Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

SharpshooterTom

The season's going to have to be voided, there's no way they're solving in this in 6 weeks. It will be July or August at the earliest before we see any significant improvements.

We will be lucky to start the next season on time let alone finish this one.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If anything my projection is under estimating the rates being reported as the actuals are higher.....

Thu 12 Mar 585 actual 590
Fri 13 Mar 750 actual 798

By 3rd April no of cases could be at least 100,000 BUT this assumes that nothing more is done to slow it down and I am sure additional measures will be put in place.

However, I can't see the EPL picking up where it left off on 3rd April or any other time before next season to be honest.
Depressing but true. There’s no possible reason for the situation to be any better on April 3rd than it is right now. Especially with the light touch approach of the UK government. The only possible outcome is a lot more infected on a daily basis and a lot more dead and dying than we’re seeing right now. So what possible justification could the PL have to start the league again?

For me, best case scenario is football getting going again by the beginning of next season. But even that seems a stretch.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Depressing but true. There’s no possible reason for the situation to be any better on April 3rd than it is right now. Especially with the light touch approach of the UK government. The only possible outcome is a lot more infected on a daily basis and a lot more dead and dying than we’re seeing right now. So what possible justification could the PL have to start the league again?

For me, best case scenario is football getting going again by the beginning of next season. But even that seems a stretch.
Next year probably more realistic unfortunately.

Lynty

If anything my projection is under estimating the rates being reported as the actuals are higher.....

Thu 12 Mar 585 actual 590
Fri 13 Mar 750 actual 798

By 3rd April no of cases could be at least 100,000 BUT this assumes that nothing more is done to slow it down and I am sure additional measures will be put in place.

However, I can't see the EPL picking up where it left off on 3rd April or any other time before next season to be honest.
Those are confirmed cases. They've stopped testing the majority. The current estimate is 5,000-10,000 in the UK. I'm hearing that in a local hospital for example, there is officially 1 case. But 1 whole ward has been infected and they've been awaiting the test results for 3 days.

What we'll start seeing is the the deaths rise at a faster rate than the confirmed cases, artificially increasing the mortality rate like in Italy. When in fact, the number of cases are 20 times higher than reported.

matt10000

Next year probably more realistic unfortunately.
Those are confirmed cases. They've stopped testing the majority. The current estimate is 5,000-10,000 in the UK. I'm hearing that in a local hospital for example, there is officially 1 case. But 1 whole ward has been infected and they've been awaiting the test results for 3 days.

What we'll start seeing is the the deaths rise at a faster rate than the confirmed cases, artificially increasing the mortality rate like in Italy. When in fact, the number of cases are 20 times higher than reported.
Indeed, I projected based on reported cases increasing by 1.28 per day but in fact it is as you say estimated to be 5,000 to 10,000

However my projection is flawed because the infections do not just increase exponentially.......as people develop immunity it should slow down....

Until there is a mass produced vaccine or we have herd immunity (which would mean 40 million uk citizens having had coronavirus, recovered and developed immunity) then it will continue to spread but hopefully as more people get it, recover and develop immunity it slows down.

Problem is that with 3% of reported cases being fatal, it is estimated that maybe 1% of total cases are fatal - that is 400,00 UK citizens. Could be many more times that require hospital treatment and recover but NHS does not have that kind of capacity. So slowing it down (flattening the curve) and minimising transmission to the vulnerable is key.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/11/flattening-curve-coronavirus/

But this slowing down may mean it impacts next season as well.

I have seen unsubstantiated reports of the Chinese using blood from people who have had it and now have immunity and antibodies in their blood as a treatment...so hopefully slowing it down will allow NHS to cope better, better treatments to be available and eventually a vaccine mass produced unless we get herd immunity before then.

https://fortune.com/2020/02/14/china-coronavirus-treatment-blood-plasma-recovered-patients/

Last edited:

Ludens the Red

Yup, that’s the thing but to be honest I think the football powers know this. This month is a way of just giving people some breathing space. You only have to look at all the flapping and misplaced outrage online from this thread yesterday and people like Henry Winter to see carrying on football when the rest of Europe has brought it to a halt would have just created a negative reaction. People are worried and scared and so they’ll lash out at anything they perceive to be wrong and logical thinking is out the window.

Football is high profile, stopping it creates the most impact on society in terms of awareness etc.
The were forced into a corner, they probably hoped the government would do it for them but that didn’t materialise.

When all the outragers step back and think about things properly they’ll realise the corona virus isn’t going to decide to stop infecting people/footballers and they’ll realise that everything else in the world is just going to have to carry on through this tough period. It’s been said before but either you stop it all (as in China/Italy) or you stop nothing.

If the precedent is set, that if anytime a player gets it, the entire club is quarantined for 14 days then that will be the end of football for the foreseeable future. And I think we all know that is never going to happen. It’ll resume in a month.

The other obvious thing to note about setting such a precedent is that it should then be applied to non football things, after all this is health related right? For example, should a Primark cluster manager get corona virus, by this rule of thumb, thousands of staff members just as footballers would be compromised. And just as attending supporters to football games would be compromised so would the many thousands of visitors to Primark everyday. This precedent is clearly completely unsustainable.

