Music Commercial Hip Hop Thread

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Anyone listen to Future's new album? It all sounds the same to me (vocals, beats) , maybe I just don't get his music.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
There's this weird (well, not so weird) phenomenon going on where people hate Cole because of his fanbase's devotion.
I don't hate Cole because of his fanbase's devotion.
I hate his fans because they have no objectivity - everything he does is amazing, when it isn't always the case.
Because of this, he could release his b-sides from FHD on Wednesday at 9pm EST and it will still do upwards of 200k before the end of the weekly sales cycle.
So for him to say;
"feck if you feel me, you ain't got a choice
Now I ain't do no promo, still made all that noise
" on Middle Child - sure it's a flex, but anything he puts out will make 'all that noise'.
It's not necessarily a testament to his quality.
Drake is in the same boat, Drake's last 3 albums have fallen short of where they should be, so have Cole's last 2 but equally they've been the most commercially successful of their careers. It remains to be seen whether Kendrick will fall victim to this too, DAMN wasn't as good as TPAB or GKMC, but it was still a very good rap album (his fans struggle to unable to identify any of his flaws too) but that's more my criticism of his fan base.
He tells them that he wont put any other producers on his tracks, and he won't have any guest features and they'll still continue to support it, despite it (so far) falling short of where his quality should be.

Also I guess for me, President of the Beyhive, when people talk about 'stan culture' and various fanbases are marred as toxic - Beyonce, Kanye, Taylor Swift, Drake etc.
I think Cole's fanbase should also be looked at with similar contempt - but because he makes the 'right' kind of music, (respectability politics) his fans don't get the same scrutiny. And they should. "It takes a certain amount of intelligence to get J cole" isn't a meme for no reason, especially when his lyrics really aren't complex, at all.
ColeHive deserve criticism, just like the other stan groups do.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Anyone listen to Future's new album? It all sounds the same to me (vocals, beats) , maybe I just don't get his music.
Yeah, i'm not a big Future fan though tbh but I tried and couldn't make it past the 5th song.
I've never got it with him, even his biggest tracks, I don't think there's many Future fans on this forum though.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Yeah, i'm not a big Future fan though tbh but I tried and couldn't make it past the 5th song.
I've never got it with him, even his biggest tracks, I don't think there's many Future fans on this forum though.
Which is quite surprising he does seem to have a big fan base and his records always sell.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I don't hate Cole because of his fanbase's devotion.
I hate his fans because they have no objectivity - everything he does is amazing, when it isn't always the case.
Because of this, he could release his b-sides from FHD on Wednesday at 9pm EST and it will still do upwards of 200k before the end of the weekly sales cycle.
So for him to say;
"feck if you feel me, you ain't got a choice
Now I ain't do no promo, still made all that noise
" on Middle Child - sure it's a flex, but anything he puts out will make 'all that noise'.
It's not necessarily a testament to his quality.
Drake is in the same boat, Drake's last 3 albums have fallen short of where they should be, so have Cole's last 2 but equally they've been the most commercially successful of their careers. It remains to be seen whether Kendrick will fall victim to this too, DAMN wasn't as good as TPAB or GKMC, but it was still a very good rap album (his fans struggle to unable to identify any of his flaws too) but that's more my criticism of his fan base.
He tells them that he wont put any other producers on his tracks, and he won't have any guest features and they'll still continue to support it, despite it (so far) falling short of where his quality should be.

Also I guess for me, President of the Beyhive, when people talk about 'stan culture' and various fanbases are marred as toxic - Beyonce, Kanye, Taylor Swift, Drake etc.
I think Cole's fanbase should also be looked at with similar contempt - but because he makes the 'right' kind of music, (respectability politics) his fans don't get the same scrutiny. And they should. "It takes a certain amount of intelligence to get J cole" isn't a meme for no reason, especially when his lyrics really aren't complex, at all.
ColeHive deserve criticism, just like the other stan groups do.
I wasn't talking about you, you've actually given him a chance, which is a lot more than I can say for other people.

