Cool Science & Technology News

Mark Pawelek

Covid-antibody therapy approved in UK, BBC News.

Proteins are amino acid polymers. They're made by messenger-RNA. The spike protein of COVID-19, and antibodies are both proteins. As mRNA makes a spike protein which is delivered, in a harmless virus, as a cheap 'vaccine', then why can't we do similar for antibodies? - deliver mRNA, in a harmless virus, to make antibodies for COVID-19. Summary: I think this treatment should cost closer to £10 than £1000. It's certainly safer than delivering the toxic spike protein as a 'vaccine'.

Maticmaker

@Cheimoon excellent post.

I say bring back 'Tomorrows World' (1965 -2003) ...when the BBC was a proper National Treasure!
Loved every item even the bizarre ones.

We have to keep looking forward, especially in the present day..... "Captain's log: Star date 2345.12.7..... its the future Jim, but not as we know it"

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff

Proteins are amino acid polymers. They're made by messenger-RNA. The spike protein of COVID-19, and antibodies are both proteins. As mRNA makes a spike protein which is delivered, in a harmless virus, as a cheap 'vaccine', then why can't we do similar for antibodies? - deliver mRNA, in a harmless virus, to make antibodies for COVID-19. Summary: I think this treatment should cost closer to £10 than £1000. It's certainly safer than delivering the toxic spike protein as a 'vaccine'.
Why is vaccine in quotations? You’re not doing a nonsense again are you?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

It seems you don't understand SARS-CoV-19, the, vaccines, or the immune system. The immune system is a lot more complex than creating antibodies; if that were all the vaccines triggered, they wouldn't help us much long-term. Also, vaccines already serve to set in motion a reaction of the immune system, so why replace them by something else that only causes the creating of specific antibosies? And finally, there is nothing toxic about the spikes of the virus, they're just its mechanism to attach itself to and penetrate spikes.

Obviously, this stuff is great news for people who can't take the vaccine or are already sick, but it can't replace a good vaccine. I'm not sure, though, why you think it will cost 1% of its current price...?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
@Cheimoon excellent post.

I say bring back 'Tomorrows World' (1965 -2003) ...when the BBC was a proper National Treasure!
Loved every item even the bizarre ones.

We have to keep looking forward, especially in the present day..... "Captain's log: Star date 2345.12.7..... its the future Jim, but not as we know it"
Thanks! But I'm actually not sure which post you mean. :D The one about tracing a mammoth's steps?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Are you one of those people on the internet who magically had expert level knowledge of epidemiology as soon as the first lockdown was mooted? I thought all those people had moved on to being experts in geopolitics and Afghan history by now but perhaps not.

Mark Pawelek

It seems you don't understand SARS-CoV-19, the, vaccines, or the immune system. The immune system is a lot more complex than creating antibodies; if that were all the vaccines triggered, they wouldn't help us much long-term. Also, vaccines already serve to set in motion a reaction of the immune system, so why replace them by something else that only causes the creating of specific antibosies? And finally, there is nothing toxic about the spikes of the virus, they're just its mechanism to attach itself to and penetrate spikes.

Obviously, this stuff is great news for people who can't take the vaccine or are already sick, but it can't replace a good vaccine. I'm not sure, though, why you think it will cost 1% of its current price...?
Yes I know "the immune system is a lot more complex than creating antibodies". But the vaccines we're being sold aren't as simple as their advocates say:
  • We thought the spike protein was a great target antigen, we never knew the spike protein itself was a toxin and was a pathogenic protein. So by vaccinating people we are inadvertently inoculating them with a toxin
    --- Professor Bryam Bridle.
  • These vaccines are also gene therapy, and no gene therapy trials were done.
  • we're vaccinating people in the middle of a pandemic, and this COVID-19 virus is the most mutable kind of virus (single stranded positive sense, RNA). Hey presto: loads of mutant COVID strains.
  • vaccine advocates lie to me about Vitamins (C D3, K2), and precautionary antivirals such as Ivermectin. Advocates told me I'm wasting my time with such. I used to have 2 or 3 colds a year. Now, since I've been taking vitamin C, D3, K2, I don't remember getting viruses!
  • vaccine advocates want to take away our civil liberties - impose mandatory vaccines on everyone. I'm going to trust people like that? No.

Last edited:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
ITER/tokamaks are based around magnetic confinement, which is what you describe above. NIF uses inertial confinement which is a little bit like starting a thermonuclear bomb. The outer shell of the fuel sphere is set off first using lasers, which as well as exploding outwards also pushes inwards, the force of which starts the fusion reaction in the core of the sphere.
Understood. Thank you.
Are you optimistic that a commercial nuclear fusion capability will be developed in the next 2/3 decades?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Are you one of those people on the internet who magically had expert level knowledge of epidemiology as soon as the first lockdown was mooted? I thought all those people had moved on to being experts in geopolitics and Afghan history by now but perhaps not.
He’s a climate change expert too. Or non climate change anyway.

