Cool Science & Technology News

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
But that's how magnetic confinement works, right, not inertial confinement? I could be hopelessly wrong...
I am illiterate in the topic (as in many others) and I didn't even know about the inertial confinement fusion and that this experiment was of this branch and I assumed that is was a magnetic confinement fusion (the only one I thought existed). That brought me to a some very light readings around internet (thanks!) . Very insightful and at the same time, lots of hurdles to jump still in the next years. different ones.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I am illiterate in the topic (as in many others) and I didn't even know about the inertial confinement fusion and that this experiment was of this branch and I assumed that is was a magnetic confinement fusion (the only one I thought existed). That brought me to a some very light readings around internet (thanks!) . Very insightful and at the same time, lots of hurdles to jump still in the next years. different ones.
If you have the time, I would recommend you take a look at the approach that the UK is taking. It is a spherical Tokamak which it is believed will be more able to hold the fusion reaction, called STEP.

A number of programmes are using a Tokamak but the UK are using an innovative spherical version.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ower-station&usg=AOvVaw2bKR1CDzqS9e-JOzFjad-m

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/nov/22/treatment-for-alzheimers-lecanemab-dementia-research

“The effect they’ve reported to date is very small. It’s not large enough to be clinically important,” says Prof Victor Henderson, director of the Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center at Stanford University. He warns that there is a subjective element to the dementia ratings that could matter when the observed benefit is so marginal. “I would be concerned that this could be a drug that has statistical significance without clinical significance and we may need to wait for something better,” he says.

Great article from the guardian

Counterfactual

"The Big Bang was the conformal continuation of the remote future of a previous Eon." Sir Roger Penrose.

Whether he's right or wrong, I love that the human mind can even think of and share such concepts, and that there's such a wonderful Universe to conceptualise about!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
"The Big Bang was the conformal continuation of the remote future of a previous Eon." Sir Roger Penrose.

Whether he's right or wrong, I love that the human mind can even think of and share such concepts, and that there's such a wonderful Universe to conceptualise about!
What I liked, apart from the incredibly stimulating views that Penrose has, was the interviewer nodding and saying yes, when I am not sure he actually understood what Penrose was saying.

But I am a believer that our Universe is not singular (Uni), but one of a potentially infinite number of Universes. Each with their own unique set of physical laws and outcomes.
However, we will never of course find out whether that is true.

What makes me think of this is that our Universe seems just too finely tuned in terms of physical laws and outcomes that resulted in matter and stars and galaxies to have happened by chance.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan

excellent

Counterfactual

"Parasitic DNA makes us age faster - but we're not sure why.

Genetic parasites called retrotransposons become more active as we age, and an animal study suggests this may trigger immune responses that shorten our lifespans"

Tricky little gits!
https://www.newscientist.com/articl...na-makes-us-age-faster-but-were-not-sure-why/

(edit: The pre-print article is about the fruit fly, Drosphila. They found that, "When the team suppressed the activity of just one retrotransposon, it extended the lifespan of the flies by nearly 10 per cent", as well as, "an increase in the activity of genes linked to the immune system.")

Keep your immune system in the best possible order. Chronic inflammation is at the root of much of ill health... physical and mental.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Terminator, here we come!
Nature Briefing said:
Liquid-metal robots can melt and re-form

Researchers have created a material that can move, soften and re-harden under the influence of magnetic fields. To demonstrate the material’s promise, researchers showed how it could be manipulated to pass through barriers, extract an object from an artificial stomach, and move a tiny light bulb into place and then melt into the solder required to make it work.
News article: Metal robot can melt its way out of tight spaces to escape | New Scientist
Scientific article: Magnetoactive liquid-solid phase transitional matter - ScienceDirect

And this is how this is cool (more gifs in the news article):

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
For something so common, water is really complicated - and possibly even more complicated than people already thought:
Nature Briefing said:
New type of ice discovered

Scientists have made a new form of ice that has never been seen before. It was produced by shaking normal ice in a container filled with stainless steel balls at –200 °C, which disrupted the ice’s crystalline structure. There are already heaps of types of ice: depending on how it freezes, water can solidify in any of 20 regular arrangements. And two types of disordered, or ‘amorphous’, ice were already known: one denser, and one less dense, than water. The new ice — called medium-density amorphous ice — seems to have the same density and structure of liquid water. The discovery could help scientists to better understand water’s mysterious properties, as well as geophysical processes on icy moons.
Popular science article: Scientists made a new kind of ice that might exist on distant moons (nature.com)
Scientific article: Medium-density amorphous ice | Science

Last edited:

Counterfactual

Quantum breakthrough could revolutionise computing
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-64492456

"The team developed a system able to transport information from one chip to another with a reliability of 99.999993% at record speeds. That, say the researchers, shows that in principle chips could be slotted together to make a more powerful quantum computer."

