Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
I think they will need to think of this for at least a season. But they won't because of their sheer greed.

It is becoming clearer that the implications will be colossal and might alter the whole state of the game for years. If it continues the clubs won't have the resources to pay the disgraceful salaries to their mediocre underperformers (Jack Wilshere on £100k a week at West Ham for instance) This thing could burst the football bubble for good or at least a long long time.

Force Maejure clauses are indeed part of contracts. But they are not general blanket clauses. Often they are narrow and incorporate a range of events. Pandemics and world wars are not really top of that list though it might be - I'd have to read the contract in question.

Generally, if you make your clause so broad as to be unreasonable, no one will contract with you. If you make it too narrow, then it is useless. Furthermore force maejure has no fixed definition in English law at least.

Believe me, legally speaking, things will get incredibly difficult. We are staring at years of third party litigation between caterers and clubs. Between players and clubs, clubs and community centres and clubs vs the league.
Is drafted into nearly every standard Force Maejure clause i've ever seen. I've taken it out of a few contracts, but it is a standard element of those clauses.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I honestly don't think this kind of thing helps from the media, it's an apocalyptic headline that doesn't need to be out there when people are already worrying just to get clicks.
100% this. A few doctors I know have said Coronavirus may well be here to stay but the big anxiety stems from it being a new strain so 1) no one is immune YET and 2) they are learning about the effects of the virus itself. But what they do know is that it's ultimately from the strain of the same cold as they've seen before so it shouldn't be unmanageable in the long term. It might be that going forward it comes around seasonally and affects a few people but by then they know what it is and what they're dealing with etc.

But Guardian will take that, and spin it and make it look like the world will end.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Force Maejure clauses are indeed part of contracts. But they are not general blanket clauses. Often they are narrow and incorporate a range of events. Pandemics and world wars are not really top of that list though it might be - I'd have to read the contract in question.

Generally, if you make your clause so broad as to be unreasonable, no one will contract with you. If you make it too narrow, then it is useless. Furthermore force maejure has no fixed definition in English law at least.

Believe me, legally speaking, things will get incredibly difficult. We are staring at years of third party litigation between caterers and clubs. Between players and clubs, clubs and community centres and clubs vs the league.
I disagree that vis major clauses are not general blanket clauses, only a careless lawyer would leave them out because they are an integral component of commercial contracts. World history is littered with pandemics and wars (world, regional or even local wars), so it's imperative for any lawyer worth his fee to include a vis major/Act of God clause to cover such events. You can be sure that, for instance, in Asia vis major is part of any major contract after the tsunami experiences, if not before. After coronavirus, the football authorities in Europe will ensure these events are covered in their league rules, commercial deals and player contracts, assuming they are not already covered which I doubt. A vis major clause does not broaden a contractual clause, it only ensures that a party will not be forced to complete its contractual obligations if events beyond it's contractual control happen. At the end of the day the question is: What do the FA and Premier League rules and regulations say about this or such events? - that's what needs to be determined from the legal instruments, and my argument is I would be shocked if they are silent.

Reactions: Fortitude

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
It's The Guardian.

You may as well listen to what The Star or Talksport have to say.
It’s not an opinion piece. They’re quoting a Public Health England document. The CMO did say in an earlier press conference that a worst case scenario of 80% was possible. However the document says it’s expected:

“As many as 80% of the population are expected to be infected with Covid-19 in the next 12 months, and up to 15% (7.9 million people) may require hospitalisation.”

jymufc20

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I honestly don't think this kind of thing helps from the media, it's an apocalyptic headline that doesn't need to be out there when people are already worrying just to get clicks.
I think it does help, there are to many idiots out there that think this is all fine, if only a few of them read this and think "shit I had better be more careful" then lives could be saved.

ti vu

The Super League will not work without crowds, and governments across Europe will not sanction attendances or crowds until this pandemic is sorted out.
That’s why Super League idea is better now than CL, EL in this situation. Plenty of qualifying round in CL & EL need to start early before we can enter group stage. We can’t start that with many leagues being suspended. In current system it faces the same issues and more.

Super League is hosted between the big clubs. Without dealing with qualifying round, it can be arranged to start after everything being under control. Super League ain’t supposed to be fair which in normal circumstances people would object, but now in this situation it’s flexibility would make it doable.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
I think it does help, there are to many idiots out there that think this is all fine, if only a few of them read this and think "shit I had better be more careful" then lives could be saved.
Or: 'SHIT! Better stock up on toilet roll like a fecking lemon so everyone else, including the elderly, can't get any when they genuinely need it. Oh and 17kg of pasta too'

Hester_manc

I saw, that Spain could be locked down for at least 2 months. If the same thing happens in England, then the PL is over for this season - I can`t see, how it could be saved. But that will leave everything in a mess. If you choose Liverpool as winners, you also have to take other clubs into account: What about the WBA and Leeds who can win promotions? And what about negative considerations, like Norwich, which is the last team in the league? Or Bournemouth, who are in third place from the bottom with the same number of points like Watford and West Ham? If you take one club into account, you have to take into account all of them. In fact, I'd rather see the league end with Liverpool as winners than see teams being awarded championships, promotions and relegations artificially. And if you don`t crown a winner, then WBA and Leeds have to stay in the Championship, while Norwich stays in the PL - or?

ti vu

Legally, it does. It simply means that the current season will not count and we return back to status quo fom the start of the season.

