Copa Libertadores de América 2018 | Round of 16

matador

Love the Copa Libertadores, it might not have the quality of the Champions League but some of the matches have real entertainment :)

I'm not following it much this year but how are Atlético Nacional from Columbia doing? I remember watching them a couple of years ago and backing them to win it after watching one of their matches, they were attacking so relentlessly that I had to put money of them to win it and they did. :drool:
They’re doing great. They have been for the last 3-4 years. Clearly one of the favorites to lift the trophy again. They play tonight against Colo Colo, the Chilean champion.

Wayne's World

They’re doing great. They have been for the last 3-4 years. Clearly one of the favorites to lift the trophy again. They play tonight against Colo Colo, the Chilean champion.
Good to know, might even try and watch the game tonight since I'm not working until late tomorrow :)

IFC 1905

I can't wait to wach Racing - Cruzeiro.

This Libertadores is the best in many, many years.

We'll play next thursday in Venezuela. Can't wait to see the patch in our shirt with the 7 Libertadores

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Great goal by Cerro.

Delfin should win later on, Bolivar been average this season and are dire at lower altitude.

Charles Miller

Gremio is really average without Arthur. And they could not find another 9 after losing Lucas Barrios.

Absolutely love Libertadores and Sudamericana. Started following it a few years ago and while the quality isn't always that high it's always entertaining and end to end. Really enjoy watching the huge range of teams from around the continent, especially because they're competitive a lot of the time. Really cool seeing things like Bolivian teams bringing their own unique challenge with altitude against the South American powerhouses

Charles Miller

I can't wait to wach Racing - Cruzeiro.

This Libertadores is the best in many, many years.

We'll play next thursday in Venezuela. Can't wait to see the patch in our shirt with the 7 Libertadores

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:
Hope you guys trash Corinthians:D
Corinthians under the coach Carille always do the same thing: they park the buss as a small club to score in counter attacks.

My team Palmeiras have a terrible group with Boca Juniors, Junior Barranquilla and Alianza Lima.

IFC 1905

Palmeiras is like the strongest time in brazil right now, right? Along with Cruzeiro. I still remember when Riquelme toyed Palmeiras on his own, don't know if you watched that final.

Corinthians did park the bus against Racing in the last Sudamericana, they were all we don't want to be in Argentina. They played without blood. I hope we can make a good work, our team proved that can fight teams like Gremio who are the current champions, and we didn't reach our best form yet because the signings came really late.

matador

Good away win by Cerro Porteño (PAR) against Monagas SC (VEN).
Gremio (BRA) got 1 point in their visit to Defensor Sporting (URU).

Racing (ARG) are defeating Cruzeiro (BRA) 1-0.
Colo Colo (CHI) and Atlético Nacional (COL) 0-0 in 20'.

Made in Brazil

Supports
Santos FC
Palmeiras is like the strongest time in brazil right now, right? Along with Cruzeiro. I still remember when Riquelme toyed Palmeiras on his own, don't know if you watched that final.

Corinthians did park the bus against Racing in the last Sudamericana, they were all we don't want to be in Argentina. They played without blood. I hope we can make a good work, our team proved that can fight teams like Gremio who are the current champions, and we didn't reach our best form yet because the signings came really late.
The most expensive, but I don't think the strongest. Lack some cohesion and heart. I would bet in Corinthians or Gremio as Brazilian teams that will reach last rounds. Corinthians are a bit lazy but historically fits well in a defensive system.

bebeanderson

The best teams still are Corinthians and Gremio, untill Palmeiras prove their worth.

Corinthians wanted to get knocked out of that Sudamericana last year basically. They were starting to lose steam in the Brasileirao and the squad was too thin to play both competitions.

Fridge chutney

The classics: Boca Juniors, Flamengo, River Plate, Corinthians, Atlético Nacional, Gremio. Mostly Brazilians and Argentines.
Colombian teams have been doing well recently including my club Atletico Nacional. Just beat Colo Colo too ;)

Uruguay has been historically strong too, really the only country that comes close to Brasil and Argentina historically . But nothing to show recently.

IFC 1905

What a great game Racing vs Cruzeiro has been. Awesome. Cruzeiro plays really, really well. And Racing has a lot of fire up front with Martinez. I like this kid so much, he's the only player I'd take from Racing Club in a no brainer. I think him and Diego Milito are the only players I wish they played for my team in the history of Racing Club.

