Could the Leicester result be a critical turning point or a false dawn?

dove

So let me get this straight if we beat any opponents then it will be because opponent were naive but if we lose or draw it is because opponents are amazing and we are crap. Never seen so much biased attitude. It's like you want Ole to fail so that you can be proven right.
Doesn't matter what I want, he will fail anyway. If we lose or draw it's usually not because opponents are amazing but because we manage to be worse than them. It's simple.

Bestietom

I think for now, there will be games that we will scrape a 1-0 win like this, but there will be others where we will get caught out. We tend to fall back on our lead when we score early, and we are not full of goals atm.
3 players = A top DM, AM, and a Prolific CF would get us challenging for honours sooner rather than later.

El-Manos

I think for now, there will be games that we will scrape a 1-0 win like this, but there will be others where we will get caught out. We tend to fall back on our lead when we score early, and we are not full of goals atm.
3 players = A top DM, AM, and a Prolific CF would get us challenging for honours sooner rather than later.
RW is just as urgent

AshRK

Doesn't matter what I want, he will fail anyway. If we lose or draw it's usually not because opponents are amazing but because we manage to be worse than them. It's simple.
Yes you have already decided he will fail and now you want that to happen as anything else will make you look a rightful chump.

TRUERED89

Yes you have already decided he will fail and now you want that to happen as anything else will make you look a rightful chump.
Bet he talked the same sh!te under SAF if he didn't win every game 5-0.

AshRK

Oh come on. Not that narrative again. When was the last time we beat someone convincingly? Dont tell me Chelsea even though the score line flatter us massively. It's been a while and that's a fact. You cant blame people for doubting Ole's capability because of this.
Are we playing brilliant football? No we are not. It's a work in progress. Do I think Ole will be our saviour? I don't know. In the 6 games this season we have had moments where we should have killed the game and there have been moments where we look clueless. But I have seen positives from Ole and I like the fact he wants to have those players around who will give their best which we are already seeing. There is an optimism around the club which we lacked big time since sir alex retired. Again, this could all mean nothing and we are somewhere around 8th this december but I don't think the is jury is out on him yet.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
There's a lot of this on here unfortunately. I'm sure there are people who would be in a bad mood for days if Rashford bagged a brace or if Lingard had a decent game.

Fully Fledged

We have not had much to cheer over the past few weeks but football fans are nothing if not eternal optimists - it is our default.

To say that the win against Leicester was a massive result is an even more massive under-statement. The truth in that in times gone by Leicester at home is a game that United would expect to win. However, with our current run of form, with confidence low and without Pogba, Martial and Shaw that was a game that United could easily have lost.

There were some real positives from the game yesterday, impressive performances from Maguire and McTominay, penalty demon laid to rest by Rashford (who might have had another), but perhaps even more crucially, we have maintained pace with others in the top four. It was a performance that showed grit and resilience and even if we were not at our best, the ability to win whilst not playing brilliantly has always been a tool in United's box.

That said, is there a risk that too much might be read into one result? Leicester in the end were not great and still managed to dominate possession, put us under pressure and might even have equalised. To that extent does the Leicester result just paper over the cracks or does it show that Ole is beginning to get to grips with the challenges and find solutions to problems?

So, here's the rub, do you think yesterday's result could be a critical turning point or yet another false dawn?
Yes.

Fully Fledged

I'm not sure how this match could be considered a turning point

We were really poor in the game and simply defended well.

I could understand this thread if we'd put in a decent performance but we learned nothing.

Our defence doesn't concede many chances (we had no individual errors admittedly but I wasnt judging Lindelof on those)

Our midfield is still limited and all about hard work. Still no creativity and Leicester controlled the game

we didnt break particularly well and Rashford was isolated most of the game

think this might be a pattern until we add some quality to midfield and attack
First clean sheet since the Chelsea game. From small beginnings are empires made.

If we continue to score every game but start to keep clean sheets then we will win matches. We need to start from a solid defence then you give the rest of the team the confidence to go out and express themselves. We still need someone who can bisect a low press regularly but for a young side 1 goal and a clean sheet is a start.