Also lets not kid ourselves, UEFA will bend over backwards to shoe horn Manchester United in the champions league. People seem to forget just how fecking big we are and not having us in the CL costs not only us, but UEFA as well. Mardid, United, Barca and Bayern are the Ferrari f1 team of football. These four teams are who most people pay to watch.

Surprised they haven't invented some bullshit legacy clause to prevent the likes of all 4 not appearing in the CL.
League Cup has a winner. If the ban on City stands, Aston Villa would be qualified for EL qualifying round. Other countries smaller leagues season had ended such as Norwegian league (?)

This league season for many being voided, but not the completed competitions. UEFA has the responsibility to see who they would allow into their competitions the following season. However, they’re not bound legally to settle by previous season positions as there are changes since that time: we‘re not time traveling.

With no estimation of when the pandemic can be put under control, UEFA has their hand tied, with this and the EURo. This is why I see Super League idea is where it would help show the problem for next season before things can be resumed to normal in 21/22. Big clubs are to take care of themselves or they have nothing to show next season.

Last edited:

Devil may care

100% this. A few doctors I know have said Coronavirus may well be here to stay but the big anxiety stems from it being a new strain so 1) no one is immune YET and 2) they are learning about the effects of the virus itself. But what they do know is that it's ultimately from the strain of the same cold as they've seen before so it shouldn't be unmanageable in the long term. It might be that going forward it comes around seasonally and affects a few people but by then they know what it is and what they're dealing with etc.

But Guardian will take that, and spin it and make it look like the world will end.
I can't speak for the rest of Europe or the US but I think the English media have been irresposible with this situation from the get go, every death toll headline they can print or stick in a video is there, every worst case scenario is hypothesized on, but there are a lot of people that have been infected and recovered, yet they barely mention that as it lacks the sensationalist clickbait punch.

I think most of us are wide awake to how serious this is now, it's time for some calm and patience IMO, as panic will only make things worse..

Anyone still stupid enough to think there's no real problem is too stupid to be changed by any headline, all it does is create worry and fear for everyone else and fuels the morons that are buying shops out like we are about to live a real life version of The Walking Dead, not caring about the lack of supplies for the people who are most vulnerable as for the most part they are the ones that don't have the means or money to go out in their big SUV and buy a few thousand pounds worth of supplies.

El Zoido

If Liverpool aren’t awarded the title after this I legit will start believing in a higher power.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I think the UK will go into lockdown in the next week or two, when it happens I think they'll cancel the league.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
The Dipper media is going into a right meltdown. Barrow in the Mail is suggesting that in order to get this season done any or all of the following must happen so that we can finish this season:

1) Cancel the Euro's full stop
2) Next season to be reduced to 19 games (because that obviously would not cause problems with TV contracts nor jeopardise the 'integrity' (a word he seems fond of) of the league.)
3) Players contracts and transfers will need some imagined new rule of his.
4) Fiddle about with or cancel the domestic cups.

Honestly, I can never get over how deluded and self centred Dippers are. How many national associations, players or clubs would be worse off with such a situation rather than voiding?

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
When it’s safe to do so the season will be finished. Without a rule for a situation like this the integrity of the PL would be compromised if the season was voided. The Italian FA have asked UEFA to cancel Euro2020 so they can finish their leagues. I expect other national leagues to follow suit.

This will mean Utd getting a chance at CL football which I know means more to you guys than denying LFC a title. :rolleyes:

ti vu

When it’s safe to do so the season will be finished. Without a rule for a situation like this the integrity of the PL would be compromised if the season was voided. The Italian FA have asked UEFA to cancel Euro2020 so they can finish their leagues. I expect other national leagues to follow suit.

This will mean Utd getting a chance at CL football which I know means more to you guys than denying LFC a title. :rolleyes:
It’s just the Italian FA. Doesn’t mean the Italian government would allow. Italy by reports, just had a day with highest death toll to the virus. Does it look like the government had been able to control the situation?

Doesn’t mean other leagues to follow. The people lives are the matters here. Not your FA officials.

Edit: adding link

https://www.foxnews.com/world/italy-coronavirus-cases-deaths-europe

Last edited:

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
It’s just the Italian FA. Doesn’t mean the Italian government would allow. Italian by report just have a day with highest death toll to the virus. Does it look like the government had been able to control the situation?

Doesn’t mean other leagues to follow. The people lives are the matters here. Not your FA officials.
Of course it depends on public health, no-one knows where that will be by the summer. Lots of grim forecasts but football will plan ahead based on different scenarios and advice from health and govt officials. That’s why I said it will be completed when it’s safe to do so.

ti vu

Of course it depends on public health, no-one knows where that will be by the summer. Lots of grim forecasts but football will plan ahead based on different scenarios and advice from health and govt officials. That’s why I said it will be completed when it’s safe to do so.
The request is to postpone the EURO, not cancelling. The Italian FA officials just gave a decoy explanation to avoid opening a political can of worm saying something like the Italian government is struggling to deal with the virus! A good move even though it sounds stupid for the Italian FA to say that.

