Conte | Spurs Manager

Paul_Scholes18

I really don't think they have a good squad. They are so heavily reliant on kane and son. Wonder what their % output was last year in goals and assists. If kane and son stay fit for the entire season then they'll probably get 3rd or 4th with others contributing.

In summary Spurs always flatten to deceive. Its in thier DNA. When it matters they don't deliver despite historically having better teams than they have now. Thier defence is OK but not title winning especially with Dier at the back. Midfield solid enough but not creative enough. Wheres the goals in that midfield.

I rekon they'll start the season well. But when ucl kicks in let's see.
I think they have the best attack in the league, but agree the depth is not as good. When I said squad I talked mainly about the first 11. I think players like Romero and Davies for example are really good players. Dier they could replace though.

It looks though that City might sell some big attacking names and put more faith in Haaland. If he do not perform as well as Kane then Spurs got a chance.

The difference is the attacking midfield City got that is the best in the world with KDB. The front 3 for City aren't that good I think at least Spurs is better. Pep always rotates them, but it is since he has no clear star before they got Haaland.
Sterling and Mahrez Pep do not fully trust. They are good, but not Son good.

Yes UCL might be a factor if Kane can't cope with all the games. I think he can though, but we will see.

I think Haaland might struggle more in terms of fitness, but he got no world cup so can recover then. KDB has had injuries so this season could be hard for him, but likely Pep will rotate him in CL and still qualify from the group.

kthanksbye

He's had 5, been dumped out of the group stage in 3 of them and only won one knockout game which was against Celtic almost a decade ago.

It's beyond bad for a manager of his calibre. He has everything to prove in the UCL.
This is his European record.

With Juve
12-13 - (his first season in the CL) - Lost to Bayern in the quarter final. Bayern won the CL
13-14 - Finished 3rd. Lost in the Europa SF to Benfica.

With Chelsea
17-18 - Qualified from a group that had Roma and Atletico. Lost to Barca in the RO16.

With Inter
19-20 Finished 3rd in a group that had Dortmund and Barcelona. Lost Europa Final against Sevilla.

It's not disastrous considering the fact that he's won league title/s everywhere it was expected of him, sure the 3rd place finishes look bad like this, but for a manager who is consistently winning/competing for league titles, he has to improve here only slightly. I'd be okay with the consistent last 8 finishes in the CL, an occasional final here and there.

The thing about CL/KO competitions is that I don't like to judge managers based on them, league finishes and style of football over CL finishes for me. Others can disagree.
I don't remember the 5th you're talking about.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
I think players like Romero and Davies for example are really good players. Dier they could replace though.
Romero could low key be one of the best CB's next season, he really looks the goods. Dier had a good season, I never really rated him much in a back 2, but looks like marshalling a back three from that central position suits him.

You what mate?
I made a comment about not having creativity in midfield, another poster said 'well where is Liverpool's creative midfielder?' to which I responded 'when you have players of the calibre of TAA and Robertson as your full backs with 27 goal contributions you can get away with it'.

You then said 'isnt that exactly the point we are making'. To me this suggests that you are saying that you do not need creativity because you have wing backs in the same league as TAA and Robertson. Your wing backs range from mediocre to average. Perisic is interesting I will admit, lets see how a 33 y/o gets on in the PL.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Bissouma at 25 is a brilliant signing. Spurs will definitely be a club to watch out for next season. They will make it a bit harder for us to get top four if things doesn't blow up there. Any other regular coach, I would not be so concerned with Spurs, but I m sure Conte will instill a winning mentality there

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Romero could low key be one of the best CB's next season, he really looks the goods. Dier had a good season, I never really rated him much in a back 2, but looks like marshalling a back three from that central position suits him.

I made a comment about not having creativity in midfield, another poster said 'well where is Liverpool's creative midfielder?' to which I responded 'when you have players of the calibre of TAA and Robertson as your full backs with 27 goal contributions you can get away with it'.

