Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Scriblerus

UncleBob

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Chelsea drew with Wycombe once in the cup didn't they? Think it went to a replay.

Infra-red

Question is if a game will be played before a vaccine is found
Games will likely be played before then, but the whole of next season will probably be behind closed doors and will also be severely disrupted by periods of lockdown during infection upsurges.

Ultimately, football is (rightly) a long way down the list of priorities at the moment.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Best to end it now, and spend the rest of the time preparing for next season what ever that will be.

Its obvious this seasons finished, bringing it back to play cup and league games is just not worth the risks.

Best to get a good plan of action for next season in now.

In fact, what better time to overhaul everything whilst we have an oppertunity.

Redcy

Dont tell Ronaldos Mum or Liverpool. Contracts have been sorted, you just extend them. Still think it depends on if we will see CL next season. If we will then its going to be a bun fight.

TheLord

9 Prem clubs according to The Mirror now in favour of voiding the season if it cannot be completed by 30 June - which is 100% going to be the case. Not even a minuscule possibility.
I wrote sometime back in this thread that there is no better option than terminating this season and promptly starting the next, whenever permissible, to lessen the enormous financial stress across all tiers of football.

I do not know if anyone in this thread has highlighted that we need to shorten the pre-season period + transfer period to compensate for the days lost and to avoid curtailing the next season. Hypothetically, if the current season were to continue when permissible, we need to first have a fitness window (~3 weeks), then resume the remainder of this season (several weeks), then take another break to prepare for the new season and complete player transfers (several weeks). Only then can the 2020/21 season commence. That is a lot of stop and go, and a lot of new season time wasted. The best way to minimise delays is by aborting this season now and by opening an extended transfer window fairly soon (like May 15). Once the government allows football resumption, the new season can immediately start as everything including end-season break, transfers and pre-season training would already be (almost) complete.

Clubs will need an extended transfer window as upcoming transfers will be very complicated because of the economic downturn, hard-bargains, travel restrictions and a lot of uncertainty surrounding European competitions. Of course, some FIFA rules regarding player transfers may need to be tweaked.

Member 101269

No thanks.

I think the point of the post you replied to was a PPV system for match going fans to watch their team if a significant portion of games in the near future are BCD.

So if you support a lower league side then a PPV service could stop some or hopefully any clubs going out of business. If next season or most of it has to be BCD, which is why i asked.
I have two row AA seats in the south stand. Some has already pointed out why efl clubs will struggle. I’ll go further, the problem isn’t revenue is their costs.

I'm not sure where this comes from. I didn't mention anything about a particular season at all, just a comment on the long term effects of BCD play on the finances of clubs that need gate receipts. It sounds like you are so anti the concept of BCD that you'd rather football stopped completely until crowds can return, regardless of how long that is. Personally I think that we're going to see a long, slow return to large crowds, interspersed with backwards steps where things have to be reduced again. Who knows, we might not even see a full return until towards the end of next season.

And in reference to the condomised experience. Some people still prefer that to no experience.
No you focused on revenue/ Playing bcd in a condomised environment to pay players wages.

I’m of the view, I’ve said in this thread, it’s unlikely to be back fully until 2021/22.

EwanI Ted

German League is due to kick off again behind closed doors in a few weeks. Teams are training already there. I think they’ll give it a shot here at least. I guess it all falls apart if players get the virus.
No point comparing us to Germany though. Their strategy has been (relatively speaking) a huge success, by far the best of the major European countries. Their death rate is half what ours was at the same point and they’re already raising their lockdown. We’re a long way behind them in controlling the infection.

Will be interesting to see how many of those 9 clubs refund season tickets for the 19/20 season.
why would any club refund a season ticket?

The games still took place, players played, fans sat in the stands.

Utd have/ had 4 home games left I think and they’ve said they will refund for those games that don’t happen (if it’s voided). That’s the sensible and logical step every club should be taking.

Aside from the likes of Liverpool, Spurs and Newcastle I presume - who put money first ahead of anything else.

I wrote sometime back in this thread that there is no better option than terminating this season and promptly starting the next, whenever permissible, to lessen the enormous financial stress across all tiers of football.

