Could Norway be banned from WC? FIFA threatens

Tarrou

I always feel like a boycot is more effective when it comes from a team actually participating - Norway are playing like they dont want to join so .. no big deal.
it’s a bit like when Andy Cole retired from international football despite not being picked

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
I will give you this- When I opened this thread I did not expect to see someone equate the name of a country with how they believe atrocities should be carried out. :lol:
i just don’t think the norwayians should be able to get away with it. their vast oil reserves were all stolen from suffolk in the 9th century.

:lol:

I would be in favor of the Qatari national team wearing 'Justice for Lindisfarne' t-shirts during warm-up.
i’ve heard the england players will kneel at the start of the match against scotland. they’ll knell in solidarity with the monks that were forced to kneel before being beheaded by the norsemen.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
We're talking about Norway. It is one of the closest allies of Israel if I'm not wrong. The U.S approved arms sale to Israel despite what was going on. Are you telling me that these countries would boycott the event if it was being held in Israel? Give me a fecking break.

Norway is participating in the winter Olympics as well being held in China despite the human rights conditions there and the treatment of Uighurs. Where are the shirts for that?

Don't you find the selective outrage a little hypocritical?
Regarding the bolded, how does that pertain to yourself and the way you have commented on Qatar, and how you have commented on Israel?
I think you have spoken correctly and passionately about the situation with Israel Palestine, yet when speaking about the migrant workers in Qatar you've bought up arguments that it could be worse in surrounding areas, that the numbers don't add up, general whataboutism that seems oddly familiar.

With regards to Norway, while I think the mechanics and reasonings that underlie why a nation might not broach some subjects should be explored and discussed, I'd also rather that one atrocity is talked about rather than none. The same way that when Ireland spoke up about the situation with Israel and Palestine, my thought wasn't that I wished they'd kept quiet because they haven't spoken about Qatar.

Yes, a handful of people condemn Israel's atrocities on the caf - but I'm talking about the decisions of nations generally.

Would Norway boycott the world cup if it was being held in Israel? I just want a yes/no answer.
Dunno

Is this the farthest someone has gone back in history to try and win an argument on the Caf? Vikings were cruel in the 8th century so that justifies slave labour in the 21st century. Absolute barn buster of a post.:houllier:
He's joking mate, it's @rimaldo

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Nope - my main approach is it is blatant hypocrisy by the west. How countries like Norway can take the high road when they want and be lauded by gullible, hypocrite folks for taking a "principled" stance.
What if someone thinks both Israel and Qatar should be boycotted, but lack the geo-political power to make either of these things happen? Does this pass your divine hypocricy check?

redshaw

Scary how little focus it is on all these poor workers dying by the thousands while 1 football player almost dies and some football clubs try to start a super league the whole world gets involved.

What a fecked up planet we live in.
Crazy world. Qatar can also more than afford to offer better conditions from living to work safety.

It shouldn't matter when someone or some group takes a stand, what matters is they have, it should be never too late to say hang on we have to do something, raise awareness and try to make the situation better. The views and political climate change by the year. Questioning why now is as bad as whataboutism.

Redlyn

The west lecturing on human rights after staying silent on Israel. Typical hypocrisy.
First of all that's not true. The collective "west" as you put it have not been silent on Israel. You can find numerous calls to peace from various angles with a simple search. And also to bring in the entire West into a discussion led by the FA of one country seems really unecessary and agenda driven.

Secondly Norway FA is acting on a football related matter. They won't be reacting to every other issue going on in the world and rightly so. There is no hypocrisy here even if you feel there is elsewhere.

Lastly, I think they should be appluaded for taking action rather than called hypocrites. Since they can't do everything they should have done nothing I guess.

Last edited:

snk123

What if someone thinks both Israel and Qatar should be boycotted, but lack the geo-political power to make either of these things happen? Does this pass your divine hypocricy check?
It's a shame that I had to point it out when it was so obvious. Fun fact: Did you know the UK has an arms deal with Saudi Arabia, a country with human rights records far worse than Qatar? Nope? Didn't think so.

I think solid efforts should be made to improve working conditions in Qatar and general living conditions in Israel. Boycotting is never a solution. It does not solve the actual problem.

FatTails

Is there a single argument on the internet around ethics, morality, and justice that doesn’t quickly get dragged down into whataboutism by dimwits

“I know he killed her, but what about Archibald the third who killed his wife in 762 BC and no one EVER talks about it?”

Let’s not stand for anything anymore. Everything is fine.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Haha I got that by his reply to my post. :lol:
in all seriousness, i’m all for highlighting corruption, human rights abuses and some of the more draconian elements of the way the qatar is run, but i do struggle a little with it being done by footballers wearing kits and boots made in sweatshops in other countries where equally horrible things are happening. it’s a little “it’s fine 20 kids at the factory died on the day these boots were made but i’ll be dammed if i’m forced to use them to kick a ball in another country where 20 other dudes died building the stadium.”

