Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Infra-red

Doubt that would happen, season would be null and void I think.

Need all 38 games played. Relegation would also be impossible without the season completed, only solution would be to start again next year with the same teams?
Leicester will likely be pretty annoyed at having to miss out on next season's Champions League if all of this season's results are declared null and void.

Arsenal would be delighted though - if City's ban stands, they (as last season's fifth place finishers) would presumably be playing Champions League football next season.

Would be a kick in the teeth for United, who would have no CL next year and, as a consequence, a drop in commercial revenues. Still, it might all be worth it if it means no title for Liverpool.

JMack1234

There's no way it'll be declared null and avoid and I think they'll find away to finish the season off.

That said, I think this weekends round of games will be the last with fans in the ground.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Leicester will likely be pretty annoyed at having to miss out on next season's Champions League if all of this season's results are declared null and void.

Arsenal would be delighted though - if City's ban stands, they (as last season's fifth place finishers) would presumably be playing Champions League football next season.

Would be a kick in the teeth for United, who would have no CL next year and, as a consequence, a drop in commercial revenues. Still, it might all be worth it if it means no title for Liverpool.
Why would they go back to last year's finishing positions?
That qualified them for this year's tournaments.

Most likely they'll simply play it all out behind closed doors. The fact articles are coming out saying the 3pm blackout would be dropped say that they're considering it already,

In a way Liverpool having it stolen from them would be rubbish, as their fans would give it all the "Moral" victors stuff.
Would be funny of course, but like you say not really when it affects us, and other teams too.

Utdstar01

And all football clubs use millions of GBP? Not a chance in hell, they will play in empty stadiums if they have to before they forego the TV money.
The decision would come from higher up. If it gets as bad as Italy then I think there will be a lot of pressure to suspend it.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Behind closed doors?
Yeah. Poor from the clubs announcing so late in the day, some fans leave tomorrow and can't get refunds less than 24 hours before the flight. Was obvious it wasn't going to have fans yesterday after the government announcement.

Utdstar01

Yeah. Poor from the clubs announcing so late in the day, some fans leave tomorrow and can't get refunds less than 24 hours before the flight. Was obvious it wasn't going to have fans yesterday after the government announcement.
Clubs should refund fans out of goodwill.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Think premier league will stagger through next two weeks as normal as then Easter break happens. Can certainly see closed stadiums in April and the run in as outbreak will probably be much worse then.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
If that happens only fair Emery is reinstated!

hp88

After the celebrations in Stretty yesterday, playing behind closed doors makes sense.

Shame the scousers will probably have to cancel their parade as well :lol:

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Should City lose to Arsenal, the bitters will be praying for next Monday to be played behind closed doors. If not they'll bring the own fecking padlocks just to make sure.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Seems there's a big possibility this could happen.
I imagine that's purely wishful thinking on your part. Had we been in November, then yeah it would have been a strong possibility, but with just a handful of games left I'd say it's highly unlikely. Worst case scenario I can see - after playing behind closed doors - is for the season to come to a premature end & the final placings to stand.

Gearbox Paddy

An absolutely shit one for Liverpool FC and their fans.

Winning the league in front of an empty stadium.

Not being able to have a trophy parade.

Poor guys, some people just can’t get a break in life.

marktan

The smart thing in England would be to follow Italys lead now, not in 2 weeks when it reaches the current levels in Italy. China locked down whole regions and their cases are going down.

Devil81

The seasons fvcked, how can they carry on with the Champions league with no fans.

I'd say it would be best if they actually cancelled all football until this has blown over, it's gonna get to that stage anyway.

stevoc

I imagine that's purely wishful thinking on your part. Had we been in November, then yeah it would have been a strong possibility, but with just a handful of games left I'd say it's highly unlikely. Worst case scenario I can see - after playing behind closed doors - is for the season to come to a premature end & the final placings to stand.
And that seems like wishful thinking on your part. The season probably won't be cancelled i agree with you there, but if it were no way could the current standings count without all teams having played 38 games home/away.

Art Vandelay

Playing behind closed doors is the only solution, these measures have to be taken now before things get wildly out of control. Absolutely brutal for Liverpool and their fans winning the league in an empty stadium.
Yeah. What's the point in waiting for it to inevitably get worse when you can start doing something to try and slow it down now? It's not about football, it's about giving the NHS the chance to cope with it as best they can. Although it is also about Liverpool having to win it in an empty stadium.