Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
One more piece that will be intresting.

”Monday's Premier League meeting will feature a vote on whether player contracts are to be extended until the end of the rescheduled season.”

You can’t extend contract how you want. Players wanting to leave clubs could sue PL and Clubs. It seems to me that PL thinks they have to much power.
As far as I know, the law overrules the PL wish list.

Clubs could agree to it but you'd still need new contracts (the legally binding document).

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Ah, another resident of Tegridy Farms. I think the Watford chairman should exercise maximum Tegridy by removing Watford from the PL and giving that space to another team. Leeds will happily accept it.

He can restart with Tegridy from the lowest division.
Would you hand on heart have the same view if you were in the relegation zone?

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
There's not just two possibilities.

It's not "vote our way or you're relegated Villa".
What are the other possibilities then?

Finish with the current table or finish behind closed doors are the only options I can see being discussed?

As I mentioned before the neutral venues thing works both ways. Villa were due to go to Anfield but will now play Liverpool on a neutral ground when Liverpool will probably have nothing to play for.

90 + 5min

Finish with the current table or finish behind closed doors are the only options I can see being discussed?

As I mentioned before the neutral venues thing works both ways. Villa were due to go to Anfield but will now play Liverpool on a neutral ground when Liverpool will probably have nothing to play for.
It is clear that you want it to keep going so Liverpool can win the league. Don't worry, you are going to win it or been given it. And that is okey for me. Either way, this is not about your team. There are lots of teams in Premier League and divisions under. To keep going just so season can finish in this time is just greedy. Cancel this season, give Liveprool title. Start planing next season and what to do with standings for this season in every league.

As far as I know, the law overrules the PL wish list.

Clubs could agree to it but you'd still need new contracts (the legally binding document).
That's one more thing to fix before we even start. The pile of problems are just getting bigger and bigger and TheFA still somehow don't accept that. There must be red line when all this must end. I think we passed it long time ago.

MysticRed

Supports
Liverpool
People need to get a grip. It’s games at neutral stadiums and max 5 subs. Whilst I do not like either, particular the latter one (which I do not think will matter anyway) it not like playing with your opposite foot or 7 a side. It’s the same for everyone so people either need to accept the unprecedented situation we are in or just suspend or cancel the season until 2021.

everyone going to have a gripe whatever happens for now and it’s all about risk management and reasonableness here.

Anyway my two cents.

arnie_ni

So that's three of the relegation battlers who have opposed playing the remaining matches in neutral venues:

You'd have to imagine that at least a couple more from the bottom of the table are going to oppose; and they'll probably be joined by a handful in midtable or at the top.

Then we're done. No more Premier League 2019/20.

I hope the league gets abandoned. I'm not being biased in any way when I say that.

20-18
West ham pulled the plug on it months ago from their POV as well

arnie_ni

What Holland have done. Just stop the league dead, no promotion or relegation.

Thats looking like the only solution i think.

They wont relegate teams if the league isnt completed and they can only complete the league if everyone agrees

MysticRed

Supports
Liverpool

They wont relegate teams if the league isnt completed and they can only complete the league if everyone agrees
I rather suspend it. Who says we can start new season in August?

arnie_ni

People need to get a grip. It’s games at neutral stadiums and max 5 subs. Whilst I do not like either, particular the latter one (which I do not think will matter anyway) it not like playing with your opposite foot or 7 a side. It’s the same for everyone so people either need to accept the unprecedented situation we are in or just suspend or cancel the season until 2021.

everyone going to have a gripe whatever happens for now and it’s all about risk management and reasonableness here.

Anyway my two cents.
I think its liverpool fans who need to accept the unprecedented situation.

If they league cant continue and you dont get your title its awful bad luck, because you deserve it, but football isnt the driving force here.

arnie_ni

No one has said that. Next season could be hit massively as well.

They could play at neutral venues and play each team once if its a shortened season from say January. At least everyone will be on a level playing field.

If contacts weren't an issue or UEFAs deadline, the best solution would be to just put a pin in it and pick it up again in nov or jan or next april or whenever, but unfortunately we can't

hp88

Nah, not an option if it makes the scousers cry.

Rooney24

Anyway my two cents.
except playing at neutral stadiums is not the same for everyone when you have already travelled to the oppositions ground earlier this season and now have to play them at a neutral venue. That’s pretty much the main sticking point with it.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
This was my preferred option, but it won't happen now. The Champions League is due to resume in August also.

It seems like a deadline of July the 31st has been set to finish this season.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I don't think they can just award it to Liverpool as easily as the French league did to PSG. The rules are different from what I remember reading.

If they bent the rules, there's even less integrity there, so I'd be surprised if it happened.
I'd have agreed with you a few weeks back, but with statements coming out about punishing clubs who dont vote the right way and having a shorter match etc just screams of the FA trying to do anything to get things sorted, and if they cant they'll finish it on PPG.

