g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Cost of living crisis: Lets pay more to water companies so they can invest more in their shareholders.

Big Andy

Bloke
That's the thing - it's corporate greed that's causing the inflation. Price gouging, profiteering, hypercapitalism etc etc.
The sooner we get to a Star Trek style "no money" society and everyone gets everything they need from replicators, the better. Although I bet some cnut would try and profit from that as well.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The Bank also said there was no evidence that companies were benefiting from so-called "greedflation", by putting prices up more than necessary to bolster profits.
It said "corporate profits have been little changed" over the past two years "suggesting that firms increasing prices to raise their margins is not currently a significant contributor to inflation".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66384289
Excuse me but what the actual feck?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Excuse me but what the actual feck?
Andrew Bailey is an elitist Tory ideologue piece of shit. The sooner people realise this and stop expecting him to be impartial and objective the better. He’s from the same circles as all the worst of the Tory MPs who do what Tufton St tell them to do.

Maticmaker

That's the thing - it's corporate greed that's causing the inflation. Price gouging, profiteering, hypercapitalism etc etc.
It's corporate greed given freedom by corporate opportunism!

The COVID aftermath and the war in Ukraine, have led to a massive 'out of the blue' opportunity for the corporate bodies to pile in and 'dip their bread' and they have done so with gusto. Governments can't stop it (even if it wanted too) because they don't know how, and the rest of us have to put up with it. It's all leading to the perfect example of 'trickle down' greed economics. Liz Truss will be delighted, because she put the tin-lid on it with her 'walk on the wild side' economics, then disappeared over the horizon, in perfect carpetbagger style....

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
It's corporate greed given freedom by corporate opportunism!

The COVID aftermath and the war in Ukraine, have led to a massive 'out of the blue' opportunity for the corporate bodies to pile in and 'dip their bread' and they have done so with gusto. Governments can't stop it (even if it wanted too) because they don't know how, and the rest of us have to put up with it. It's all leading to the perfect example of 'trickle down' greed economics. Liz Truss will be delighted, because she put the tin-lid on it with her 'walk on the wild side' economics, then disappeared over the horizon, in perfect carpetbagger style....
Governments can use windfall taxes to curb it and bring the money back into the public coffers, passing it back to the public via tax breaks and benefit schemes designed to help.

It’s an ideological choice not to.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
There is a large part of society that is prolonging this.

Big corporates. Obviously they are always going to try and rip the general public and make as much profit as possible. Scum

Tradesman. Won't lump them all in but they have been cashing in since covid. Prices for anything home improvement wise are at an unbelievable level, watly above inflation. You are lucky to be able to get one to turn up to quote, never mind do a job at a reasonable price. Add brexit to this and they will all be retiring in the next few years

Government. They thought this would come down naturally and didn't anticipate the greed. Also refuse to tax these profits of big corps.

BOE. Ignoring the greed.

Utilities - Doesn't even need an explanation.

High prices are here to stay.

Maticmaker

Governments can use windfall taxes to curb it and bring the money back into the public coffers, passing it back to the public via tax breaks and benefit schemes designed to help.

It’s an ideological choice not to.
If only!
What about the 'trickle down' greed? Corporate's put their prices up, the next level down on the company 'food chain', passes the increase on down the line, adding on 'a bit for their trouble', then it goes down again to the next level who also squeeze in a bit, and so on, until it reaches the man in the street, who turns around to see who he can recover his costs from and finds out he's at the end of the chain...oh sh**!

The result is raging inflation into double figures!
True the government can make use of so call windfall taxes, but all the way down the chain...don't think so, nobody at all would vote for them?
The money comes from everybody's pocket, but does everybody get it back and how much do they get... some will get more won't they, because there is also a 'consuming chain' as well, so in the end Mr and Mrs Average take the strain both ways.

As they say its an ill wind that doesn't blow somebody some good, only its never those (the majority) in the middle is it?

Its not an ideological choice "its a what the feck can we do...Hobsons choice".

Smores

If only!
What about the 'trickle down' greed? Corporate's put their prices up, the next level down on the company 'food chain', passes the increase on down the line, adding on 'a bit for their trouble', then it goes down again to the next level who also squeeze in a bit, and so on, until it reaches the man in the street, who turns around to see who he can recover his costs from and finds out he's at the end of the chain...oh sh**!

The result is raging inflation into double figures!
True the government can make use of so call windfall taxes, but all the way down the chain...don't think so, nobody at all would vote for them?
The money comes from everybody's pocket, but does everybody get it back and how much do they get... some will get more won't they, because there is also a 'consuming chain' as well, so in the end Mr and Mrs Average take the strain both ways.

As they say its an ill wind that doesn't blow somebody some good, only its never those (the majority) in the middle is it?

Its not an ideological choice "its a what the feck can we do...Hobsons choice".
You're literally just describing taxation. There's an odd development over the last decade whereby the idea of fiscal policy as an economic tool has disappeared from all commentary.

It is the governments responsibility to manage fiscal policy to bring inflation down and yes that means taxation designed for the times. Monetary policy can not do it alone.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
You're literally just describing taxation. There's an odd development over the last decade whereby the idea of fiscal policy as an economic tool has disappeared from all commentary.

It is the governments responsibility to manage fiscal policy to bring inflation down and yes that means taxation designed for the times. Monetary policy can not do it alone.
As far as the Tories are concerned, everything is going to plan. The “right” people are making more money and the NHS is failing. There is no desire to fix this, because our idea of fixing it does not align with their own interests.

Maticmaker

You're literally just describing taxation
I'm literally not describing taxation.
I am pointing out the government, any governments inability to deal with what was once described by Harold Macmillan as " events dear boy, events" that occur randomly, and using only a tool set containing only one tool called taxation...windfall or otherwise.

No one at the time could have predicted COVID except those (with hindsight of course) claiming they knew all along we were unprepared. It is arguable the government might have predicted trouble in the Ukraine, since Putin had been itching for a 'scrap' for eights years, sending Russian zealots into the eastern regions of that country stirring things up. However, what should have been 'in the planning pot' so to speak, was that Ukraine was one of the worlds 'bread basket' suppliers and any large scale upset there would affect world food supplies and prices and any sanctions against Russia would generate reprisals thereby affecting world energy supplies.

No amount of raising/lowering of taxes would have stopped COVID/Ukraine war, no fair redistribution even after windfall taxes had been implemented, was possible and the events took place, without further disruption.

Sizable events like COVID and the Ukraine effect, always presents winners and losers, 'the rich get richer and the poor get poorer', and in the immediate aftermath nobody can really do much about it... it's the longer term where the answer lies, that's what I believe( hope) Starmer has his eye on!

Last edited:

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
So our mortgage fixed rate runs out in February and we’ve just had a quote for the new amount. It’s a 55% increase, which means we’re gonna have to find another £480 per month from somewhere. We can do it but we’re obviously gonna have to find a lot places we cut back and make a lot of sacrifices. The frightening thing is that we’re not unique in this situation and we know that and there’s gonna be a lot of people out there who literally cannot afford this so what happens to these people? It’s not like a Home is a luxury, so if they lose that they can go on living without one and it’s not like rents are any cheaper than mortgages - they’re actually worse. This country is hanging on the edge of a cliff.

Nah, provide an actual excerpt from it if it's your evidence. I'm not signing up for some website just to browse through a potentially lengthy report to do your job for you. You made the statement so you back it up.

But, anyway. I didn't realise that 50% of the population flying equated to going purely on holidays. And even if it did, is that it? That's the entirety of your evidence that the majority of people aren't being affected by the current cost of living crisis, and they've never had it better? (By the way, your source doesn't remotely state that 50% go on holidays)

A reminder of what your first point was;

I fail to see how you can keep claiming this when, so far, all of your arguments don't hold up to scrutiny. If that link is genuinely some sort of bombshell, irrefutable proof, then I'm sure you'll be more than happy to give me the actual excerpt that proves it.

