Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

billdrama

I don't think 6 infections out of 748 is too surprising or going to significantly affect the plans. There were positive tests in Germany and there are always going to be positive tests in England.

The big question will be if the testing is sufficient to stop a transmission in and across different teams.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Ratio is pretty small to be fair. 6 players from 3 clubs only. Won't stop the restarting plan if they want to do it.
There's a chance that if they contract trace properly that it should be 3 clubs from 20 which cannot start preseason. I wonder how people will feel if Liverpool are included in that 3 or if the 3 players are Van Dijk, Salah and Mane will they be happy enough to start the season without them if they have any difficulties?

RedDevil@84

Deeney has a young kid with breathing issues, dont blame him whatsoever.
Ridiculous that anyone is targeting Deeney or for that matter any player who does not want to train when things are so unclear. The whole project restart is just a toss of the coin, and it could go either ways. Understandable that all players don't share the same confidence as others.

el3mel

There's a chance that if they contract trace properly that it should be 3 clubs from 20 which cannot start preseason. I wonder how people will feel if Liverpool are included in that 3 or if the 3 players are Van Dijk, Salah and Mane will they be happy enough to start the season without them if they have any difficulties?
I will assume that the rest of the players and stuff in these 3 clubs were tested negative so it's these 6 players that won't play and won't start preseason. As for the assumption, of course Liverpool fans will complain then anyway, they will change their opinion based on the consequence but based on numbers and numbers, the ratio is pretty small to affect what FA are planning regarding the small.

romufc

TBH, this could have been ten times worse, and I think the plan would have remained the same.
Does anyone actually think the PL care how many people test positive? They probably have a trade of between the £ and infection rate.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ridiculous that anyone is targeting Deeney or for that matter any player who does not want to train when things are so unclear. The whole project restart is just a toss of the coin, and it could go either ways. Understandable that all players don't share the same confidence as others.
It's not a question about blaming individual players. It's about footballers being held to the same standards as the rest of the population. Nearly everyone has at risk family members but we don't have the luxury to stop working due to this. Deeney or any other player is well within their rights to not play and ask for a leave or dispensation. The issue is they are saying the whole footballing industry should not come back to business because the players are at risk. We are all at the risk when we go to work, but we can't call for our businesses to remain shut. It's the entitlement from some players that is grating.

romufc

The issue is they are saying the whole footballing industry should not come back to business because the players are at risk. We are all at the risk when we go to work, but we can't call for our businesses to remain shut. It's the entitlement from some players that is grating.
Actually, this is not correct. Football falls under the entertainment category, like theatres, etc.. which are not been told to go back to work.
Why is it that only football is so eager to get back?

Posh Red

It's not a question about blaming individual players. It's about footballers being held to the same standards as the rest of the population. Nearly everyone has at risk family members but we don't have the luxury to stop working due to this. Deeney or any other player is well within their rights to not play and ask for a leave or dispensation. The issue is they are saying the whole footballing industry should not come back to business because the players are at risk. We are all at the risk when we go to work, but we can't call for our businesses to remain shut. It's the entitlement from some players that is grating.
Has there been any footballers that have demanded to be paid whilst refusing to play? What entitlement are you referring to?

TheReligion

Abusive
Does everyone who wants Deeney back and the PL to plow on regardless want kids back in school now?

Asking as I'm curious as to where people's current boundaries are and why.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Does anyone actually think the PL care how many people test positive? They probably have a trade of between the £ and infection rate.
Thats grand when there is only goods invovled. When you have people involved they can say feck off

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
Would you be happy for all of next season to be played behind closed doors? including CL ties?
No. But it's going to probably have to, and players will continue to contract this thing while it does. Football needs to convert to a model, temporarily, which mitigates risk and approximates the game as much as possible. This is what everything is going to do over the coming months: tv production is doing it, bars and restaurants will do it, live entertainment will do it. None of those things are going to return to their pre-covid form right away but we have to make do. No business is going to wait until it's all or nothing, they'll return in a different form that mitigates risks.

Because the alternative is to wait for a vaccine for could take years and try to restart the professional game from whatever total wreckage we're left with.

romufc

No. But it's going to probably have to, and players will continue to contract this thing while it does. Football needs to convert to a model, temporarily, which mitigates risk and approximates the game as much as possible. This is what everything is going to do over the coming months: tv production is doing it, bars and restaurants will do it, live entertainment will do it. None of those things are going to return to their pre-covid form right away but we have to make do. No business is going to wait until it's all or nothing, they'll return in a different form that mitigates risks.