I hope they don't but I can see it heading that way - I've always wanted to use the word sisyphean, and it describes this scenario perfectly.

MysticRed

Supports
Liverpool
except playing at neutral stadiums is not the same for everyone when you have already travelled to the oppositions ground earlier this season and now have to play them at a neutral venue. That’s pretty much the main sticking point with it.
This is the same for everyone though? Anyway, I never said I was a fan of neutral stadium (I would much rather have the games home/away as intended behind closedoors), just that if this is the only acceptable option to continue the season then everyone needs to accept the facts that the alternative could mean relegation for some teams and accepting the positions based on 28/29 games played.

I would be saying this regardless what team sits on top without any rose tinted glasses.

Clearly everyone think the Holland model is the perfect model here, but I accept I am on a Man Utd forum here.

speak tomorrow my daily limit has been reached.

stay safe all

stevoc

Who says they can't?

No one knows, what we now do know is that this season won't be dragged on for months and months. It will finish in June/July or it will be ''curtailed'' and then the PL clubs will vote on what form that will take.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
So that's three of the relegation battlers who have opposed playing the remaining matches in neutral venues:

You'd have to imagine that at least a couple more from the bottom of the table are going to oppose; and they'll probably be joined by a handful in midtable or at the top.

I hope the league gets abandoned. I'm not being biased in any way when I say that.

20-18
I think everyone Brighton and below are going to oppose. City dont have anything to gain by playing BCD and with their players having raised concerns, I wouldn't be shocked. Ditto with Chelsea.

Hell, I wouldn't be shocked if Wolves raise concerns as well, as they are equally likely to fall out of EL places as they are to qualify for CL

Santoryo

ripping the reward
With some posts I have the impressions that on the football field players would be as endangered as soldiers are in a war zone...

The everyday risk of most of the people that go to work, use public transport even wearing masks and keeping distancing rules exceed that of a group of players who (and with that the people of the club and their closest contacts) get tested very regular.
Nah, the way some posts go, soldiers in a war zone are safer and have better survival chances than these players that will be tested regularly. Didn't you know they will be getting sent to their definite death out there.

People are returning back to work with only face masks and new social distancing rules and guidelines as their mean to reduce risks of infections. Hmm doesn't seem that bad. But let me mention something outrageous. Football players will be returning to playing football while being regularly tested, with every possible precautions that could be taken, to avoid risk of infection, as well as every medical means available at their disposition. Naturally the logical reaction is to think they're being sent to their certain death and those leading figures and decision makers in football are Hitlers reincarnated. The Horror.

Last edited:

Doracle

Am I understanding correctly that Villa are prepared to be relegated rather than play at neutral venues? Surely the only fair outcome if things can’t restart is to have the tables as they are - with average points for anyone who has played a game less?

90 + 5min

Nah, the way some posts go, soldiers on a war zone are safer and have better survival chances than these players that will be tested regularly. Didn't you know they will be getting sent to their definite death out there.

People are returning back to work with only face masks and new social distancing rules and guidelines as their mean to reduce risks of infections. Hmm doesn't seem that bad. But let me mention something outrageous. Football players will be returning to playing football while being regularly tested, with every possible precautions that could be taken, to avoid risk of infection, as well as every medical means available at their disposition. Naturally the logical reaction is to think they're being sent to their certain death and those leading figures and decision makers in football are Hitlers reincarnated. The Horror.
I wonder how that would work in a contact sport? Nobody has still answered that unless you mean players are more important then regular people and should be treated different.

There are gigantic problems without talking about health as a reason. We should stop this circus.

arnie_ni

Am I understanding correctly that Villa are prepared to be relegated rather than play at neutral venues? Surely the only fair outcome if things can’t restart is to have the tables as they are - with average points for anyone who has played a game less?
I doubt they'll relagate at all if the 38 games arent played out

Member 101269

Any players that don't want to play can be furloghed, they shouldn't be foreced to play against their wishes, but they should have to accept a heavily reduced wage. They are multi millionaires, so I'm sure they will survive.

If Aston Villa refuse to play in a neutral venue then they will be relegated anyway, so it would be pretty stupid of them to do that!
A Scouse narrative if ever there was one; we (Liverpool) get the title, because none will object, you down there will get dumped.

As has been said many times, the rules defines a season and what happens. If it doesn't get finished/curtailed, there are no measures in the rules for relegation, promotion or awarding a title.

Thats why they will need to get those in place going forward and for this season I expect they will end up voting on various options.
Going forward; retrospectively applied is conflating issues and open to undue pressures. You can't weaponise the future to the past

posts done for the day

Last edited by a moderator:

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
A Scouse narrative if ever there was one; we (Liverpool) get the title, because none will object, you down there will get dumped.

