Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I’d like to see how much the tax man loses out from a 30% cut to players wages. I bet it’s far more than the tax man has to cough up for the furloughed workers. What a double whammy.
@Rado_N mentioned yesterday, it's £60k lost in NI and Tax for every £100k paycut
Holy shit that’s going to hurt across the entire division.
I had a look and a fairly significant chunk of that is the employer's own NI contribution.

We're all getting shafted by this bullshit.
Yep, 45% players tax, 2% players NIC and 13.8% club NIC.

The government is losing a lot of money with a 30% pay cut across the league.

stevoc

Are you claiming Brugge were mathematical champions of the Belgian league?
No where would you even get that?

I didn't say that, i said the first phase was almost finished and the team in first (top1 ) was mathematically decided.

I am not ignorant of the format employed in Belgium either, i referenced it twice in my last post that you replied to.

stevoc

Maybe it's easy to say in hindsight but I am quite shocked that the Premier League has no insurance or plans in the event that fixtures could not be fulfilled. Of course it was unlikely but I always assumed that contracts worth millions and millions of pound would automatically include clauses that covered either party in the event of freak occurrences. It was a virus this time but who knows, could have been civil unrest or something like that - very very unlikely but possible.
There might well be something like that in the contract but who knows what it stipulates if it does exist.

For example it could be in the event of the season not being completed because of X,Y, or Z then the PL forfeits 40-50% of the money owed from broadcasters for that season or something similar. Which would explain why the PL will want to hang on as long as possible to try to play this season out.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
for those advocating the season is finished BCD, what happens when a portion of your players and staff refuse to cooperate because of safety concerns? What happens if a bunch of them get infected from another player? What’s the legal come back on that if it finishes their careers?

the best thing to do is to dish out the prizes, so flip the league upside down, top 4 becomes relegated and bottom 4 the winners. Seems fair to me
I agree with this GB - just great! :D

Premier League warns PFA of £762m penalty if season is voided
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52168692

Pr much sums up the financial implications for abandonment
More media publishing the push for Liverpoo.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I don't buy the £700 MIllion thing. What exactly are they supposed to do if it's simply not safe enough to play in the UK?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Every single Liverpool fan in this thread is adamant about finishing the current season at the expense of everything else (including human life by the looks it) while the rest of the sane world couldn't care less.

It speaks volumes for their fanbase, doesn't it :)
I enjoy your WUMs but that's pretty vile, especially since literally not one of us has suggested that. Really wish you wouldn't say things that are clearly untrue when it's about things as serious as life and death :)

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I enjoy your WUMs but that's pretty vile, especially since literally not one of us has suggested that. Really wish you wouldn't say things that are clearly untrue when it's about things as serious as life and death :)
I think it's been implied.

stevoc

Premier League warns PFA of £762m penalty if season is voided
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52168692

Pr much sums up the financial implications for abandonment
The Premier League faces a £762m financial penalty if the season does not resume, players have been told.

Such a penalty would apply if broadcasters demanded refunds on games they could not show, the league said during a conference call on Saturday.
Big if in a situation like this, asking for a refund on the cancelled games would be fair enough. But would they really use a global pandemic where thousands of people are dying as an excuse to try to demand a full refund for all the games?

Unlikely in my opinion, it would be very bad PR for the broadcasters. I also assume they would like to continue their mutually beneficial business relationships with the PL. The most likely scenario would be them and the PL coming to a financial agreement if/when the season gets voided.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Big if in a situation like this, asking for a refund on the cancelled games would be fair enough. But would they really use that as an excuse to try to demand a full refund for all the games?

Unlikely in my opinion, it would be very bad PR for the broadcasters. I also assume they would like to continue their mutually beneficial business relationships with the PL. The most likely scenario would be them and the PL coming to a financial agreement if/when the season gets voided.
Yeah I don't see the full value be refunded when we have had 75% of season complete. Premier League should also threaten the broadcasters of going their own route with a streaming service.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I think it's been implied.
Continuing the league even if it puts lives and general health of society in danger? Doubt it, but happy to stand corrected. Even then though, I don’t wanna be put in the same category as someone who has implied that.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Trump held a conference call with all the directors of the big sports in America and says he hopes to have fans back in stadiums by August and September. Might serve as a guideline for UK sports.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
There's no way this season won't be played out, we're 25 million points clear of everyone else, we've won it already in effect.

There's too much money to lose.

The "integrity" of the league will be blown

Why would you play next season instead of finishing this one?

TV companies

Suing

Europe

Villa

YAWN

19 times la

Ok..just got bored of the same stuff, and summarised what any Liverpool fan has said and will say for the last/next 100 pages.

