Cost of living crisis: Lets pay more to water companies so they can invest more in their shareholders.

Dan_F

Feels like some industries have realised they can just charge whatever they want because people don’t have a choice but to pay it.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Feels like some industries have realised they can just charge whatever they want because people don’t have a choice but to pay it.
True but you're also paying for those who drive without insurance and end up causing damage to someone else's car, and those numbers are probably way up

arnie_ni

True but you're also paying for those who drive without insurance and end up causing damage to someone else's car, and those numbers are probably way up
Why would they be way up now that in previous years?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Why would they be way up now that in previous years?
Because with the cost of living crisis more people will have forgone insurance, that's only part of it of course, they're screwing you because they can, interestingly, I'm in the US and my insurance is 1 big bundle, 3 cars, 1 RV and house, it hasn't gone up by much overall in a good few years

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Because with the cost of living crisis more people will have forgone insurance, that's only part of it of course, they're screwing you because they can, interestingly, I'm in the US and my insurance is 1 big bundle, 3 cars, 1 RV and house, it hasn't gone up by much overall in a good few years
I dunno maybe keeping insurance costs down to ensure that more people are insured might help with that then?

Dan_F

Everything’s gone up. Cost of materials, wages, imports (UK specifically). I’m not sure if more people are driving uninsured now compared to previously though, logically that might be the case.

I guess the main issue is that extra money being spent doesn’t seem to be flowing down to the people spending it. The rich are siphoning it off.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I dunno maybe keeping insurance costs down to ensure that more people are insured might help with that then?
Doubtful, it was way over the top more than a decade ago when I still lived in the UK, looks like it hasn't changed, it's things like this which reinforces my mindset that I'm never going back to live in the UK, you get screwed for everything

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Doesn't help that electric cars are extremely expensive to fix, well, most modern cars with all this technology are stupidly priced, but electric cars are horrendous.

Tesla charge around £1500 for a headlight replacement.

Bert_

Doesn't help that electric cars are extremely expensive to fix, well, most modern cars with all this technology are stupidly priced, but electric cars are horrendous.

Tesla charge around £1500 for a headlight replacement.
Headlights are all electric regardless of the engine being electric or combustion.

Tesla overcharging for low quality crap is a different issue.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Headlights are all electric regardless of the engine being electric or combustion.

Tesla overcharging for low quality crap is a different issue.
Basically what I said with different words?

dinostar77

yep. Water rates are due to go up 44% in next few years to pay for £96billion of upgrade work for out aging water system. The new bill will be around £650 - £700 a year for water for most of us.

It was in the documentation submitted to OFWAT last week for the £96billion of work.

No doubt the board of directors at eaxh watwr company will be getting massive salary and bonuses increases paid for by us tax payers.

Dr. StrangeHate

yep. Water rates are due to go up 44% in next few years to pay for £96billion of upgrade work for out aging water system. The new bill will be around £650 - £700 a year for water for most of us.

It was in the documentation submitted to OFWAT last week for the £96billion of work.

No doubt the board of directors at eaxh watwr company will be getting massive salary and bonuses increases paid for by us tax payers.
Will they still be chugging sewage in our rivers?

Why is the UK getting ****ed over so badly while US overall still is doing quite well?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports

Why is the UK getting ****ed over so badly while US overall still is doing quite well?
I'm not sure the folks in Flint would agree, but it should be a reminder that votes have consequences, this is the price you pay for electing Tories

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
They will try to rob you at every opportunity.
I have a very healthy balance. But they are constantly trying to increase my direct debit account. You have to be very careful with them.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
The energy companies trying to profiteer is something I can live with. Ofgem actively enabling them is beyond the pale.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Aren't people in debt partly because the energy companies have maintained their prices despite wholesale costs coming down?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Aren't people in debt partly because the energy companies have maintained their prices despite wholesale costs coming down?
Why do you hate shareholders so much? Your pension fund is probably tied to this so you should stop complaining.

