Cool Science & Technology News

Tarrou

Extra cool if they just don't tell you where they've put it and you have to find it.
this happened to me in Sydney last year

got no email or text or anything, at first I thought it had been nicked but I found it about 200 yards down the street

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Extra cool if they just don't tell you where they've put it and you have to find it.
I prefer that than being towed and not telling you that it had been towed

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Im wondering if this is what will eventually replace our phones
Depends of what you want to do. Phone calls and text maybe, the occasional search in internet. But Voice commands have some limitations. If musky makes the brain chips work instead of killing monkeys, maybe we will be able to do it one day in our brain, but without that, you will probably need some sort of device in your hands to move information and jump around apps or at least on the pace and reaction time that we are used. Even carmakers are backtracking on so many touchscreens functionalities as humans needs something more physical to react on driving comands

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

How am i supposed to read the news apps though. Although i can see it been used by police and firemen and so on, maybe doctors in A&E, security guards etc.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona

How am i supposed to read the news apps though. Although i can see it been used by police and firemen and so on, maybe doctors in A&E, security guards etc.
So we are back to pagers?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Pretty neat:

Nature Briefing said:
How does it feel to have an octopus arm?
Researchers have developed a soft robotic tentacle that can mimic the elegant snatch and grab of an octopus snaring its prey. The tentacle is operated wirelessly with a one-finger glove lined with three suction cups that translate the sensation of the robot’s suckering effect to the user. The octobot consists of soft silicone segments embedded with ‘wires’ made from a liquid metal and is equipped with suckers and temperature sensors at its tip.
Article: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-03759-z

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
A little spooky...

I have to admit I was kinda expecting the robot to start attacking the person first when it started 'walking', and then again when the person kept pushing it over! I have watched too many films I guess...

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I have to admit I was kinda expecting the robot to start attacking the person first when it started 'walking', and then again when the person kept pushing it over! I have watched too many films I guess...
That’s about when I said ‘this is spooky’ out loud.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I guess this could have gone into the Nature Is Wild thread as well, but anyway:
Nature Briefing said:
Extra cosy jumper mimics polar bear fur
A sweater knitted from a fibre that mimics polar bear fur offers as much warmth as a down jacket, despite being one-fifth as thick. Each strand of the fabric, an aerogel coated with polyurethane, has a porous core similar to polar bear hair. A brave volunteer tested the jumper into a room chilled to −20 ℃. The knitwear was found to be warmer than cotton and wool. The fibre can also be dyed, washed and stretched, with no apparent loss of snuggliness.
There's more here: Polar bear fur-inspired sweater is thinner than a down jacket — and just as warm (nature.com). They also got a nice picture of a polar bear:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
:lol:

Reminds me of grad school where we had a ban on all PNAS papers for journal club unless it was the once in a quarter "bring the stupidest shit you found published" session. The vast majority of papers that were brought were PeNAS papers.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Are we laughing at the travesty of the scientific peer-review process of the "Frontiers In" journal, or the rat with a huge knob?
looks like a normal-size dck and testtom to me...hope it doesn't get dissliced anytime soon!