As has been said many times, the rules defines a season and what happens. If it doesn't get finished/curtailed, there are no measures in the rules for relegation, promotion or awarding a title.
Thats why they will need to get those in place going forward and for this season I expect they will end up voting on various options.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Any players that don't want to play can be furloghed, they shouldn't be foreced to play against their wishes, but they should have to accept a heavily reduced wage. They are multi millionaires, so I'm sure they will survive.

If Aston Villa refuse to play in a neutral venue then they will be relegated anyway, so it would be pretty stupid of them to do that!
but football needs to continue because people's lives and economies depends on it (and so does Liverpool's title)

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I think its liverpool fans who need to accept the unprecedented situation.

If they league cant continue and you dont get your title its awful bad luck, because you deserve it, but football isnt the driving force here.
Was actually quite ok and supportive of them given the title whatever happens this season.

But a few pages lately I changed my mind, the amount of hypocrisy of wanting to continue the league because they're 2-3 games from winning it in the name of "economies and if its safe bullshit" has got me turned.

Feck em, void the season altogether.

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
I think everyone Brighton and below are going to oppose. City dont have anything to gain by playing BCD and with their players having raised concerns, I wouldn't be shocked. Ditto with Chelsea.

Hell, I wouldn't be shocked if Wolves raise concerns as well, as they are equally likely to fall out of EL places as they are to qualify for CL
We've got a fairly decent run in with only Chelsea above us still to play - but the players may not want to risk playing I can't see how it can be done safely

shaky

I do have sympathy for the clubs who are being "bullied" into a decision. On the other hand, the clubs who are objecting to playing at neutral venues aren't doing it for any reason other than their own interests. Home advantage would count for very little if games are being played without supporters anyway. If the PL decided to give upon the neutral venue idea, these same clubs would then just object to playing behind closed doors at all, using the same argument of losing out on proper home advantage. They will obviously disagree with any idea if they think doing so could help them avoid an unfavourable league position. The standoff cannot continue for months, so if clubs need to be pressured into a decision, then so be it. Nothing is going to be 100% equally fair on everyone, so some teams are just going to have to deal with it. My Scottish team, Falkirk, were only 1 point off the lead with a +20 goal difference with 8 games to go, but they have awarded the League title to Raith. Is that fair? No. Nothing was going to be completely fair in this unprecedented situation though. Some teams are going to have to take the hit worse than others. Whether that's Villa, Liverpool or whoever. A definitive decision needs to be made so the game can move forward and, tough luck to whoever feels hard done by.

laughtersassassin

They might be but you don't no that for a fact. We know if the season gets played on it will be as normal.

If no more games are played out you have no idea if Aston Villa will be relegated for a number of reasons.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Do all clubs have to be in agreeance before anything can be decided?
Any decisions they vote on need at least 14 clubs in favour to be carried. The bottom 6 only need one more club to back them in voting against neutral venues and it won't go thru.

laughtersassassin

Any decisions they vote on need at least 14 clubs in favour to be carried. The bottom 6 only need one more club to back them in voting against neutral venues and it won't go thru.
Also it's not like there are only two options you'll have atleast 3 or 4 different scenarios being thrown about by teams in different positions.

Sparky Rhiwabon

20-18
They’re just doing it to put pressure on the League to scrap relegation and go with the Liverpool Title Parade version.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Here's hoping Ole and Ed are aware of this then!

In all seriousness, if that's the case, there needs to be a clear outline of what happens if clubs can't agree on a way of returning to play. Otherwise nothing will be agreed upon.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We've got a fairly decent run in with only Chelsea above us still to play - but the players may not want to risk playing I can't see how it can be done safely
Ofcourse, but no one know how results will pan out. Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but you guys are slow starters

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Also it's not like there are only two options you'll have atleast 3 or 4 different scenarios being thrown about by teams in different positions.
Yes you would like to think that the PL will see a likely defeat for neutral venues and would have the next options (if there are any) lined up ready for more voting. But to be honest I think it may get taken out of their hands tomorrow. If the govt don't ease restrictions then it will be too late to meet UEFA's deadline.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Here's hoping Ole and Ed are aware of this then!

In all seriousness, if that's the case, there needs to be a clear outline of what happens if clubs can't agree on a way of returning to play. Otherwise nothing will be agreed upon.
If they can't agree then I imagine the TV money will be lost or at least there will need to be a negotiation but perhaps more importantly what will happen with relegation? The PL have agreements with the EFL and FA which need to be honoured (3 up 3 down).

Ludens the Red

Ah, another resident of Tegridy Farms. I think the Watford chairman should exercise maximum Tegridy by removing Watford from the PL and giving that space to another team. Leeds will happily accept it.

He can restart with Tegridy from the lowest division.
:lol: Don’t think people got the reference judging by the serious responses.