Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Whole europe must be overreacting as well
No because they're working out how they can reboot the economy while dealing with the virus, in one of said countries that includes the return of football this coming weekend.

You seem to be implying that's it's impossible to do both and you have to pick, hence, massive overreaction.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
No because they're working out how they can reboot the economy while dealing with the virus, in one of said countries that includes the return of football this coming weekend.

You seem to be implying that's it's impossible to do both and you have to pick, hence, massive overreaction.
So it's possible? Why in the world european football didnt think of that. Must be overreaction.

Thiagoal

I personally can’t believe the fuss being made about the poor footballers having to go and kick a ball around with each other on the pitch!

it may have passed your attention but Primary schools are opening their doors in just over two weeks! My wife will be exposed to over 180 little people running around spreading germs all day. If the government think that’s ok, then a few adults (that will be tested regularly) can get back to kicking footballs too

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
WHO have just said that the virus may not completely go away, similar to HIV, and controlling the virus even after a vaccine would require massive effort.

I guess that's football done and dusted with.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I personally can’t believe the fuss being made about the poor footballers having to go and kick a ball around with each other on the pitch!

it may have passed your attention but Primary schools are opening their doors in just over two weeks! My wife will be exposed to over 180 little people running around spreading germs all day. If the government think that’s ok, then a few adults (that will be tested regularly) can get back to kicking footballs too
I think the argument isn’t really about the ‘poor footballers’, but about spreading the virus further, amongst the players, their family, and subsequently everyone else.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
WHO have just said that the virus may not completely go away, similar to HIV, and controlling the virus even after a vaccine would require massive effort.

Fecking hell, chill out mate! HIV and regular influenza are here to stay and we've been playing without problems the last decades, haven't we?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

She shouldn't be with the virus far from under control

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

Yes, it's most probably going to be the new influenza, so impossible to get rid of it long term. Influenza kills hundreds of thousands every year and we live with it. Of course we're used to it and everyone has some immunity to it from continual exposure over a long period of time.

Sars cov 2 could be similar, everyone will get used to it, eventually.

Doesn't need to stop football, though, we can live with it and we'll adapt.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
I think most of us have seen the pictures of thousands upon thousands of people cramming themselves onto tubes, trains, & buses this week in London. Therefore one would assume, taking into account how social distancing is supposed to work, we'll see a massive spike in the number of new cases over the coming weeks in & around the capital . Could be a good indicator as to whether or not lockdowns & social distancing make any significant impact on the figures.

romufc

I agree that the problem is now. That is why we should stop and cancel leagues so clubs can plan. Going forward with no end is tearing up clubs even more.

Players will come and go. It is a risk but at the same time, if every club have problems than saleries would go down wherever player would go.
I agree, cancel the league and the clubs know they have x amount and they can start working on their finances and plan for the future. At the moment it is all up in the air.

I agree players will come and go, but losing players of high value for a low fee would really dent some clubs.

I am sure alot of clubs are going to regret the business they didnt do last summer or in Jan. E.g. Manutd bid £30m for Josh King was a steal, now do you think anyone would even bid £10m for him?

Richarlison for Everton rumoured £90m

Thiagoal

She shouldn't be with the virus far from under control
So you’re more of an expert than the scientific experts advising the government? Whether you like it or not, the world is starting to get back to normality - schools opening, healthcare opening up to other patients rather than just COVID, ‘non ‘essential’ businesses are opening up and so should football

Redcy

here is a tip for you, the government is basically lying. They know doing this will cause problems. They also know however they need kids back in school to get people back to work. They need people in work for the economy. This is not that the government thinks it’s fine trust me

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Yes, it's most probably going to be the new influenza, so impossible to get rid of it long term. Influenza kills hundreds of thousands every year and we live with it. Of course we're used to it and everyone has some immunity to it from continual exposure over a long period of time.

His location leads me to believe he was being sarcastic.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Talk about two different sides!

Thiagoal

here is a tip for you, the government is basically lying. They know doing this will cause problems. They also know however they need kids back in school to get people back to work. They need people in work for the economy. This is not that the government thinks it’s fine trust me
According to Redcy on red cafe! I think I’ll go with the medical experts thanks :)

Rooney24

I think Norwich have a point when you read the actual article

@Sandikan @Rooney24
I see their point but I just dont think its going to fly to be honest.

