Cop in America doing a bad job, again

Abizzz

Always amazed at how evergreen this cat’s monologues consistently are…

There's hardly a day I don't think about something he made fun of. Yesterday we had a parade of cyclists "protest" around town and I immediately thought about his bit about people with a cause (and hats) :D .

Btt: I can't bring myself to watch that video. It's become so many, so often, I can't deal with it. My heart goes out to his family.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Don’t you think the swift response is more down to an effort to prevent the same riots happening again? Same way there was loads of efforts at damage limiting PR before the footage was released?
That will have played a part in it, but if the 5 murderers were white officers there’s zero doubt in my mind that they’d currently be on paid administrative leave pending investigation.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
What I’ve seen of this Tyre Nichols footage doesn’t represent cops in America doing a bad job. There was no attempt from any of them to do it right.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
At least the trial will be wrapped up quickly. There will be zero appetite for trying to exonerate 5 black cops, zero going the extra mile to reveal any mitigating circumstances, zero lame-ass excuses trying to rationalise their behaviour.

Those cops are too dumb to realise that even with their perceived power, they're still in a lose-lose situation.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The task force that a few of the officers belonged to has a motto - 'If you run, you pay.'

How Rampart-ish.

Bet they have a coin minted up with this motto.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
At least the trial will be wrapped up quickly. There will be zero appetite for trying to exonerate 5 black cops, zero going the extra mile to reveal any mitigating circumstances, zero lame-ass excuses trying to rationalise their behaviour.

Those cops are too dumb to realise that even with their perceived power, they're still in a lose-lose situation.
It amazes me. That even if you're evil, at least you're not that dumb to kill a man in broad daylight or shoot a man having a seizure in front of a whole loads of bodycam.

Are they that dumb? Or what?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Just seen part of the video. Hope those cnuts are jailed for life.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Weird how other countries have police forces too. I hate this blanket bullsh*t . It's an easy soundbite that excuses actual action. Policing - upholding laws that govern a society - has been around far before slave ships left for America, but some want you to only see one thing everywhere.

There is racism in policing. Policing is many things.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Weird how other countries have police forces too. I hate this blanket bullsh*t . It's an easy soundbite that excuses actual action. Policing - upholding laws that govern a society - has been around far before slave ships left for America, but some want you to only see one thing everywhere.

Policing in America in large swaths of the then country was literally groups of white men trying to round up escaped / freed black slaves. Racism is in the DNA of the institution in this country.

RedDevilQuebecois

The entrance screening & educational requirements are laughably miniscule v. other countries’ requirements.
There has to be a way to set the bar a lot higher because this just cannot go on anymore. I swear we North Americans just suck at learning from some of the "older" countries (yes, I'm including Canadian police because the low number of training hours prior to full entry in the service compared to other countries) on how to police more efficiently. Either the funds are diverted into alternative programs and improved training instead of needless hardware, or we defund the whole shit altogether. Either way, there has to be a budget limit that forces into responsible spending.

For the record, some of the most efficient police forces have lower percentages of their respective GDPs being invested into policing (Source - How do countries fund their police?).

RedPed

Whatabouter.
It amazes me. That even if you're evil, at least you're not that dumb to kill a man in broad daylight or shoot a man having a seizure in front of a whole loads of bodycam.

Are they that dumb? Or what?
We had a cop with his knee on a man's neck for 9 minutes in full view of the phone cam wielding public while an off-duty medic pleaded with him to render assistance not so long ago. What do you think?

America is rotten to the core. I hate that place with a vengeance. Just nuke it and start again!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
We had a cop with his knee on a man's neck for 9 minutes in full view of the phone cam wielding public while an off-duty medic pleaded with him to render assistance not so long ago. What do you think?

America is rotten to the core. I hate that place with a vengeance. Just nuke it and start again!
So the solution for a country where people in power use excessive violence on innocent victims is to use extreme violence on 300 million people. Got it.

MarylandMUFan

And lastly from me posting...there's loads more

Had he complied, he would be home right now and would not have had to post bond. He fought police attempts to handcuff him at both confrontations, he felt no pain from strikes, and pepper spray did nothing to stop his resistance. He was either high, crazy, or both. He created his own destiny
Holy cow, I was reading this page bottom to top and didn't know you were quoting other people for a minute and was wondering what the hell is wrong with you. :lol: I could not read the comments in any Fox News source without wanting to vomit.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Tweets like this are inevitable after highly charged incidents. Rest assured policing isn't going anywhere, although there will be intense (but temporary) pressure to reform aspects of it.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Tweets like this are inevitable after highly charged incidents. Rest assured policing isn't going anywhere, although there will be intense (but temporary) pressure to reform aspects of it.
I'm all for that - that's what should be the response here. There are some excellent analyses into the reduction in training that officers receive, the 'talent-pools' from which hiring is happening and the percentage of funding going to stupid stuff like weaponry.