I do not know if anyone in this thread has highlighted that we need to shorten the pre-season period + transfer period to compensate for the days lost and to avoid curtailing the next season. Hypothetically, if the current season were to continue when permissible, we need to first have a fitness window (~3 weeks), then resume the remainder of this season (several weeks), then take another break to prepare for the new season and complete player transfers (several weeks). Only then can the 2020/21 season commence. That is a lot of stop and go, and a lot of new season time wasted. The best way to minimise delays is by aborting this season now and by opening an extended transfer window fairly soon (like May 15). Once the government allows football resumption, the new season can immediately start as everything including end-season break, transfers and pre-season training would already be (almost) complete.

Clubs will need an extended transfer window as upcoming transfers will be very complicated because of the economic downturn, hard-bargains, travel restrictions and a lot of uncertainty surrounding European competitions. Of course, some FIFA rules regarding player transfers may need to be tweaked.
I don’t agree with your last paragraph.

We don’t need to extend the transfer window, clubs need to adapt and overcome difficulties. I’m not having it that a window gets extended because an agent can’t agree an extra £20k per week for his client. Of Daniel bloody levy wants an extra 20p for one one of his players.

When deals need to be done, they are irrespective of location - you only need to look at the last week of the transfer window. Whatever deadline you set, it’s always at the end when action takes place.

UncleBob

Story suggests that there is talk of trying to agree without playing 38 matches.
Ofcourse that is suggested.

But unless the positions are done and dusted, or the positions are meaningless for everyone but Liverpool, then there's little reason for clubs to accept the league standings as final. If there's no Champions League or EL for the foreseeable future, so that us finishing top 4 is pretty much meaningless anyway, then that might not be an issue for United, but unless they scrap relegation and make further changes then i don't see it happening

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Are Megaman and Ronaldo’s Mother thread banned?

EwanI Ted

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/15/premier-league-clubs-ending-season-30-june
Story in the Guardian says a Friday meeting of PL clubs will press the idea of ending season on 30 June (to avoid legal nightmare of contracts expiring) even if not all games have been played. If they manage a few BCD in June, how on earth are they going to arrive at an agreed league table? Can't see it working.
Its fair enough to explore every other alternative before voiding the season, even fairly off the wall options like the mini tournament idea. Its also fair enough to not make a decision until as late as possible, just in case something happens with the outbreak that makes it possible to play games after all. But logistical and training requirements mean they need to make a decision by the middle of May in order for the games to start in June and get finished by the end of June, and it doesn't look like that will be possible, the way things are unfolding.

EwanI Ted

Ofcourse that is suggested.

But unless the positions are done and dusted, or the positions are meaningless for everyone but Liverpool, then there's little reason for clubs to accept the league standings as final. If there's no Champions League or EL for the foreseeable future, so that us finishing top 4 is pretty much meaningless anyway, then that might not be an issue for United, but unless they scrap relegation and make further changes then i don't see it happening
Trouble is we may not know what the situation is with the Champions League when the league table needs to be settled. The CL/EL could easily start as late as October in its normal format, or there could even be a knockout only version that starts after Christmas. UEFA would definitely consider those rather than scrapping the whole thing. So while the top 4 may turn out to be immaterial, we're unlikely to know that for sure as early as June.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Chelsea drew with Wycombe once in the cup didn't they? Think it went to a replay.
That was a two leg league cup Semi final( 6 years after getting to the FA Cup final).
1-1 at home and 0-4 away.

Will always curse our centre mid playing a suicidal ball across out area for Shevchenko to.cruise in and score at 0-0. We were well in the away game until then and Betsy gave Cole what is the biggest going over ive seen, including v Ronaldo.

Rooney24

The Scottish Championship, Scottish League 1 and League tow have been declared as finished. The Champions have been declared on the current Standings.

Partick Thistle who were Bottom but 2 Points from safety with a game in Hand will be relegated. Very harsh.

Interesting to see how that one Plays out.

Tarrou

The Scottish Championship, Scottish League 1 and League tow have been declared as finished. The Champions have been declared on the current Standings.