...or some other random bullshit that apologists make for this price gouging.

Maticmaker

They will try to rob you at every opportunity.
A lesson I learned early in life, where monopolies are concerned... no doubt you did too!

Unless the state takes control of energy and water the future is bleak, whatever they say these are, and always have been (in my lifetime), run effectively as monopolies, except now in private hands the excessive profit return is now going to those who hold the shares.

Much shall have more!!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
A lesson I learned early in life, where monopolies are concerned... no doubt you did too!

Unless the state takes control of energy and water the future is bleak, whatever they say these are, and always have been (in my lifetime), run effectively as monopolies, except now in private hands the excessive profit return is now going to those who hold the the shares.

Much shall have more!!
Exactly. But because of the that, whatever happens, it is not the shareholders who have to pick up the bill. It remains down to us the readily supply of money to the treasury.
Just look at the Water fiasco.

Maticmaker

Just look at the Water fiasco.
Yes, this is a real scandal they don't have to produce water, just collect, treat and distribute.

I was once told by an old friend I worked with (in a consultancy situation) that in the early 20th Century around 1910-13 a detailed State plan was drawn up to produce a national water supply network across the mainland UK. Its cost at the time was estimated at around £300k, because of the onset of WW1 however, it was shelved. In the mid 1930's the same plan (exactly) was resurrected and was now estimated at £3m, again the threat of WW2 caused it to be shelved. My friend said that the last time he was aware of the plan being reviewed was in the early 1970's which the estimated cost was then into the 100's millions, but again, this time the 1974 Oil crisis did for it, so it was never even considered there after. Our discussion took place in the early 1980's, and I've never heard anything since, but of course it wasn't long after that MrsT put gas, electricity/power, water utilities etc. up for privatisation, so perhaps there was some truth in it?

I don't know how true all this was, I suspect my friend who is now no longer with us, was however in a position to know, and he was probably worried about 'D' notices etc. so he always was careful about the detail and who his source was. Yet if it is true, just imagine the costs if it was to be introduced now, in particular in line with climate change requirements??

The mind boggles!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yes, this is a real scandal they don't have to produce water, just collect, treat and distribute.

I was once told by an old friend I worked with (in a consultancy situation) that in the early 20th Century around 1910-13 a detailed State plan was drawn up to produce a national water supply network across the mainland UK. Its cost at the time was estimated at around £300k, because of the onset of WW1 however, it was shelved. In the mid 1930's the same plan (exactly) was resurrected and was now estimated at £3m, again the threat of WW2 caused it to be shelved. My friend said that the last time he was aware of the plan being reviewed was in the early 1970's which the estimated cost was then into the 100's millions, but again, this time the 1974 Oil crisis did for it, so it was never even considered there after. Our discussion took place in the early 1980's, and I've never heard anything since, but of course it wasn't long after that MrsT put gas, electricity/power, water utilities etc. up for privatisation, so perhaps there was some truth in it?

I don't know how true all this was, I suspect my friend who is now no longer with us, was however in a position to know, and he was probably worried about 'D' notices etc. so he always was careful about the detail and who his source was. Yet if it is true, just imagine the costs if it was to be introduced now, in particular in line with climate change requirements??

The mind boggles!
Sounds reasonably plausible doesn't it.
Margaret Thatcher wanted to turn us all into mini capitalists by encouraging us to buy shares. That and busting the Trades Unions, although as you will remember, Barbara Castle was one of the first to try to legislate with In Place Of Strife. But globalisation did a far more effective job.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
How is it there overall currently? Things still crazy pricey or has there been a bit of a cool down?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
How is it there overall currently? Things still crazy pricey or has there been a bit of a cool down?
Petrol finally starting to come down slightly, otherwise still being ripped off by the Tory-supported cartels more generally but inflation is cooling at least.