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
Yes I know "the immune system is a lot more complex than creating antibodies". But the vaccines we're being sold aren't as simple as their advocates say:
  • We thought the spike protein was a great target antigen, we never knew the spike protein itself was a toxin and was a pathogenic protein. So by vaccinating people we are inadvertently inoculating them with a toxin
    --- Professor Bryam Bridle.
  • These vaccines are also gene therapy, and no gene therapy trials were done.
  • we're vaccinating people in the middle of a pandemic, and this COVID-19 virus is the most mutable kind of virus (single stranded positive sense, RNA). Hey presto: loads of mutant COVID strains.
  • vaccine advocates lie to me about Vitamins (C D3, K2), and precautionary antivirals such as Ivermectin. Advocates told me I'm wasting my time with such. I used to have 2 or 3 colds a year. Now, since I've been taking vitamin C, D3, K2, I don't remember getting viruses!
  • vaccine advocates want to take away our civil liberties - impose mandatory vaccines on everyone. I'm going to trust people like that? No.
Once again everything you have said is incorrect. Ah, professor Bryam Bridle from Ontario veterinary college. Shock horror you always chose the worst experts.
https://apnews.com/article/joe-bide...ics-religion-a7dd90823ca346534f1087ba0b1071b1

Debunked, please don’t make anymore idiot posts filled with your nonsense conspiracy theories.

@WI_Red can fill you in on how you are wrong about gene therapy if they are not already too exasperated by other misinformed individuals from other threads.

As for the rest of everything else you typed, all it deserves as a reply is this shit joke.

Who can drink 2 litres of petrol? Jerry can.

Thank you and good evening

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Once again everything you have said is incorrect. Ah, professor Bryam Bridle from Ontario veterinary college. Shock horror you always chose the worst experts.
https://apnews.com/article/joe-bide...ics-religion-a7dd90823ca346534f1087ba0b1071b1

Debunked, please don’t make anymore idiot posts filled with your nonsense conspiracy theories.

@WI_Red can fill you in on how you are wrong about gene therapy if they are not already too exasperated by other misinformed individuals from other threads.

As for the rest of everything else you typed, all it deserves as a reply is this shit joke.

He’s banned. Pointless poster.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

I also found this article just now:

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/spike-proteins-covid-19-and-vaccines/

It says the following two.important things about the spikes:
The new study, however, is the first to directly show that the spike proteins themselves are able to cause harm, and also confirms that COVID-19 is primarily a vascular disease that damages blood vessel walls.
So the spikes on virus particles do indeed do their damage (I didn't know that), but the full story is that this isn't the same for tye spikes generates due to vaccines:
The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines produce the full-length spike protein. Pfizer studied several formulations initially, but found that the full length protein vaccine had fewer side effects and was better tolerated than other vaccine candidates, so that is the one they went with. It is also likely that the full protein contains more epitopes (sites for immune activity) and therefore produces more thorough and longer lasting immunity. The proteins, however, are in a fixed state, they are unable to change their confirmation, which is necessary to bind to cells. So they function differently than spike proteins on infecting virus.

After the Pfizer vaccine full spike proteins are expressed on the vaccinated cells for presentation to the immune system. But the vaccine-induced proteins do not appear to cause any harmful effects. This may be because the vaccine is administered in the muscle, and so muscle cells are the ones taking up the mRNA and making spike proteins. There is a vigorous immune response which neutralizes the spike proteins before they can cause any harm. This is very different from a virus replicating throughout the body.

Unfortunately, the complexity of COVID, mRNA, immunity, and vaccines is such that those who wish to raise fears about the vaccine can exploit partial information.
That last sentences is where Mark's post fits in.

And now that's been established, back to cool Science and tech news. I'm loving the discussion about fusion. :)

Understood. Thank you.
Are you optimistic that a commercial nuclear fusion capability will be developed in the next 2/3 decades?
I honestly don't know enough to say. I hope we hit breakeven Q in the next 5 or 10 years but turning that into a usable power source I'm not sure about. Right now we are spending about $50 billion for a fusion reactor that might, if we're lucky, produce as much power as a diesel generator unit. There's a long way to go.

Having said that, if we do crack it, fusion power will blow everything else out of the water. Its so much more efficient than any other type of power generation.

Maticmaker

Thanks! But I'm actually not sure which post you mean. :D The one about tracing a mammoth's steps?
Actually I was attempting to congratulate you on the whole thread 'Cool Science & Technology News', rather than a specific post.

I am a firm believer in looking forward.
Human kind seems to rarely to learn anything from history and tends to make similar mistakes, so to continue to look back means we need to learn from the past or... try to better it; the first of these things its arguable we have failed on, so the second one has to be the aim...to better what has gone before.

I was also simply stating how intrigued I was with 'Tomorrows World' (even though half the time I didn't understand half of it) it was the aspiration aspect that came through.
Sadly I think we humans have 'fecked up' this planet and whilst we could, with a big effort all round slow down the worst aspects, it hardly seems likely unless we can 'leap forward' rather than evolve in terms of Science and Technology.

My (intended joke) comments about Star trek quotes was simply that in the end we humans will rubbish this plant so much the only thing will be to leave it and to follow Captain Kirk, Doc McCoy etc. and seek new planets new worlds etc.

