Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Amir

Just randomely thought, if the season does get voided do fans get refunded for going to games that didn't technically happen?
Sure, if the players give back the salaries they got for playing matches that didn't technically happen!

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Looking at all the plateauing of several Euro countries from this virus, I think we can restart behind closed doors in June/July. First wave will have died down by then.

There won't be any football crowds for a while though. Last thing you want is a 60,000 crowd kickstarting the second wave going into autumn/winter

Of course, I assume the players are up for restarting as well and won't sue the FA for making them play in potentially unsafe conditions.
Not gonna happen

UncleBob

Just randomely thought, if the season does get voided do fans get refunded for going to games that didn't technically happen?
:lol::lol:

Yes, and they'll also give us back the minutes we spent watching the matches on tv.

Brophs

The One and Only
I refuse to believe Levy is now not just at the point of the lockdown where he’s trolling for his own amusement.

RedDevil@84

I refuse to believe Levy is now not just at the point of the lockdown where he’s trolling for his own amusement.
This is what happens when you have Jose's "3rd season self-destruct" pill.

hp88

Behind a paywall so I can't read it all, when he says "estate" what does he exactly mean ?

As in work for one of his other businesses or actually work at his house ? :lol:

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Looking at all the plateauing of several Euro countries from this virus, I think we can restart behind closed doors in June/July. First wave will have died down by then.

There won't be any football crowds for a while though. Last thing you want is a 60,000 crowd kickstarting the second wave going into autumn/winter

Of course, I assume the players are up for restarting as well and won't sue the FA for making them play in potentially unsafe conditions.
Shhh don't say that! You will get called all sorts of names if you have the opinion that football will not be null and void this season!

Don't you know, all the experts here are swearing that this season cannot go on under any circumstances.

SirAnderson

Why must people talk extremes always. Season will finish May, season will be voided now. Can't we just put a pin in it until we actually have a clear answer by the bodies that be, as right now they too are just as clueless.

MrPooni

In my money hungry, less enlightened days I used to admire his financial shrewdness but those days are long gone. Despicable guy.

Redcy

Is extending players contract even legal just like that?
No, all this says is that its possible, contract law in each country would have precedence. What if a player decides he doesnt want to play for a club? What if a dozen players decide that from a club?

Redcy

Shhh don't say that! You will get called all sorts of names if you have the opinion that football will not be null and void this season!

Don't you know, all the experts here are swearing that this season cannot go on under any circumstances.
Stop building fecking strawmen, noone has said it can't or definitely won't. you know why? well noone has a clue. It is you that consistently points to irrelevant points, takes articles out of context and uses shit sources to support your point of view.

TheLord

How can you relegate teams based on current standings? West Ham, Watford and Bournemouth all have 27 points each and only Bournemouth will be relegated because of goal difference with 9 games remaining. That is insane. There are similar problems with European spots.

I know voiding the season is a bad strategy, but it is the fairest of all bad strategies. This will invite the least legal hassles and will most likely be voted by the Premier League ( 14 votes out of 20 required).

TheLord

From a practical POV, this may go down to voting.
The bottom 8 teams (Newcastle, who are only 8 points above relegation zone, to Norwich who are bottom of the pile) will definitely vote to void the season, as they would not want to take any risk of the financial disaster with relegation. Among other teams, Arsenal (City’s disqualification standing), Tottenham and Chelsea will benefit from voiding the season as they are granted automatic Champions League spots. That is 11 votes already. Everton would not mind it because they will gain an unexpected Europa League spot (City’s disqualification standing). That is 12 teams.
You only need two more teams out of 8 remaining to void the season.

With deep pockets, City will probably not mind voiding the season either. It their ban is put on hold, they can restart the next season as defending champions. That gives them advertising benefits. That’s 13!
It will be one hell of a story if United are the 14th and final team to vote for voiding.

Last edited:

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Behind a paywall so I can't read it all, when he says "estate" what does he exactly mean ?

As in work for one of his other businesses or actually work at his house ? :lol:
Putting the downstairs people downstairs

prateik

This makes no sense at this stage, no way this will happen this early.
If they know there is no way things go back to normal-ish for another 2 months, there is no way this season can end..
At this point, even if players can start training by end of May, they´ll effectively need a pre season to get back to fitness.. 2 weeks .. at least. then we have to get through 10 rounds of games and the cup games... another 2 months.

break after the fixtures being crammed together... pre season, new season starts.

there is no way to fit it all in.. it will end up ruining 2 seasons..

and I dont think its getting back to normal by May anyway..

