Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Ludens the Red

The difference being that at work people will still get to social distance if done correctly, or there are other ways of reducing risk. Footballers will not have those options.
@Brightonian did a post a few pages back where he broke down basically every situation where social distancing breakage or contamination would happen in his book shop. It is impossible to effectively socially distance if you leave your house for work.

If you’re an employee who doesn’t want to take the risk of going back out and working you only need one ‘what if’ scenario and your personal safety is compromised.

Agreed.

Yes as a Man Utd fan I don't want Liverpool to win the title but to be frank, right now, with people dying, angry Liverpool fans are the last thing that should be considered when it comes to the football question.

Even if they were awarded the title it would be tainted anyway. Better to just feck it all off and go again in August (if, and a BIG if, the situation even allows it then).
I think it’s interesting that Liverpool were hailed at the darlings of the media, presumably because they are a sleeping giant, but having ever won the PL - but whatever happens the disdain the club had shown for the rest of the league, tone deaf commentary from every ex Liverpool player and manager and trying to furlough staff will forever show everyone what the club to really about. there are clubs that have shown a lot of dignity and leadership through this crisis, Liverpool are certainly not one of them.

Then if they are gifted a league title that they didn’t even win, when everyone else is focused on what really matters - you are right, it will always be tainted, and quite frankly no one outside their club will even count it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I literally posted "this decision has little bearing on what the PL will do" a few posts above yours :rolleyes:

Good luck trying to take any "presidents" by the way.
You're right, it won't have much bearing. Just as the Dutch decision not to award a title won't have much bearing either. Each league will decide based on their own circumstances.

Though it does underline the point that "it's unfair to name a champion who didn't actually win it" won't be a decisive argument in itself. Whatever the PL decide will be based on a pragmatic assessment of the practicalities of the situation. If it suits them to name champions (big if) then that's what they'll do, without being overly concerned about whether doing so is "fair". The same applies if it suits them not to have a champion.

You were complaing about Liverpool fans quoting a Chelsea fan questioning the morality of Utd fans wanting a void.

I'll just leave you to it.
If you leave all Man Utd fans to it, on their own forum that would be a bonus.

the lad I quoted is at least a closet pool supporter.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
You're right, it won't have much bearing. Just as the Dutch decision not to award a title won't have much bearing either. Each league will decide based on their own circumstances.

Though it does underline the point that "it's unfair to name a champion who didn't actually win it" won't be a decisive argument in itself. Whatever the PL decide will be based on a pragmatic assessment of the practicalities of the situation. If it suits them to name champions (big if) then that's what they'll do, without being overly concerned about whether doing so is "fair". The same applies if it suits them not to have a champion.
Agreed with all that, apart that I think it would be more unfair to not name PSG champions. It's the consequences of naming them champions (i.e. promotions, relegations, European spots) that make it difficult to take that decision though, especially with the Villa situation and stuff.

Who's Sheffield United's second choice keeper? Massive advantage for us for fourth.
It’s interesting - I’d expect some clubs to withdraw Henderson and call him back. I would t expect Utd to do so.

Added to that,if he’s a player we want to keep for the long term that would leave a very sour taste in his mouth.

arnie_ni

Who's Sheffield United's second choice keeper? Massive advantage for us for fourth.
Dont think we'll call him back. Think we would give it a months extension or whatever to make it work IF its legally possible.

We arent pricks like that

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
Sorry kid you're not kidding anyone with that story.. trying to hog the brownie with that... wow

What you're actually saying is this; you are happy that people will interact in a way that is completely divergent that every other activity the government has suggested. Since they are role models people will completely continue normal rules and ignore the close activity of their role models and the governments duality.

What is worse, you seam to be completely ignoring how rapidly this virus spreads, and all the evidence of a suppression strategy in support of a short-term "fix" . While ignoring issues of confidence should a new outbreak occur within those role models and to the broader populous.

At a personal level, i know its not easy, if you're finding news depressing, there are guide out there to help.
I am ok with it if medical professionals clear it, not ok if it goes against medical advice. Carragher said the same thing.

