Cool Science & Technology News

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

Amazing.
Meh....not necessarily convinced of life abiotic origin. Finding nucleotides in space rocks is cool, but if they were found as individual molecules or in isolated pockets I don't think it suggests anything other than that molecule formation does indeed follow some sot of standard pattern. Studies have shown spontaneous nucleotide formation and pairing. Could life on earth have originated abiotically? Sure, and that would be cool, but I still think it is much more likely that it originated here.

Spontaneous formation and base pairing of plausible prebiotic nucleotides in water | Nature Communications

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Meh....not necessarily convinced of life abiotic origin. Finding nucleotides in space rocks is cool, but if they were found as individual molecules or in isolated pockets I don't think it suggests anything other than that molecule formation does indeed follow some sot of standard pattern. Studies have shown spontaneous nucleotide formation and pairing. Could life on earth have originated abiotically? Sure, and that would be cool, but I still think it is much more likely that it originated here.

Spontaneous formation and base pairing of plausible prebiotic nucleotides in water | Nature Communications
I find it likely that life on Earth originated here but the ease at which these molecules form outside the Earth system implies it’s less unlikely to have occurred elsewhere

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink

that’s what I was gonna say

That'sHernandez

It's not a massive suggestion bro. It is a massive suggestion that the building blocks of dna are everywhere, but not technically life.
Which makes the transition from group of molecules to life far easier…

The point is if a specific set of conditions on earth created life, if the basic blocks for life are so common they are everywhere in the solar system then the likelihood of that specific set of conditions being replicated and creating life is much more likely

Simbo

I'm fairly sure when we discover irrefutable proof of life outside of our planet the reactions going to be along the lines of "Well yeh duh? Put corrie back on".

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I'm not trying to be a party pooper as I 100% believe life is everywhere in the universe, but I don't think this moves the needle at all for me. There is nothing "magical" about nucleotides, as they are rather simple small molecules. The "magic" is their role as part of DNA/RNA formation.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Does anyone actually still have any doubts of extra terrestrial life being out there?
Extra terrestrial life covers an almost infinite range of variables.
Based upon a sample of one, we know that anywhere there is water, there is life.
But the overwhelming majority are simple bacteria.
If people think that this means there is complex or even intelligent lifeforms, that is still an extremely remote possibility. Even in our own galaxy.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I saw this in the morning and I thought I should post it here. Cool to see it posted already. :)

That's something I was wondering about. If life, or at least the building blocks that allow for the creation of the life, are supposed to have come from space, then how did they arrive there? I agree that the most plausible scenario is what people are saying here, that these 'building blocks' are likely to be commonly available in space (on the scale of the universe, anyway), and so you'll find them in lots of places.

And that in turn connects well to the idea that there must be a lot of life all over the universe. Since there is such an mind-bogglingly enormous number of stars in the universe (and likely even larger number of planets), even if the likelihood of life developing like it has done on Earth is extremely small, there would still be millions of planets with similarly advanced life, and billions upon billions with the simplest life forms. (Which in turn leads to the Fermi Paradox, but anyway. :) )

I still think it's a great discovery though. It's nice to assume all these things, but having actual proof of one of the tenets of the hypothesis is pretty cool.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Is this for real?
Yes. Here is today's news article in Nature:
Nature said:
Planetary science: Building blocks of DNA detected in meteorites

Pyrimidine nucleobases that are necessary for building DNA or RNA may have been delivered to Earth by carbon-rich meteorites, suggests a paper published in Nature Communications.

Two types of chemical building blocks, or nucleobases, are needed to form DNA and RNA. These are the pyrimidines, which include cytosine, uracil and thymine, and the purines, for example guanine and adenine. Thus far, only purine nucleobases and uracil have been identified in meteorites. However, the detection of pyrimidines in laboratory experiments simulating conditions in the interstellar media — the space between stars — has led to speculation that meteoritic delivery may have occurred.

Using state-of-the-art analytical techniques optimised for the small-scale quantification of nucleobases, Yasuhiro Oba and colleagues analysed 3 carbon-rich meteorites; the Murchison, Murray and Tagish Lake meteorites. In addition to compounds that have previously been detected in meteorites — such as guanine, adenine and uracil — the authors identify various pyrimidine nucleobases, such as cytosine and thymine, for the first time at concentration levels up to parts per billion. These compounds are present at concentrations similar to those predicted by experiments replicating conditions which existed prior to the formation of the solar system.

