Congratulations to Guardiola for his first Champions League title without Messi/Xavi/Iniesta at their peak

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Where's the Pep sack watch thread gone?

All the rubbish in that thread claiming Pep to be better than SAF and footballs greatest ever manager and he serves up this shit in the CL final. The fellow has the best team yet again, superior to Chelsea on paper and one he's had aeons to work with compared to Tuchel, and they put on that hopeless display in the final. All that investment and still no CL at City. Some refuse to accept that he is relatively unproven against the odds like a SAF or Mourinho is, but just loom at him - even with the odds in his favour he couldn't deliver the CL in 5 years. It's a definite blot on his record.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Where's the Pep sack watch thread gone?

All the rubbish in that thread claiming Pep to be better than SAF and footballs greatest ever manager and he serves up this shit in the CL final. The fellow has the best team yet again, superior to Chelsea on paper and one he's had aeons to work with compared to Tuchel, and they put on that hopeless display in the final. All that investment and still no CL at City. Some refuse to accept that he is relatively unproven against the odds like a SAF or Mourinho is, but just loom at him - even with the odds in his favour he couldn't deliver the CL in 5 years. It's a definite blot on his record.
His utter failure at Bayern is arguably worse because that was an astonishing team he inherited and not one that had arguably peaked.

At somepoint people will come to realise he's just a prettier LVG.

10 years without a Champions League trophy with the squads he has had at his disposal. He's not fit to lace Fergie's boots. feck, i'd take Ancelotti over him.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
His utter failure at Bayern is arguably worse because that was an astonishing team he inherited and not one that had arguably peaked.

At somepoint people will come to realise he's just a prettier LVG.

10 years without a Champions League trophy with the squads he has had at his disposal. He's not fit to lace Fergie's boots. feck, i'd take Ancelotti over him.
I actually think he's an all time great and CLs are hard to come by but the mythical image some have built of him of being this untouchable manager who has no flaws, is rather amusing. Whereas looking at his career it's obvious that he usually needs to be the alpha player with more than his rivals, and has never proven to thrive when the odds are against him.

I mean, his biggest strength is tactics, he's more a modern coach than a complete manager as the old school ones were, and he still managed to feck them up last night playing no DM :lol: All that money spent and still unable to buy the CL

gajender

I actually think he's an all time great and CLs are hard to come by but the mythical image some have built of him of being this untouchable manager who has no flaws, is rather amusing. Whereas looking at his career it's obvious that he usually needs to be the alpha player with more than his rivals, and has never proven to thrive when the odds are against him.

I mean, his biggest strength is tactics, he's more a modern coach than a complete manager as the old school ones were, and he still managed to feck them up last night playing no DM :lol: All that money spent and still unable to buy the CL
There is a contradiction in there his tactics should actually allow him to do more even with less .
Thing is this current iteration of City is the weakest of his regime after his first season and Chelsea stylistically were more than even match for them Under Tuchel but way they completely shat the bed was quite amusing and it started with Guardiola's team selection .

weltcheftrainer

Supports
schalke
He is a very good coach. I think Chelsea is simply the stronger side. The idea that a random fan or reporter understands more of football tactics than Guardiola is just ridicoulus.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
He is a very good coach. I think Chelsea is simply the stronger side. The idea that a random fan or reporter understands more of football tactics than Guardiola is just ridicoulus.
I don't think that idea is in the air though, is it?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
"Take the ball, pass the ball. play with the ball, make love to the ball". -Pep

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

When have the odds ever been against him?

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
His style is great for putting away sides in the league routinely, but when the other team has that little bit extra to draw on and fight for, his sides go missing. They don’t have that extra special talent like his Barca sides did.

The job he’s done at city mystifies me a little. He’s spent almost a billion? on that squad. Yet you look at players like Stones Ederson Walker Zinchenko Sterling Mahrez Rodri etc he’s turned them at their peak in to players that can wipe the floor with this league. But when you look at them it just never looks great, like it can always just break. There’s no doubting his coaching ability, and the adjustments he’s made this season. Just a little weird.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Having said that, overthinking in a final and doing something brand new tactically is not what you want to be attempting. Especially against a Tuchel managed side with quality players and pace that can hurt you.