It is interesting how people love to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Put things into perspective, if we ease retail lockdown, you would have people walking and standing next to each other, 100s of people every day, whilst a closed doors football match is 22 men on a large football pitch. From a risk perspective they light years apart, especially if before a game everyone is tested negative meaning people who are not infected cannot infect each other.

arnie_ni

I am ok with it if medical professionals clear it, not ok if it goes against medical advice. Carragher said the same thing.

Put things into perspective, if we ease retail lockdown, you would have people walking and standing next to each other, 100s of people every day, whilst a closed doors football match is 22 men on a large football pitch. From a risk perspective they light years apart, especially if before a game everyone is tested negative meaning people who are not infected cannot infect each other.
Its more than just the players

Rooney24

At least they are seeing it all through with relegation. That consistency is a must if champions are crowned so im ok with that.

But how does that work here when villa have a game in hand and are currently in the relegation spots?
Thats the big headache for the PL. Not even whether Liverpool get the title or not.

Interestingly in France they have only announced that two Teams are relegated. Annually three teams get relegated with the 18th placed team from Ligue 1 going into a playoff format with the 3rd, 4th and 5th placed teams from Ligue 2.

Ligue 2 isnt so clear cut, There are 4 points between the top 5 with 10 games left so they still have a big decision to make there.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Some credible reports now that France is actually being decided on PPG (points per game).

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Thats the big headache for the PL. Not even whether Liverpool get the title or not.

Interestingly in France they have only announced that two Teams are relegated. Annually three teams get relegated with the 18th placed team from Ligue 1 going into a playoff format with the 3rd, 4th and 5th placed teams from Ligue 2.

Ligue 2 isnt so clear cut, There are 4 points between the top 5 with 10 games left so they still have a big decision to make there.
Well, not possible to have play-offs so scrap them altogether and only promote the first two teams. Seems like the ony logical (or possible) outcome, and why there's only teams relegated.

Fox_Chrys

Supports
LCFC
Its more than just the players
the manager and coaches will already be with their squad during training sessions, in that respect a game doesnt make any difference.

so really the more than the players is just the officials and cameraman.

if you are saying you dont want any games played no matter what, regardless of medical approval, safety measures, then you just coming across as someone who just doesnt want games played to prevent a certain club from getting a title.

I would imagine if the season got voided and come sept you would suddenly be ok with games been played to get the new season going.

arnie_ni

the manager and coaches will already be with their squad during training sessions, in that respect a game doesnt make any difference.

so really the more than the players is just the officials and cameraman.

if you are saying you dont want any games played no matter what, regardless of medical approval, safety measures, then you just coming across as someone who just doesnt want games played to prevent a certain club from getting a title.

I would imagine if the season got voided and come sept you would suddenly be ok with games been played to get the new season going.
Well you havent read any of my posts in here then and we'll leave it at that

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
It’s interesting - I’d expect some clubs to withdraw Henderson and call him back. I would t expect Utd to do so.

Added to that,if he’s a player we want to keep for the long term that would leave a very sour taste in his mouth.
@arnie_ni I agree that we probably wouldn't want to, but if our plans were to get rid of Romero and Grant this summer to rotate De Gea and Henderson then we can't loan Henderson to Sheffield United for another year because it wouldn't be fair - individual clubs shouldn't be expected to scupper their transfer plans in order to apply fairness when the league isn't doing so.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Small time. Beat them at OT when he's ineligible and that's Sheffield done in the battle for 4th. Besides they've still got Chelsea to play.

Pagh Wraith

Whether that actually happens or not, just shows how outlandish the predictions of no football for the next 12 months were. The big 4 are all preparing for restarting as soon as possible and finishing the season.

cyberman

Small time. Beat them at OT when he's ineligible and that's Sheffield done in the battle for 4th. Besides they've still got Chelsea to play.
Not really smalltime if hes our player. He just happens to play for Sheff United

arnie_ni

@arnie_ni I agree that we probably wouldn't want to, but if our plans were to get rid of Romero and Grant this summer to rotate De Gea and Henderson then we can't loan Henderson to Sheffield United for another year because it wouldn't be fair - individual clubs shouldn't be expected to scupper their transfer plans in order to apply fairness when the league isn't doing so.
It wouldnt be for another year. It would be until this season is finished, either by playing the remaining games or the pl cancel the league in some format.

