Music Commercial Hip Hop Thread

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters

Absolute King of Hip Hop right now. Suge isn't relevant anymore but I can't recall the last time someone called him out like that.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Been listening to this loads. Helps that I love Flatbush Zombies.

haram

Absolute King of Hip Hop right now. Suge isn't relevant anymore but I can't recall the last time someone called him out like that.
Terrible song tbh. He is far from the king of hip hop and managed to get washed by Tory Lanez of all people.

lsd

The Oracle

Like the video and message his flow is just weak to me though

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You think Joyner Lucas is the king of hip hop? :houllier:

The consensus was that Tory won that battle anyway.
No. I disagree that the song is terrible and that Tory won. I don't care about the consensus, the consensus is that Nas beat Jay Z but I disagree with that too.

haram

No. I disagree that the song is terrible and that Tory won. I don't care about the consensus, the consensus is that Nas beat Jay Z but I disagree with that too.
Well you said totally disagree so that would include the remark about Joyner being the king.

Apart from that, Joyner is mediocre in general.

Lay

Well you said totally disagree so that would include the remark about Joyner being the king.

Apart from that, Joyner is mediocre in general.
I think he's good. I think he's unpolished in some areas but I like that he tries to be creative. That song isn't exactly creating something new but I like it.

haram

I think he's good. I think he's unpolished in some areas but I like that he tries to be creative. That song isn't exactly creating something new but I like it.
A lot of it could be written by a 16 year old.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Thoughts on Arizona Baby?

Some great tracks on there. Not amazing as an overall album but I love Peach, Baby Boy and Joy Ride, Georgia and Crumble.
Peach is fantastic. Georgia and Crumble are good too.

Not really a big fan of the rest. A bit like all of Brockhampton - I don’t think any of them are interesting enough to hold a full project on their own.

DWelbz19

New Tyler tomorrow I hope we’re all excited

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat

I don't get the love for the song, tbh Joyner is terrible lyrically, he tells good stories though, Ross Capicchioni is a great story, totally true too the guy actually survived and he tells the story himself.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
New Tyler tomorrow I hope we’re all excited
I'm worried it's gonna be shit. People are saying they've heard leaks and he's hardly rapping on it. But Flower Boy was amazing so I have faith, maybe they're lying.

DWelbz19

I'm worried it's gonna be shit. People are saying they've heard leaks and he's hardly rapping on it. But Flower Boy was amazing so I have faith, maybe they're lying.
The little snippets on YouTube he’s uploaded sound good so far to be fair

Flower Boy was incredible. No rap at all would be a little shit, though. Hopefully he gives us a few ‘Ain’t Got Time’ tier tracks.

And a Frank Ocean collab. Which is more than CHIRP CHIRP :(

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I think Ether was a more impressive song in terms of the rhyme scheme, but Takeover was factual. It felt more calculated. I've listened to Ether way more times than Takeover though so I can't really say Takeover won.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think Ether was a more impressive song in terms of the rhyme scheme, but Takeover was factual. It felt more calculated. I've listened to Ether way more times than Takeover though so I can't really say Takeover won.
Takeover was more calculated. But this was a rap battle, not a college debate. And if Jay-Z brought a sniper rifle to a gun fight, Nas brought a cannon.

Both songs had equal proportions of fact to embellishment.

Yes. "4 albums in ten years..." beats anything Nas replied with. I prefer Nas over Jay though in general.
Factually not true (only Nastradamus was eh/doo). And a bit rich of Jay-Z to say that, given that his output post Reasonable Doubt was dumbed down (as he alluded to on Moment of Clarity).

Lay

Really? You think that one line was better than the whole Ether song?
Bar for bar, yes. Beats "dick sucking lips"; "no moustache having", "compared to Beans you're wack" (:lol:). It was a lot of playground disses. The 'it' factor was how raw it was, it came out swinging with the Tupac "feck Jay-Z" lyric, but over time I just feel its a bit childish. That doesn't mean it was a wack track, I just prefer Takeover, the one and only verse going at Nas.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Bar for bar, yes. Beats "dick sucking lips"; "no moustache having", "compared to Beans you're wack" (:lol:). It was a lot of playground disses. The 'it' factor was how raw it was, it came out swinging with the Tupac "feck Jay-Z" lyric, but over time I just feel its a bit childish.
Those are the lines that stick out for you from Ether?

Calling my crib I ain't even give you my number
Foxy kept you hot cause she kept your face in her puss

Come on.

Lay

Those are the lines that stick out for you from Ether?

Calling my crib I ain't even give you my number
Foxy kept you hot cause she kept your face in her puss

Come on.
Are you denying the lines I quoted aren't childish as feck. There was the karate line that was hilarious too.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Are you denying the lines I quoted aren't childish as feck. There was the karate line that was hilarious too.
If you looking at through those lenses every hip hop diss track has childish lines.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Bar for bar, yes. Beats "dick sucking lips"; "no moustache having", "compared to Beans you're wack" (:lol:). It was a lot of playground disses. The 'it' factor was how raw it was, it came out swinging with the Tupac "feck Jay-Z" lyric, but over time I just feel its a bit childish. That doesn't mean it was a wack track, I just prefer Takeover, the one and only verse going at Nas.
The lines about Jay stealing lines from Biggie imo hit harder that that one line from takeover, then the subsequent tracks... well lets say Jay was subpar, tbf it was a made up commercial beef imo, both benefited from it in the end.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The lines about Jay stealing lines from Biggie imo hit harder that that one line from takeover, then the subsequent tracks... well lets say Jay was subpar, tbf it was a made up commercial beef imo, both benefited from it in the end.
I think Jay did it for the clout but took it seriously later, Nas definitely took it personal, he talks about it in this track:

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
I think Jay did it for the clout but took it seriously later, Nas definitely took it personal, he talks about it in this track:

If you look at some interviews of Nas and listen to his songs you can see he is a lot more emotional than Jay, I can see how that could have happened.

Lay

If you looking at through those lenses every hip hop diss track has childish lines.
Of course, but Ether gets a lot of praise even though it’s laced with foolishness. I have no problems with people claiming Nas won, the beef definitely reigniting his career but I’ll still have takeover over ether.