Always more work to be done...

Prof Michael Cuthbert, who is the director of the newly established National Quantum Computing Centre in Didcot, Oxfordshire and is independent of the Sussex research group described the development as a "really important enabling step". But he said that more work was needed to develop practical systems.

"To build the type of quantum computer you need in the future, you start off by connecting chips that are the size of your thumbnail until you get something the size of a dinner plate. The Sussex group has shown you can have the stability and speed for that step.

"But then you need a mechanism to connect these dinner plates together to scale up a machine, potentially as large as a football pitch, in order to carry out realistic and useful computations, and the technology for communications for that scale is not yet available."

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I was reading this article about Deep Brain Stimulation treatment for a specific variant of Parkinson's disease: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/first-person-harry-forestell-parkinsons-dbs-1.6752210. In short, they drill into the skull to install electrodes that send signals that correct the brains behaviour in just the right area and allow people to regain control of their limbs, stopping the tremors.

The fun part (well, kinda) is that you can then control those electrodes from the outside - so you can turn them off to show the effect in real time. There's a video in the article that demonstrates it really neatly, but it's in a format that can't be embedded here. Instead, this also shows it:

It's crazy all the stuff we can do!

Last edited:

Brophs

The One and Only
I was reading this article about Deep Brain Stimulation treatment for a specific variant of Parkinson's disease: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/first-person-harry-forestell-parkinsons-dbs-1.6752210. In short, they drill into the skull to install electrodes that send signals that correct the brains behaviour in just the right area and allow people to regain control of their limbs, stopping the tremors.

The fun part (well, kinda) is that you can then control those electrodes from the outside - so you can turn them to show the effect in real time. There's a video in the article that demonstrates it really neatly, but it's in a format that can't be embedded here. Instead, this also shows it:

They’ll just use it to make sex toys more intelligent.

RedTiger

Half mast

The fun part (well, kinda) is that you can then control those electrodes from the outside - so you can turn them to show the effect in real time. There's a video in the article that demonstrates it really neatly, but it's in a format that can't be embedded here. Instead, this also shows it:

That's amazing!

nimic

something nice
Scout
The Turing test is dumb to be fair, chatbots can beat it. And not just these new fancy chatbots, but early ones.

We'll be seeing a lot more of these "Her"-type language models in the near future. I'm sure it could positively impact some people, but it's also going to present a whole lot of new challenges. Particularly with privacy.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Very scary, yeah. China is already showing how video and online surveillance are a 'great' tool to keep a full population under very close control, and this will just make it worse. There are really far too many non-fun applications for AI...
I think is innevitable. Not developing AI in the west would mean that china will develope it anyway and would use it and also at his advantage. So it will happen even if we dont like it. Lets hope the worse perspective dont come true but in 10 years the job market will tale a tumble IMO. That for starters...then, sci-fi scary shit. When and how intense...we will see

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
This is really quite fascinating:
The ancestor of all animals

Ctenophores, also called comb jellies, are the sister group of all living animals, scientists have discovered. The team compared the comb jelly Bolinopsis microptera to sponges — another contender for the most ancient creature on Earth — along with three unicellular relatives of animals. The pattern of genes on the jellies’ chromosomes revealed that they evolved first. That means that early animals were surprisingly complex: they had a well-developed nervous system, and could probably swim around freely. “We have to rethink the function and the structure of the early ancestor of animals. It wasn’t like a simple sponge,” says evolutionary biologist Paulyn Cartwright.
Lay article: The Closest Living Relative of the First Animal Has Finally Been Found - Scientific American
Scientific article: Ancient gene linkages support ctenophores as sister to other animals | Nature

Pretty picture of a bioluminescent comb jelly, or ctenophore:

Last edited:

frostbite

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-65689580

Brain implants help paralysed man to walk again

A paralysed man has been able to walk simply by thinking about it thanks to electronic brain implants, a medical first he says has changed his life.

Gert-Jan Oskam, a 40-year-old Dutch man, was paralysed in a cycling accident 12 years ago.

The electronic implants wirelessly transmit his thoughts to his legs and feet via a second implant on his spine.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-65689580

Brain implants help paralysed man to walk again

A paralysed man has been able to walk simply by thinking about it thanks to electronic brain implants, a medical first he says has changed his life.

Gert-Jan Oskam, a 40-year-old Dutch man, was paralysed in a cycling accident 12 years ago.

The electronic implants wirelessly transmit his thoughts to his legs and feet via a second implant on his spine.
That's amazing!

Smores

Finally hoverboards!!

Chances of that being replicated seem very slim to me.