He would then revert back to us.

Again, if we legally can, i think we will let them have henderson to finish the season.

Terminator

Leicester would've been relegated in 14/15 if this happened then. Just saying!

It's a 100m race, you dont decide the rankings on the 70m line. Just seems wrong to me. Either finish the games in a few months time or null the season.

Alabaster Codify7

Whether that actually happens or not, just shows how outlandish the predictions of no football for the next 12 months were. The big 4 are all preparing for restarting as soon as possible and finishing the season.

The same goes for many other things, like "we're going to be in lockdown for at least the rest of 2020".

It's scary how much scare-mongering is knocking around during what is already a pretty scary time to be alive. So many people just gravitate towards the worst case scenario automatically, its really worrying to be honest.

On topic, that's probably a reasonable time-line. Early June, finish the season BCD then regroup and see how the land is lying for the summer window and 2020/21 season start. Bit of good news, that, if true. Not even because it's football, because conversations are happening behind closed doors to move the country forward.

Member 101269

If the PL want it back, they shouldn't be using media to test the public mood.

You mention a risk perspective; that perspective is limited by your own view that 22 men live in a vacuum, diagnosis is instantaneous and there is no association with public behaviour.

You're right, from a risk perspective; what 22 people do, the behavioural influence they have, their broader direct and indirect impact they have, the reliability of tests and diversion of NHS resources for a game is light years apart from human necessities, from a health perspective and a moral perspective.

Its quite interesting how some fans are so desparate for a game their arguments become vacuous.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The same goes for many other things, like "we're going to be in lockdown for at least the rest of 2020".

It's scary how much scare-mongering is knocking around during what is already a pretty scary time to be alive. So many people just gravitate towards the worst case scenario automatically, its really worrying to be honest.

On topic, that's probably a reasonable time-line. Early June, finish the season BCD then regroup and see how the land is lying for the summer window and 2020/21 season start. Bit of good news, that, if true. Not even because it's football, because conversations are happening behind closed doors to move the country forward.
People have been duped into believing that as much as opening your door means you're playing 50/50 Russian roulette.

Alabaster Codify7

People have been duped into believing that as much as opening your door means you're playing 50/50 Russian roulette.

And it's been done in a terrifyingly quick and simple way, too. There'll be a few bad 'uns out there in world politics watching this situation and taking serious notes, we should all hope that none of these bad 'uns ever snake their way into power.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
And it's been done in a terrifyingly quick and simple way, too. There'll be a few bad 'uns out there in world politics watching this situation and taking serious notes, we should all hope that none of these bad 'uns ever snake their way into power.
I can already picture the "yes Kim, three bags full Kim" *shudder*

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Dont think we'll call him back. Think we would give it a months extension or whatever to make it work IF its legally possible.

We arent pricks like that
Ferguson did bring back our on-loan players from Preston North End when his son was sacked there, so we can be.

I don't think we would do that with Henderson though.

Ludens the Red

I don’t get this easy target excuse. Football has been a self absorbed greed machine for 20+ years.

Unfortunately its because there are so many parties involved - and the vast majority are purely looking out for their own interests and have no concept of the bigger picture.

Liverpool and spurs tone deaf behaviour over furloughing staff is one of many examples that have a negative effect on the whole game.

idiots like Kean and Walker have a negative effect on the game - it promulgated the notion that we are not all in this together. Normal people are, but if you are a footballer or Jose then you can do whatever you like.
You could apply this to those working in so many ‘self absorbed greed machine’ businesses. Bankers, politicians, actors, musicians, etc. @Dancfc is correct. Football throughout this whole corona virus has become the ‘target’.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Leicester would've been relegated in 14/15 if this happened then. Just saying!

It's a 100m race, you dont decide the rankings on the 70m line.
Two very good points, particularly the one about finalising standings based on everyone’s efforts over the first 76m (let’s be precise here to appease the Scousers ;)). “You ran the first 76m at 10.09m/s, therefore, you are going to run the final 24m also at 10.09m/s.”

It’s absolute baloney and besmirches the whole competition.