When you play 38 games home and away (not this neutral Ground rubbish) and you finish bottom you can have no complaints. You are relegated and thats the way it should be.

The PL and EFL are two different entities so how each of them decide to handle things is exclusively up to them regardless of the knock on effect to the other.

But its just another Thing that adds to an already overly complicated Situation and is why null and void is the best solution.

Infra-red

So you’re more of an expert than the scientific experts advising the government? Whether you like it or not, the world is starting to get back to normality - schools opening, healthcare opening up to other patients rather than just COVID, ‘non ‘essential’ businesses are opening up and so should football
This is correct, but it's worth pointing out that although these sectors are beginning to emerge from lockdown, it will be a very long time before they are operating in a 'normal' way - social distancing is likely here to stay for the foreseeable future.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yes if they are giving that advice.

Of course the government are actually cherry picking the bits of scientific advice they like and/or distorting the scientific advice.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Fecking hell, chill out mate! HIV and regular influenza are here to stay and we've been playing without problems the last decades, haven't we?
I think he's being ironic and taking the mick out of the one's who don't need any excuse to declare football the root of all evil that shouldn't restart until there's no cases .

TheReligion

Abusive

The WHO have been useless throughout so far. I'm not going to hang my hat on that.

Redcy

According to Redcy on red cafe! I think I’ll go with the medical experts thanks :)
I’d like to see the scientific papers that say 180 kids mixing in a school will not cause spreading of the virus. I’m not even saying we shouldn’t do it. It was you saying that they think it’s perfectly safe and won’t cause issues. All I am saying is that the government are well aware that this will spread the virus, as per scientific advice,

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Jesus Christ calm down

Guys I was being sarcastic. I was more poking at people here who are adamant you can't play football until the virus goes away and any attempt to find ways to play football with it is ridiculous are highly risky.

I've been an advocate of what the Bundesliga is doing in terms trying to find ways to start football with the virus still amongst the population, though at a small number (so the same doesn't apply for England) . So this only adds weight to the argument that you can not simply scrap football until the virus goes away because it can't.

Of course we can't keep these measures permanently but until a vaccine is found, we will have to try and continue football in some way because the risk isn't going to go away even after the vaccine is found.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Guys I was being sarcastic. I was more poking at people here who are adamant you can't play football until the virus goes away and any attempt to find ways to play football with it is ridiculous are highly risky.

I've been an advocate of what the Bundesliga is doing in terms trying to find ways to start football with the virus still amongst the population, though at a small number (so the same doesn't apply for England) . So this only adds weight to the argument that you can not simply scrap football until the virus goes away because it can't.

Of course we can't keep these measures permanently but until a vaccine is found, we will have to try and continue football in some way because the risk isn't going to go away even after the vaccine is found.
Ah right, apologies - it was quite early in the morning :wenger:

Already thought that was a quite irrational view for a German :lol:

Flexdegea

The longer this goes on the less excited I am for finishing the season.

Feels like we have already done a summer leading into new season.

Also still none the wiser as how it going to work, and seriously what benefits it will have. Keep going back to united last European match, everything been sucked out of the game.

Seems more sensible to try and start the new season when everything In plan with regarded to what procedures the clubs have to take, and any action for plan B of their is a another spike in convid.

All in all it's been a shambles

Red00012

I think you should just build a bunker for yourself and live there for a few years.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea

German sense of humour eh...

Don't get it myself :lol:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Whole europe must be overreacting as well
Norway is resuming football in June, Bundesliga is resuming, La Liga is resuming, and more.

It is actually possible to resume professional sports in safe environments. I say that because the medical professionals say it, and they quite frankly know more about this outbreak than anyone on this forum.

And especially in England, there is a very solid argument that football is good for the public mental health of thousands of football supporters who are confined to their homes. At least this gives people something to be happy and optimistic about.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

:nervous: Humble apologies

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
no medical expert is saying opening a school with 180 pupils running around as you put it is OK. The government are advised and then make a judgement, if you believe Boris' line about following the science then fair enough, but it's much more complicated than that.

@Redcy might have gone a bit over the top when he said they were lying, but he's spot on about the thought process. Schools have to reopen to get people back to work. The judgement is which will do more harm to society a continued lockdown and economic devastation or easing lockdown in the hope of helping people financially but putting them at risk from a public health perspective.

