Cop in America doing a bad job, again

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Is this Aussie cop horseshit a part of the vaccine mandate unrest?

This reminds me of the ‘light ‘em up’ brilliance of the American cops who expended rounds of non-lethal ammo into a group of people sitting on their porch during the unrest last summer. Absolutely no justification for either.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Is this Aussie cop horseshit a part of the vaccine mandate unrest?

This reminds me of the ‘light ‘em up’ brilliance of the American cops who expended rounds of non-lethal ammo into a group of people sitting on their porch during the unrest last summer. Absolutely no justification for either.

With the craziness of the last couple of years it's easy to forget the absolute ocean of footage of American police brutality from the protests. And not "just" regular people, but even clearly marked live media. That's how many fecks were given.

The president might have changed, but the militarized police hasn't.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
‘Trendsetter’ might be a more appropriate term. The LAPD are only one generation removed from atrocities being committed by their rank & file.

It is a bit disconcerting to think of the LAPD as a leader simply due to recent, forced changes to its institutional machinery, but that’s where we might be.
Unfortunately, the only way to implement change on any institution especially one as stubborn as a police department is by forcing it.

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
Over the past week, I was away visiting my daughter...

Was there a discussion a few pages back about how the US congress gave up on the bill that would have included creating a database on law enforcement misbehavior?
I just caught a segment last night on CNN that said Sen Booker 'The chasm between interested parties is too big'

Since before BLM (2015) groups have been calling for a federal list for accountability.

The 5 seconds that CNN covered this topic, they briefly mentioned that it's cop unions that were the main opposition that blocked it from happening.

Sorry if this has been covered already.

Last edited:

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
WASHINGTON—A top Democratic negotiator on Wednesday called off talks aimed at overhauling police tactics and accountability, saying lawmakers were unable to reach a compromise in the wake of nationwide protests sparked by the killings of Black Americans by law-enforcement officers. Sen. Cory Booker (D., N.J.) said he called Sen. Tim Scott (R., S.C.) to tell him the Democrats were done negotiating after Mr. Scott didn’t accept their final offer. “The goal from the very beginning was to get meaningful reforms that would end the policing problems we’ve had in this nation for generations,” Mr. Booker said in an interview. “But in the end we couldn’t do it, if you just take some of those issues of transparency, professional standards and accountability, we couldn’t get there.”

Click Text For Full Article

Having covered the Obama/Biden admin 21st Century Task Force On Policing in Washington DC as a journalist and segment producer for a radio station in DC...
Here's my assessment on the White House official statement as this recent effort collapsed; Joe Biden gives more consideration to the power of the law enforcement lobbyists than most reports have reflected upon after this feeble effort failed.

In this press release
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...dent-joe-biden-on-police-reform-negotiations/

The Biden admin expresses no real hopes that congress will ever pass legislation that will prevent corrupt and/or cops that murder accountable. The best they can hope for is that the DOJ civil rights division will investigate and offer suggestions to cities that have troubles with rouge departments. It would have been slightly more promising had the statement from the White House included something about the DOJ criminal division being more aggressive, but Biden is a centrist (right-leaning) person when it comes to holding cops accountable.

Apparently congress and the White House don't seem to care that in recent years protests have grown increasingly violent because almost nothing has been done to prevent institutional endorsed fascist law enforcement in America.

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Unfortunately, the only way to implement change on any institution especially one as stubborn as a police department is by forcing it.
No doubt, but the LAPD have quite a ways to go before they could be considered the crown jewel, etc. of policing. If their changes create a 30 year time span into the future where there are no atrocities, then they could be considered the gold standard; until then, they simply cannot be.

They could be a leader in recent enacted changes, but that's about it.

bosskeano

stop committing crimes and doing stupid shit when the police arrive and bad shit won't happen to you

bosskeano

is this supposed to be sarcastic?
a bit of yes and a bit of no.....

i just find too much irony in people bitching about the cops being bad when 90% of the cops are genuinely good people and do a great job but nothing is said about the criminals and what some cops have to put up with

NotThatSoph

i just find too much irony in people bitching about the cops being bad when 90% of the cops are genuinely good people and do a great job but nothing is said about the criminals and what some cops have to put up with
Which specific dead criminals do you want to chat shit about?

For instance, what should Philando Castile and Breonna Taylor have done different?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

'Bad apples" & all that, innit?

edit - Rado beat me to it.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
@bosskeano

The cops attacked a woman, kidnapped her kid and used the child on social media to pretend they did a rescue during a dangerous protest. https://www.rollingstone.com/politi...hia-mother-police-brutaility-lawsuit-1227414/

What are you blaming this mom for?
It obvious:

She should have just listened at taken the beating quietly.

She should not have been born black.

Or a woman.

If she had just done those three simple things everything would be fine, obviously her fault.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
If the airport clip was his strong opening gambit, can't wait to see what the follow up moves will be.

NotThatSoph

It obvious:

She should have just listened at taken the beating quietly.

She should not have been born black.

Or a woman.

If she had just done those three simple things everything would be fine, obviously her fault.
What's the way to put this within the rules...? Bosskeano's comment is a fecking scumbag and if anyone has to be at the mercy of the cops then it should be a comment - not a person! - like that instead of innocent people.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
What's the way to put this within the rules...? Bosskeano's comment is a fecking scumbag and if anyone has to be at the mercy of the cops then it should be a comment - not a person! - like that instead of innocent people.
I wouldn't go that far. I do think his comment has trying to be pseudo sarcastic. He's not wrong that a majority of interactions end well, but wrong in that even 1% is too many and should never be minimized. There is a reason we should always be focused on the bad, because the airport cops for not beating the shit out of the asshole doesn't even offset .01% of the cops who murdered Breonna Taylor.