You then said 'isnt that exactly the point we are making'. To me this suggests that you are saying that you do not need creativity because you have wing backs in the same league as TAA and Robertson. Your wing backs range from mediocre to average. Perisic is interesting I will admit, lets see how a 33 y/o gets on in the PL.
The jump you made from me saying Conte's current system relies on wing backs for a lot of creativity to you thinking that means I think Spurs wing backs are as good as Liverpool's is amazing. I mean it is obvious I was saying 'yes look another team uses wing backs in the same way and it works well'. I honestly am at a loss where you got me comparing quality of players, that just came from the air.

Last edited:

cyberman

I know people on the Conte train have sainted him after winning a terrible race for fourth but the Spurs players have repeatedly made it clear that they don’t want to work this hard on the pitch.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I know people on the Conte train have sainted him after winning a terrible race for fourth but the Spurs players have repeatedly made it clear that they don’t want to work this hard on the pitch.
When did they make it clear? They were one of the most hard working team in PL under Poch.

cyberman

When did they make it clear? They were one of the most hard working team in PL under Poch.
By giving up at the end of Pochs reign (not even at the end, that last full league season was a disgrace in terms of effort) and under every manager who has asked them to work hard since?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
By giving up at the end of Pochs reign (not even at the end, that last full league season was a disgrace in terms of effort) and under every manager who has asked them to work hard since?
So poor results mean players made it clear they don't want to work hard?

How do you know which manager asked them to "work hard"?

Check Conte's team and Jose's team, there is one thing that's very clear. Jose's team are at bottom or close to bottom of the table in work rate, Conte's team are at the top or near the top.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Some hilarious touchline antics today but have to be honest.....thought he was poor today.

Can't complain with a point overall though.

Arios

Supports
Juventus
Guys Conte is a decent manager but even him can't fight against City and Liverpool who are much stronger and against Chelsea who spent 3 times what Tottenham spent this market window.

He is gonna geth a 4th place if he does better than expected 3rd but that's it.
He is gonna fight for CL spot against Arsenal
But you shouldn't really expect for him to fight for the league

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Guys Conte is a decent manager but even him can't fight against City and Liverpool who are much stronger and against Chelsea who spent 3 times what Tottenham spent this market window.

He is gonna geth a 4th place if he does better than expected 3rd but that's it.
He is gonna fight for CL spot against Arsenal
But you shouldn't really expect for him to fight for the league
He is a top top head coach. He is working with a much smaller budget than Utd, city, pool and Chelsea. He won the league while he coached Chelsea

RedDevilMachine

What he has done with this Spurs squad is a miracle. Besides Kane and Son, the rest of the squad is so mediocre.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

What he has done with this Spurs squad is a miracle. Besides Kane and Son, the rest of the squad is so mediocre.
Absolute miracle to be getting results after spending 90m on new signings this summer. What he's doing with Spurs really puts Leicester's 15/16 title win into perspective.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Romero is excellent (if sociopathic), Bentancur and Kulusevski are both very good, Hojbjerg is a solid player. Richarlison is a good player as is Bissouma and will be very useful additions.

He's done great work on getting improvements out of the likes of Dier, Davies and the wingbacks, as well as defensive shape in general. But it's a good squad, and when you couple that with talents like Kane and Son a very dangerous one. I think it's commendable how quickly he managed to impose himself on the side, but I don't think it's miracle work, I have them down as the 4th/5th best squad and I think that's where they'll finish. A very good manager doing a good job.

el3mel

The squad was godawful when he was hired. It looks good now thanks to their work in the market since then. If anything Conte deserves credit for improving their quality that much. His targets in the market were really good.

JuriM

The Tottenham wage bill is significantly smaller than the United one. You generally don't win the league with the relative wages Spurs are spending.
That true, not their fault we gave insane wages - but in terms of buying and selling, they have been on kind of rampage under Conte. Compared to how tight they were under Poch and even Mourinho.

tomaldinho1

He's done great work at Spurs.
He’s not really achieved anything, they got top four last season (hardly a milestone achievement for them) so this is when we should really judge him. He’s been backed, probably heavier than any Spurs manager I can recall, let’s see where they end up.