Conte | Spurs Manager

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Why doesn't Conte win cup competitions more often?

He hasn't won a CL or even an Europa - it's almost like he doesn't want to.

He can win a title regularly but not a cup as much.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

Ramblings of a madman. Spurs broke him.
This is not new with Conte, i have said for years he makes Mou even at his most aggressive look like a pussy cat. There's a reason he's at Spurs despite being bang in his prime ability wise, the top tier clubs have all come to the conclusion he's just not worth the hassle.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Why doesn't Conte win cup competitions more often?

He hasn't won a CL or even an Europa - it's almost like he doesn't want to.

He can win a title regularly but not a cup as much.
His big game record is lowkey quite poor, especially away from home (with us 2 wins and 5 defeats in 10 away games vs the "big six"). He's good with flat track bullying (for us in the title winning season we only failed to win 3 non big six games and 2 of them were daylight robbery) which in a league season can offset a so so big game record but in the Cups it's highly likely to trip you up at some point.

I think for me he really struggles against committed high pressing especially when combined with quality, i think we let him off the hook playing Lukaku in those three games vs his Spurs in January, if we let the fluid high pressing system led by Kai up top loose i think we could have handed some serious thrashings, especially in the games at The Bridge.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
His big game record is lowkey quite poor, especially away from home (with us 2 wins and 5 defeats in 10 away games vs the "big six"). He's good with flat track bullying (for us in the title winning season we only failed to win 3 non big six games and 2 of them were daylight robbery) which in a league season can offset a so so big game record but in the Cups it's highly likely to trip you up at some point.

I think for me he really struggles against committed high pressing especially when combined with quality, i think we let him off the hook playing Lukaku in those three games vs his Spurs in January, if we let the fluid high pressing system led by Kai up top loose i think we could have handed some serious thrashings, especially in the games at The Bridge.
Yeah, maybe the way he values a player like Lukaku shows how he can be quite consistent with the flat track bullying but can go missing on the bigger games.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Lost to Middlesbrough ? …….. So things really aren’t going smoothly at spurs? It is like someone said that before in this thread. Surprised Conte is struggling so much. His team isn’t that bad. I feel like the spurs should just go with potters or ten hag and try a manager that is more offense minded

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Lost to Middlesbrough ? …….. So things really aren’t going smoothly at spurs? It is like someone said that before in this thread. Surprised Conte is struggling so much. His team isn’t that bad. I feel like the spurs should just go with potters or ten hag and try a manager that is more offense minded
The squad is terrible.

Caesar2290

The squad is terrible.
No excuse. You guys should be putting teams like Boro to the sword.

If it were like us where we dominated and lost due to an unlucky goal, then fair play. But from what I've seen, you looked torrid tonight.

Verward

The squad is terrible.
And most importantly ENIC is averse to investment. Klopp too inherited terrible squad but with clear vision and support from FSG turned Liverpool in correct direction.
I don't think Conte likes to build squad, he needs lots of investment and experienced players which I believe ENIC will never do.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The squad is terrible.
I agree the squad is terrible, and I dont like using one-off games as an example to create a narrative as upsets happen more often thawhat we like to think.

However, you've been losing to significantly worse teams consistently. Losing to Boro on its own is fine, but combine that with results against Wolves, Burnley, etc. all over a very short period of time, and it seems there is something not going right.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No excuse. You guys should be putting teams like Boro to the sword.

If it were like us where we dominated and lost due to an unlucky goal, then fair play. But from what I've seen, you looked torrid tonight.
I wouldn't say unlucky, I would say a blatant refereeing decision that I still can't get my head around it.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Amazing how much credit this guy has in the bank. Everybody's fault except Conte's

romufc

Amazing how much credit this guy has in the bank. Everybody's fault except Conte's
Yep and there was massive fans discontent on twitter and here when Spurs got him saying we are not a serious club.

I think we should see how the new regime goes, Conte was definitely a Woodward type signing, get someone like him to appease fans.

