Conor McGregor thread.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Youre not a bodybuilder Conor. Your lats aren't that big. Put your arms down you pleb.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It's funny 99.9% of people in my gym walk around like that.

Though granted most people in my gym probably have to due to the deforming effect having guargantuan steroidy muscles.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
He has lost his speed during past 3-5 years. So, he has bulked up himself to be another type of fighter. Instead of bodybuilding, I think he should practice a lot of jiu-jitsu and ground game. :)

Beans

Supports
Neutral
You have to admit that the sport keeps improving. I thought Conor would dominate 155 after the Alvarez fight (I certainly thought he'd go back down to 145 to defend again). He could have been the best ever at 145, that fight against Mendes was so much fun, he was grinning at the guy from the bottom line a madman, seemed Invincible through sheer determination. And a frightening striker.

The Diaz made him look average. Of course most guys would look average fighting up two weight divisions. But it seemed to break the magic spell. Or maybe it was all the Mayweather money. He doesn't seem to care anymore. Not that I can blame him, I would go soft too with that kind of money.

Him being an idiot is another issue of course.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Conor is a weird case.

He has managed to ''win life'' in the sense that he can literally buy anything he wants

But at the same time, it doesn't appear that it has made him a truly happy person.

On a bussiness level I think he deserves our respect and appreciation, dude has made football/boxing money in MMA through incredibly smart personal branding

But then again, I don't find his use of social media particularly entertaining or inspiring given the enourmous platform he has. He could do much better than just lashing out at people.
He almost definitely couldn't.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
He's such a complete and utter prick.

I hope he suffers a small misfortune in the near future.

dal

I like Conor, it’s mostly show.

Corden can fakoff.

flameinthesun

You have to admit that the sport keeps improving. I thought Conor would dominate 155 after the Alvarez fight (I certainly thought he'd go back down to 145 to defend again). He could have been the best ever at 145, that fight against Mendes was so much fun, he was grinning at the guy from the bottom line a madman, seemed Invincible through sheer determination. And a frightening striker.

The Diaz made him look average. Of course most guys would look average fighting up two weight divisions. But it seemed to break the magic spell. Or maybe it was all the Mayweather money. He doesn't seem to care anymore. Not that I can blame him, I would go soft too with that kind of money.

Him being an idiot is another issue of course.
The conor train was always going to be brought back to earth due to the gaps in his game. I'd have favoured Aldo if they had had a rematch and Mendez if he had had a full camp.

He was very smart in his fight selection and the UFC was very accommodating. He didn't spend long enough at the top of the featherweight div to truly get tested the way GSP, Silva and Jones have been tested through their reigns. As soon as he jumped to lightweight and could no longer rely on his reach advantage and power the gaps in his game were made more apparent.

He's not even on the radar of being a GOAT at featherweight let alone lightweight. When you take away his hype and carefull fight selection hes really just another heavy hitting talented striker of which there have been many who have come and gone.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Is there any chance he can fight Justin Gaethe (sp) or Tony Ferguson? Not a hardcore UFC fan but watched the above two fighters square off and what a fight. Reckon either of them beats this has been.

cyberman

The conor train was always going to be brought back to earth due to the gaps in his game. I'd have favoured Aldo if they had had a rematch and Mendez if he had had a full camp.

He was very smart in his fight selection and the UFC was very accommodating. He didn't spend long enough at the top of the featherweight div to truly get tested the way GSP, Silva and Jones have been tested through their reigns. As soon as he jumped to lightweight and could no longer rely on his reach advantage and power the gaps in his game were made more apparent.

He's not even on the radar of being a GOAT at featherweight let alone lightweight. When you take away his hype and carefull fight selection hes really just another heavy hitting talented striker of which there have been many who have come and gone.
Young Conor only had gaps in the ground. Standing he was a monster. It’s not even about being exposed, he has simply forgotten how to fight in the way that brought him success. He ended up being static with the left cocked and nothing else. Mendes and Aldi fell to shit after their losses, I think Conor beats them again.