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
It will be one hell of a story if United are the 14th and final team to vote for voiding.
As much as I dislike that shower down the East Lancs Road, I will be disgusted if we vote to void the season. They were the best team in the division this season and they deserve the title.

Let voiding happen for the most obvious reason: it is simply not safe to conclude the season within a reasonable timeframe (say within the next 3-9 months) and not because of a fecking sporting rivalry. That’s goes for the money-mad whoppers who want football back ASAP, too. Let football return when it is absolutely safe to do so. There’s much more at stake here.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
As much as I dislike that shower down the East Lancs Road, I will be disgusted if we vote to void the season. They were the best team in the division this season and they deserve the title.

Let voiding happen for the most obvious reason: it is simply not safe to conclude the season within a reasonable timeframe (say within the next 3-9 months) and not because of a fecking sporting rivalry. That’s goes for the money-mad whoppers who want football back ASAP, too. Let football return when it is absolutely safe to do so. There’s much more at stake here.
I reckon Ed would smell a good PR opportunity for him to gain favor back with many United fans.

prateik

How do you decide on who gets relegated? Its very very lucrative to be in the premier league. try telling the bottom 3 teams to go down because Liverpool want a title.

The league should have rules in place on how the season ends if it cant be completed .. If there is nothing in place, there is no way of ending it fairly.. has to be voided.

We cant finish it.. lets stop and give out prizes.. or lets stop and re do it.. I'd imagine most disinterested parties would pick option 2 as the right thing to do.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
What I don't understand about Belgium is, if they keep their borders closed, they are one of the first countries that could actually have finished their season BCD. Instead of freezing the league positions. Their curve is well and truly flattened.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
From a practical POV, this may go down to voting.
The bottom 8 teams (Newcastle, who are only 8 points above relegation zone, to Norwich who are bottom of the pile) will definitely vote to void the season, as they would not want to take any risk of the disaster that is relegation). Among other teams, Arsenal (City’s disqualification standing), Tottenham and Chelsea will benefit from voiding the season as they are granted automatic Champions League spots. That is 11 votes already. Everton would not mind it because they will gain an unexpected Europa League spot (City’s disqualification standing). That’s 12 teams who wouldn’t mind voiding the season one bit.
You only need two more teams out of 8 remaining to vote for voiding the season.

With deep pockets, City will probably not mind voiding the season either. It their ban is put on hold, they can restart the next season as defending champions. That gives them advertising benefits. That’s 13!
If it goes down to a vote, then there will be a much larger block than the bottom 8 who will vote for void as this will set a precedent and more than 8 teams go into a league season thinking that they can get relegated. In my opinion, the voting would split as follows;

Void due to fear of relegation/setting a precedent:

Villa, Palace, Watford, Burnley, Norwich, West Ham, Brighton, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Brighton, Southampton (11) + Sheff Utd (?) if the only options are void or as they stand.

Teams that benefit from a void: Chelsea, Spurs, City (3)

Teams with no skin in the game: Wolves, Utd, Everton (by this I mean a void will likely give them the same outcome as a as it stands) (3)

Teams that lose out: Liverpool, Leicester (2) + Sheff Utd if they really value Ropey League football.

All in all in a finish the season now vs void scenario, there are only two clubs and plus possibly Sheff Utd who lose out. After that you only have floaters in Wolves, Everton and Utd. However, you have pretty much 14 set on a void.

That said, I think this is nonsense and the options as I have stated all along are either a) finish the season or b) void.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I reckon Ed would smell a good PR opportunity for him to gain favor back with many United fans.
If there is no Champions League to be qualifying for next season it makes no sense for us to risk our players challenging for fourth.

Fluctuation0161

Why must people talk extremes always. Season will finish May, season will be voided now. Can't we just put a pin in it until we actually have a clear answer by the bodies that be, as right now they too are just as clueless.
So void the discussion now about voiding the season now because it's too extreme?
:nono:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I was referring to us casting the deciding vote to deny Liverpool.
I realise that, I was suggesting the motivation might well be there if we have no benefit to finishing the season.

Redcy

What I don't understand about Belgium is, if they keep their borders closed, they are one of the first countries that could actually have finished their season BCD. Instead of freezing the league positions. Their curve is well and truly flattened.
I agree its a bit odd, especially given they only had a small number of games left too, theirs was really odd.

Redcy

Money, and lack of.
I don't think we would vote against it to stop Liverpool, its not the kind of thing we would do. Yes we would vote to void it because we felt that it had other financial/fair play issues.