I find it weird that alot of people want ETH over Poch because he has modern methods, yet the same people would have taken Conte, who is the furthest from modern methods.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Nobody is saying he is blameless at all. The club is a mess, the squad is very weak apart from a few very good players. Those are facts. Conte should still be doing better than he is though - our recent form has been absolutely shocking.

Having said that I've already written off this season and it's all about the summer and the business we do then. If we go big and support Conte then I expect us to be much stronger next season. If we dont, he will likely walk and the club will go back to mid table mediocrity for the next 5 years. We can't compete with the likes of City, Chelsea, Utd or now Newcastle in terms of spending power so it's going to be an uphill struggle.

Caesar2290

Nobody is saying he is blameless at all. The club is a mess, the squad is very weak apart from a few very good players. Those are facts. Conte should still be doing better than he is though - our recent form has been absolutely shocking.

Having said that I've already written off this season and it's all about the summer and the business we do then. If we go big and support Conte then I expect us to be much stronger next season. If we dont, he will likely walk and the club will go back to mid table mediocrity for the next 5 years. We can't compete with the likes of City, Chelsea, Utd or now Newcastle in terms of spending power so it's going to be an uphill struggle.
If I were your club mate, I'd just cut my losses and get Ralph Hassenhuhl in. The man can work wonders on a shoes string budget and would actually make Spurs exciting to watch again.

Telsim

Some people here talking like Middlesbrough weren't the ones that knocked us out earlier in the competition. :lol: "Oh, but we had possession and xG". Right, then why weren't we the ones playing Spurs yesterday?

Levy would have to be crazy to let Conte go instead of backing him in the summer. But it's Levy, so no surprises there. Hey, maybe they can replace him with Poch? :D

Bilbo

TeaBaggins

This sort of illustrates my point, with respect. I know a lot of Spurs fans coming from the area and they all sound like your points in bold. I asked one of my friends weeks ago, 'at what point does any of this become Conte's fault?' and he looked at me in disbelief. The notion hadn't even ever occurred to him. That's what I mean when I talk about credit in the bank.

You're on a disastrous run. The football has always largely been poor. His personality is almost certainly contributing to all that. Rather than worrying if he'll walk, you should be wondering whether he should be sacked. That's what I mean when I talk about credit in the bank. It's almost like he will walk away with his reputation intact no matter how badly he fails. It's a dream job really.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
This sort of illustrates my point, with respect. I know a lot of Spurs fans coming from the area and they all sound like your points in bold. I asked one of my friends weeks ago, 'at what point does any of this become Conte's fault?' and he looked at me in disbelief. The notion hadn't even ever occurred to him. That's what I mean when I talk about credit in the bank.

You're on a disastrous run. The football has always largely been poor. His personality is almost certainly contributing to all that. Rather than worrying if he'll walk, you should be wondering whether he should be sacked. That's what I mean when I talk about credit in the bank. It's almost like he will walk away with his reputation intact no matter how badly he fails. It's a dream job really.
His record speaks for itself mate - if you think that I'm looking to get rid of the most elite manager (currently elite, not like Jose) we have had in my lifetime after only a few months with 99% of the same shit players we have had for 3 years then you are barking up the wrong tree. Conte may or may not work out but there is nobody in their right mind thinking we need to get rid of him at the moment.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
His record speaks for itself mate - if you think that I'm looking to get rid of the most elite manager (currently elite, not like Jose) we have had in my lifetime after only a few months with 99% of the same shit players we have had for 3 years then you are barking up the wrong tree. Conte may or may not work out but there is nobody in their right mind thinking we need to get rid of him at the moment.
His record speaks for itself yes, but currently elite? I don't know about that. I think Levy would be right to be wary of going big on such a combustible character, and will probably end up regretting hiring him in the first place. Conte was undoubtedly the biggest name you could have attracted, but for me I think he needs to stop trying to find managers with a reputation as big as your stadium and be looking for a club builder. Someone like Potter or Hassenhutl would be a far better fit for where you are as a team right now.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If you did get rid of him (or more likely him and levy fell out and conte walked) Id take him at heartbeat at united and wish he had gone all out for him when you did