RoyH1

I pay 2000 pounds for a 1 bedroom apartment in London. Do the math :/
It's been a while since i've lived in London, but please tell me that you at least live in travel zone 1 with that kind of price

Shez

It's been a while since i've lived in London, but please tell me that you at least live in travel zone 1 with that kind of price
Zone 4 - woolwich right on top of the new Lizzie line station. It’s beautiful and comes with its perks but still - extortionate stuff

Maticmaker

Sounds reasonably plausible doesn't it.
Margaret Thatcher wanted to turn us all into mini capitalists by encouraging us to buy shares. That and busting the Trades Unions, although as you will remember, Barbara Castle was one of the first to try to legislate with In Place Of Strife. But globalisation did a far more effective job.
Yes, spot on!
Also, Maggie wanted a property-owning democracy (turn us all into Tories) so allowed the sales of council houses or what we now refer to as social housing. So called 'tough' Trades Union legislation had been tried before in the early 1970's, remember Judge (Black Jack) Donaldson... and the Industrial Relations Act 1971, the attempt to force unions to curb in their wild cat strikers.
Maggie did get one over on Arthur Scargill via the second Miner's strike, when the miners used the same ploy they had used successfully in the first miners strike, i.e. via 'flying pickets', but Maggie countered this in the second strike by busing police from all over the country into the coalfields.
You are right however, the effects of globalisation was much more effective, in controlling unions and they still haven't found a way around this yet.

Last edited:

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
It doesn't deserve a thread and I only have portuguese links, but a new report shows that in Algarve there are around 11 thousand people living in homes without conditions, including tents, improvised houses, abandoned and degraded houses. A record number of families losing houses because they can't pay rent anymore. A record number of homeless people in the region. A record number of help requests from families who are in danger of being evicted.

At the same time, 200.000 houses in Algarve that are only used for a few months during the summer and are empty for an average of 9 months a year. Record number of profit from tourism, hotels and rented houses for tourists in 2023.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It doesn't deserve a thread and I only have portuguese links, but a new report shows that in Algarve there are around 11 thousand people living in homes without conditions, including tents, improvised houses, abandoned and degraded houses. A record number of families losing houses because they can't pay rent anymore. A record number of homeless people in the region. A record number of help requests from families who are in danger of being evicted.

At the same time, 200.000 houses in Algarve that are only used for a few months during the summer and are empty for an average of 9 months a year. Record number of profit from tourism, hotels and rented houses for tourists in 2023.
What's the rhetoric within Portugal on those record numbers? And who benefits electorally, the left or right?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
What's the rhetoric within Portugal on those record numbers? And who benefits electorally, the left or right?
In Lisbon where I live people are becoming more and more fed up with tourists, especially because it's virtually impossible to afford a house in the Lisbon area and the price of everything is going up. In Algarve it's a bit different because tourism is the biggest employer in the region, so there's more tolerance because a lot of people are stuck in this.

In terms of right and left, I don't have any poll numbers, but the impression I get, even from the parties strategies you see on tv and their outdoors, is that younger people want more social housing and higher wages, that's the focus, better social policies. The right of course focuses on the number of immigrants, especially brazilian. Sadly the trumpist right has really gone for this rhetoric and it's having good results. We'll have elections in March, so we'll see the effects of this damage.

This is all bullshit, of course, this month the social security numbers also came out, immigrants had a net positive impact on social security of 1500 million euros, and represented 31% of all contributions, a new record. Most immigrants are young, healthy and find work very quickly, so it's been a huge boost for the portuguese social security. Any policies to limit immigration will be a bazooka shot in our own feet. But as we've seen with brexit, a lot of people are willing to suffer just as long as they don't have to listen to strange languages on the bus or whatever.

Fluctuation0161

Because we are the only country in the Worls which privatised its water supply, under Thatcher.

Since then the billions of pounds that should've been spent on upgrading and fixing the system has been going into private shareholder pockets.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports

Seriously, if you think the US is doing quite well then ask someone from Flint, Michigan or Jackson, Mississippi