Teja

And what about any team who can’t then field the squad they’ve been using all season because players are out of contract due to the delay? Once any postponement starts to cause issues like that then it’s no longer a resumption because the goalposts have moved.
Yup, the transfer window will be interesting too. Does it open at the usual time? Does it mean clubs can sell players in the middle of the season etc.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Any conspiracy theories yet? Like the virus was created by Sir Alex and a team of scientists in a bunker under Old Trafford and released to stop them winning the league.
Wuhan (China) Wuhan is a city of around 9 million residents within the Hubei province of Central China. Manchester's sister city link with Wuhan dates back to 1986 and is based on economic activity to encourage trade and investment between the UK and China.

https://secure.manchester.gov.uk/in..._and_democracy/5903/international_civic_links

1986. The year Fergie took over.

aosmdee

On twitter
Chenbariatrics1/status/1238322250392039424?s=20

This is a technical thread, and you can read it if interested, but I want you to read the 8th tweet in the tweet thread. You can get sick from this even if are young and have no medical problems. We can get you through it probably if we have enough ventilators, but if we don’t, you’re screwed. Most people don’t get this severe illness but also the healthcare system is only capable of caring for so many at a time. This is not a walking dead zombie virus, so you shouldn’t panic, but it is a virus that stretches the medical system very thin, and with that can significantly increase deaths. This is the absolute right thing for the EPL to do. One day we will look back at this and say this wasn’t so bad (I hope!). But you will need to think that it was not so bad because we took these drastic measures to stop the spread, and reduce the load on the medical system. This absolutely works. Check out the outpatient influenza cases in Taiwan too (blue line) https://data.cdc.gov.tw/en/
Stay safe caftards. We will be stronger when we come back!

Lynty

Indeed, I projected based on reported cases increasing by 1.28 per day but in fact it is as you say estimated to be 5,000 to 10,000

Until there is a mass produced vaccine or we have herd immunity (which would mean 40 million uk citizens having had coronavirus, recovered and developed immunity) then it will continue to spread but hopefully as more people get it, recover and develop immunity it slows down.

Problem is that with 3% of reported cases being fatal, it is estimated that maybe 1% of total cases are fatal - that is 400,00 UK citizens. Could be many more times that require hospital treatment and recover but NHS does not have that kind of capacity. So slowing it down (flattening the curve) and minimising transmission to the vulnerable is key.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/11/flattening-curve-coronavirus/

But this slowing down may mean it impacts next season as well.

I have seen unsubstantiated reports of the Chinese using blood from people who have had it and now have immunity and antibodies in their blood as a treatment...

https://fortune.com/2020/02/14/china-coronavirus-treatment-blood-plasma-recovered-patients/
Good links. I must admit, when all this first started, I was very casual about it - thinking it would never effect us. As I'm on NHS frontline, it is now very much effecting me.

Any conspiracy theories yet? Like the virus was created by Sir Alex and a team of scientists in a bunker under Old Trafford and released to stop them winning the league.
Iran are claiming its experimental germ warfare accidentally leaked in Wuhan.

But I prefer your theory.

Goku23

Can't disagree it's the right call what crap timing though first time in 6 years weve looked and an actual team who was improving. And to add tonthe crap Spurs will most likely have Kane and Son back we may have Rashford and Pogba but whi knows if our momentum is killed by then. All this could be academic of course as most seem the think the season will be cancelled.

Fridge chutney

Well you guys should read this I think:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/02/here-is-what-coronavirus-does-to-the-body/

I'm Vietnamese and we have been fighting this from the very start. You can use google translate to read this as well:
https://news.zing.vn/hinh-anh-phoi-cua-benh-nhan-bi-virus-corona-pha-huy-post1053172.html
https://dantri.com.vn/suc-khoe/viru...tren-co-the-nhu-the-nao-20200217135407112.htm

As this virus attacks mainly the infected's lungs, even if you got recovered from the virus your lungs already got damaged by then and it'd take time to health them back. That why I said most of the patients who recovered still have some lung damage with them.

Imo this lung damage seems pretty similar with one caused by smoking. Of course it can be fully recovered over time, like when you stop smoking but usually this process would take years until your lungs get back to top conditions, if it would. And for a professional footballer or athlete, their careers should be dead by then I think.

Of course I'm no doctor so please correct me if I'm wrong.

P/S: I forgot one thing that only around 20 % of those got infected would have serious lung damages. That's why I said "sometime very seriously". Only in such cases that your lungs would take years to fully recover I think. Sorry if my post caused any misunderstanding that all would.
Stop spreading false and unverified information! It is not true that most people who get it have permanent lung damage like you claimed!

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)

Greck

The season's going to have to be voided, there's no way they're solving in this in 6 weeks. It will be July or August at the earliest before we see any significant improvements.