AlwaysRed66

Trump held a conference call with all the directors of the big sports in America and says he hopes to have fans back in stadiums by August and September. Might serve as a guideline for UK sports.
I wouldn't take any notice of what Trump says. Only a week ago he was talking about getting big sections of the US back to work by Easter. That seems to have fallen by the wayside.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I don’t think it’ll be safe to start the NFL with fans in attendance early September. What Trump hopes and what’s realistic are probably two things very far off of each other at the moment...

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yeah, says you.

@Megadrive Man would eat Stevie G's crusty clingons if it meant Liverpool claiming the league title this year. Or so it has been alleged.

Pagh Wraith

Update from Germany: Bayern Munich will return to the training pitch in groups of four/five on Monday. Other German teams (Dortmund for example) have been back training since last Monday.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Update from Germany: Bayern Munich will return to the training pitch in groups of four/five on Monday. Other German teams (Dortmund for example) have been back training since last Monday.
It's an unnecessary risk, surely.

There will be a veritable shitstorm if just one of those players contracts the virus.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
That's good news, hope it doesn't backfire.

It's also sadly irrelevant to England.

Dve

Every single Liverpool fan in this thread is adamant about finishing the current season at the expense of everything else (including human life by the looks it) while the rest of the sane world couldn't care less.

It speaks volumes for their fanbase, doesn't it :)
To sober up a bit, even if some players got infected - despite of all being tested on beforehand - , the chance for young, healthy people to die from it, would match the risk of dying in the traffic on their way there. Let´s not exaggerate either.

TheReligion

Abusive
To sober up a bit, even if some players got infected - despite of all being tested on beforehand - , the chance for young, healthy people to die from it, would match the risk of dying in the traffic on their way there. Let´s not exaggerate either.
I don't think you get this whole virus thing

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The point is they could pass the virus on to one or more people who are vulnerable to its effects, resulting in multiple deaths. Don't tell me I'm exaggerating when that very scenario is happening all across the world as we speak.

Judas

Open to offers
It's amazing at this point people still don't get how this virus works, do some on here literally never watch the news? I bet there's more clued up children than some posting in this thread.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Just void the season and gift Liverpool 80% of the trophy already for the games played. They'll top up the rest themselves.

Dve

I don't think you get this whole virus thing
Yes, I absolutely do. I would of course not vote for the league to start up again this, or next month. But to say that football can only be played when there is absolutely no risk involved - for a start, I would never send a group of youngster with a plain to Astana.

Look, I´m not trying to downplay this crisis, and since early days, I´ve been slamming a lot of people on different forums for not taking this seriously enough. But as some point, we need to start living again, and I absolutely see a chance that the season could be ended with a lot of games - perhaps in June - if we do all we can to minimise the risk of contributing to further spread of the virus. At some points, we would have to send out kids to school again, still with the virus around - and still with a risk of getting sick. I know this if probably not the moment to discuss these things, but lets come back to it in a couple of months. Being isolated behind closed doors also has a price, and come June, the mass psychology may have a changed a bit.

stevoc

Yeah I don't see the full value be refunded when we have had 75% of season complete. Premier League should also threaten the broadcasters of going their own route with a streaming service.
Its an option but i doubt they will need to. Sky and BT's business model for selling their subscriptions relies heavily on PL football being a feature they can offer. Theres no way in my opinion they are going to rock that boat by demanding a full refund for missing out on 25% of the games.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
A streaming service should replace Sky & BT anyway imo. DAZN has already replaced the major sports channels for football in Canada. It’s the equivalent of about £13 a month for every Premier League, Champions League, Europa League & League Cup game plus more, and other sports on top of that.

SirAnderson

I don't buy the £700 MIllion thing. What exactly are they supposed to do if it's simply not safe enough to play in the UK?
Plus would it be the full amount? Or is the 9 games left from each game worth that much? Thought it was 1 billion a season or something. Someone gave the math earlier in this thread that its something like 11million per club.

SirAnderson

A streaming service should replace Sky & BT anyway imo. DAZN has already replaced the major sports channels for football in Canada. It’s the equivalent of about £13 a month for every Premier League, Champions League, Europa League & League Cup game plus more, and other sports on top of that.
Amen to that, more competition the better.

It's amazing at this point people still don't get how this virus works, do some on here literally never watch the news? I bet there's more clued up children than some posting in this thread.
Sandra is more clued up that a lot of people in this thread. It amazes me how a collective of Liverpool fans who have presumably never met can all be so tone deaf and ignorant of the situation. One can only presume they take on this identity from the club itself.

TheLord

That 760 million number is absolute gibberish the media wants us to believe at the moment.

The 760 million number is a scaremongering tactic employed by TV channels and the money-hungry Premier League to justify furloughing staff, availing government benefits, and eventually push for behind-closed-door football despite the terrible health risks associated with it.

Beware.