Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Knowing Liverpool's recent luck, the season will start again next March and we will carry on like nothing happened.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Knowing Liverpool's recent luck, the season will start again next March and we will carry on like nothing happened.
Absolute worst case scenario, is that we have no football at all until about September, and then they decide to play out the last 2.5months of this season then.

But then having done that, decide the next season will be a mini one, no cups, meaning essentially top 4 and europa hunts were a waste of time, and a 19 game league season.
Meaning Liverpool are in prime position to win another one on the cheap, equalling the 20.

romufc

The only saving grace to any decision, is that no one has actually achieved anything yet league wise.

If Liverpool had already got the last couple of wins, then we'd have a really awkward situation.
Of them technically having won it, but the league maybe not finishing.

I think that would have been very difficult to not award them the win, even if it was voided for everyone else. Leading to a quiz question in 50 years! What year were only champions crowned, but no other positions!

As they haven't, that takes a fair bit of heat off.
Agreed, the only reason it is such an issue is because they have such a sizeable lead. If they were even 10 points clear, this discussion would have gone easier.

The thing is that any decision made will be greeted with negativity.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Agreed, the only reason it is such an issue is because they have such a sizeable lead. If they were even 10 points clear, this discussion would have gone easier.

The thing is that any decision made will be greeted with negativity.
Despite the scouse mafia, (and I genuinely think their oldboy and media supporting network means that term is acceptable) starting to ramp up the pressure now with their constant opinions on it, the FA won't be forced into anything due to one club.

I'm pretty sure they'll be sh!T worried about how they have tonnes of clubs that'd be straight at them demanding money and compensation, with legal cases all over the shop.
Unless it's culled, then no one can claim to be treated any differently than anyone else.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Absolute worst case scenario, is that we have no football at all until about September, and then they decide to play out the last 2.5months of this season then.

But then having done that, decide the next season will be a mini one, no cups, meaning essentially top 4 and europa hunts were a waste of time, and a 19 game league season.
Meaning Liverpool are in prime position to win another one on the cheap, equalling the 20.
I was actually feeling quite positive for the first time in ages until I read this. :lol:

Seriously though, could not give a shit about football at all right now, more worried about not going bankrupt. A load of millionaires not being able to play sport can wait.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The only saving grace to any decision, is that no one has actually achieved anything yet league wise.

If Liverpool had already got the last couple of wins, then we'd have a really awkward situation.
Of them technically having won it, but the league maybe not finishing.

I think that would have been very difficult to not award them the win, even if it was voided for everyone else. Leading to a quiz question in 50 years! What year were only champions crowned, but no other positions!

As they haven't, that takes a fair bit of heat off.
That's an interesting point, and I think you're right, they would have had to award them the title.

It makes the two points we took off quite significant.

Would it be a stretch to say United, assisted by Watford of course, prevented Liverpool from winning the league?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Despite the scouse mafia, (and I genuinely think their oldboy and media supporting network means that term is acceptable) starting to ramp up the pressure now with their constant opinions on it, the FA won't be forced into anything due to one club.

I'm pretty sure they'll be sh!T worried about how they have tonnes of clubs that'd be straight at them demanding money and compensation, with legal cases all over the shop.
Unless it's culled, then no one can claim to be treated any differently than anyone else.
I strongly oppose this suggestion. All of it.

ariveded

Would top-level football industry suffer its first recession? This is argubly one big industry which has only grown. Then, there is the growing income gap between fans and players, how can it be tackled? Football is expensive and it's not sustainable model for common fans. Will elite players now be considered as rich people first than players? They are getting tested whereas common man is struck in a big line. It's probably a moment for football to re calibrate....

Reactions: Carolina Red

norm87cro

It really does feel the Dippers are getting robbed because they were supposed to win the League with 20 points to spare. But there are other teams that will miss out on promotion and nobody in the media is mentioning them. So either everything continues on a later date or everything is cancelled. No middle ground

Crustanoid

Hopefully this is correct and we’ll stop hearing the endless bleating of their selfish, self pitying fans, players and media influences, which is particularly sick considering the other things going on at the moment.

Draw a line and move on

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Hopefully this is correct and we’ll stop hearing the endless bleating of their selfish, self pitying fans, players and media influences, which is particularly sick considering the other things going on at the moment.

Draw a line and move on
Not really. It just suggests they won't be gifted it, not that the season won't be completed. Which to be fair, nobody has a real problem with as long as it doesn't put people at risk and mess up ongoing seasons as a result.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
I mean, it was pretty obvious and logical. But they will probably find a way to finish it.
How if players / squads are effected by covid? Can't possibly play unless all teams, staff, managers all covid free or recovered, surely?

