Could the Leicester result be a critical turning point or a false dawn?

fastwalker

We have not had much to cheer over the past few weeks but football fans are nothing if not eternal optimists - it is our default.

To say that the win against Leicester was a massive result is an even more massive under-statement. The truth in that in times gone by Leicester at home is a game that United would expect to win. However, with our current run of form, with confidence low and without Pogba, Martial and Shaw that was a game that United could easily have lost.

There were some real positives from the game yesterday, impressive performances from Maguire and McTominay, penalty demon laid to rest by Rashford (who might have had another), but perhaps even more crucially, we have maintained pace with others in the top four. It was a performance that showed grit and resilience and even if we were not at our best, the ability to win whilst not playing brilliantly has always been a tool in United's box.

That said, is there a risk that too much might be read into one result? Leicester in the end were not great and still managed to dominate possession, put us under pressure and might even have equalised. To that extent does the Leicester result just paper over the cracks or does it show that Ole is beginning to get to grips with the challenges and find solutions to problems?

So, here's the rub, do you think yesterday's result could be a critical turning point or yet another false dawn?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
How many ‘turning points’ has this side had? It was a good win but it isn’t going to change anything.

Varun

Staff
Neither if I'm being honest. Just another tight game in a long season where we ended on the right side of the result.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Most likely it'll simply be a bit of an up in what will be a roller coaster.

We're basically waiting for the summer window to invest again, while bedding a new style of play in. Hoping some young players develop.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Will we have a thread like this after every win?

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I think it’s a sign of things to come. Little created and even fewer goals. If our defence can keep them out we’ll have a few narrow wins. If not, we’ll have draws or narrow defeats.

Bulldog United

We've got some really tough league games coming up in the next month, so it was very important we won yesterday and took the three points. I hope it's a win that can give the team some confidence.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Neither if I'm being honest. Just another tight game in a long season where we ended on the right side of the result.
Exactly. There is no need to tag "false dawn" or "turning point" for all the games

BlackBen

Ah finally the "Turning point/corner " thread. Can't wait for the "Blessing in disguise" and " Can a loss be a win?" threads :drool:.

This side has had more turning points than a Google map.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Leicester in the end were not great and still managed to dominate possession, put us under pressure and might even have equalised.
The thing is, Ole’s style of football isn’t very possession oriented anyway. What you need to look at is, we had 1 more shot than them 10 to there 9. 2 more on target, 5 to there 3, we also had 6 key passes to there 4.

Looking at possession as the only factor in who dominated misses the bigger picture.

Leicester rarely threatened us.

The Urban Goose

Neither.

The season's not been a disaster so far, we're level on points with Spurs, solidly in the top-4 mix and two missed penalties away from challenging the noisy neighbours for 2nd.

We all knew it was going to be a challenging season, but project "clear the dead wood" is going well and the foundations are being laid for pushing on next summer.

ExecutionerWasp001

We've been in a constant 360 since SAF left. We thought we were going places with Moyes after the thumping debut PL win. We had a short good spell under LVG. We were consistently meh in Jose's first 2 seasons. We need 15 league games of similar consistency to know where we really are.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
How many ‘turning points’ has this side had? It was a good win but it isn’t going to change anything.
Liverpool fans used to say this a lot, and we were saying they were going round in circles. :lol:

:(

settembrini

It was a result that was completely in line with our previous performances, not any better or any worse. As the xG stats show we have been the better team in every game so far this season and have dropped points because of individual errors and plain bad luck. If this had continued then Leicester would have scored when Lindelof gifted them that early chance or we would have missed our penalty (or the ref not given it in the first place). But no team under/over performs xG for very long so a win was due.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
How is it a turning point when we were so poor for most part the time? Of course it’s a false dawn as always.

Rendezvous with Ronaldo

Supports
Hartlepool
It's nothing but a reminder that Pogba is not inperative for you to get adequate results. In fact, you are no better with him than without him. More creative, less solid. Adds up the same.

Sums of parts, and all that...

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
It's just another game. Don't know why you've put special significance on it...

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I think we played better against Wolves than we did Leicester, yet we only drew that game.

Very fine margins with us at the moment. We weren't actually too far off getting maximum points, but we made mistakes against Wolves and Palace which cost us.

We made mistakes yesterday against Leicester too (where Madison almost scored), however we weren't punished.

I don't think yesterday means we have turned the corner at all. To me it just highlights that we cannot consistently kill teams off effectively when we have taken the lead, we always find a way to let teams back into the game. I'm sure we will improve though.

Judas

Open to offers
Good win, that's it. It says a lot about how fragile the team is and people are on here that people want to make a massive deal out of every victory at the moment.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think we played better against Wolves than we did Leicester, yet we only drew that game.

Very fine margins with us at the moment. We weren't actually too far off getting maximum points, but we made mistakes against Wolves and Palace which cost us.

We made mistakes yesterday against Leicester too (where Madison almost scored), however we weren't punished.

I don't think yesterday means we have turned the corner at all. To me it just highlights that we cannot consistently kill teams off effectively when we have taken the lead, we always find a way to let teams back into the game. I'm sure we will improve though.
Pretty much, we are not sharp enough at the top end, we are more balanced at the back but because we are not good enough in attack any mistake at the back can cost us a result. We were lucky to win yesterday in a match where we created very little

We were much better vs Wolves

Infra-red

There won't be any "turning point" after which we'll suddenly start playing little title challengers. The squad is not up to it - we'll continue to win, lose and draw, each with high regularity, for the remainder of the season.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Its a good 3 points against our top 6 rivals. So there you go.

lysglimt

Scout
Let's be realistic - without Pogba and Martial we lack creativity.

However - if we can get those 2 to perform close to their best, we will be ok.

If not - there will be a lot of Leicester-matches where we will have to rely on out defenders.

stu_1992

It's not one or the other. We're going to be inconsistent this season. That's clear. Hopefully we get more good than bad. I'm hoping we can a few wins together now, but it's bit like this win was so good that it's the sign of all our problems being fixed going forward.

Scotty McT

Other mediocre teams sometimes win games. United have false dawns.

Denis79

This. It's going to be a long, hard fought season. Hopefully our attacking unit gets going sooner rather than later, defence seems solid enough but we look blunt up front.

Bestietom

When Pogba, Martial, Shaw, are back we will be stronger. Best thing from this game is the good showing of Fred and Chong. We need to try more of the youngsters, like Garner, and Williams along with Greenwood in cup games and then introduce them into Premiership games.

It’s one game at the start of season - it’s not significant, and wouldn’t have been significant no matter the result.

Found it sad that so many fans jumped on the bandwagon saying Leicester would easily win - posters even saying Vardy was a very for a hat-trick.

This trend of micro analysis of each and every game which results in trying to make conclusions about the entire club and every player is unhealthy.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Could the previous results not result in new threads about turning point created on RedCafe ?

Bestietom

It’s one game at the start of season - it’s not significant, and wouldn’t have been significant no matter the result.

Found it sad that so many fans jumped on the bandwagon saying Leicester would easily win - posters even saying Vardy was a very for a hat-trick.

This trend of micro analysis of each and every game which results in trying to make conclusions about the entire club and every player is unhealthy.
Well I gave us a 2-1 win. I knew it would be close with the players we had out.