I said my original post because I used to be like that with the Beyhive. I became a convert soon after I heard Lemonade :lol:

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Which is quite surprising he does seem to have a big fan base and his records always sell.
FutureHive is very strong in it's support of him.
His rapping voice sounds like one of the grandpas in the Simpsons to me.

I wasn't talking about you, you've actually given him a chance, which is a lot more than I can say for other people.

I said my original post because I used to be like that with the Beyhive. I became a convert soon after I heard Lemonade :lol:
The Beyhive is always accepting members who have found the light.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Also Drake tickets go on sale tomorrow, Tory Lanez is the opening act.

£140 for standing tickets though, he can feck off :lol:

I still want to go

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Also Drake tickets go on sale tomorrow, Tory Lanez is the opening act.

£140 for standing tickets though, he can feck off :lol:

I still want to go
I hate to say it, but Drake puts on a great show.

If the tickets are close to the stage I'd go.

Seeing Meek in March in Philadelphia, that will be insane to see how he performs at home.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I hate to say it, but Drake puts on a great show.

If the tickets are close to the stage I'd go.

Seeing Meek in March in Philadelphia, that will be insane to see how he performs at home.
No doubt it will be a great show, 2 hours of nothing but Drake classics? Sounds majestic.
But his price point is ridiculous, and he needs a better opening act.

Meek in Philly should be amazing, i'm not a big fan but that will be great for entertainment and hype

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
If this is true how and why was this kept a secret for so long. Slick Rick and Monie Love were born in the UK and they are considered Hip Hop legends.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
How did American authorities not find out earlier that he had British nationality? What am I missing here?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Mumble person*, it's not rap.
It would be pretty funny if he actually is just a fake mumble person. From the UK, moving to Atlanta to become a huge mumble rapper. Now has to move back and it turns out he is this great technical grime rapper

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Up and coming UK Rapper Cadet (Underrated Legend) killed in taxi smash.

lsd

The Oracle
Anyone mad that Cardi B won best Rap Album? :lol:

Considering Macklemore won it once over Kendrick nope .

I'm just glad Drake or Post Malone didn't win it as they really have no clue what rap actually is .

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Considering Macklemore won it once over Kendrick nope .

I'm just glad Drake or Post Malone didn't win it as they really have no clue what rap actually is .
Was Macklemore what tipped it over the edge for you? In terms of creditability

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Grammys have always been terrible. But, Invasion of Privacy as best rap album is not a terrible choice. Come to think about neither is Kacey Musgraves as best album. "This Is America" winning Record of the Year, Song of the Year and Hip Hop Song of the Year is a complete travesty. Great video but, the song overall is crap.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Grammys have always been terrible. But, Invasion of Privacy as best rap album is not a terrible choice. Come to think about neither is Kacey Musgraves as best album. "This Is America" winning Record of the Year, Song of the Year and Hip Hop Song of the Year is a complete travesty. Great video but, the song overall is crap.
I genuinely agree with this. You could potentially argue for Daytona over IoP (from a purely lyrical perspective) but rap is commercial now, it is the highest grossing music genre globally I believe, so it makes sense to reward the most commercially successful rapper of the year - which is Cardi.

Couldn't agree more on This Is America. It was a great visual, but as a song - can anybody say they still listen to it? It was certainly impactful when it was released, but other than that pretty terrible song overall.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I genuinely agree with this. You could potentially argue for Daytona over IoP (from a purely lyrical perspective) but rap is commercial now, it is the highest grossing music genre globally I believe, so it makes sense to reward the most commercially successful rapper of the year - which is Cardi.

Couldn't agree more on This Is America. It was a great visual, but as a song - can anybody say they still listen to it? It was certainly impactful when it was released, but other than that pretty terrible song overall.
I was not even think about commercial success. I think Invasion of Privacy was simply one of the best Hip Hop albums of the last year.