If you really want to go with the medical experts, the WHO have published 6 goals for countries to achieve before they ease lockdowns (bold bits are me), they are...

1. Disease transmission is under control - Not achieved in the UK
Health systems are able to "detect, test, isolate and treat every case and trace every contact" - Not achieved in the UK
Hot spot risks are minimized in vulnerable places, such as nursing homes - Not achieved in the UK
Schools, workplaces and other essential places have established preventive measures - presuming your 180 kids will be socially distanced
The risk of importing new cases "can be managed" - This is why they've introduced the 14 day quarantine rule for people arriving in UK
6. Communities are fully educated, engaged and empowered to live under a new normal - debatable if this has been achieved, but we'll stay alert

So if you really want to go with the medical experts, you should be agreeing with everyone who says it is too early. :)

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
no medical expert is saying opening a school with 180 pupils running around as you put it is OK. The government are advised and then make a judgement, if you believe Boris' line about following the science then fair enough, but it's much more complicated than that.

@Redcy might have gone a bit over the top when he said they were lying, but he's spot on about the thought process. Schools have to reopen to get people back to work. The judgement is which will do more harm to society a continued lockdown and economic devastation or easing lockdown in the hope of helping people financially but putting them at risk from a public health perspective.

If you really want to go with the medical experts, the WHO have published 6 goals for countries to achieve before they ease lockdowns (bold bits are me), they are...

Health systems are able to "detect, test, isolate and treat every case and trace every contact" - Not achieved in the UK
Hot spot risks are minimized in vulnerable places, such as nursing homes - Not achieved in the UK
Schools, workplaces and other essential places have established preventive measures - presuming your 180 kids will be socially distanced
The risk of importing new cases "can be managed" - This is why they've introduced the 14 day quarantine rule for people arriving in UK
6. Communities are fully educated, engaged and empowered to live under a new normal - debatable if this has been achieved, but we'll stay alert

So if you really want to go with the medical experts, you should be agreeing with everyone who says it is too early. :)
Thiagoal is a healthcare professional

fps

Primary schools are not definitely opening their doors in just over two weeks. They were given a "not before" date and I honestly don't see anything except the tiniest numbers going back.

A bad and potentially very dangerous decision in one sector does not make it OK to double down and make a bad and potentially dangerous situation in another sector. That is not a sensible logic.

romufc

Communities are fully educated, engaged and empowered to live under a new normal - debatable if this has been achieved, but we'll stay alert

I find it weird how our lockdown is eased at the same time as other countries, whereas they were in lockdown 2/3 weeks before our country ever was.

Also, the lockdown was a very basic one compared to every other country which is why we have not seen numbers come down to the levels as Italy, Spain and Germany.

We still have 3000 confirmed positive per day and they are talking about football. In Germany and Italy football returns because their cases are under 1000.

arnie_ni

There's another thread for that. This one is to discuss football, the reason we all came to this board initially.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I find it weird how our lockdown is eased at the same time as other countries, whereas they were in lockdown 2/3 weeks before our country ever was.

Also, the lockdown was a very basic one compared to every other country which is why we have not seen numbers come down to the levels as Italy, Spain and Germany.

We still have 3000 confirmed positive per day and they are talking about football. In Germany and Italy football returns because their cases are under 1000.
Germany are near completely reopen and Spain have reopened hairdressers alongside outside bars and i think even some restaurant's, something we're not doing for another month and a half minimum.

Very misleading to say we're relaxing things same way they are.

arnie_ni

I think he's being ironic and taking the mick out of the one's who don't need any excuse to declare football the root of all evil that shouldn't restart until there's no cases .
Ah there you go with us hating football again.

Thought you werent going to post in this thread after the last time you got called out on spouting that crap?

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Thought you werent going to post in this thread after the last time you got called out on spouting that crap?
The "football is the last thing on my mind right now" while vigorously posting in this thread are equally as bad.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

I said i'd stop posting until a football return was announced, incase you haven't noticed (or want to pretend otherwise) the Bundi is back in just over 48 hours.

Last edited:

romufc

Germany are near completely reopen and Spain have reopened hairdressers alongside outside bars and i think even some restaurant's, something we're not doing for another month and a half minimum.

Very misleading to say we're relaxing things same way they are.
Yes, I agree but they also had a more vigorous lock-down. It is always expected that cases will be on the rise as more people are out and about, the aim is to slowly open businesses that will boost the economy.