Conte | Spurs Manager

Tarrou

Why do you feel so certain that with ETH we are going to beat Klopp and Pep and that we will win the PL? Since "just a cup" would be a failure, I mean.

( Actually, Spurs managed 2 draws vs Klopp, and 2 wins vs Pep! Impressive! )
I'm not certain

I'm just quite sure Conte can't beat them over a 38 game season, despite being a good manager.

Spurs haven't even been that good under him. It wasn't that long ago he was talking about quitting because they were playing shit. He's scraped some decent results without playing that well, a bit like Ole did.

Last edited:

Tarrou

Let's wait and see how ETH does next season.

I still feel Conte is underrated by many here. He's a top level manager who would've been really good for us.
Yeah he's definitely a very good manager, he's proved that over a long period not just this Spurs stint. Just don't think he's what we needed.

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
I do feel like I'm living in a parallel universe on here. Any result that isn't a loss is lauded like some genius masterplan by the true king of football management. Is there a crossover between those who still love Jose and bow down to Conte?

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Getting Spurs in the top four this season will be another feather in his cap. For all the hype around Klopp vs Guardiola, you’d fancy Conte to give them both a problem in a fair fight. His CV speaks for itself, he just rushed into the wrong job this time. Not that I’m saying he should have waited for us!

OleGunnar20

If you offered me Conte and top 4 right now I’d turn it down

we needed a complete overhaul and that’s what is happening now. Back-room staff, players, playing style -the lot

feck just scraping top 4 and continuing to play like a small club against the top clubs, I can’t take it anymore

Ralph might not have been a good interim results-wise but he’s exposed the club and the players for what it really was - sub-standard

we needed to burn it all down and start again - Conte would just help this board to continue to paper over the cracks
Agreed 100%.

Our club is built on rotten foundations. It needs tearing down and rebuilding, just as SAF did.

NoPace

How recently was Conte talking as though he might resign because Spurs were playing so badly? One month? Two? They’ve been up and down under him, with some really abject performances. The praise he gets after every half decent result is well over the top.
I do feel like I'm living in a parallel universe on here. Any result that isn't a loss is lauded like some genius masterplan by the true king of football management. Is there a crossover between those who still love Jose and bow down to Conte?
I mean he's Conte the football isn't going to be special every week and he's probably not going to create a blueprint for the next decade, but did you watch the game? That's a textbook of what a brilliant counter-attacking job against a top 2 side in the world looks like. Create half the chances but the best few you do are excellent because they're on the break. Players in the right job doing what they do well in attack (Kane dropping, Kulusevski carrying and Son running in behind) and the weaker players in the right roles to succeed (Emerson, Sessegnon) All the subs made sense. A little shift in formation after Liverpool made the first tactical change.

It was the kind of performance that makes it clear why Spurs may not be better than Arsenal, but if they have Conte, only one of them is a genuine threat to sneak a semi-final in the CL next year and it isn't Arsenal.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Why do you feel so certain that with ETH we are going to beat Klopp and Pep and that we will win the PL? Since "just a cup" would be a failure, I mean.

( Actually, Spurs managed 2 draws vs Klopp, and 2 wins vs Pep! Impressive! )
And 2 defeats vs United, & 3 defeats vs Chelsea. Remember as well, Conte wasn't manager when Spurs beat City at home. Spurs seem to have a good mix of players to play and compete against these top teams.

They can sit deep, defend, and rely on their top class forwards to conjure something on the counter. Spurs had a decent record vs City even before Conte of doing that. Its other games they struggle in.

Pintu

I'm not certain

I'm just quite sure Conte can't beat them over a 38 game season, despite being a good manager.

Spurs haven't even been that good under him. It wasn't that long ago he was talking about quitting because they were playing shit. He's scraped some decent results without playing that well, a bit like Ole did.
He did just that back in 2016/17, in his first season at Chelsea.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
I swear when talking about managers people seem to think that it's the manager on the field playing the match and not the group of players they have at their disposal(which vary immensely in terms of quality). Before Conte arrived, Spurs were absolutely woeful in every aspect. I mean Utd fans should know seeing as they walloped us 3-0 at home in our last game pre-Conte. Spurs do not have the squad of City, Liverpool or Chelsea, or even Utd so you do need to take that into consideration, you can't just ignore that and say he's not doing a particularly impressive job because he doesn't have a vastly inferior Spurs side competing with them. If Spurs put their entire squad up for sale in the summer, how many of our players would Utd fans even be interested in having? Son, Kane, maybe Romero? This is a squad that had been pretty abject under three managers(end of Poch, Jose and Nuno), he's getting more out of what is largely the same group of players and that's all you can really ask for when appointing a new manager. Yes Spurs can still be inconsistent but that's hardly down to Conte, it's just what this squad is.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I still think we needed Conte. There was resistance because we thought we were above this type of manager, but we definitely needed this type of character that would push everyone involved at the club to be the best. The fact there was resistance and reluctance from the club makes me think we're still not getting serious about this.

