Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Djemba-Djemba

They've already postponed the City Arsenal match.

This weekend's games would have been postponed anyway.
It was only an hour or so ago they were still planning to have the games go ahead in front of packed stadiums.

The Arteta breaking news seems to be the only reason they've changed their mind.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool could end up with 2 titles - one from an incomplete season and one gifted to them in 2014 - what a strange year.
:lol: I forgot all about that. So PL void the season but to keep us cushy give us number 19 anyway. Everyone's happy. Well everyone except Manchester FC.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don’t know who is behind this Corona business but I suspect it’s one of the ‘Pogba has played his last game’ lot getting desperate.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Mendy is in self isolation now, surely they can't expect teams to play whilst first team players are stuck at home.
Players are out ill all the time with contagious conditions. There will be a breaking point if too many are out though.

clarkydaz

It was only an hour or so ago they were still planning to have the games go ahead in front of packed stadiums.

The Arteta breaking news seems to be the only reason they've changed their mind.
They havnt even done that yet, only called a meeting to discuss it

Cloud7

Not a wum, I asked before, what will the financial impact be for Utd for another CL-less season? Must be close to the bone now?

I checked the Utd forum, nothing there.
Not that that’s what really matters here, but for the sake of discussion, contracts regarding these huge sums of money are likely insanely complex. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s some sort of clause regarding United missing out on the CL due to extenuating circumstances, which this may count as. This is pure guesswork on my part.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Having to have another season in the EL will not hurt at all if it means your wait for the title ticks over to 31 years though.

Not that anything to do with football really matters now.
It's a race against time to even get football going next August.

Nobody really knows when it will tail off.

It could take up to a year for all we know.

RyRoc

They’ve basically waited for someone to get it before deciding to take action on it.

Actually, for once, feel slightly sorry for the Premier League as that speech from Johnson earlier basically gave them with very little to go but would be impossible to go ahead with the fixtures now. Need to postpone the league for a month ,see where we are at with It then , before going ahead to make a decision.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
It's fecking mad isn't it.

Every other major football league in Europe has stopped, other major sports around the world have stopped, we have players self isolating, the Arsenal manager is confirmed to have the virus and they've only just agreed to have an "emergency" meeting to discuss it further.

What the hell are they thinking?
Something to do with the PL being the richest and most lucrative league in the world. Greedy bastards.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
This is literally only being done to get Liverpool over the line and avoid the legal tornado they'll cause if it's called off.

Rancid cnuts.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
What about Leicester with 3 out ?
Plenty of teams have had 3 players out with illness before. You’d probably need to be actually unable to field a team with registered players. You have a squad for good reason.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Having to have another season in the EL will not hurt at all if it means your wait for the title ticks over to 31 years though.

Not that anything to do with football really matters now.
It'd be pretty fecking shit to miss out on Sancho because we couldn't offer CL football, especially when we're actually in good form and probably would've got it through either top 4 or through the EL.

Tel074

As hilarious as it would be the season won't be voided but it has to be suspended for at least a few weeks . How the UK government can come out with comments like they did today regarding large crowd gatherings being okay is simply astonishing

Devil81

Unbelievable to think the Premier league considered carrying on behind closed doors, did they honestly believe footballers were immune.

Footballs not that important people should risk lives watching. I've just seem people flapping in Co Op cause the women on the till was coughing her guts up. Imagine the panic in a football stadium if someone did the same.

Red00012

The season resumes at some point with Liverpool winning the PL and United winning the EL

or

The season is abandoned with Liverpool winning nothing and United failing to get into the CL because we finished 6th last season

?
The 1st one , I’ve had a few months to deal with the fact they’re going to win the league which makes it a little easier.
A win on the last day of the season would Be 10 times worse.
I’ll take a EL win to ease the pain

Djemba-Djemba

It'd be pretty fecking shit to miss out on Sancho because we couldn't offer CL football, especially when we're actually in good form and probably would've got it through either top 4 or through the EL.
Yeah it would, but Liverpool winning 27 out of 29 games, being 25 points clear and potentially a game or two away from clinching the title and then having the season voided meaning they don't become Champions. I mean come on, that would be incredible.

Coronavirus is a horrible fecking nightmare but Liverpool being denied the title would be a nice little ray of hope amidst the bleakness.

ManchesterYoda

If Premier League isn't finished and Liverpool are awarded the title by default, it should be 18 1/2 titles, not 19. Think of South American leagues that award 2 champions each season. If that system existed here Liverpool would have won first title but unable to win second title due to league being abandoned.
Also, I don't think we or Real Madrid should be awarded the European trophies because it's a cup competition. Instead it should be that all remaining teams qualify for Champions League qualifiers and there are no winners this year. I'm not going to complain too much if we are awarded the Europa League but it will be a hollow victory and not one to be proud of.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Not that that’s what really matters here, but for the sake of discussion, contracts regarding these huge sums of money are likely insanely complex. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s some sort of clause regarding United missing out on the CL due to extenuating circumstances, which this may count as. This is pure guesswork on my part.
It matters quite a lot actually. From a medical perspective obviously we have the CE forum. But from a footballing perspective I agree there may be a lot to lose in contract clauses. Ironically, despite what the fans want, the Glazers and your spreadsheets guy will fight tooth and nail to have their 5th position frozen (for when City get banned obviously). Utd is still a very big financial voice in the PL when they shout.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
No chance. Too much cash at stake. It will be suspended until summer and euros postponed til next year

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
They cannot be awarded title by default. Yes they’d 100% win it but you can’t just make that assumption while it’s still mathematically possible for them to drop it. Besides you can’t just crown the champions but not decide on anything else. Full season should be voided, back to square one in August if possible.

Though imagine having 1-8 playoffs which we would somehow win. That would be utterly hilarious.

hp88

This will go down just like the F1, most likely announce that all games have been postponed for this weekend.

Then next week once the feel shit storm starts they will announce it's suspended until further notice.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Seems like it's a very real possibility then

Voiding is a complete bullshit response that would only be driven by those with an agenda like Norwich, Bournemouth, Man Utd, Everton etc. A perfect excuse for teams who've been shit for the past 7-8 months while punishing teams who've actually been quality like Liverpool and Sheffield United.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
No chance. Too much cash at stake. It will be suspended until summer and euros postponed til next year
It's the only obvious solution.

Cancel euro 2020 till 2021

Suspend football till early May.

Get a new set of fixtures out and just hope against hope that the virus is not a problem in May.