Instead it's easy to say 'policing is racism'. It's a lovely soundbyte, a chunk of the population say you're sooooo deep and really get the historical context. Let's hold some seminars and get some money from think-tanks to see how we can do a long-term analysis of how 400 years has gotten us to where we are, and how America is a special thing with a special relationship and because of that only America gets how American policing could possibly work andif you don't acknowledge race is the root then you're racist yourself so walk the f*ck on and watch your pointy white cap doesn't catch on the way out.

It's performative reform. The American police system is not going to fix institutional racism. If you believe that racism is the fundamental foundation upon which the very concept of policing in America is built then you're never going to fix it. You're just going to moan about it, and say any sensible, tangible reform isn't enough. So huzzah, police=racist, defund the police, etc. Fits nicely on a poster for the riots.

Withnail

It's always interesting to note the change in behaviour or lack thereof when another set of officers show up at a scene. In something like this.

In the video a car pulls up and a few more police officers get out. As they approach the incident one of the cops involved in the beating puts another boot in, seemingly without a care for who is approaching, and there's is no reaction that this is out of the ordinary from any of those newly arrived on the scene.

They'll dress this up as a few bad apples getting rightfully punished but these lads getting convicted won't change a thing.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
So the solution for a country where people in power use excessive violence on innocent victims is to use extreme violence on 300 million people. Got it.
You're damn right! Feck America! I would say that most of those people are complicit by default with the whole gun ownership/crime thing and institutionalised racism in every aspect of US life. If Sandy Hook and the hundreds of school shootings ain't enough to move you people to act then feck the lot of you. Just rip it up and start again.

Withnail

That "Remember: Keep it constructive" banner at the bottom of this thread is a piss-take!

Fecking remove it!
Indeed

You're damn right! Feck America! I would say that most of those people are complicit by default with the whole gun ownership/crime thing and institutionalised racism in every aspect of US life. If Sandy Hook and the hundreds of school shootings ain't enough to move you people to act then feck the lot of you. Just rip it up and start again.

BlueMoonOutcast

Rag in Disguise
Supports
Manchester City
Hearing Tyre Nichols calling out for his mum as he's beaten to death is just too much man.

icehole

That will have played a part in it, but if the 5 murderers were white officers there’s zero doubt in my mind that they’d currently be on paid administrative leave pending investigation.
I don't think it's quite that easy here. Memphis is about 60% black; whites are the visible minority. The Police Chief is black, and I may be mistaken, but I think the city's administration is mostly black. I expect the police union is as well. If the offending cops were white they might be afforded gentler treatment on the basis of minority status rather than privilege, but I'm not at all convinced they would be treated any differently in this case.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Policing in America in large swaths of the then country was literally groups of white men trying to round up escaped / freed black slaves. Racism is in the DNA of the institution in this country.
Indeed. It’s like someone asking why America’s prison-industrial complex has anything to do with slavery.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
it's basically the concept of government under which significant powers are shared between the Federal and the Regional /State Governments. It's actually what was part of the original orientation of the founding fathers
The US is more or less the worst version of a democracy you can think of.
I disagree, it's an outdated Constitution that is the real problem

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Holy cow, I was reading this page bottom to top and didn't know you were quoting other people for a minute and was wondering what the hell is wrong with you. :lol: I could not read the comments in any Fox News source without wanting to vomit.
I only look now and then to see what is being said, and sometimes to add a comment to wind them up :D

But the reality is that there's a significant number of people think like this, you should see the Paul Pelosi thread!

When you see this stuff it makes you wonder how long it will be before there really is some kind of civil war

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Don’t you think the swift response is more down to an effort to prevent the same riots happening again? Same way there was loads of efforts at damage limiting PR before the footage was released?
The complicating factor is that in the interim between the last BLM protests (George Floyd) and now, police killings are higher than ever before.

Law enforcement killed at least 1,176 people or about 100 people a month last year, making it the deadliest for police violence
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jan/06/us-police-killings-record-number-2022
So I'm not sure how much PR or wanting to prevent riots matters to police - it certainly means more overtime pay! Maybe someone in the chain of command personally disliked this video, and so decided to take action.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

What do you think the relation between police and minorities in the rest of the world is?

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
I can't seem to fathom why this has happened?

Is there something underlying here? Police brutality has been linked partly to racism before but in this case its diminished by the perpetrators being black.

Why did those 5 police officers beat an innocent guy they didn't know to death? A toxic culture in their unit?

GiddyUp

Don't forget the time they had a family handcuffed and down on the hot asphalt when it was over 100 degrees with the babies screaming. The stolen vehicle they were after was actually a motorcycle not a family wagon. Cops in America are a pack of dumb abusive cnuts.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!