The soundbites from Rangnick saying the club didn't want to spend on January, along with reports saying we don't want to spend big under ETH, only confirm this for me. You just know we're still holding out hope that ETH can deliver with mostly what he has at his disposal. In reality there's probably 2 or 3 players at the club that are good enough to be part of a team that actually challenges for trophies. Conte wouldn't accept that and the club knew it.

frostbite

whilst both were early in the process of building their squads
You can also say that for Conte.

Anyway, I really hope ETH is better than Conte. But I am not sure about it. So far, Conte has done so much more than ETH ... and they have the same age.

Does anyone think that if Spurs got ETH back in November, they'd be 4th now?

Tarrou

You can also say that for Conte.

Anyway, I really hope ETH is better than Conte. But I am not sure about it. So far, Conte has done so much more than ETH ... and they have the same age.

Does anyone think that if Spurs got ETH back in November, they'd be 4th now?
that Chelsea team squad was already very strong and suited his style but I do give huge credit to Conte for getting them winning again

Pep and Klopp were both in the middle of massive rebuilds along with a major shift in style of play, I don't see much point in using their results for comparison

frostbite

that Chelsea team squad was already very strong and suited his style but I do give huge credit to Conte for getting them winning again

Pep and Klopp were both in the middle of massive rebuilds along with a major shift in style of play, I don't see much point in using their results for comparison
We can't get Klopp or Pep, so the comparison is between Conte and ETH. Do you think that ETH could get these Spurs to 4th place? I don't think so.

Tarrou

We can't get Klopp or Pep, so the comparison is between Conte and ETH. Do you think that ETH could get these Spurs to 4th place? I don't think so.
Not if he joined this season, no. Conte is brilliant at coming in and getting results quickly, and for the most part this Spurs squad suits him well.

If ETH was in charge of Spurs I'd back him to get them regular top 4 once he's built his squad and got his philosophy in place.

Sylar

I reckon with Conte we would have done better probably stuck in the same loop

I honestly think we needed this rock bottom (well 6th) type of season
Now more people are waking up to the players are absolutely disgraceful the way they throw it all in when anything gets Difficult

If this happened under Conte (eventually) half would say Conte is making the dressing room toxic

Matt851

I have no idea if ten Hag will work, but I feel more excited by his appointment than Conte, who would have been a Woodward-era type hire.
The idea that conte was a woodward type appointment is ridiculous. Name one other world class manager he appointed at the peak of their powers. Van goal and mourinho were both clearly past their best, moyes not good enough and ole clearly not good enough

Cloud7

I am so so fed up of managers who send the team out to try to counteract whatever the opposition is trying to do, as opposed to taking our own game to them. We have had nothing but the former in the post SAF era and Conte would have been a continuation of that.

I want a manager who sends his team out to play their game. Play positive football and take the game to their opponents.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Was ETH not Spurs first choice last summer before he turned them down?

izec

Getting Spurs in the top four this season will be another feather in his cap. For all the hype around Klopp vs Guardiola, you’d fancy Conte to give them both a problem in a fair fight. His CV speaks for itself, he just rushed into the wrong job this time. Not that I’m saying he should have waited for us!
He wont get top four though, Arsenal will secure that.

Loon

:lol:
The idea that conte was a woodward type appointment is ridiculous. Name one other world class manager he appointed at the peak of their powers. Van goal and mourinho were both clearly past their best, moyes not good enough and ole clearly not good enough
Moyes was not Woodward's appointment. Woodward pursued Klopp as well remember, and failed. He would have gone for the next available big manager and that's Conte. It's not ridiculous at all.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Kane’s holdup play, vision and passing is absolutely perfect for playing against City/Liverpool with the high lines they play. Get him the ball and with runners around him you’re going to get chances. It’s not football genius. It’s why they would have had a chance in that cup final had they not sacked Jose.

Guy Incognito

Undefeated against Liverpool and City! How cool is that? Undefeated with this terrible Spurs squad, and the abysmal Spurs reputation.
He knows how to set his team up against those sides, they expect to suffer. And Spurs have the perfect players to play on the counter in Son and Kane.

Conte though had no answers against Potter or Hasenhüttl. Or Dyche for that matter.