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It's a shame that I had to point it out when it was so obvious. Fun fact: Did you know the UK has an arms deal with Saudi Arabia, a country with human rights records far worse than Qatar? Nope? Didn't think so.

I think solid efforts should be made to improve working conditions in Qatar and general living conditions in Israel. Boycotting is never a solution. It does not solve the actual problem.
No way, Saudi Arabia are villains? You are blowing my mind man! Pointing these things out, makes you seem so smart! You should wear a cape.

snk123

Regarding the bolded, how does that pertain to yourself and the way you have commented on Qatar, and how you have commented on Israel?
I think you have spoken correctly and passionately about the situation with Israel Palestine, yet when speaking about the migrant workers in Qatar you've bought up arguments that it could be worse in surrounding areas, that the numbers don't add up, general whataboutism that seems oddly familiar.
It's funny because from a handful of people commenting here, I'm the one who's actually from a South Asian country from where people go to the middle east in droves and work in awful conditions. I know the exact conditions of these countries - I've been to Qatar, the UAE and Saudi multiple times.

I have no sympathy for these nations - they are corrupt and treat people (that are not arab looking) like shit. But you can not single one of them out because your friends (read: UAE, Saudi) want you to. Qatar has improved it's working conditions for laborers a lot and the focus should be on ensuring more of that.

The boycott/cancel suggestion reeks of a dirty political game to me.

He'sRaldo

Is there a single argument on the internet around ethics, morality, and justice that doesn’t quickly get dragged down into whataboutism by dimwits

“I know he killed her, but what about Archibald the third who killed his wife in 762 BC and no one EVER talks about it?”

Let’s not stand for anything anymore. Everything is fine.
I reckon it depends on your lived experience.

For those whose countries are still feeling the effects of Western influence, it's always difficult to hear arguments about morality from those countries against other countries. Especially when there's a valid question as to what degree they actually care about ethics when it affects them.

You're right that the correct thing to do is probably to accept each ethical argument, but like with all hypocrisy, the temptation to call it out is incredibly strong. Pertinent example from @rimaldo above.

snk123

No way, Saudi Arabia are villains? You are blowing my mind man! Pointing these things out, makes you seem so smart! You should wear a cape.
I know it's difficult for you to grasp but if you are in bed with a country known for it's human rights abuses then it gives you no fecking moral right to "boycott" or talk about human rights abuses in another country.
It's because of people like you that Biden has the audacity to call out Russia on human rights abuses while sanctioning millions of $ to Israel and Saudi Arabia.

The hypocrisy is unreal but expected.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I don't know if it's been mentioned but I was against Qatar 2022 the second I heard that they were going to be build almost all the stadiums specifically for the events, that alone should have seen most FAs reject the idea.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I know it's difficult for you to grasp but if you are in bed with a country known for it's human rights abuses then it gives you no fecking moral right to "boycott" or talk about human rights abuses in another country.
It's because of people like you that Biden has the audacity to call out Russia on human rights abuses while sanctioning millions of $ to Israel and Saudi Arabia.

Feck me, that's my fault? And you deduced that by me making fun of you on your silly crusade against hypocrisy?

I have to sit down and decide what to do with my new found powers to influence world leaders!

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
The west lecturing on human rights after staying silent on Israel. Typical hypocrisy.
Call me ignorant but what do you want the west to do exactly? It is easy for the general public to boycott a football tournament in protest of Qatar's human rights issues but what do you want us as the western general public, to do about the situation in Israel?

Norway can easily boycott a football tournament but what exactly would you expect them to do in relation to Israel?

snk123

Feck me, that's my fault? And you deduced that by me making fun of you on your silly crusade against hypocrisy?

I have to sit down and decide what to do with my new found powers to influence world leaders!
You do take everything literally. :lol: I meant because there is no collective outrage on hypocritical stances by these countries, we see these more and more everyday.

Eriku

https://www.tv2.no/a/14014011/

NFF decided to not boycott in late May. This is a non-issue. We’ll keep doing things to call attention to the issues, as we have without FIFA making much of a peep, unless I’m missing something? Norwegian press also went out detailing their weeks of repeated requests for FIFA to answer questions pertaining to the working conditions in Qatar, and the total silence from FIFA. If there’s been any noise about sanctions, I’ve totally missed it, which is weird cause our press would make a big deal of that, I feel.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I don't know if it's been mentioned but I was against Qatar 2022 the second I heard that they were going to be build almost all the stadiums specifically for the events, that alone should have seen most FAs reject the idea.
Not only that but most of them will also only be used for the event.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
You do take everything literally. :lol: I meant because there is no collective outrage on hypocritical stances by these countries, we see these more and more everyday.
Think you're just overestimating my vested interest in this topic. The west is obviously hypocritical as feck.