Partick Thistle who were Bottom but 2 Points from safety with a game in Hand will be relegated. Very harsh.

that's quite incredible

imagine if they go under because of this

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

Yes it will be interesting. Personally, I have come to the conclusion that this is what will happen in the PL as I see it as the media's preferred option. The only thing that may mean it does not work is the economics. I mean the cost of having to pay a few Scottish clubs off is a lot less then than to do it with three PL clubs (those that get relegated) and potentially four Championship clubs (clubs that could still get promoted but get cut out.)

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Shouldn't happen, and the PL has the same problem with Villa's current standing. Of all the potential outcomes, declaring the current standings as final is the worst outcome for me. Or at the very least, play postponed games so every team has played the same amount of games. But even then, Villa will know it's a "win and we stay up" scenario which is not fair to their rivals.

spiriticon

Story suggests that there is talk of trying to agree without playing 38 matches.
That's a silly idea. What's the difference in ending it after 29 games or 35 games? It's incomplete either way.

You either finish the season or cull it now.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
In these times of great uncertainty there's one absolute certainty. When the new season starts - whatever year that may be - you can guarantee that the football authorities will have watertight plans in place to make sure they have everything covered should something similar happen again.

arnie_ni

Lawsuit lawsuit lawsuit

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Becoming clear to me there will be a second bigger peak this winter.

If we do get any more football this year, it will be a short lived experience.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

I genuinely don’t think we will have any football back until August 2021 at the very earliest. The Euros might go ahead but not in the planned format. Best case scenario is that it’s held in one location with an Olympic village style setup where all games are played BCD within a certain area.

I think London might actually be a good candidate for that given the number of stadiums in a relatively small area that could host matches.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I genuinely don’t think we will have any football back until August 2021 at the very earliest. The Euros might go ahead but not in the planned format. Best case scenario is that it’s held in one location with an Olympic village style setup where all games are played BCD within a certain area.

I think London might actually be a good candidate for that given the number of stadiums in a relatively small area that could host matches.
Oh come on, that's ridiculous. Normal life will resume rather sooner than later. It won't be with fans in attendance but there'll most definitely be football played again in 2020.

EwanI Ted

Life will continue to be disrupted for sure and we'll no doubt have another wave of cases at some point. However we will hopefully have much better facilities in place that means the disruption needn't be as significant. In particular, its becoming obvious what a difference mass testing would mean to daily life.

Also, even if the PL starts again, I'd expect them to ditch the league cup and optionally the FA cup next season, giving them lots of slack in the footballing calendar. That would make it plausible to start the season, knowing that having to take a 4 week gap at some indeterminate point in the middle wouldn't mean the entire footballing calendar runs out of time.

Redcy

Life will continue to be disrupted for sure and we'll no doubt have another wave of cases at some point. However we will hopefully have much better facilities in place that means the disruption needn't be as significant. In particular, its becoming obvious what a difference mass testing would mean to daily life.

Also, even if the PL starts again, I'd expect them to ditch the league cup and optionally the FA cup next season, giving them lots of slack in the footballing calendar. That would make it plausible to start the season, knowing that having to take a 4 week gap at some indeterminate point in the middle wouldn't mean the entire footballing calendar runs out of time.
I don't see them ditching cups, not with the revenues it brings in.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.

I'm starting to think that too. This virus is now part of our lives, & it ain't going anywhere anytime soon. I think a lot depends on how much risk the population is prepared to accept. Do people spend their time hiding out in a broom-cupboard & let others take the risk in keeping the country going, or do we simply say lets be as sensible & safe as we can be under the circumstances, & try carry on best we can ? Sport, not just football, is very much a part of the lives of an awful lot of people. & there's an awful lot of people who depend on sport to earn a living. Eventually the oncoming world recession is going to hit us like a tidal wave. Unemployment, crime, poverty, a big rise in mental health issues will follow shortly after. So there's going to be some very difficult decisions that lie ahead for various governments all across the globe. Life, at some point, will need to carry on, otherwise Covid-19 will not be the only devastating effect on people's lives.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies

If that happens then I doubt there will be more than 30 clubs left operating in the country.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
There is also talk about a general consensus that the PL should be given to Liverpool seeing how far ahead they are in the league.
Saw this on Twitter.