The authors conclude that these findings suggest that such compounds may have been partly generated by photochemical reactions in the interstellar media, which later led to their incorporation into asteroids as the solar system formed. Their eventual delivery to Earth by meteorites may have subsequently played a role in the emergence of genetic functions for early life.
News article: Planetary science: Building blocks of DNA detected in meteorites | Nature Communications | Nature Portfolio (natureasia.com)

And here is the abstract of the scientific article:
Article abstract said:
The lack of pyrimidine diversity in meteorites remains a mystery since prebiotic chemical models and laboratory experiments have predicted that these compounds can also be produced from chemical precursors found in meteorites. Here we report the detection of nucleobases in three carbonaceous meteorites using state-of-the-art analytical techniques optimized for small-scale quantification of nucleobases down to the range of parts per trillion (ppt). In addition to previously detected purine nucleobases in meteorites such as guanine and adenine, we identify various pyrimidine nucleobases such as cytosine, uracil, and thymine, and their structural isomers such as isocytosine, imidazole-4-carboxylic acid, and 6-methyluracil, respectively. Given the similarity in the molecular distribution of pyrimidines in meteorites and those in photon-processed interstellar ice analogues, some of these derivatives could have been generated by photochemical reactions prevailing in the interstellar medium and later incorporated into asteroids during solar system formation. This study demonstrates that a diversity of meteoritic nucleobases could serve as building blocks of DNA and RNA on the early Earth.
Full scientific article: Identifying the wide diversity of extraterrestrial purine and pyrimidine nucleobases in carbonaceous meteorites | Nature Communications

Denis79

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Something else entirely, but also pretty cool:
Nature Briefing said:
Jumping robot leaps to record heights

Roboticists have managed to design a device capable of leaping more than 30 metres into the air. That’s triple the current record for a jumping robot. The robot has a motor that stretches a spring, which drives the jump. Researchers say that this might be near the mathematical limit for jump height using current materials.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Here's another article:

https://www.space.com/meteorites-brought-dna-blocks-to-early-earth

Wonder where the meteorites originated from? Mars, Venus, Europa?
Astronomy is not my bag but most almost all chemical reactions require energy input, likely in the form of heat, so unless these are from the time of planetary formation or when mars was volcanically active it is likely an inner planet, right??? Could they have been ejected from earth by meteor impact? I am likely talking out of my ass.

That'sHernandez

Here's another article:

https://www.space.com/meteorites-brought-dna-blocks-to-early-earth

Wonder where the meteorites originated from? Mars, Venus, Europa?
Astronomy is not my bag but most almost all chemical reactions require energy input, likely in the form of heat, so unless these are from the time of planetary formation or when mars was volcanically active it is likely an inner planet, right??? Could they have been ejected from earth by meteor impact? I am likely talking out of my ass.
Chondritic meteors are meteors which have not undergone any alterations, i.e. they have not undergone differentiation (where denser materials move to the centre of the body through gravity like the nickel-iron core of the Earth) or melting, which would metamorphose the rock. That means they are compositionally unchanged since before the creation of the solar system. Chondritic meteors were formed either prior to or at the formation of the solar system.

The one in the original article originates from beyond Jupiter, so it's probably from either the Kuiper Belt or the Oort Cloud (I'd imagine more likely the Kuiper Belt as the Oort Cloud is predominantly comets). The fact that there are volatiles (water, hydrogen, helium, reactive gases basically) indicates it's likely to have formed outside of the inner solar system because they are not stable as ices in the inner solar system, or at least in current models. There are planets like Jupiter which may have formed close to their stars so that may be wrong.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Chondritic meteors are meteors which have not undergone any alterations, i.e. they have not undergone differentiation (where denser materials move to the centre of the body through gravity like the nickel-iron core of the Earth) or melting, which would metamorphose the rock. That means they are compositionally unchanged since before the creation of the solar system. Chondritic meteors were formed either prior to or at the formation of the solar system.

The one in the original article originates from beyond Jupiter, so it's probably from either the Kuiper Belt or the Oort Cloud (I'd imagine more likely the Kuiper Belt as the Oort Cloud is predominantly comets). The fact that there are volatiles (water, hydrogen, helium, reactive gases basically) indicates it's likely to have formed outside of the inner solar system because they are not stable as ices in the inner solar system, or at least in current models. There are planets like Jupiter which may have formed close to their stars so that may be wrong.
Interesting. So if the nucleotides were found within these meteors it would suggest that at some point after their formation they were within range of a heat source sufficient to allow for small molecule formation? Otherwise they would have been deposited afterwards which is a fun hypothesis :)

Denis79

Thanks for explaining!

That'sHernandez

Interesting. So if the nucleotides were found within these meteors it would suggest that at some point after their formation they were within range of a heat source sufficient to allow for small molecule formation? Otherwise they would have been deposited afterwards which is a fun hypothesis :)
I’m not too hot on astrobiology, my interest is in the geological aspects but I guess they may have formed from the supernovae that created the asteroid, so they would have coalesced from dust during creation.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Not news and not even new, but how cool is it that I am sitting here at 30,000 feet, on a plane, being able to work on high speed wifi. That just boggles my mind.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Not news and not even new, but how cool is it that I am sitting here at 30,000 feet, on a plane, being able to work on high speed wifi. That just boggles my mind.
I felt similar last night when I realized that down swiping a letter on my iPad types out the symbol, no more needing to use the ‘.?123’ button.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Not sure where this goes, but this is hella cool

That's crazy - I had never even heard of that. :)

Do they say something about the strength of the storm? Or why do they appear?