Sylar

He knows how to set his team up against those sides, they expect to suffer. And Spurs have the perfect players to play on the counter in Son and Kane.

Conte though had no answers against Potter or Hasenhüttl. Or Dyche for that matter.
Or us and everyone beats us :lol:

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Conte is tactically a great manager, for sure, he doesn't play attractive football but he gets results. If he ends up getting Spurs top 4, that is some achievement considering the state of their squad when he picked them up.

The problem with him is how high maintenance he is. However, at a club like Utd where the board have been shocking, having him with a lot of power probably would have been a good thing.

For sure, he isn't a perfect manager but he is probably in the top 10 in the world.

Born2Lose

He's been very lucky I think that both City and Liverpool have been in positions where they've had to look to win the game which has played into Conte's tactics.

From what I've seen will prefer ETH here, can't see how Conte at a club where the players have downed tools would be anything but meltdown eventually.

tomaldinho1

Yeah he's definitely a very good manager, he's proved that over a long period not just this Spurs stint. Just don't think he's what we needed.
Agreed he’s exactly what Woodward would have gone for and exactly what we need to move away from. His style is highly structured sitting deep and countering and whilst that’s always been effective in the PL if you have better players than most teams, we know that better than most because it yielded us some average trophies and top four finishes, it’s never going to close the gap in the CL (where it is massively ineffective) or the PL because that style will always pick up too many draws over 38 games, despite the fact it will tend to do well against the league’s best teams.

Guy Incognito

Conte is tactically a great manager, for sure, he doesn't play attractive football but he gets results. If he ends up getting Spurs top 4, that is some achievement considering the state of their squad when he picked them up.

The problem with him is how high maintenance he is. However, at a club like Utd where the board have been shocking, having him with a lot of power probably would have been a good thing.

For sure, he isn't a perfect manager but he is probably in the top 10 in the world.
In Kane and Son he's got two of the best forwards in the league.

Still think Spurs need an overhaul to get them where he wants the team to be.

AndySmith1990

I don't care what he does or how many goals Spurs put past Arsenal, I'm glad we avoided him because it meant we ended up with Ten Hag. For once the club did something right.

el3mel

He will make them a force next season. Finishing top 4 next season ahead of Liverpool, Chelsea, City and Spurs will be really hard and we will have a big fight on our hands.

Abraxas

He's a top manager that's for sure. He simply gets results. I think his football is a bit harshly judged, as well. It's not Pep or Klopp like in a singular identification with a style of football but I'm fairly sure he has a very useful attacking record. They'll be annoying while he's there as he'll keep them competing where we're likely to be for the foreseeable future.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He will make them a force next season. Finishing top 4 next season ahead of Liverpool, Chelsea, City and Spurs will be really hard and we will have a big fight on our hands.
I'm very optimistic for next year, I think Conte is going to get backed and hopefully our recruitment is good.

Deery

Dreary
He’s done brilliant really, did anyone think Spurs were anywhere near CL football after Nuno? They were dead and buried.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I don't care what he does or how many goals Spurs put past Arsenal, I'm glad we avoided him because it meant we ended up with Ten Hag. For once the club did something right.
ETH still has a lot to prove imo, if all goes well then for sure, he will be better. However, that is a big if and Conte is by most measures a top 5 league manager (not European tbf) manager from the past ten years.

He's a top manager that's for sure. He simply gets results. I think his football is a bit harshly judged, as well. It's not Pep or Klopp like in a singular identification with a style of football but I'm fairly sure he has a very useful attacking record. They'll be annoying while he's there as he'll keep them competing where we're likely to be for the foreseeable future.
It is, people are way too concerned with stats and gifs these days. If your team don't produce those in abundance then people question the "philosophy", even if it is a winning one.

Flexdegea

I've been critical but he got them playing well at the moment. Think they going to get that 4th spot.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He’s done brilliant really, did anyone think Spurs were anywhere near CL football after Nuno? They were dead and buried.
Any team that has Kane and Son should be finishing top 4 at a minimum. They're genuinely world class attackers, take a side like Chelsea for example they don't have any

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I still don't think he's pulled up any trees, and whoever sneaks into that last top 4 spot between them and Arsenal will have just about managed to be a little bit less shit than everyone else in the race rather than it being an especially huge achievement.

However, if they keep him and Kane and add a couple of wingbacks that aren't cack, they could easily get to at least Chelsea's level next year and they will likely be a tough team to get past depending on how our rebuild goes.

Deery

Dreary
Any team that has Kane and Son should be finishing top 4 at a minimum. They're genuinely world class attackers, take a side like Chelsea for example they don't have any
No point downplaying what he’s done they were a shambles at the start of the season he’s done very well.