Brophs

The One and Only
Neither. Nor does he have anything to do with MMA. That’s why I’m intrigued!
Does he by any chance have a strong interest in being punched in the face by a gacked up nutter for refusing a free drink in the pub? Just trying to join the dots here.

flameinthesun

Young Conor only had gaps in the ground. Standing he was a monster. It’s not even about being exposed, he has simply forgotten how to fight in the way that brought him success. He ended up being static with the left cocked and nothing else. Mendes and Aldi fell to shit after their losses, I think Conor beats them again.
See that's where I'd disagree. When you strip away the hype there is not much difference between young conor and a lot of other young talented strikers that have come through. Plenty of other strikers have blasted their way to a title shot or a title win. Once at the top they can't really rely on cherry picking opponents etc which is where they end up getting found out, usually by wrestlers or just more complete fighters. Exactly the same thing happened with Conor, the only wrestler he faced at FW was Mendez who had what, 1 weeks notice? and struggled. As soon as he reached the top he fell away as many other talented strikers have done due to gaps in their game. Hes a very good fighter, potentially an elite striker, but not an elite fighter to be up there with GSP, Silva, Jones, DJ.

cyberman

See that's where I'd disagree. When you strip away the hype there is not much difference between young conor and a lot of other young talented strikers that have come through. Plenty of other strikers have blasted their way to a title shot or a title win. Once at the top they can't really rely on cherry picking opponents etc which is where they end up getting found out, usually by wrestlers or just more complete fighters. Exactly the same thing happened with Conor, the only wrestler he faced at FW was Mendez who had what, 1 weeks notice? and struggled. As soon as he reached the top he fell away as many other talented strikers have done due to gaps in their game. Hes a very good fighter, potentially an elite striker, but not an elite fighter to be up there with GSP, Silva, Jones, DJ.
To be fair others haven’t gone out in a limb as Conor has. Who dominates a division, moves up to get beat every second fight and doesn’t immediately move back to his division right after? It’s hard to say not carrying a skill set up a division is a black mark since nobody really does it. Look who Izzy is fighting next. Look why Khabib didn’t move up etc.
I honestly see two different fighters now. maybe it’s to conserve his shit gas tank but the light on his feet, in and out movement is dead. He isn’t using kicks to move opponents back around to his left hand anymore. He just stands there with his hands pawing out looking for a left hand.

ZupZup

You cannot be a 'part-time' top MMA fighter. He got to the top but if you don't live the life, you won't stay there.

Too many other good fighters are at the gym testing themselves every single day, eating right and staying sober.

flameinthesun

To be fair others haven’t gone out in a limb as Conor has. Who dominates a division, moves up to get beat every second fight and doesn’t immediately move back to his division right after? It’s hard to say not carrying a skill set up a division is a black mark since nobody really does it. Look who Izzy is fighting next. Look why Khabib didn’t move up etc.
I honestly see two different fighters now. maybe it’s to conserve his shit gas tank but the light on his feet, in and out movement is dead. He isn’t using kicks to move opponents back around to his left hand anymore. He just stands there with his hands pawing out looking for a left hand.
I get your point and I'll definitely give credit to Conor regarding creating/sustaining his hype as well as making risky but smart decisions. Looking back at his FW record I may have been a bit harsh on him in that div as he has a good record. The lack of multiple title defences is what hurts him though. In LW div he's just another talented striker which makes sense as its way more stacked than FW and he doesn't have a gigantic reach advantage on most fighters.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
How does Pogue have time for friends; between posting, eating and sleeping what's left in a day ? Also how does he not know what his friends do? And why would his friend tell him he was meeting a massive scumbag and not tell him why?

Pogue's friend is either leaving clues in case he's killed, or like the wife and job, Pogue just made him up.

Brophs

The One and Only
How does Pogue have time for friends; between posting, eating and sleeping what's left in a day ? Also how does he not know what his friends do? And why would his friend tell him he was meeting a massive scumbag and not tell him why?

Pogue's friend is either leaving clues in case he's killed, or like the wife and job, Pogue just made him up.
Also did you ever notice how Pogue is never the doctor when they’re removing stuff from your butty in the emergency room? Makes you wonder does he even have a medical degree at all.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Also did you ever notice how Pogue is never the doctor when they’re removing stuff from your butty in the emergency room? Makes you wonder does he even have a medical degree at all.
Brophs, I've explained before the only overlap in the Venn diagram of our lives is Redcafe. Tennis, flavoured water and butt stuff is your bag. I like coffee and not having to talk to people in person.

Brophs

The One and Only
Brophs, I've explained before the only overlap in the Venn diagram of our lives is Redcafe. Tennis, flavoured water and butt stuff is your bag. I like coffee and not having to talk to people in person.
Haven’t swung a racquet in anger in over a year.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Yer man is winding me up. I do believe he’s meeting McG but he’s determined to make me beg for more information. And I’m determined to not give him the pleasure. So we’re stuck in the WhatsApp equivalent of a Mexican stand-off. This whole thing may never get mentioned again.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Yer man is winding me up. I do believe he’s meeting McG but he’s determined to make me beg for more information. And I’m determined to not give him the pleasure. So we’re stuck in the WhatsApp equivalent of a Mexican stand-off. This whole thing may never get mentioned again.
Well that's not gonna work for me to be honest.

Ah he'll crack. I'm sure of it.