We will be lucky to start the next season on time let alone finish this one.
It won't be. Too much money at stake. Foregoing 3 months worth of revenue can set some clubs back a few years. I think they will play out the rest of the season even if they have to shorten the next 5 pre-seasons and use a condensed calendar to make it work. When football returns we may have a glut of games non-stop to look forward to

Last edited:

Strelok

Stop spreading false and unverified information! It is not true that most people who get it have permanent lung damage like you claimed!
I'm getting annoyed with this tbh. Read my post again, I had clearly explained that most of the recovered patients would have some lung damage with them since the virus mainly attacks the lungs. However only the serious cases would take years to fully recovered, not all the ones infected. This is a fecking common knowledge in my country as we've been dealing with this virus from Jan ffs. I'm actually amazed that most here seem to be new with that fact.

This virus has entirely fecked up my job, my life and basically every fecking thing in my country. Till now my kids have to stay home for almost two months since all schools are closed indefinitely. I run a small hotel and had to close it for a month as well. People mostly stay home and only go out when absolutely necessary. Coffee shops, cinema, restaurants, beaches etc are basically empty.

I understand the psychology here though. Just like you guys two months ago I did have a tiny hope that this is not that serious and life could get back to normal soon. Wake the feck up, this is not a joke, this is a fecking pandemic ffs.

I didn't want to continue posting about this since this is a fecking football forum, it seems you guys don't want to listen to and it's not my fecking job to wake you guys up. However this is getting too annoyed, please stop quoting me on this. Believe whatever you want to, can't arsed more tbh.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
And the virus Real Madrid so badly wanted to buy in 2008.
We've performed better than ever in Pogba's absence so it wouldn't be a major loss if he left. Plus his transfer fee will go a long way to funding Sancho, along with several other recruits in the summer.

It's all good. Thanks for your concern though.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
The fact of the matter is that the season is going to have to be voided if this continues on for more than a month. It is the most clean cut way of doing it. All other options just opens a Pandora's box of issues.

For instance;

1) If it closes down for 1+ month then all the players are going to need a equivalent of a pre-season to get them up and running as otherwise you expose them to injury. This goes double if you say that they have to play multiple times a week.

2) Most contracts end in June. If you continue the season beyond that you will have the current squads messed about with and/or open up massive employment disputes.

3) If you go to some form of play off system the league(s) are going to have to create an arbitrary system that will be unfair on multiple teams. This will be challenged in court.

4) Any extension then directly impacts the football calendar for years on end. If you finish this season in August it pushes everything back.

Obviously, voiding the league does create losers namely Liverpool, Leeds and WBA. Some arguments can be made for Sheff Utd, Leicester, us etc, but all of that is based on probability rather than fact.

As for the financial cost, the top leagues/governing bodies are going to have to pay out to support the system. Obviously, this will hurt but it will pretty much effect every league in the same way so is more fair.

I really do not see how making up imaginary new rules to make up some bastaris*tion of a season is frairer than voiding it. The arguments for new rules are mainly coming from a minority as it is in their own interests.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
We've performed better than ever in Pogba's absence so it wouldn't be a major loss if he left. Plus his transfer fee will go a long way to funding Sancho, along with several other recruits in the summer.

It's all good. Thanks for your concern though.
I think this was lost in translation. I wasn't having a dig at Utd, probably for the first time ever (I know, I'll get myself tested). I was referring to Ferguson who said I wouldn't sell them (Madrid) a virus back when Ronaldo was being poached. Now we know what he was saving the virus for. :(

DevilRed

People actually think the league will magically restart in two weeks time?

In two weeks time the entire Europe might be looking like what Italy or South Korea (or China previously) are now!

There really is only a very slim chance we can restart the league after what will be at LEAST a minimum of one month shutdown of the entire country. Even then, would it be safe to gather in public places? Many cases of reinfections.

For those saying there are low mortality rates, there is also long term damage to lungs and other vital organs even after recovery.

Take it from someone who has been in Asia the last few months. The West is sorely under prepared and up till now you still aren't seeing people wearing masks!

Even if the league is restarted a month or two from now, what happens to the contracts and loan deals that will inevitably expire by June? Teams will be looking drastically different. Its just a major clusterfeck.

The silver lining is that the dippers actually might have their season voided. It might really happen :lol:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I think this was lost in translation. I wasn't having a dig at Utd, probably for the first time ever (I know, I'll get myself tested). I was referring to Ferguson who said I wouldn't sell them (Madrid) a virus back when Ronaldo was being poached. Now we know what he was saving the virus for. :(
Oh, okay.

Too much virus-related stuff flying about at the moment. It's all very confusing.

taribhumpu

As much as you are trying to be funny, this is not cool. People taking everything lightly until it hurts them or their closed ones.

Tel074

My cnut of a CEO will have us working on our deathbed, so no chance of working from home unfortunately. I commute to London on the fecking train 5 days a week too (face palm).
Shocking some people can't put their workers health before profits . Stay healthy

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
They're going to have to void the league (hilariously).

No champion, European spots awarded by current league position (and pending the results of any appeal City lodge).

All cups voided.

No relegation, increase the Premier League to 22 teams next season, promoting the top two from the Championship.

5 down, 3 up, or whatever maths needs to be done to rebalance leagues after next season.

0le

My cnut of a CEO will have us working on our deathbed, so no chance of working from home unfortunately. I commute to London on the fecking train 5 days a week too (face palm).
Name and shame please.