PD: @Made in Brazil @bebeanderson thanks for your answers guys

matador

Results Group Stage - Matchday 1 (February 27)

Group 1

Defensor Sporting (URU) 1
Gremio (BRA) 1

Monagas SC (VEN) 0
Cerro Porteño (PAR) 2

Group 2

Colo Colo (CHI) 0
Atlético Nacional (COL) 1

Group 5

Racing Club (ARG) 4
Cruzeiro (BRA) 2

Last edited:

matador

Games to be played today:

Group Stage - Matchday 1 (February 28)

Group 6

Nacional (URU) v. Estudiantes de la Plata (ARG)

Group 2

Delfín (ECU) v. Bolívar (BOL)

Group 4

Flamengo (BRA) v. River Plate (ARG)

Group 7

Millonarios (COL) v. Corinthians (ARG)

Last edited:

Made in Brazil

Supports
Santos FC
Good Matchday.
It will be interesting to see if the expensive team of Flamengo make a good run this year (awful in last three participations with three knockout at group stage). River Plate will be a great challenge, pity is a closed-door game:boring:.

Nacional vs Independiente it's the other big match. I was a bit disappointed with Indepediente performance against Gremio in Recopa, let's see how they perfome against the leader of Uruguayan Apertura.

IFC 1905

Group Stage - Matchday 1 (February 28)

Group 6

Nacional (URU) v. Independiente de la Plata (ARG)

Group 2

Delfín (ECU) v. Bolívar (BOL)

Group 4

Flamengo (BRA) v. River Plate (ARG)

Group 7

Millonarios (COL) v. Corinthians (ARG)
Nacional is playing vs Estudiantes de la Plata, there's no Independiente de la Plata

matador

Results Group Stage - Matchday 1 (February 28)

Group 6

Nacional (URU) 0
Estudiantes de la Plata (ARG) 0

Group 2

Delfín (ECU) 1
Bolívar (BOL) 1

Group 4

Flamengo (BRA) 2
River Plate (ARG) 2

Group 7

Millonarios (COL) 0
Corinthians (ARG) 0

Last edited:

matador

Group Stage - Matchday 1 (March 1)

Group 7

Deportivo Lara (VEN) v. Independiente de Avellaneda (ARG)

Group 4

Independiente de Santa Fe (COL) v. Emelec (ECU)

Group 6

Real Garcilaso (PER) v. Santos (BRA)

Group 8

Alianza Lima (PER) v. Boca Juniors (ARG)
Atlético Junior (COL) v. Palmeiras (BRA)

bebeanderson

Flamengo looked trully awful. I have no idea why they hired a coach from the 80s, or why they didn’t buy one centerback.

Charles Miller

When everybody is fit Gremio is the best team in Brazil. But Palmeiras have the best group of players.

matador

Results Group Stage - Matchday 1 (March 1)

Group 7

Deportivo Lara (VEN) 1
Independiente de Avellaneda (ARG) 0

Group 4

Independiente de Santa Fe (COL) 1
Emelec (ECU) 1

Group 6

Real Garcilaso (PER) 2
Santos (BRA) 0

Group 8

Alianza Lima (PER) 0
Boca Juniors (ARG) 0

Atlético Junior (COL) 0
Palmeiras (BRA) 3

Last edited:

matador

Remaining Matchday 1 games to be played next week:

Group Stage - Matchday 1 (March 13)

Group 3

Atlético Tucumán (ARG) v. Libertad (URU)

Group 5

Vasco da Gama (BRA) v. Universidad de Chile (CHI)

Made in Brazil

Supports
Santos FC
Talking about Brazilian Clubs, awesome victory by Palmeiras, though German Gutierrez managed to do a De Jong kick at 9'. Corinthians parking the bus, nothing new, will be like this along tournament... Flamengo awful as always in this Century. And finally, Santos will probably be knocked out in group stage, first time since 1984. Terrible perfomance and scary squad.

matador

Talking about Brazilian Clubs, awesome victory by Palmeiras, though German Gutierrez managed to do a De Jong kick at 9'. Corinthians parking the bus, nothing new, will be like this along tournament... Flamengo awful as always in this Century. And finally, Santos will probably be knocked out in group stage, first time since 1984. Terrible perfomance and scary squad.
Santos surprised me in a not very pleasant way. What’s going with this team?

Also, what are the chances of Vasco da Gama against Universidad de Chile? We all know how weak Chileans team have been performing lately in the international arena, but what about the Brazilians in this one? I saw the game against Wilstermann and that 4-0 defeat was something strange.