Because, so far, the only thing in your own source that I can see that's relevant actually shows that between 57-68% of the population don't go on flying holidays...

...and it's ten years out of date.
The magic of Google's suggestions algorithm.

https://www.abta.com/news/new-research-abta-shows-demand-foreign-holidays-back-pre-pandemic-levels

New figures from ABTA – The Travel Association show that 62% of people have been on a foreign holiday since the lifting of the UK’s COVID travel restrictions (12 months ago)

So your evidence is a survey that says two thirds plan to go on holiday in the next 12 months but only an actual third have booked? And doesn’t account for people who go on more than one holiday and doesn’t provide any actual numbers.
If you skip over the very first line in the article then yes that's exactly what it says

Fluctuation0161

"Were all in it together"
"World leading..."

Bollocks. This government is one of the few in Europe avoiding the proper windfall tax on their mates in the energy industry.

acnumber9

If you skip over the very first line in the article then yes that's exactly what it says
Did you look at the annotation which says it was a survey of 2000 consumers? Or consider that even if that gives an accurate reflection of real data then that would be data from a period when people had more disposable income and had likely been saving for numerous years?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
So your evidence is a survey
No, his evidence is a statement from a website that says there's a survey that says 62% of the population went on a foreign holiday. Good luck finding the actual survey though because I sure can't, and I imagine it'll have the exact same flaws that the last survey he posted had.

Still though, it's impressive how he still thinks that folk going on holiday proves that people have never had it better than they have it now. Even if the data did actually show that 62% of folk have gone on holiday in the last twelve months. Which, based on the shite he posted the other week before he fecked off in a dramatic fashion, I'm inclined to doubt until it's actually proven otherwise with the actual survey results, not just some statement made by an organisation that's entire business revolves around travel market confidence.

Last edited:

Coxy

I never once said every other person in the UK had a new car every 3 years. Please point me to where I did. I said that the majority of people were able to do things like have a new car, go on holidays, and other things like that. They can, and until they can't nobody is going to do anything about anything.
We're going on holiday - but having to use savings to do it. We can't afford to put aside any money on savings anymore - so this will be our last holiday for a long time.

Of course it's affecting a lot of people.

acnumber9

No, his evidence is a statement from a website that says there's a survey that says 62% of the population went on a foreign holiday. Good luck finding the actual survey though because I sure can't, and I imagine it'll have the exact same flaws that the last survey he posted had.

Still though, it's impressive how he still thinks that folk going on holiday proves that people have never had it better than they have it now. Even if the data did actually show that 62% of folk have gone on holiday in the last twelve months. Which, based on the shite he posted the other week before he fecked off in a dramatic fashion, I'm inclined to doubt until it's actually proven otherwise with the actual survey results, not just some statement made by an organisation that's entire business revolves around travel market confidence.
Even if we accept the dodgy numbers as facts the data would start from March 2022, after a period where people weren’t able to go away or go out and had built more savings and would be mostly made up of people who went on holiday in the summer of 2022 which had a completely different financial landscape to what we currently have. His motives for clinging to this are incredibly dubious.

Did you look at the annotation which says it was a survey of 2000 consumers? Or consider that even if that gives an accurate reflection of real data then that would be data from a period when people had more disposable income and had likely been saving for numerous years?
:lol:

The time period is what's wrong now is it. People had too much money that year.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Survey

Mmmmm. The actual survey seems to paint a completely different picture to what The Travel Association want to paint :lol:

@11101

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

No the problem is that the actual survey is impossible to find, even on their own website. An article that states something is true and doesn't back it up with evidence is clearly you're favourite thing as well, but not the best thing to back your entire argument on. And, again, your history with making statements and then providing actual evidence is utter shite at best.