JPRouve

Scout
Not only that but most of them will also only be used for the event.
That was my issue, an absolute waste. I disliked the idea of the World Cup in South Africa and later when I realized what had happened, Athens 2000. The only silver lining is that Qatar can afford it but when you take into account the terrible work conditions, there is no way to support the idea of Qatar 2022.

AlexUTD

Crazy world. Qatar can also more than afford to offer better conditions from living to work safety.

It shouldn't matter when someone or some group takes a stand, what matters is they have, it should be never too late to say hang on we have to do something, raise awareness and try to make the situation better. The views and political climate change by the year. Questioning why now is as bad as whataboutism.
Good post.

Yes they have money to afford better working conditions, but the problem is that they dont give a shiet about those workers. They are just slaves in their eyes.

Its never too late my friend. But money talks!

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Yes! We dont like corruption, so we have forcefully played badly.

On a serious note, most clubs have now in Norway voted for a boycott.
Good news, I say. I hope other nations follow. Time for fans, clubs and player to finally take a stand on discrimination and racism
I agree completely.

JPRouve

Scout
Not long before Graeme Souness blames Pogba for this.
If Pogba workrate was up to PL standards, those workers wouldn't have to pick up the slack and would be working in a much safer environment.

Makelele

I reckon it depends on your lived experience.

For those whose countries are still feeling the effects of Western influence, it's always difficult to hear arguments about morality from those countries against other countries. Especially when there's a valid question as to what degree they actually care about ethics when it affects them.

You're right that the correct thing to do is probably to accept each ethical argument, but like with all hypocrisy, the temptation to call it out is incredibly strong. Pertinent example from @rimaldo above.
Good post. A boycott of Qatar would reek and be viewed as hypocrisy. All these Norwegians growing a conscious today will never bat an eyelid when the US will host the WC, despite Qatar looking like a fly in the jungle compared to the US when it comes to human rights abuses.

Selective morality.

lysglimt

Scout
I don't defend Qatar. Just laugh at you lot being hypocrites as usual. The reason of outrage from these countries is not to improve worker conditions at all. How would boycotting the event help do that?

But keep on labelling people just because they present a different point of view.
So we should not label people because you have a different point of view - while you call people hypocrites for having a different point of view than what you have ? Congratulation - but that is arguably the dumbest logic I have read by anyone here : ) I applaud thee

stevoc

We're talking about Norway. It is one of the closest allies of Israel if I'm not wrong. The U.S approved arms sale to Israel despite what was going on. Are you telling me that these countries would boycott the event if it was being held in Israel? Give me a fecking break.

Norway is participating in the winter Olympics as well being held in China despite the human rights conditions there and the treatment of Uighurs. Where are the shirts for that?

Don't you find the selective outrage a little hypocritical?
I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume the people who run the Norwegian FA and are considering boycotting the World Cup are not the same people who run Norway's Athletics. So it wouldn't be hypocritical.

You don't need to make these false equivalences to defend Qatar.

stevoc

Scary how little focus it is on all these poor workers dying by the thousands while 1 football player almost dies and some football clubs try to start a super league the whole world gets involved.

What a fecked up planet we live in.
It's both tragic and depressing and made worse by the fact every time it's brought up on here you get the usual people running into defend them.

Jibbs

Rich coming from a country which is still a kingdom, has a colonial past and still has dependencies.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
If Pogba workrate was up to PL standards, those workers wouldn't have to pick up the slack and would be working in a much safer environment.
“pogba leaves traps in scaffold boards. he refuses to wear steel capped boots. he leaves his hi-vis in the van. he doesn’t secure his load around the site. he generally mucks about. you can’t have someone like him on a job site.”

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Indeed

TheReligion

Abusive
sweden think they’re so smart, driving around all day with half a ton of meatballs in the back of their square estate cars only to get back to their log cabins and build a flat packed bed side cabinet to store even more meatballs in.
Yes they even drive with their lights on day and night you know. Something sinister about that.

Commentary

I think the best solution is to fire the entire Fifa board and corrupt executives who've allowed the World Cup to take place in autocratic nations to begin with.

Replace them with Roy Keane I say.

stevoc

You should be ashamed @KirkDuyt being from Holland, which is close to Norway who are thinking about boycotting Qatar 2022. But you are also somehow in bed with the UK who sell arms to the Saudi's and something, something, something.....

Fecking hypocrite. :lol:

What did I just read?

Jibbs

I am sure Norway would refuse to play with all countries involved in Iraq war or with a colonial past and past involvement in slave trade. As if the 19th and 20th infrastructure that Europeans still enjoy was not built by the millions of African slaves that died building them and financed from the loot and plunder they did across the world. Hypocrites.