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
His record speaks for itself yes, but currently elite? I don't know about that. I think Levy would be right to be wary of going big on such a combustible character, and will probably end up regretting hiring him in the first place. Conte was undoubtedly the biggest name you could have attracted, but for me I think he needs to stop trying to find managers with a reputation as big as your stadium and be looking for a club builder. Someone like Potter or Hassenhutl would be a far better fit for where you are as a team right now.
Of course he is currently elite. He won the league in Italy at his last club last year. On what planet could you argue he is not currently elite? Just because he has walked into a shit show at Spurs doesn't take anything away from his achievements to date. I gotta laugh honestly at you suggesting we dump Conte for Potter or Hassenhutl - you need to read that again and think about it. It just comes across as you saying Spurs don't deserve a manager like Conte - he is too good for the likes of us - he should be at a big club like Utd right? We should just get Potter in because that's more our level. This is the standard media driven drivel us Spurs fans have to listen to every year - whether its Kane must leave us, to now our manager not being a good 'fit' because he is clearly hugely successful.

Last edited:

youmeletsfly

So because he walked into a rainfall of shit at Spurs he's suddenly not a top manager anymore?

People need to understand he joins teams with a particular project in mind. Before joining I guess they have conversations on how to develop the club, the squad and so on.
As long as the club promised him to work on a plan, get some transfers in etc and they're not doing it, he has every right to walk away. Also, in regards to him being very outspoken, I find this fecking amusing, we had SAF who, other than being a brilliant manager and man, he was complaining of something each fecking week.

Basically, I think Spurs might have sold him a project just to get a top class manager on board who'd turn it around based on his skill and then they won't need to spend anything at all as everything would be fixed already. This is exactly what I expect from that club and I won't be surprised if my supposition is actually true.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Tottenham's wait for a major trophy stretches on for a 14th year. Who will they choose next as their manager to end that wait?
They are half-arsing their decision making. You either go for "potential" like a Potter and accept that you're going to need a few difficult years or you want results now because you got Kane and Son. Appointing a Conte/Mourinho without giving them a huge budget and free reign is a waste of time and ressources. They're on course to ruin Poch's "achievements"

allen7

The media certainly loves Conte, its always how poor the players are and not the tactics.

5 defeats in 7 for any other coach would definitely be treated differently and losing to mighty boro by playing 5 defenders, 2 DMs. Nice!

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Of course he is currently elite. He won the league in Italy at his last club last year. On what planet could you argue he is not currently elite? Just because he has walked into a shit show at Spurs doesn't take anything away from his achievements to date. I gotta laugh honestly at you suggesting we dump Conte for Potter or Hassenhutl - you need to read that again and think about it. It just comes across as you saying Spurs don't deserve a manager like Conte - he is too good for the likes of us - he should be at a big club like Utd right? We should just get Potter in because that's more our level. This is the standard media driven drivel us Spurs fans have to listen to every year - whether its Kane must leave us, to now our manager not being a good 'fit' because he is clearly hugely successful.
No I don't think that at all. My concern is whether someone like Conte would feel that way. He obviously views himself as a manager that chases and win titles, so what would possess him to take on this particular job at this moment? How driven do you think he is going to be, knowing that major titles are impossible right now? What does he expect to achieve? How long does he see himself staying there? How is that impacting his demeanour, and his decision making? These are important questions. This felt like a bad marriage for either side from day one.

I mention the likes of Potter (who I'd take at United BTW) or Hassenhutl not in a negative way. I just think with where you are at as a squad right now (not a club, a squad) that type of manager would be more likely to provide sustainable progress.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
So because he walked into a rainfall of shit at Spurs he's suddenly not a top manager anymore?

People need to understand he joins teams with a particular project in mind. Before joining I guess they have conversations on how to develop the club, the squad and so on.
As long as the club promised him to work on a plan, get some transfers in etc and they're not doing it, he has every right to walk away. Also, in regards to him being very outspoken, I find this fecking amusing, we had SAF who, other than being a brilliant manager and man, he was complaining of something each fecking week.