Even the governments ain’t able to see when this would ease. Football plan being planned out is far stretched.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Oh dear.

nothing like ignoring the reality we face.

There is a cut off, otherwise if it goes into the summer clubs will have a different makeup to their squads as a whole load of players will be out of contract!!

unfortunately you are too emotional, and that’s understandable given you are a Liverpool supporter to contemplate any outcome that means Liverpool don’t win the title. However you need to think about the fact there are 91 other clubs in England, and we need to look at the bigger picture both from a football perspective, but more importantly from a societal perspective.
It's not emotional. Its the rational and sensible option.

Yes, I am thinking about the 90 other clubs (Interestingly what would happen to Bury now in the result of a void season?) Teams like Sheffield United and Wolves don't deserve to have their season taken away from them, even the likes of Steve Bruce and Newcastle have had a good season considering that most people had them as favourites to go down.

Its no surprise that the main two offenders that want to get the season voided are the incredibly underachieving West Ham and Spurs!

Is that really how we work now, we reward failure?

I am thinking about it from a societal perspective. My 71 year old Dad has Cancer, in normal circumstances a very easily treatable one, however now this has all changed, and he's obviously a massive risk if he catches the disease.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
This is just one scouser losing his shit over the prospect of Liverpool being denied the title, can you imagine how RAWK will react if it ever gets officially confirmed?

It's gonna be one massive party of funnies. The memes, the Hiter Youtube videos, Rafa crying, Brenda laughing, Gerrard petitioning, the RAWK thread, the popcorn, the beer, on and on it goes. I can't wait.
Losing my shit? Hardly.

You can add them to the memes about Liverpool paying 36 million for Salah, Liverpool celebrating the West Brom Result, Klopp never winning anything etc. Look how well that turned out?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Losing my shit? Hardly.

You can add them to the memes about Liverpool paying 36 million for Salah, Liverpool celebrating the West Brom Result, Klopp never winning anything etc. Look how well that turned out?
I've never seen any of those memes.

You just made them up, didn't you?

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
But thats not what i asked you though.

What would you prefer to happen if the current season cannot be finished?
It will be finished eventually on the basis that you can't start a new season without completing the previous one.

If you don't complete one season, whats to stop 14 teams that aren't happy with the way the next season is going all working together and voiding it? Its sets an incredibly dangerous precedent to not finish a season that is about 75% of the way through.

ti vu

It will be finished eventually on the basis that you can't start a new season without completing the previous one.

If you don't complete one season, whats to stop 14 teams that aren't happy with the way the next season is going all working together and voiding it? Its sets an incredibly dangerous precedent to not finish a season that is about 75% of the way through.
PL is just one division. Several more divisions that FA has to look at.

There is a good reason to cancel the season: global pandemic with no vaccine and cure. It‘s more dangerous to ruin the league reputation to put players, staffs, and fans in danger to complete the season at all cost. Football is not that big to tempt another outbreak for the whole population to deal with. Those clubs who don’t see that point would need to answer to the people. Good luck.

Greck

That's not a reason to finish it. This herd immunity approach isn't simply going to last a month. Players will get sick as well

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

There's a difference between clubs CHOOSING not to play (which wouldn't happen) and not being ALLOWED to play.

Football being called off is different to clubs ganging up in your hypothetical example.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
If Liverpool aren’t awarded the title after this I legit will start believing in a higher power.
Especially when you realise Wuhan is a sister city of Manchester and have been since the year Alex Ferguson took over United. :lol:

caid

I think this season will be voided if they cant finish off the last games. Everyone knows who won the Premier League really, but theres very few other clear cut decisions. Things like relegating bournemouth on goal difference or trying to call Serie A just doesn't make sense really.
Europa League or Champions League taking place next year dont seem that likely to me either tbh. I'd say it'll be somewhat of an achievement if domestic leagues go off next season without serious changes.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I don't know about shortening next season but there's certainly plenty of scope to reduce the amount of games played in all competitions. The Carabao Cup needs to be ditched for starters. Then UEFA need to look at doing away with the group stages in the EL & the CL, taking both comps back to the days of the old European Cup when they were straight-forward 2 legged affairs. Even if we started the new season in September it would still give the leagues a full 9 months before the season ends. Let's not forget too that most of the European Leagues are in the same position, so voiding this season might be the easiest thing to do but it most certainly ain't the right thing to do, & only people with an agenda or vested interest would disagree, so that's why I'm absolutely convinced that those who govern our game will eventually do 'the right thing' & find a way to ensure this season comes to a natural conclusion.
You think completely changing the face of our football by ditching a domestic cup and altering the complexion of European competitions is “the right thing to do” and you are suggestions it’s other people who have an agenda? :lol: