Cool Science & Technology News

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Meanwhile some space engineer who's been live streaming his manufacture of LK-99 took his samples out of the oven around about 5 hours ago and was waiting for them to cool. About an hour ago he smashed the vials he made it in. He's also looking for diamagnetism in the first instance. 30 minutes ago he posted this tantalising tweet:

No update yet, but I'm loving the live update of scientific discovery thing going on on Twitter right now.
He made a video:

Balljy

It's beginning to look that there's something in this unless there was contamination in the sample. It obviously needs refinement as that's no where near the expected reaction, but we'll know whether it is a superconductor when the labs start testing the resistance of it.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
So what would a superconductor help with, if it were to be discovered?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Only 30 years away
Maybe.
But it will happen at some point. Simply because there is such a lot of resources being thrown at nuclear fusion. And efforts to combat man made climate change really does depend on this type of technology.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Maybe.
But it will happen at some point. Simply because there is such a lot of resources being thrown at nuclear fusion. And efforts to combat man made climate change really does depend on this type of technology.
It was tongue in cheek. As the saying goes, fusion energy is always 30 years away, no matter at what year we are in.

Maybe that possible superconductor material might be part on speeding the process

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
It was tongue in cheek. As the saying goes, fusion energy is always 30 years away, no matter at what year we are in.

Maybe that possible superconductor material might be part on speeding the process
To be honest I lean more towards your tongue and cheek joke, there have been so many announcements over the decades but we dont seem to be all that close yet.

Stack

Maybe.
I would debate that combating man made climate change depends on this type of technology. Its a bit like nuclear power where people seem to think one solution will solve the problem. It wont. We need multiple solutions covering everything from energy supply, transport solutions, food solutions, excessive consumption solutions, recycling solutions, rewilding solutions etc etc.
The main trouble with Fussion if it was suddenly available tomorrow would still be how long it would take to build enough plants to make a difference and how many countries could actually afford it. One thing will not solve the problem.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I would debate that combating man made climate change depends on this type of technology. Its a bit like nuclear power where people seem to think one solution will solve the problem. It wont. We need multiple solutions covering everything from energy supply, transport solutions, food solutions, excessive consumption solutions, recycling solutions, rewilding solutions etc etc.
The main trouble with Fussion if it was suddenly available tomorrow would still be how long it would take to build enough plants to make a difference and how many countries could actually afford it. One thing will not solve the problem.
Yes I do understand that. I was trying to say this Type of technology and not just nuclear fusion in isolation. Because we have been told that if we were able to stop any further co2 into our atmosphere, that would not stop the worst of climate change. We will need to start taking it out as well.

Stack

Yes I do understand that. I was trying to say this Type of technology and not just nuclear fusion in isolation. Because we have been told that if we were able to stop any further co2 into our atmosphere, that would not stop the worst of climate change. We will need to start taking it out as well.
Sorry I misunderstood, yes you are right.

frostbite

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-66407099

Scientists at Fermilab close in on fifth force of nature

Scientists near Chicago say they may be getting closer to discovering the existence of a new force of nature.

They have found more evidence that sub-atomic particles, called muons, are not behaving in the way predicted by the current theory of sub-atomic physics.

Scientists believe that an unknown force could be acting on the muons.

More data will be needed to confirm these results, but if they are verified, it could mark the beginning of a revolution in physics.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv

Scientists near Chicago say they may be getting closer to discovering the existence of a new force of nature.

They have found more evidence that sub-atomic particles, called muons, are not behaving in the way predicted by the current theory of sub-atomic physics.

More data will be needed to confirm these results, but if they are verified, it could mark the beginning of a revolution in physics.
It's cool reading stuff like this, it makes me remember how we probably don't even know 1% of what is going on. As someone going into a new venture in life with a fair bit of imposter syndrome and doubt, its heartening too know.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Looks like this might now be old news already (although there is still some uncertainty left):
Nature Briefing said:
Muon magnetism dashes physics dreams
The most precise measurement of an elementary particle’s magnetism suggests that the ‘standard model’ of physics could be right after all. A discrepancy between predicted and measured values of the magnetic moment of the muon — a heavier cousin of the electron — was seen as a possible signal of undiscovered subatomic particles. Physicists at the Muon g – 2 experiment at Fermilab have now doubled the precision of the previous best measurement, to an estimated error of just 201 parts per billion. And an alternative theoretical prediction is in agreement with this result, suggesting there might not be any discrepancy to explain.
News article: Dreams of new physics fade with latest muon magnetism result (nature.com)

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Looks like this might now be old news already (although there is still some uncertainty left):

News article: Dreams of new physics fade with latest muon magnetism result (nature.com)
My understanding is that this is the 2nd test which has shown that the Muon particle does not behave in the way that was expected according to the standard model.
And the most important thing is that this 2nd outcome reduces the level of uncertainty.
This could potentially be a game changer for physics. But further experiments will be needed.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
This is pretty cool: Scientists reconstruct a Pink Floyd song from brain activity

In a scientific breakthrough, researchers have gotten one step closer to developing devices that say aloud what people are thinking. With further development, this could give patients who have lost the ability to speak—because of a stroke or other brain injuries—the power to communicate in a way that sounds more natural and less robotic.

Neuroscientists at the University of California, Berkeley reconstructed Pink Floyd’s classic rock song “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 1” using recordings of the brain activity of 29 patients who heard the song while undergoing brain surgery. Though less polished than the band’s version, the reconstructed tune was recognizable.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Oh to have seen Tool/Pink Floyd/Flaming Lips in their prime here... The outside of this dome is wild as well (it has outside projection as well) but don't have any pics handy.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Oh to have seen Tool/Pink Floyd/Flaming Lips in their prime here... The outside of this dome is wild as well (it has outside projection as well) but don't have any pics handy.

That looks... awful! And how tiny is the band from up there!

I mean, I'm sure you can do amazing things with this, but that little clip just totally puts me off.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
That looks... awful! And how tiny is the band from up there!

I mean, I'm sure you can do amazing things with this, but that little clip just totally puts me off.
Actually I thought it evens out the value of the nosebleed seats with those visuals, unless you're focused on watching musicians.

For those bands putting on a visual/psychadelic show it would be incredible from anywhere.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Actually I thought it evens out the value of the nosebleed seats with those visuals, unless you're focused on watching musicians.

For those bands putting on a visual/psychadelic show it would be incredible from anywhere.
Yeah, there's that. I was high up in a hockey arena a few weeks ago at a Peter Gabriel show and it even took me a while to properly figure out how many people he had in his band and what they were all playing. No amount of visuals makes up for that in my opinion (and he had great stuff around that), but that's a different subject really. You're right that this dome thing could be very cool - with different visuals than in that little clip. ;)

dinostar77

https://thedebrief.org/scientists-s...-of-actually-changing-the-past/#sq_hiu2holhkw

Scientists trying to take advantage of the unusual properties of the quantum realm say they have successfully simulated a method of backward time travel that allowed them to change an event after the fact one out of four times. The Cambridge University team is quick to caution that they have built a time machine, per se, but also note how their process doesn’t violate physics while changing past events after they have happened.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
https://thedebrief.org/scientists-s...-of-actually-changing-the-past/#sq_hiu2holhkw

Scientists trying to take advantage of the unusual properties of the quantum realm say they have successfully simulated a method of backward time travel that allowed them to change an event after the fact one out of four times. The Cambridge University team is quick to caution that they have built a time machine, per se, but also note how their process doesn’t violate physics while changing past events after they have happened.
All right. Finally I don't have to worry about saves in games anymore.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante

So I can bet all my wages on United and then get them back when we inevitably lose?