Not playing the same way and not even using a single DM cost them.

Red Star One

Having said that, overthinking in a final and doing something brand new tactically is not what you want to be attempting. Especially against a Tuchel managed side with quality players and pace that can hurt you.

Not playing the same way and not even using a single DM cost them.
Well put and there’s two words for that - poor management

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
From 2018: Yaya Toures agent Dimitry Seluk:"Pep turned all Africa against himself for how he treated Yaya. And I’m sure that many African shamans in the future will not allow Guardiola to win the Champions League. This will be for Guardiola an African curse. Life will show whether I am right or not"

It's already over.
:lol:

Marwood

His style is great for putting away sides in the league routinely, but when the other team has that little bit extra to draw on and fight for, his sides go missing. They don’t have that extra special talent like his Barca sides did.

The job he’s done at city mystifies me a little. He’s spent almost a billion? on that squad. Yet you look at players like Stones Ederson Walker Zinchenko Sterling Mahrez Rodri etc he’s turned them at their peak in to players that can wipe the floor with this league. But when you look at them it just never looks great, like it can always just break. There’s no doubting his coaching ability, and the adjustments he’s made this season. Just a little weird.
I don't think he's wiped the floor with those players though. It was with Aguero, Silva, Konpany etc where they looked really dominant.

This current group have just looked decent. Enough to win the league this year but I don't think that says too much.

It'll be interesting next year. If City don't improve(unlikely I know) I think it'll be tricky for them.

Paul_Scholes18

Congrats City for getting the league cup in 2022. Here hopefully this fecks them so we can win that trophy.

weltcheftrainer

Supports
schalke
I don't think that idea is in the air though, is it?
Yes it is. All the ones who claim that his tactics were wrong essentially say they know it better. They lost now three times in a row to Chelsea and they tried different formations in the games before. It didn't help. Chelsea was the better team in all three games. Maybe they are just the better team.

Red Star One

Yes it is. All the ones who claim that his tactics were wrong essentially say they know it better. They lost now three times in a row to Chelsea and they tried different formations in the games before. It didn't help. Chelsea was the better team in all three games. Maybe they are just the better team.
Mate if majority of football community, me included, agrees that yesterday Pep made grave tactical mistakes it does not mean we claim to be better managers.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Maybe the random fan or reporter don't know more about football than Guardiola does, but that does not mean their criticisms are not fair.

Also, it's not just reporters or fans who are having a go at him:

Pep Guardiola "stole the Champions League" from Manchester City supporters, according to Lothar Matthaus, who says the head coach deserves "harsh criticism" for his team selection in the final.

"With his line-up he stole the Champions League from the club and the fans and he has to rightly listen to the harsh criticism from all sides," the Bayern Munich legend said of Guardiola, who coached at Allianz Arena between 2012 and 2015, in his latest column for Sky Germany.

"I am sure that there will be internal discussions about whether to part with him. The players will doubt him since that final.

"He had to try something again, present an imaginary ingenuity at the worst possible moment and totally deserved to lose.

"How can you play without a defensive midfielder in the most important game in club history, who was on the pitch in almost every game of the season, who ensures the balance, who gives everyone involved the necessary security?

"Why did he leave Rodri and/or Fernandinho out, start six attacking players and also play without a centre-forward?"

https://www.goal.com/en-ae/news/gua...ans-man-city-boss-/1j3hmovqokgew1ud0jykoi4k5h

OleBoiii

I like this anti-jinx. Even if it failed the topic is still full of shots at Pep, which works as a consolation price.

Take notes, anti-jinxers!

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
If what pep did was so simple we'd be see many other Guardiola like teams around. Fact is for every sugar daddy club there's only one pep..

Red Star One

I like this anti-jinx. Even if it failed the topic is still full of shots at Pep, which works as a consolation price.

Take notes, anti-jinxers!
Not sure what failure you’re talking about when I was opening a bottle of Moet seeing this line up already