Cop in America doing a bad job, again

nimic

something nice
Scout
Scary how this thread wouldn't even exist without that video. Makes me wonder them number of people getting killed all over the country in similar situations.
Yep. No one should even remotely surprised that anti-authority/police sentiments have grown strong among black communities in the US. The sad part is that the people who helped create the situation are now the same people who talk about problems with "urban culture". It's not entirely dissimilar to the pre-genocide situation of Jews in Germany and occupied countries. If you put someone in an overcrowded ghetto, deprive them of basic necessities and generally treat them like shit, pretty soon to your eyes they're going to seem like the subhumans you already think they are.

The comparison only goes so far, but I'll be damned if it doesn't apply.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
To be fair he's a lot bigger than the cop and, from that angle, that means those blows probably didn't do much more than sting.

Pretty embarassing for the cop, really.
So you don't strike somebody like that, the cops in Yankee doodle land are basically a legal gang.

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Soldiers do this type of training day in and day out and it can still go to shit in a live situation. I bet cops do a bare minimum of tactical training. I did a lot of CQB training and it isn't easy.
Totally agree with you as I've done it myself and it takes a lot for it to go according to plan.

Il Prete Rosso

Prete, the Italian Pete
The phase "A thousand French men can't be wrong" never applied to black people's complaints of law enforcement in their communities. A lot of police officers and lawyers within the US used minorities and their communities to advance their careers through unjust and even illegal methods. It's minorities that make up the vast majority of their prison population and it's not rocket science why this is. Eventually, I do believe their chickens would come home to roost, how; how unfortunately I don't think it would involve a peaceful process.

Charles Miller

I find it very strange how the american society apparently accept the lunatic abuse of the monopoly of violence by the state. I mean, cops are bad in many countries, they act as the gestapo in my country, but it seems to be contrary to the american ethos to allow agents of the government to punch, shoot and terrorize part of the population.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

The officer’s punishment? He quit, and was duly rehired by a different police department, but he did ‘two days of training in domestic violence’ so it’s ok.

entropy

This article stayed with me ever since I first read it. Five years on, little to nothing has changed in terms of ending cash bail, rikers island, solitary confinement and CJ reforms. Our criminal justice system is so broken beyond repair it is disgusting.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I was reading the thread on r/protectandserve (a police sub) and I just noticed how often the word "justification" was used. As in, "yup this is bad, I can't see a justification".

I mean, it's good that they agree the officer is in the wrong here. But this tendency/inclination to find a "justification" feels...weird? You bet if that guy had resisted just a little bit they would have defended the officer.
Probably becauae if they really say it as it is there will be riots.

It already past the boiling point. You can't really admit it's a racist attack, you cant ignore it, you cant deny it exist. feck knows what they're going to do with it.

It's just maintaining status quo i think

FireballXL5

Doesn’t get any clearer cut than that. Inexplicable, unjustifiable, grossly incompetent on both officers
It's not inexplicable, they're racist pricks with licence to kill and they enjoy it. Bet they were high-fiving each other later.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The "few bad apples" line goes out the window when you realise there are always other cops when these guys commit murder.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He has the suspect cuffed and in control, then he can clearly feel the suspect in distress and later flat line, there are people filming him and begging him to take his knee off of the man's neck and the mouth breathing moron is still at it even after the EMT arrives. He must really feel the suspect's life doesn't matter to resort to that level of callousness. I mean a man could go to jail for animal cruelty if he did that to a dog.

arnie_ni

RedTiger

Half mast
WaPo just flashed a headline that 4 officers have been fired by Minneapolis PD and the MPD police chief has asked the FBI to investigate the officers and incident.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/26/minneapolis-police-death-custody-fbi/?tidr=a_breakingnews&hpid=hp_no-name_hp-breaking-news:page/breaking-news-bar
Towards the end of the article.

The officers involved, who have not been publicly identified, were placed on paid administrative leave, the police chief said. The case will be separately investigated by the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, which according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune investigates most in-custody deaths.

Winrar

It's not inexplicable, they're racist pricks with licence to kill and they enjoy it. Bet they were high-fiving each other later.
Don't know if we can tell he's a racist just from that clip, although he might well be. Could just have been a shitty person on a fecked up power trip.

Incredibly heinous either way and I hope those police officers are put to trial.

Carolina Red

Staff
Assuming asking the fbi is to keep it impartial or would that be standard practice?
During Tuesday’s news conference with the mayor, Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo said he had decided to ask the FBI to investigate after receiving “additional information” on the incident from a community source that “just provided more context than the information I had preliminarily.” He declined to elaborate further.

Carolina Red

Staff
What the feck is going on? :lol: I copy pasted that from the page but now it's not there! That's in the space of 20mins!
Probably because it was initially reported that they were placed on admin leave, as is standard practice, then once more details came out, the MPD decided to fire them.