And again ..again. Your original argument before you retreated last time was that right now is the best anyone has ever had it, not just how many folk go on holidays.

Check the dates. That's a different survey.
Yeah @Champ find the illusive out of date survey that apparently backs up his argument, not the more up to date one that shows he's wrong yet again.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

Champ

Check the dates. That's a different survey.
Which paints a completely different story to what the Travel Association wants us to think...

It's the same Survey company, the other survey is nigh on impossible to find and was recorded back in March before inflation and interest rates hit the heights of now.

The survey I linked to is more recent and shows that people are willing to not go on holiday to save money.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That poster should never be taken seriously again :lol:

acnumber9

Of course it fecking matters in the context of the cost of living crisis and how much money people have to spend. You might as well have I vote Tory stamped on your forehead.

acnumber9

Which paints a completely different story to what the Travel Association wants us to think...

It's the same Survey company, the other survey is nigh on impossible to find and was recorded back in March before inflation and interest rates hit the heights of now.

The survey I linked to is more recent and shows that people are willing to not go on holiday to save money.
And related to the period from March 2022 before shit hit the fan.

Hardly a great example. Travel was disrupted by COVID for 18 months. Of course the preceding 12 months is going to have higher figures than average with people who had holidays booked or accrued savings or usually go on a holiday every 2 or 3 years all planning holidays in that particular year.
Figures are virtually the same for the last year before Covid hit, 2019, and the years before.

https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...ay-europe-flight-shame-campaign-a9147226.html

It is heading that way for next year too, with travel agents and airlines all saying business is back to pre Covid levels and beyond. Roughly 60% of people are going on at least one foreign holiday each year. So the point is, as long as the majority of people have enough disposable income to be doing that, nobody is going to be out on the streets kicking off about the cost of living.

Last edited:

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Maybe one day we can change the thread title to "The Revolution Thread".

Champ

Figures are virtually the same for the last year before Covid hit, 2019, and the years before.

https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...ay-europe-flight-shame-campaign-a9147226.html

It is heading that way for next year too, with travel agents and airlines all saying business is back to pre Covid levels and beyond. Roughly 60% of people are going on at least one foreign holiday each year. So the point is, as long as the majority of people have enough disposable income to be doing that, nobody is going to be out on the streets kicking off about the cost of living.
Did you even read the fecking article that you keep quoting...

It even states that people are willing to not pay for certain things just to have a holiday...it states that majority of people will be stopping buying other non essential goods in order to buy a holiday.

Before the cost of living increased they wouldn't have needed to do this, they would have had a holiday AND those other non essential items.

The Purley King

So our mortgage fixed rate runs out in February and we’ve just had a quote for the new amount. It’s a 55% increase, which means we’re gonna have to find another £480 per month from somewhere. We can do it but we’re obviously gonna have to find a lot places we cut back and make a lot of sacrifices. The frightening thing is that we’re not unique in this situation and we know that and there’s gonna be a lot of people out there who literally cannot afford this so what happens to these people? It’s not like a Home is a luxury, so if they lose that they can go on living without one and it’s not like rents are any cheaper than mortgages - they’re actually worse. This country is hanging on the edge of a cliff.
Sorry to hear that and you definitely not on your own.
I am bricking it for when our fixed rate expires (fortunately not for a while) as it will become unaffordable for me if the rates stay as they are or get higher.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Car insurance renewal came through the post today. Almost shat myself. 60% increase compared to last year.

Kaos

Car insurance renewal came through the post today. Almost shat myself. 60% increase compared to last year.
Oh I had that earlier this year. Thought my provider was taking the piss so I did what any other sane person would do - look for other quotes.

My current provider was still the cheapest :houllier:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Oh I had that earlier this year. Thought my provider was taking the piss so I did what any other sane person would do - look for other quotes.

My current provider was still the cheapest :houllier:
Yeah, it's absolutely nuts. I had the same - thought I'd get it cheaper elsewhere but nope.