Basically, I think Spurs might have sold him a project just to get a top class manager on board who'd turn it around based on his skill and then they won't need to spend anything at all as everything would be fixed already. This is exactly what I expect from that club and I won't be surprised if my supposition is actually true.
I think he'd have run into many of the same problems as RR had he come here. He's not a magician simply put.

Habs

Conte is without a doubt an elite manager, not sure how people can say he isn’t. If he walks, I’m not sure where Spurs would go from there

marktan

Look at the Spurs bench, who is Conte bringing on? The only attacker I recognise is Bergwyn, wtf is Scarlett, White, Devine? The team has been so poorly managed that the bench options are a bunch of academy players. And the players they do bring in are Juventus cast offs.

Guess that is what happens when you become Tottenham Hotspur urban development LLC rather than Tottenham Hotspur FC.
It doesn't matter, you need to rotate. It's far far better to manage your first XIs legs by playing a mix of youngsters, especially against lower league opposition than to burn your first XI out for the rest of the campaign. If you don't you basically end up throwing away all your competitions as the players are dead.

A game every 3 days for that front 3 with no rest? Whichever way you look at it it's very poor management by Conte. He like Mourinho is too old fashioned and thinks that hard work and effort is all that's needed when top level management requires so much more.

marktan

Personally and I say this as unbiased as I can, I think Conte is a top level manager but he's not close to the likes of Pep and Klopp. He's much more closer to Jose.

I watched a fair bit of Inter due to their ex United signings and the biggest things to worry about Conte are:

- Pretty dull play style, sit back, defensively compact and counter.
- Won the league because he signed Lukaku and Hakimi for big money but a lot of his signings in general weren't great. A lot of old rejects like Vidal, Sanchez, Darmian and Young. Whilst some of them did do well, the lack of variety to the signings and them largely being from well known clubs suggest his scouting abilities aren't great.
- Known to fall out with people very regularly.
- Struggles in the CL against other big teams. That will be amplified in the PL where there are lots of big teams and a higher level of parity among the weaker teams.

Again not hating on Spurs but those were largely the same reasons I didn't want him at United.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Personally and I say this as unbiased as I can, I think Conte is a top level manager but he's not close to the likes of Pep and Klopp. He's much more closer to Jose.

I watched a fair bit of Inter due to their ex United signings and the biggest things to worry about Conte are:

- Pretty dull play style, sit back, defensively compact and counter.
- Won the league because he signed Lukaku and Hakimi for big money but a lot of his signings in general weren't great. A lot of old rejects like Vidal, Sanchez, Darmian and Young. Whilst some of them did do well, the lack of variety to the signings and them largely being from well known clubs suggest his scouting abilities aren't great.
- Known to fall out with people very regularly.
- Struggles in the CL against other big teams. That will be amplified in the PL where there are lots of big teams and a higher level of parity among the weaker teams.

Again not hating on Spurs but those were largely the same reasons I didn't want him at United.
He is a lot closer to Pep and Klopp than Potter or Hassenhuttl

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
He is a lot closer to Pep and Klopp than Potter or Hassenhuttl
No question about that. He has walked the walk. That's not really the concern though. Squad issues aside these elite coaches are supposed to elevate teams. He is meant to have Spurs punching above their weight, isn't he?

A manager like Potter or Hassenhutl would, I feel, have a better motivation for being at Spurs. They'd accept having to operate under Levy's restrictions.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Some people here talking like Middlesbrough weren't the ones that knocked us out earlier in the competition. :lol: "Oh, but we had possession and xG". Right, then why weren't we the ones playing Spurs yesterday?

Levy would have to be crazy to let Conte go instead of backing him in the summer. But it's Levy, so no surprises there. Hey, maybe they can replace him with Poch? :D
It wasn't about xG and possession, we missed 2 open nets and they cheated to score, even then we lost on penalties. Slightly different circumstances but embarrassing nonetheless.

acnumber9

Of course he is currently elite. He won the league in Italy at his last club last year. On what planet could you argue he is not currently elite?
Simone Inzaghi has been sitting atop same league with the same club most of the season with a negative net spend of £150m. Is he an elite manager?