Because the alternative is to wait for a vaccine for could take years and try to restart the professional game from whatever total wreckage we're left with.
I agree you cannot wait until a vaccine is available but it seems rushed to me this project restart. Just like alot of things the govt has done.

It seems there is no real plan, it would have made sense to test players / staff regularly leading up to the last weekend.

Why do you only start testing a week before training?

What I am getting at is better planning is required.

Pagh Wraith

This is getting bizarre here. Did you genuinely think there wouldn't be infected footballers? How likely is that? The whole point of mass testing is to find them and isolate them. Just as they did in Germany. The league is continuing whether you like it or not. But we've been through this.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This is going to rumble on and on with randoms testing for it.

So the only obvious way is a simple set of one off games to decide it all.

Liverpool v City for the title. Maybe Liverpool get choice of ends to allow for the points advantage.
Us v Sheff Utd for 5th
And maybe a couple of games to sort the rele out.

Perfect. Who could disagree right? Maybe I should be on the board.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
No, you’re right, we wouldn’t but we’re shite right now so it’s unlikely to cause anyone any health concerns. :D
Fair, and I don't doubt that we'd have thousands crowding the streets if/when they announce it.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
His view is understandable but he's speaking from a very privileged position which not many people can afford in these circumstances. Let's see how long Watford are comfortable with his stance if they're in the relegation zone once football resumes.
He has all the right to do so just as anyone else.

It's really been a delight to follow this thread. From the optimism of the voiding to the bitterness of now as that possibility has faded. It's been brilliant, me and my Scouse friends have enjoyed certain posts very much. Thank you guys!!
Thirty years of crying and gnashing of teeth won't be put to bed for you by this * league. :D

King7Eric

Has there been any footballers that have demanded to be paid whilst refusing to play? What entitlement are you referring to?
The entitlement of thinking that the entire industry should not be back at work because a few individuals are uncomfortable with the situation. If I'm uncomfortable about going to the office, I wouldn't be asking my entire company to not open at all.

romufc

The entitlement of thinking that the entire industry should not be back at work because a few individuals are uncomfortable with the situation. If I'm uncomfortable about going to the office, I wouldn't be asking my entire company to not open at all.
Are you being told to be within 10cm of each other in your office?

spiriticon

What's a minor issue like a few virus deaths when on the other hand there is more money to be made?

Let the handshakes and spitting commence.:houllier:

Can't they just end the season with the placings now as final?

Sigma

Can't really compare normal jobs to football in that respect. People who have normally jobs wont be continually tested and be isolated with their colleagues which is what is happening to the footballers precisely due to the physical nature of the sport.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What's a minor issue like a few virus deaths when on the other hand there is more money to be made?

Let the handshakes and spitting commence.:houllier:

Can't they just end the season with the placings now as final?
Is this your first day on this thread? :lol:

King7Eric

Pay me 100k per week when my colleagues are being tested twice a week, and I'd be happy to have them within 10 cm of me. Not to mention when you have to use public transport at full capacity, social distancing kind of goes out of the window.

Rooney24

In all fairness though he's just another individual who's been crippled by fear. Constant depressing news about the number of deaths increasing day after day after day. There's plenty of others just like him. It's gotten to the stage now I reckon where the biggest danger lies more in long-term mental health issues for thousands & thousands of people who've all who've been mentally scarred by the events of the past few months. Footballers are not like your everyday Joe Bloggs who work in a factory or building site. They live an isolated life anyway & so this stuff probably feeds on their insecurities more than it would for the rest of us.
Did you even bother your hole reading that article ?

It literally states in the third paragraph that his 5 month old son has breathing issues. THAT is why he is not going in and it’s completely understandable given the virus attacks the respitory system !

He Is quoted as saying:

My son is only five months old, he had breathing difficulties, so I don't want to come home to put him in more danger."
I have a baby roughly the same age and I would take the exact same stance if there was a health condition!

Glad to know you would be willing to play fast and loose with your kids health though.

crippled by fear? Do me a fecking favour.

King7Eric

I really don't understand why more people don't get this. The solution is not to close all industries that aren't "essential" and risk financial ruin. We have to figure out ways to live and thrive with this virus, and yes that includes the football industry also.

arnie_ni

Ratio is pretty small to be fair. 6 players from 3 clubs only. Won't stop the restarting plan if they want to do it.
Wouldnt those 3 teams then have to quarantine if this happened once training began?