Is there something underlying here? Police brutality has been linked partly to racism before but in this case its diminished by the perpetrators being black.

Why did those 5 police officers beat an innocent guy they didn't know to death? A toxic culture in their unit?
A toxic culture prone to violence, thoroughly desensitized and jaded and lacking any semblence of empathy, it's not just their unit, it's a vast swathe of the population of the United States. Not everyone by any measure but a big slice unfortunately.

As others have aluded to, police in America were originally slave hunters. Then they became legitimate when slavery was abolished but never got rid of the mentality.

Police in any country have their fair share of bullies who never left the playground and power trips to the max because of the authority. Add in guns everywhere and media messaging that criminals are everywhere so you need guns everywhere and everyone is terrified, suspicious and completely fecked in the head. Not a good thing if you're a police officer having to suspect everyone is gonna kill you, not a good thing if you're stopped and you suspect the police officers are gonna kill you either.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause

It’s not quite as simple as saying race didn’t play a part just because the 5 officers were black.

The fact is people in America, but especially the police, view a black person as inherently more dangerous than an equivalent white person. Whatever the race of the officer, this fundamental fact which is subconsciously present amongst police, and reaffirmed throughout their training, and in every day society.

Therefore the question isn’t if the officers are black why did this happen, but rather if the victim was not black, would this have happened?

AlPistacho

but the jarring aspect of the TN video is that he was completely defenseless during the beating.
That’s the hardest thing to take. The fact that from the cctv video he appears to be already out and they are holding him up so each can keep punching him.

Even in street attacks, unless if alcohol is involved, there usually comes a stage where at least one will realise it’s going too far and stop it. But in this there wasn’t.

Don’t know if he is right or wrong. My dad saw it, he thinks there must have been a previous issue and it seemed very personal. Exact words “looks like they are taking out vengeance”. Before anyone jumps on his head, he is old and comes from a time when walking the streets at night would often see him get stopped by passers by asking him if he needed a lift or if he’s car had broken down etc.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
It’s not quite as simple as saying race didn’t play a part just because the 5 officers were black.

The fact is people in America, but especially the police, view a black person as inherently more dangerous than an equivalent white person. Whatever the race of the officer, this fundamental fact which is subconsciously present amongst police, and reaffirmed throughout their training, and in every day society.

Therefore the question isn’t if the officers are black why did this happen, but rather if the victim was not black, would this have happened?
I said diminished, not 'race didnt play a part'. I dont think this would have happened if the victim was white. But I am still shocked it happened to a black man at the hands of black officers.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
That’s the hardest thing to take. The fact that from the cctv video he appears to be already out and they are holding him up so each can keep punching him.

Even in street attacks, unless if alcohol is involved, there usually comes a stage where at least one will realise it’s going too far and stop it. But in this there wasn’t.

Don’t know if he is right or wrong. My dad saw it, he thinks there must have been a previous issue and it seemed very personal. Exact words “looks like they are taking out vengeance”. Before anyone jumps on his head, he is old and comes from a time when walking the streets at night would often see him get stopped by passers by asking him if he needed a lift or if he’s car had broken down etc.
Yeah, it certainly is. I was thinking the Rodney King video was the slightly worse of the two last night, but the defenselessness & the ability to hear what the cops were saying / how they were acting makes this video far worse.

It did seem very personal, but that just might have been the zeitgeist of the SCORPION unit, always 'us against them.' They actually fist bumped on the CCTV video soon after Nichols was leaned up against the car. Two other people came out & said that the unit did the same thing to them (pulling over for no reason / minor reason) & the interaction turned physical & ugly quickly. One of the victims called in to Internal Affairs twice, but no one ever got back with him. If someone from IA had done so, the Tyre Nichols murder may never have happened.

AlPistacho

The officers being black is the only reason they were immediately fired and charged.

There will justifiably be protests and riots.
I’ve heard this. But looking at both the videos I think even if they were white they would have been fired straight away.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The sheer aggressiveness from American police is just something else. Even traffic stops are approached as life-or-death situations.

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
I’ve heard this. But looking at both the videos I think even if they were white they would have been fired straight away.
Do you think that when the incident involves Black Police Officers it does not get the same attention as when it involves White Officers? I have this terrible feeling that there might be more cases like this but there was no outrage just because it was a Black officer and the victim was Black. This current case might be different because it was 5 of them and it was kinda hard to ignore.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The sheer aggressiveness from American police is just something else. Even traffic stops are approached as life-or-death situations.
Given the likelihood of a gun appearing it's not hard to understand why, doesn't excuse what happens sometimes

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
With there being more guns than people in my country, a routine traffic stop can be far from routine.

But going into a traffic stop in the mentality those five officers had is unacceptable.