Skizzo

I wouldn't go that far. I do think his comment has trying to be pseudo sarcastic. He's not wrong that a majority of interactions end well, but wrong in that even 1% is too many and should never be minimized. There is a reason we should always be focused on the bad, because the airport cops for not beating the shit out of the asshole doesn't even offset .01% of the cops who murdered Breonna Taylor.
sweeping generalizations are made all the time in here. ACAB remember? ;)

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
sweeping generalizations are made all the time in here. ACAB remember? ;)
100% of all comments are 100% right or wrong depending 100% on how I feel at the time which is 100% based on my BAC and 100% based on my mood and 100% based on what I had for dinner. 100% of the time.

nimic

something nice
Scout

Daft comment. This is the police brutality thread, not the 'crime is bad' thread. This is like going into the Biden thread and complaining that people are too harsh on Biden because Trump was worse. Which has also happened, come to think of it.

bosskeano

@bosskeano

The cops attacked a woman, kidnapped her kid and used the child on social media to pretend they did a rescue during a dangerous protest. https://www.rollingstone.com/politi...hia-mother-police-brutaility-lawsuit-1227414/

What are you blaming this mom for?
@bosskeano

Here's a 73 year old woman suffering from dementia getting her shoulder popped out out joint, the cops later laughing about it saying it was such a good arrest: https://www.npr.org/2021/06/15/1004...dementia-highlights-the-lack-of-police-traini

Is this a criminal doing stupid shit?

simple...in both cases if this is proven correct the officers involved should be fired and charges pressed against them along with financial compensation to the families because that shit isn't right either. Just because they wear a badge doesn't give them the right to abuse anyone but at the same time just because they wear a badge doesn't mean they should be abused either.

I believe some of you guys are taking this either too personally or reading way more into it than was intended. A bad cop should be weeded out as his or her job is to protect people and property from those trying to do harm. I just believe that there is SOOOO much negative focus put on cops to make them look like they are all out to just beat the piss out of anyone that it's pigeon holed.

oh....and Soph....the comment about being black and bringing race into it was not warranted as this has fuk all to do with the color of someone's skin.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
simple...in both cases if this is proven correct the officers involved should be fired and charges pressed against them along with financial compensation to the families because that shit isn't right either. Just because they wear a badge doesn't give them the right to abuse anyone but at the same time just because they wear a badge doesn't mean they should be abused either.

I believe some of you guys are taking this either too personally or reading way more into it than was intended. A bad cop should be weeded out as his or her job is to protect people and property from those trying to do harm. I just believe that there is SOOOO much negative focus put on cops to make them look like they are all out to just beat the piss out of anyone that it's pigeon holed.

oh....and Soph....the comment about being black and bringing race into it was not warranted as this has fuk all to do with the color of someone's skin.
Wait, hold on a second...are you really saying in that bolded part that skin color has absolutely nothing to do with the likelihood of police doing bad shit?

Denis79

I worked as a police officer and I can tell a lot of the bad things we see could have been done differently. There are a lot of people within law enforcement that enjoy the position of power (and sadly abuse it in different ways), trust me I've met several through the years.

bosskeano

apologies @NotThatSoph it wasn't you who said that it was @WI_Red who brought up the race thing

Wait, hold on a second...are you really saying in that bolded part that skin color has absolutely nothing to do with the likelihood of police doing bad shit?
i was talking about the comments that I made originally....i misread who made the statement and thought it was in conjunction with my original comment hence the apology

now...as i said earlier if those incidents occurred as reported they should be prosecuted just like a criminal.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
now...as i said earlier if those incidents occurred as reported they should be prosecuted just like a criminal.
Is this the first time you got into this thread and did you only read this page? Cause the whole idea this thread is to point out is that US police services have is a big problem of racism (and other isms), a big problem with (aspects of) police practice in general, and that police officers are protected far beyond what's reasonable, and hence often escape punishment.

That concept can be discussed, of course, and it does not necessarily mean that all cops are bad and so on (although that depends on whom you talk to). But to come in here and think that saying something like 'bad is bad and needs to be punished and that's it' is a meaningful contribution - that's just incredibly naive compared to the actual situation people are highlighting and discussing in here.

bosskeano

Is this the first time you got into this thread and did you only read this page? Cause the whole idea this thread is to point out is that US police services have is a big problem of racism (and other isms), a big problem with (aspects of) police practice in general, and that police officers are protected far beyond what's reasonable, and hence often escape punishment.

That concept can be discussed, of course, and it does not necessarily mean that all cops are bad and so on (although that depends on whom you talk to). But to come in here and think that saying something like 'bad is bad and needs to be punished and that's it' is a meaningful contribution - that's just incredibly naive compared to the actual situation people are highlighting and discussing in here.
yes....i think i read thru the last 3-4 pages of the thread and the first initials posts of the thread before my initial response

NotThatSoph

This isn't an answer. " stop committing crimes and doing stupid shit when the police arrive and bad shit won't happen to you", that's what you said. What crimes and stupid shit are you talking about regarding the examples I mentioned? If you want we can keep this going with thousands of examples.

bosskeano

This isn't an answer. " stop committing crimes and doing stupid shit when the police arrive and bad shit won't happen to you", that's what you said. What crimes and stupid shit are you talking about regarding the examples I mentioned? If you want we can keep this going with thousands of examples.
i didn't address you or any examples you put up when i made my initial comment