Contact lost with Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 | 8th March 2014

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Maybe it was an engine issue and the aircraft plunge into the sea nose first, one explanation why their is no wreakage found yet and only 2 oil slicks spotted.
The outright loss of one engine needn't lead to disaster though, and the way it just disappeared from tracking would have to be accounted for somewhere.

Is the aircraft's computer vulnerable perhaps, do the means exist for a terrorist(s) to hack into the system either on the ground or during the flight?

pauldyson1uk

The outright loss of one engine needn't lead to disaster though, and the way it just disappeared from tracking would have to be accounted for somewhere.

Is the aircraft's computer vulnerable perhaps, do the means exist for a terrorist(s) to hack into the system either on the ground or during the flight?
Good point, maybe loss of both engines, coupled with a complete electrical faliure, that would expaine the loss of signal, but what are the odds on that happening.
It is all very strange and wont be cleared up untill the black boxes are found, of they ever are.

x42bn6

I'm a British national and have flown in and out Malaysia a couple of times (via KLIA). However, the last two times I did so, the outbound passport checks didn't seem exactly that stringent.

The inbound checks are obviously more stringent, but even then, it wasn't much. Both times, I spoke with the officer in Malay and I still got asked a few basic questions.

However, I'm less sure these stolen passports would get through Chinese passport control.

If it was terrorism, I'm sure someone would have claimed responsibility by now. But the last bit I mentioned above - getting through Chinese passport control - if these people were indeed terrorists, maybe they never intended to go through passport control...

Security-wise, though, KLIA is not a third-world airport with rubbish facilities and lax security. KLIA was built so that Malaysia could keep up with the booming aviation industry in the region (i.e. Singapore and Thailand). It's a gorgeous airport - a white elephant of sorts, a vanity project of a former Prime Minister of Malaysia.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
It may be spread over a very large distance. An explosion at 30,000 feet would see the wreckage spread over miles, which would make finding it more difficult.
Depends on a lot of things, did the bomb cause the jet to disentigrate into a bunch of pieces or just knock it out of the air so it hit the water in on large piece (more or less). Then it also depends on what happened to the piece or pieces when they hit the water (did it sink mostly intact, come apart, a bit of both), the conditions of the water (waves, currents, etc).

MDFC Manager

A terrorist act would by now have been claimed by the terrorist entity. Think we can rule it out for the time being.

If these two passports were stolen back in 2012, how on earth did they not show up at check-in or boarding? Surely once you enter a stolen passport in to the system, it alerts the authorities immediately.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
They are now saying on news that as many a 5 people on board could have had fake passports. Still unconfirmed.

Hitchcocker

No descend, stolen passports, missing off radar, debris found - points to a terrorist attack? :( I am gutted.

alastair

ignorant
It's almost like the plot in Thunderball when Spectre hijack a plane and just make it disappear.

This is so bizarre. How can a plane just vanish in this day and age? Surely they must be accessible on a radar system? Was it disabled? Really scary.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
the plane probably didn't exist :)

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Surely there must be plenty of people who travel with stolen and forged passports around the world? Terrorists would hardly choose Malaysia as a target. There would have already been claims of acceptance by a group if this was a terrorist attack.

This will be a malfunction of the airline.

air_mood

Apparently the last data obtained on radar indicated the plane may have made an "air turn back". So the plot thickens. Still no sighting of debris or anything of the sort though. Instead of just searching the South China Sea, apparently they are searching the Straits of Malacca as well.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I wish there was some sort of picture that put into context the scale of a search like this because I'm sure it is the equivalent of finding a needle in a haystack when you're not even sure which farm it is in let alone barn.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
https://www.facebook.com/mikitutu

Look at the second picture. There's a picture of ships in the ocean.
Is that all the ships in the area mucking in and doing a sweep?

If so, what I mean is how does that picture scale against the potential area it could be lost in? As in, if you zoomed out of that, would that only take up a fraction of the potential area or would it be a good percentage?

hungrywing

Surely there must be plenty of people who travel with stolen and forged passports around the world? Terrorists would hardly choose Malaysia as a target. There would have already been claims of acceptance by a group if this was a terrorist attack.

Quite likely that's the only reason there hasn't been more irresponsible media speculation along those lines.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Regarding search an rescue - the depth of the water is perhaps the greater difficulty rather than the area involved. If this has to be turned over to submersibles/naval subs and oceanographic vessels the delay could indeed be months or years as somebody said.

This gets stranger and stranger, BBC now reporting.

BREAKING NEWS:

Malaysia transport minister: Missing #MH370 airliner possibly turned back.
Why is there even uncertainty over whether it did or not? On the one hand you've got radar tracking, and on the other the fact that the pilots would have radioed ATC informing them of such a decision [it's not something they'd do on a whim and leave the telling of until later].

All very mysterious at this point.

Whilst you're probably right about the claiming of responsibility and other causes for stolen passports, i don't think it has been wholly unreasonable for an attack of some sort to be considered, the manner in which it jsut vanished from high altitude offered that possibility.

x42bn6

The main motive for using stolen passports via Malaysia would be human trafficking or asylum. Stolen passports are easily-obtainable in that part of the world, and Malaysia is a hub for human trafficking. Thailand takes a slightly-harder stance (well, they're less-inept) towards this than Malaysia (and Malaysian police are more-easily bribed), so it wouldn't be outlandish to go via KLIA.

Baxter

I wish there was some sort of picture that put into context the scale of a search like this because I'm sure it is the equivalent of finding a needle in a haystack when you're not even sure which farm it is in let alone barn.
On the reddit news thread there was a few people who had worked on search missions and were saying with the initial darkness in the search and then the time period passed that it is incredibly difficult to find any wreckage. They also said that during searches from the air it is easy for them to fly over the area and miss the debris.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
The homing signal on the black boxes is only going to be emitted or so long [a month i believe, either China or the USN will need to to deploy assets suitable to that task instead of search and rescue if this continues for much longer.

air_mood

The main motive for using stolen passports via Malaysia would be human trafficking or asylum. Stolen passports are easily-obtainable in that part of the world, and Malaysia is a hub for human trafficking. Thailand takes a slightly-harder stance (well, they're less-inept) towards this than Malaysia (and Malaysian police are more-easily bribed), so it wouldn't be outlandish to go via KLIA.
Eh? Where are you getting your info?

wr8_utd

:'(
I don't think the passport issue is anything major. Apparently in the Air India crash some 2-3 years ago, there were around 20 people with fake passports.

air_mood

Well, it is, mostly inbound (you've seen or heard of illegal workers in Malaysia, and RELA, I presume), but there are a lot of people using Malaysia via transit, too. Just take a look at reports on Human Rights Watch or pages on the UNHCR.
So there's no illegal workers everywhere else? Especially since you're talking inbound. There's plenty of foreigners and refugees here but saying Malaysia is a human trafficking hub? Well, that's just bullcrap. Especially since the country that you're comparing to is Thailand. A lot of people using Malaysia via transit? Heathrow is the busiest airport in the world, so is it a human trafficking hub?