Cost of living crisis: Lets pay more to water companies so they can invest more in their shareholders.

Baneofthegame

People were getting fed up with being ripped off, it's cheaper to go abroad and spend 2 weeks in Spain or Portugal than it is to spend 2 weeks in Cornwall or Blackpool and it'll probably not rain for most of it either

I can only go off my own experience as a kid in the 70's, I never had a 2 week holiday to anywhere outside of spending summers at my Grandparents house in Scotland and that wasn't every year
Yeah I’m only speaking from my own experience, with 2 kids for us to go to Portugal or Spain its 4 grand at least for a two week holiday, obviously in school time it would be half the price.

arnie_ni

Re: buying cars. It will usually require an outlay that is backed by the trade/sell-on value of your old car, making it cheaper if, like the housing market, you were on the car market already. Especially now as used cars are retaining their value.

It is ergo disproportionately more expensive to those in a car-less state, much like deposits are crazy expensive to people in a house-less state. If you hold those assets already then you hold more cards (or in this case, cars) than others.

Again, it's why this cost-of-living crisis isn't equal. It hits the poorer hardest.
No thats just not true, most people buy a new car every 3 years. The poor aren't people

acnumber9

About 3 million people a year get a new car, and air travel is already back to pre Covid levels and climbing rapidly. So the answer is most people.
If there’s 35 million drivers in England alone and 3 million get a new car every year that would suggest 1 in almost 12. Or a new car every 12 years. What are the numbers for people flying abroad?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
If there’s 35 million drivers in England alone and 3 million get a new car every year that would suggest 1 in almost 12. Or a new car every 12 years. What are the numbers for people flying abroad?
I'm assuming the answer is going to be "lots of people".

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Yeah I’m only speaking from my own experience, with 2 kids for us to go to Portugal or Spain its 4 grand at least for a two week holiday, obviously in school time it would be half the price.
You're looking in the wrong places then because you could do that for half that IMO quite easily

Already posted. Bang on 50% fly each year with 126 million total trips.

35 million cars is the wrong number too, there are 25 million drivers. If those new cars are on an average 3 to 5 year lease then something like 12 million cars on the road were bought new by their owner. So not far off half.

Never mind though, the nitpicking has all successfully distracted from the point that most people still live very comfortably in the UK, despite the doom mongering.

cafecillos

35 million cars is the wrong number too, there are 25 million drivers. If those new cars are on an average 3 to 5 year lease then something like 12 million cars on the road were bought new by their owner. So not far off half.

Never mind though, the nitpicking has all successfully distracted from the point that most people still live very comfortably in the UK, despite the doom mongering.
No, not "posted". Post one link to the actual stats instead of just writing a number.

Also, how is 50% of anything "most"?

acnumber9

34.8m people have driving licenses in England alone. You can’t just remove them from the calculation because they didn’t buy cars. The main reason you would hold a license and not buy a car is because you couldn’t afford it. Even if you consider 25 million it is still on average a new car for every 8th person or year.

If something is on a lease you haven’t bought it. What would be the reason for taking a lease? Because you don’t have the money to buy outright.

If those cars are on leases do they stop driving when the lease is up? No, they get another one or buy a car. So the same people will be accounted for multiple times. You can’t just cheat numbers to try and stand up to a wildly inaccurate claim.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
35 million cars is the wrong number too, there are 25 million drivers.
You seem to be very confidently wrong:

RAC Foundation numbers:
Latest estimates show that in 2021, about 77 per cent of English residents aged 17 and over (an estimated 34.8 million people) held a driving licence. In 1992, the proportion of adults with a licence in England was estimated at 67 per cent (an estimated 25.4 million people).
In the United Kingdom, there were 33.2 million cars (81.5 per cent), 4.63 million LGVs (11.4 per cent), 0.54 million HGVs (1.3 per cent), 1.36 million motorcycles (3.3 per cent), 0.15 million buses & coaches (0.4 per cent) and 0.84 million other vehicles (2 per cent) licensed at the end of September 2022.
11101 also said said:
You said the majority of people buy a car every 3 years. There are around 50 million adults in the country. Last year 1.65m new cars were registered. The year before that the figure was 1.67m. Even if we accept that each new car bought in every 3 year period was bought by a different person that still only adds up to 4.95 million people. This is less than 10% of the British adult population. You can't say that more than 50% of people have a car less than 3 years old when 90% either have no car at all or drive one more than 3 years old. It's silly to say it's nitpicking when someone pulls you up on such an egregious error. If you don't want to be corrected stop making claims which are so obviously untrue.

