Cool Science & Technology News

Smores

Sure there's loads but seen one guy on Twitter recreating the experiment and live blogging it.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Hold your hats. Might actually be something in this superconductor stuff. Bloke posting is an actual superconducting magnet engineer. Nowhere near proof, but tentatively suggestive.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Hold your hats. Might actually be something in this superconductor stuff. Bloke posting is an actual superconducting magnet engineer. Nowhere near proof, but tentatively suggestive.

If true then wow. Just wow.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
What are the applications?
My first thought was fusion reactors when I heard about it. They need super conductors to sustain their magnetic fields which is already a pain for various reasons.
Then you got the fancy maglev trains as well.
There's probably a whole host of cool applications.
But in more primitive terms it can be anything where you have a large loss due to electrical resistance.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
What are the applications?
This guy's very enthusiastic, but also knows what he's talking about. Gives a non-exhaustive rundown here:

I think the main hope is that it revolutionises energy storage and transfer. From what I've read superconductors can hold a charge indefinitely. They are also virtually lossless when transferring energy. Depending on how easy this stuff is to manufacture you could lay a cable from the Sahara to Skegness and have virtually no leakage.

Simbo

Hoverboards baby, we're finally getting hoverboards. Our kids at least.

Smores

Think we'll know within the next week if this is a fraud or not but everything seems to say that it's genuine.

This could be a very big deal in fighting climate change. China's grid for instance is a mess so they have coal to compensate, with this they can actually transfer renewables to their cities without loss. I'd imagine that benefit replicates across Africa and the ME as well.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
So first we have the congressional hearing on UAPs. Now we have an announcement on this technology.

We see you.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud

Nah, seems like hype to me. just kidding

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
No matter how many times I look into how superconductors work I'll never understand it, but they have an excellent name and lossless grid transmission and nuclear fusion are certainly exciting applications for the material if it's real, and I'm sure there are loads of other places where it could represent a quantum leap forward too. Fingers crossed!

Balljy

No matter how many times I look into how superconductors work I'll never understand it, but they have an excellent name and lossless grid transmission and nuclear fusion are certainly exciting applications for the material if it's real, and I'm sure there are loads of other places where it could represent a quantum leap forward too. Fingers crossed!
Even something like a PC or PS5 (and pretty much any electrical component) would benefit. Something like a PS5 has most of the space allocated to cooling, plus a load of components to help with that (fans etc). 's only needed because of energy loss and the heat generated from it. All of those wouldn't be required theoretically so the material usage, costs and energy usage would all be a lot lower.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Even something like a PC or PS5 (and pretty much any electrical component) would benefit. Something like a PS5 has most of the space allocated to cooling, plus a load of components to help with that (fans etc). 's only needed because of energy loss and the heat generated from it. All of those wouldn't be required theoretically so the material usage, costs and energy usage would all be a lot lower.
I see, makes sense. Passive cooling everywhere that doesn't require motion would certainly be a huge benefit you'd think!

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Explain like I’m 5 please.
Basically its a new kind of conductor that is as good as 100% efficient. In other words; that the power draw issues and everything that comes with it (heat) and is a big reason we're hitting the limits on tech development, will become a minimal or even a non issue. It's fascinating, exciting and scary at the same time.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Its gone 10 o'clock and you should be asleep by now. You need your sleep to have energy tomorrow.

Now go to bed.
Sounds exactly like what I say to my own kids! :lol:

...but I'm also happy people are helping explain what's actually going on here. :)

frostbite

Superconductor at room temperature and standard pressure ... sounds too good to be true. If I had to bet, I'd bet it will not be confirmed.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Is it bad of me to remain skeptical of tech developments inside the CCP?
Dunno, probably not, but one of the replications that came up negative was also Chinese and the first synthesis of this was in South Korea. Reckon it's healthy to be skeptical of such ground breaking discoveries in general though. Still probably much less than 50% chance that this is the Holy Grail ™ and much more likely the jumping off point for research into a new class of materials with interesting superconductive properties. Here's to hoping though, humanity could do with a bit of a break and a bunch of supercomputer simulations from different labs certainly seem to support its potential:

Three of these are from the US. Obviously this isn't as good as experimentation but you'd like to think it provides a theoretical basis for room temperature ambient pressure superconductors in this type of material.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
This andrew cote says that a colleague of his expert on this topic put the likelyhood of the component to be true at 5%. That before any of this new preliminary confirmations

5% is low but very hopeful IMO for this huge leap in superconductivity and most likely, humanity development

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Wasn't the first report on this material from South Korea?
Dunno, probably not, but one of the replications that came up negative was also Chinese and the first synthesis of this was in South Korea. Reckon it's healthy to be skeptical of such ground breaking discoveries in general though. Still probably much less than 50% chance that this is the Holy Grail ™ and much more likely the jumping off point for research into a new class of materials with interesting superconductive properties. Here's to hoping though, humanity could do with a bit of a break and a bunch of supercomputer simulations from different labs certainly seem to support its potential:

Three of these are from the US. Obviously this isn't as good as experimentation but you'd like to think it provides a theoretical basis for room temperature ambient pressure superconductors in this type of material.
Ahh thanks, great replies, appreciate it.

Maagge

Ahh thanks, great replies, appreciate it.
One thing the Chinese are really good at where science is concerned is their ability to try a whole lot of things in a short amount of time because of how many people they have available. That's especially useful when you want to synthesise exotic materials as there are so many combinations of the materials you use, the state and concentrations of them, the amounts of each of them and not least the recipe and methods for the synthesis. I wouldn't be surprised if a breakthrough would come from China where the synthesis of a material like this is concerned.
Western universities generally have to be more selective in what they try, in my experience. (I worked in catalysis research where there's also a lot of synthesis of materials going on)

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Obviously not yet peer reviewed but the lab behind the above video release a preprint of their replication study:

Here's their pretty positive conclusion:

We have successfully grown the LK-99 materials with consistent diamagnetism transition (got it to float on a magnet) and large levitation angle at room temperature and ambient pressure. Our results show the importance of crystallinity and proper Cu doping, indicating the fundamental potential superconducting mechanism with copper-oxygen induced band changes in such phosphate oxides. We expect more consistent tests such as electrical tests in room temperature will show the great potential [in] such phosphate oxides

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Meanwhile some space engineer who's been live streaming his manufacture of LK-99 took his samples out of the oven around about 5 hours ago and was waiting for them to cool. About an hour ago he smashed the vials he made it in. He's also looking for diamagnetism in the first instance. 30 minutes ago he posted this tantalising tweet:

No update yet, but I'm loving the live update of scientific discovery thing going on on Twitter right now.

Maagge

Obviously not yet peer reviewed but the lab behind the above video release a preprint of their replication study:

Here's their pretty positive conclusion:
We're now getting our science updates from anime characters.