I'm excited about Angel, Mason and Axel at the moment but if people are going to blow up about only beating Astana 1 nil we might as well scrap the kids experiment now.

buckooo1978

First clean sheet since the Chelsea game. From small beginnings are empires made.

If we continue to score every game but start to keep clean sheets then we will win matches. We need to start from a solid defence then you give the rest of the team the confidence to go out and express themselves. We still need someone who can bisect a low press regularly but for a young side 1 goal and a clean sheet is a start.

I'm excited about Angel, Mason and Axel at the moment but if people are going to blow up about only beating Astana 1 nil we might as well scrap the kids experiment now.
some solid analysis there :lol:

aside of the penalty we didnt look like scoring...that's going to be our issue all season

dove

I don’t want it to happen but I think it’s quite obvious it’s gonna happen. Ole is just not the one to bring trophies back.

Fully Fledged

some solid analysis there :lol:

aside of the penalty we didnt look like scoring...that's going to be our issue all season
We haven't not scored yet this season so lets wait until we fail to score before we start laughing at ourselves.
I never get a fan that laughs at their own team but it takes all sorts.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
We haven't not scored yet this season so lets wait until we fail to score before we start laughing at ourselves.
There is no need to get offended . We don't look like scoring at all from open play. Why is it so hard to accept? And it has been like this for months ,isn't it ?

buckooo1978

dont get salty buddy

I was laughing at your Michael Owen-ism comment that if we score and dont concede we will win

disnt mean to offend :)

buckooo1978

And if we go with youth I'm not that bothered. Give the kids time.
I'm happy to take a year of pain to move forward in the long term - lots of question mark's though about our young players.

the issue of course we have will be if Pogba, and Matic go as well which I feel will add another task for Ole, who wasnt supported to replace Herrera and Fellaini. We effectively need a full midfield if we are to compete properly as players like McTominay, Fred and Pereira look like squad players at a top competing club at best.

if all goes well I think our next realistic title challenge might be in 2021/2022 season

Godfather

How can this scrappy 1-0 win that we looked mostly shit in even be a false dawn? It didn't show anything we don't already know. That we have no idea what to do going forward.

pacifictheme

I'm happy to take a year of pain to move forward in the long term - lots of question mark's though about our young players.

the issue of course we have will be if Pogba, and Matic go as well which I feel will add another task for Ole, who wasnt supported to replace Herrera and Fellaini. We effectively need a full midfield if we are to compete properly as players like McTominay, Fred and Pereira look like squad players at a top competing club at best.

if all goes well I think our next realistic title challenge might be in 2021/2022 season
I think next summer will focus entirely of midfield, depending on how well the youngsters get on this season. Maybe one attacking player and two midfielders. I wonder if we'll try for anyone in january.

buckooo1978

I think next summer will focus entirely of midfield, depending on how well the youngsters get on this season. Maybe one attacking player and two midfielders. I wonder if we'll try for anyone in january.
I do hope the groundwork has been done on Sancho and hes willing to join a project as CL qualification looks like it could be tough depending on Arsenal and Chelsea.... the right side of our attack is well well overdue an upgrade so we do need quality there

time will tell on Rashford and, whilst Greenwood shows all the traits of becoming a top striker he's going to be this time next year. An experienced striker who is happy to be used in rotation might be required

midfield will be key though.... 2 top players required minimum

Fully Fledged

dont get salty buddy

I was laughing at your Michael Owen-ism comment that if we score and dont concede we will win

disnt mean to offend :)
It's all good.
I want us to score more than one goal a game as much as anybody does but I want the kids we have to be given a chance. If that means that we have to put up with short term pain for that to happen then I'm willing to accept that.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Leicester have completely outplayed Chelsea and Tottenham now. Against us they barely had a chance.

No idea if it'll be a turning point or not but it was a very good result and a good performance in the circumstances.

El Zoido

Why does everything have to be a turning point of false dawn? Can’t it just be a game?

R'hllor

Every since that classless cnut JM became our manager, this place turned into Serbia during 90`s, its triggering my ptsd.