Last edited:

cafecillos

Look, the numbers I made up may be monumentally wrong, but feck that, my point was that the plebs live better than they claim they do :lol:

You seem to be very confidently wrong:

RAC Foundation numbers:

You said the majority of people buy a car every 3 years. There are around 50 million adults in the country. Last year 1.65m new cars were registered. The year before that the figure was 1.67m. Even if we accept that each new car bought in every 3 year period was bought by a different person that still only adds up to 4.95 million people. This is less than 10% of the British adult population. You can't say that more than 50% of people have a car less than 3 years old when 90% either have no car at all or drive one more than 3 years old. It's silly to say it's nitpicking when someone pulls you up on such an egregious error. If you don't want to be corrected stop making claims which are so obviously untrue.
I never once said every other person in the UK had a new car every 3 years. Please point me to where I did. I said that the majority of people were able to do things like have a new car, go on holidays, and other things like that. They can, and until they can't nobody is going to do anything about anything.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I never once said every other person in the UK had a new car every 3 years. Please point me to where I did. I said that the majority of people were able to do things like have a new car, go on holidays, and other things like that. They can, and until they can't nobody is going to do anything about anything.
But evidently the majority of people aren't able to have a new car, only 3-5% of adults in any given year do. You're equating buying a new car to going on holiday as if they are in the same ballpark. If you'd just left it as "about 40-45% of people still manage to holiday abroad each year" then nobody could argue with you, but you didn't. Anyway, here's where you said it:

What is this? Who can afford to go on a 2 week holiday every year and get a new car?
About 3 million people a year get a new car, and air travel is already back to pre Covid levels and climbing rapidly. So the answer is most people.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I said that the majority of people were able to do things like have a new car, go on holidays, and other things like that. They can, and until they can't nobody is going to do anything about anything.
You've already had your "facts" disputed with actual evidence so I'm amazed how you still think your point stands.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Nah, provide an actual excerpt from it if it's your evidence. I'm not signing up for some website just to browse through a potentially lengthy report to do your job for you. You made the statement so you back it up.

But, anyway. I didn't realise that 50% of the population flying equated to going purely on holidays. And even if it did, is that it? That's the entirety of your evidence that the majority of people aren't being affected by the current cost of living crisis, and they've never had it better? (By the way, your source doesn't remotely state that 50% go on holidays)

A reminder of what your first point was;

Because for the vast majority of people life is as good as its ever been. On average we live longer, live safer, can do more and have more disposable income than ever before.
I fail to see how you can keep claiming this when, so far, all of your arguments don't hold up to scrutiny. If that link is genuinely some sort of bombshell, irrefutable proof, then I'm sure you'll be more than happy to give me the actual excerpt that proves it.

Because, so far, the only thing in your own source that I can see that's relevant actually shows that between 57-68% of the population don't go on flying holidays...

...and it's ten years out of date.

Last edited:

Sod it, I'm not coming back to a million different notifications everytime I login. Yes you're right I'm wrong, the majority have it incredibly tough these days. Those Victorian kids didnt know they were born compared to us!

Now let's all get back to planning how we're going to Guy Fawkes the government so we can have a few days out of the workhouse.

FireballXL5

Sod it, I'm not coming back to a million different notifications everytime I login. Yes you're right I'm wrong, the majority have it incredibly tough these days. Those Victorian kids didnt know they were born compared to us!

Now let's all get back to planning how we're going to Guy Fawkes the government so we can have a few days out of the workhouse.
:lol:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

A valiant concession

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

We accept your grovelling apology, don’t let it happen again or we’ll cut off one of your numbers.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Also you weren’t comparing nowadays to Victorian era (~120 years ago). You were comparing nowadays to 20-30 years ago.

nimic

something nice
Scout

acnumber9

The best way out of an argument is always to blame everybody else for replying instead of just accepting it. Definite MP material here.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
He would've got away with it were it not for those meddling kids.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Judge not a country based on how the median person lives. Judge it based on how the bottom 10% live.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Sunday papers are saying that our Energy bills (in the UK) will massively increase again this winter.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
just shows how all the world’s problems are actually caused by the poor. as soon as you price them out of stuff and kill them off, everyone else wins.

Big Andy

Bloke
I know it's a recognised way of curbing inflation, but surely making everything more expensive and making people struggle is a really shit way of going about it. There must be an easier way to stop it.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
I know it's a recognised way of curbing inflation, but surely making everything more expensive and making people struggle is a really shit way of going about it. There must be an easier way to stop it.
That's the thing - it's corporate greed that's causing the inflation. Price gouging, profiteering, hypercapitalism etc etc.