One of the best non football threads, once again congratulations ;)

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Actually I was attempting to congratulate you on the whole thread 'Cool Science & Technology News', rather than a specific post.

I am a firm believer in looking forward.
Human kind seems to rarely to learn anything from history and tends to make similar mistakes, so to continue to look back means we need to learn from the past or... try to better it; the first of these things its arguable we have failed on, so the second one has to be the aim...to better what has gone before.

I was also simply stating how intrigued I was with 'Tomorrows World' (even though half the time I didn't understand half of it) it was the aspiration aspect that came through.
Sadly I think we humans have 'fecked up' this planet and whilst we could, with a big effort all round slow down the worst aspects, it hardly seems likely unless we can 'leap forward' rather than evolve in terms of Science and Technology.

My (intended joke) comments about Star trek quotes was simply that in the end we humans will rubbish this plant so much the only thing will be to leave it and to follow Captain Kirk, Doc McCoy etc. and seek new planets new worlds etc.

One of the best non football threads, once again congratulations ;)
Thank you! :)

Good post. I didn't have a lot of aspirations with the thread though; I'm just fascinated by science and technology. (And nature; @The Corinthian's Nature Is Wild thread is great as well.) Also, I'm happy that you didn't bring up the Churchill quote again, cause I'd have to correct you again and you'd have to correct ne again, and I'd end up looking silly again. ;)

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Thank you! :)

Good post. I didn't have a lot of aspirations with the thread though; I'm just fascinated by science and technology. (And nature; @The Corinthian's Nature Is Wild thread is great as well.) Also, I'm happy that you didn't bring up the Churchill quote again, cause I'd have to correct you again and you'd have to correct ne again, and I'd end up looking silly again. ;)
Yes. Agree with you. It was a good post from someone who does think deeply about things.
I too am and always have been fascinated by science. Mainly physics. Can't say that I understand the maths; more the concepts.
I have an engineering background. And one of the things we all take for granted is the incredible technology that goes into a modern gas turbine engine. If anything is cool science, they most certainly are.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Nature Briefing said:
Saturn might have a fluid, sloshy core

Saturn’s core might be a slushy mixture of ice and rock, rather than a compact solid made of mostly one or the other material, as is generally thought. The diffuse core extends to approximately 60% of the planet’s radius — much bigger than the 10–20% of a planet’s radius that would be occupied by the expected core. Researchers gleaned the surprising discovery by analysing gravitational perturbations in the planet’s rings caused by the oscillating core. “Saturn essentially rings like a bell at all times,” says planetary scientist Christopher Mankovich.
That's pretty unique, unlikely anything else we know in the solar system and not at all what had been expected. Or maybe our expectations are off and Saturn is actually very average compared to planets all across the universe! Who knows, but for now it's a surprise and quite a cool discovery.

Full layman's article here: https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/08/16/1031996/saturn-core-insides-sloshing-rings-cassini

Denis79

Yeah, I figured that. :)

Maybe post it back up; I forget the names of the two tribes(?) you mentioned.
The Wari (Huari) and the Tiwanaku. Spelled differently ofcourse this is how it's pronounced. They bordered eachother close to lake Titicaca (Peru/Bolivia). Although thet share a ethnic heritage they differed in beliefs and culture. Why it's not unreasonable to believe that their ancestors were hostile against eachother.

Edit: These weren't just tribes but empires that came before the Inca. But these empires were formed 500 years after the findings mentioned in the article, why i said their ancestors might have been hostile against eachother.

Last edited:

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Scientists have built a fish tank equipped with wheels and a camera that detects what the fish is doing and directs the tank accordingly. Wonderfully whimisical - but it also shows that goldfish can learn to use the system to navigate through the room to a reward. Short Twitter thread (two posts with videos and a concluding post):

Maticmaker

Scientists have built a fish tank equipped with wheels and a camera that detects what the fish is doing and directs the tank accordingly. Wonderfully whimisical - but it also shows that goldfish can learn to use the system to navigate through the room to a reward. Short Twitter thread (two posts with videos and a concluding post):

Sounds a bit 'fishy' to me :).... excellent post keep it up and happy new year!

Smores

I welcome our new fish robot overlords.

"Hey Dave why don't we put him in that new military robot skeleton next and see what he does, it'll be a laugh....."

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

"Hey Dave why don't we put him in that new military robot skeleton next and see what he does, it'll be a laugh....."
This sounds like a great concept for a slapstick spectator sport! Like WWE but then impossible to script. :lol:

Bosws87

Sounds like another great Rick & Morty episode.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout

Does this mean that we now know fish are fellow sentient creatures and we must ban fishing as a cruel blood sport?

I'm a cuttlefish and octopus fan personally.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Does this mean that we now know fish are fellow sentient creatures and we must ban fishing as a cruel blood sport?

I'm a cuttlefish and octopus fan personally.
Well, pigs are widely known to be very intelligent animals that would be great pets if they didn't grow so big, but I don't think that's stopped a lot of people from eating pork...

Also, octopuses (maybe also cuttelfish?) are among the most intelligent sea creatures, yet who cares when calimari's on offer?

(I should really be a vegetarian, but...)