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Whether you have the virus or not is irrelevant seeing as you can contract it at any time or place without your knowledge. The general rule of thumb is to avoid contact with other people as much as humanly possible, engaging in a game of football with 21 other participants - not including the manager, staff, and subs - directly challenges that rule whether behind closed doors or otherwise.
Why wouldn't they test all those involved before holding matches behind closed doors given what we know now? This seems obvious. The reason why we are supposed to avoid contact with other people is because of the lack of testing for the general populace means we don't know who is a carrier.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

You are way too focused on Liverpool when they are really the least of the FA and UEFAs concerns. The main issue is the potential of bankrupting clubs with missed matches, existing sponsorship agreements and the legal ramifications of European places/promotion/relegation. There are far greater issues at stake.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Not really. It just suggests they won't be gifted it, not that the season won't be completed. Which to be fair, nobody has a real problem with as long as it doesn't put people at risk and mess up ongoing seasons as a result.
This is really the crux of the argument. If nobody is being put at risk, why would the season not finish? Coronavirus is delaying everything. Players out of contract on June 30 are unlikely to be signed with everything in flux. The transfer windows are also unlikely to open at their normally allotted times. It's just weird seeing people begging that the season be canceled when it benefits everyone to reach a conclusion to a season 75% complete. I just don't get the logic.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I was actually feeling quite positive for the first time in ages until I read this. :lol:

Seriously though, could not give a shit about football at all right now, more worried about not going bankrupt. A load of millionaires not being able to play sport can wait.
Yep.
Although sport is what a lot of us lose ourselves in, and give our otherwise aimless lives some meaning :drool:

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
It really does feel the Dippers are getting robbed because they were supposed to win the League with 20 points to spare. But there are other teams that will miss out on promotion and nobody in the media is mentioning them. So either everything continues on a later date or everything is cancelled. No middle ground
The last part is totally correct. Either everything gets played out by June or it gets voided. That is the most clean cut and fair way to go about things with the least amount of issues down the line. All suggestions of 19 game seasons, culling the cups next season and enforced contract extensions is just wishful thinking. The only options are play out by the Summer or void, everything else is moot as it is not going to happen.

Le Red

- Delay the start of next season;
- Scrap Carabao and FA Cup for next season:
- Finish the current season if possible.

Ez

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You are way too focused on Liverpool when they are really the least of the FA and UEFAs concerns. The main issue is the potential of bankrupting clubs with missed matches, existing sponsorship agreements and the legal ramifications of European places/promotion/relegation. There are far greater issues at stake.
I think we're now all rotating between the same points...
And unfortunately there will be months more of this.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
- Delay the start of next season;
- Scrap Carabao and FA Cup for next season:
- Finish the current season if possible.

Ez
It would already be delayed if we're back up and running by April.

The point is how far a delay do you have.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
They cancelled school exams in May & June. They're expecting this to last a good while yet.

People expecting the season to just magically restart are clutching at straws. It's over.

Member 101269

They cancelled school exams in May & June. They're expecting this to last a good while yet.

People expecting the season to just magically restart are clutching at straws. It's over.
It's not just about exams, it's about preparation for exams. even if kids are back in 6 weeks, they need pre time. That said, the communication was more about not disadvantaging students and they will get grades.

You're right about the season; i said it ages ago.

Guy Incognito

Not surprised they are going with the BCD story, that was the only way matches could've been played.

With London being the primary concern for the government, it's unlikely they could stage matches there even if the season was going to restart in May.

I suspect they'll hand Liverpool some sort of special dispensation prize if the season gets cancelled.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
EFL putting forward a £50m package to help clubs during shutdown. Their primary objective is to finish the 19/20 season.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
You play to the rules that are stipulated by the body running the thing. If Wolves or Man Utd have a fantastic start, going on to win the league in 20 games then everyone else had the same equal chance. It's still a 'proper' season just under extenuating circumstances.

What is key though is that you have not wasted any season, i.e. 2019/20 was honoured to completion followed by 2020/2021 - to completion. Clubs make their money and survive.
I understand Liverpool fans saying this as they seem to only care about being given the PL League.
The above would be very detrimental to many lower teams who would not survive and i cannot understand this 'finish the leagues at all cost' being preached especially by Liverpool and their fans.

Can they understand that this virus is real, dangerous and much more important to stop than anyone winning the league?!

Play the games behind closed doors just to satisfy some teams? Of course not.

We can already see many players being contaminated so is that fair on the teams who can't use their full squads? Of course not.
Is that fair on the supporters of ALL teams? Of course not.

Declare the Season Null and Void for all football.

Lee565

Do you think they will try to push getting the season over and done with asap by trying to see if they play games without a crowd the minute they feel they can get away with it or wait until it's ok to have fans back in a stadium together?

EASTSIDE777

Do you think they will try to push getting the season over and done with asap by trying to see if they play games without a crowd the minute they feel they can get away with it or wait until it's ok to have fans back in a stadium together?
I think if that opportunity presented itself they'd jump all over it.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You can imagine even Liverpool trying to void it once they've got their 2 wins!