Made in Brazil

Supports
Santos FC
The main issue about Santos is in midfield. Without any creativity or mobility, Renato is already 38 and Vecchio was never known for his agility (el Gordo). In a 433 formation, a non-creative midfield is harmless; Santos was totally dominated by Real Garcilaso. The stubbornness from coach is another issue, some young prospects like Rodrygo, Yuri Alberto, Diogo Vitor and Gustavo Henrique (not so young) deserves opportunities in first team, but Jair Ventura keep saying that they “are too young” and the opportunity will come.

About Vasco, the weakest Brazilian team for me, but very strong at home, for me it’s likely they will win against Universidad. But, particularly, it seems very unlikely that they pass the group stage (Racing and Cruzeiro far better, imo), so the fight will be against Universidad to qualify to Sul Americana.

Rafateria

Great work guys. I know nothing about SA football but it was fun to watch a few of those clips. Racing vs Cruzeiro, look forward to the return fixture !

Charles Miller

Santos surprised me in a not very pleasant way. What’s going with this team?

Also, what are the chances of Vasco da Gama against Universidad de Chile? We all know how weak Chileans team have been performing lately in the international arena, but what about the Brazilians in this one? I saw the game against Wilstermann and that 4-0 defeat was something strange.
Santos have a new coach and is trying to find a style. But Brazilian teams just can't play in the altitude, so i would not take many conclusions after their first game.

Vasco is weak. They were 7th in the last Brasileirao. I would say they are probably the 10th best team in Brazil.

matador

Results Group Stage - Matchday 1 (March 13)

Group E

Vasco da Gama (BRA) 0
Universidad de Chile (CHI) 1

Group C

Atlético Tucumán (ARG) 0
Libertad (PAR) 2

Last edited:

matador

Results Group Stage - Matchday 2 (March 13)

Group 1

Cerro Porteño (PAR) 2
Defensor Sporting (URU) 1

Last edited:

matador

Results Group Stage - Matchday 2 (March 14)

Group B

Bolívar (BOL) 1
Colo Colo (CHI) 1

Atlético Nacional (COL) 4
Delfín (ECU) 0

Group F

Estudiantes de la Plata (ARG) 3
Real Garcilaso (PER) 0

Group G

Corinthians (BRA) 2
Deportivo Lara (VEN) 0

Group D

Emelec (ECU) 1
Flamengo (BRA) 2

Last edited:

Charles Miller

Santos defeated Nacional(Uruguay) 3-1. Great run by Rodrygo Goes(17) in the second goal.
In Santos they call him "the third ray". The first was Pele, the second Neymar. Probably an exaggeration.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Santos defeated Nacional(Uruguay) 3-1. Great run by Rodrygo Goes(17) in the second goal.
In Santos they call him "the third ray". The first was Pele, the second Neymar. Probably an exaggeration.
With 10 men too, was watching cause they were in my bet. Played well.

bebeanderson

How many next Neymars from Santos in the past 5 years? Gabigol, Victor Andrade etc

matador

Results Group Stage - Matchday 2 (March 15)

Group F

Santos (BRA) 3
Nacional (URU) 1

Group C

Strongest (BOL) 1
Peñarol (URU) 0

Group G

Independiente (ARG) 1
Millonarios (COL) 0

Last edited:

Raru9

Hi everybody. This year the Copa Libertadores seems very excited for the history of the clubs and their good quality. As always, is very difficult to guess who team gonna win it.

In this first fixtures i been watching mostly Venezuelan teams o teams with Venezuelan players (Millonarios - Wuilker and U de Chile - Soteldo). Very surprised for the level of Deportivo Lara who won 1-0 vs Independiente. They also made a good first half againts Corinthias but the team lacks offensive and secodd half Corinthias improve.

I am from Venezuela, so, sorry in advance for any mistake while i am writing this :lol:

Charles Miller

Hi everybody. This year the Copa Libertadores seems very excited for the history of the clubs and their good quality. As always, is very difficult to guess who team gonna win it.

In this first fixtures i been watching mostly Venezuelan teams o teams with Venezuelan players (Millonarios - Wuilker and U de Chile - Soteldo). Very surprised for the level of Deportivo Lara who won 1-0 vs Independiente. They also made a good first half againts Corinthias but the team lacks offensive and secodd half Corinthias improve.

I am from Venezuela, so, sorry in advance for any mistake while i am writing this :lol:

Deportivo Lara is very organized and Corinthians had a bad time with them.
Saludos a Venezuela hermano!