Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

doriandun

For all those who keep on harping on about 750 mill on the line, it is actually 250 mill, give or take a few pounds, for this current season, as the contract is a 3 year deal for 3 billlion.

No court in the land would side with the broadcasters, for anything more than the above figure, as the broadcasters have already recieved 75% of the current deal,and its is highly unlikely the governing bodies would sign a contract, that stipulates if the league is void we must pay back 75% of the fee negotiated.

The problem is, just like most of society, the governing bodies have no or little cash reserves, and the reserves they do have, has been squandered elsewhere , think wembley staduim, and the same is apparent with football clubs, who should have cash reserves of a least 4 to 6 months gate receipts and merchandising, year on year as a minimum.

Redcy

I think the bigger problem will be club survival, what if for example a club is in administration due to length of time out and they have had to sell all their players? What if clubs go out of business which seems eminently feasible without a massive package of funding? If football starts by August then it may be feasible,but after that I think too many things will have significantly changed to continue as is in any format.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Check out a video on Facebook by impressionist Charlie Hopkinson. The video is called “Premier League Cancelled. Ft The Peaky Blinders”

the last bit with Tom hardy cracks me up :lol:

not sure how to imbed FB videos direct

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Can see the season being played out before Christmas then the following two season's being calender season's upto Qatar 2022.

Then after that work on getting the calender back to normal, whether that's a one off big money tournament before re kick off in August 2023, or slowly work it back to normal in a few year timeframe.

Will bring issues with contract situations but aside from that seems the most sensible route to go down.
When does Euro 21 get played in this scenario?

Renegade

Absolute rubbish, why are people so insistent that the August-May calendar has to be religiously stuck too at all costs?
Players on loan returning to their parent clubs. Example being Henderson coming back to United weakening Sheffield United’s Europe charge.
Also kit manufacturer contracts. Liverpool switch to Nike this summer. Can you imagine the outrage from New Balance if Liverpool lift trophy pictured in Nike kit? That’s costly to them from a future marketing point.
There’s so many implications people are missing just to have the season completed. That’s ignoring the huge health risks we’ll still be dealing with anyway.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The one division that should not increase prices...?
Well London is going to be very badly hit once this is all over so interested to see what the uptake from here is on Arsenal's 100 quid tickets for Cat A matches and also likes of Spurs and West Ham so they're going to have to take a big hit.

Judas

Open to offers
Players on loan returning to their parent clubs. Example being Henderson coming back to United weakening Sheffield United’s Europe charge.
Also kit manufacturer contracts. Liverpool switch to Nike this summer. Can you imagine the outrage from New Balance if Liverpool lift trophy pictured in Nike kit? That’s costly to them from a future marketing point.
There’s so many implications people are missing just to have the season completed. That’s ignoring the huge health risks we’ll still be dealing with anyway.
Yep exactly, the more you think about it, the more complicated it gets, we've barely scratched the surface of reasons why its a going to be near on impossible task.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Nike and NB have already discussed and resolved this issue. No problem at all.

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
UEFA president saying the season could be lost is probably the clearest sign of the league being voided yet I think. UEFA were adament that they would finish the CL but it seems they've accepted it'll be near impossible given Italy and Spain are decimated currently (with France and England to be the same soon). Once the CL is voided, it clears a huge headache for the leagues given the CL is invitation only. UEFA will decide who qualifies, most likely the same teams as this season and that will solve 50% of problems for leagues with voiding.
Besides Man City :wenger:

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Oh have they? Fair play I wasn’t aware.
Yeah Nike agreed that if the season restarts Liverpool should wear the NB kit for the remainder. All very amicable - it shows that in exceptional circumstances agreements can be reached. But no doubting that player contracts would be a much bigger issue and involve lots more interested parties.

Member 101269

Todays Gov announcement; next 6 months there is 3 week review, load of uncertainty and plausible it can be longer to be back to normal. it is a moving target There is no discussion about return in the winter or backflow.

We know there will not be a vaccine in that time (gov 12-18 month) Profs (18 month), what is defined as normal isn't clear.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Presumably we're going for staged herd immunity, so low risk groups e.g <30 years old with good health, will be let out first and they'll do in stages to build immunity up in the population.

The other option is waiting for a vaccine, which will be 18 months of full lock-down, that doesn't seem very realistic.

Seems pretty unlikely there will be football before June then, some players will still have it, managers are older though so would still be under lockdown, not to mention all the other issues. Null and void season the most probable outcome?

Jonno

No chance football will be back in June. It sounded today to me like the best case scenario we can slowly phase in a gentle return to normality, starting in 3 months, which means re-opening parks, not football stadiums.

Null and void season to be announced in June I reckon, and I don’t think any football officials want to admit it yet.

Last edited:

AlwaysRed66

The way the deputy government health adviser was talking it might be up to six months or more before the country returns to normal. If this is true football would be not restarting until October. I expect UEFA would have made a null & void decision long before then, whatever the greed merchants of PL think.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
6 months has got to mean the end of next season too, surely? If we're operating on the system that we need a full and proper pre-season. I think if we null and void, it makes no sense doing a hodgepodge season next year, just start it up again in August 2021.

finally the penny is starting to drop in the football community.

30th June has always been the natural cut off point.

we all know that there has to be a cut off point (surely it’s even sunk in with Liverpool fans?). Certainly looks like it’s converging for the end of June, which is entirely sensible.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
So another person that sees the logic of it starting back up in July. It's entirely possible - like I have been suggesting all the time during this thread.

Football will be back.
Of course football will be back. The question is when.
I think realistically August or September.
Unless we are subject to divine intervention, I can't see Covid19 back under control within 4 months.
The FA, at some point, will need to make a decision on how to decide the placings of the EPL and whether or not to award the league to LFC, with 75% of games played.

Although China and South Korea have things under control, they were VERY professional in the way they dealt with things. In the UK, we are still having parties and non essential workers are still going to work, packing out trains. In a nutshell, we are following the path of Italy and Spain.
Cases in Italy have been increasing for about 4 weeks now and the curfew is in full swing, with no end in sight. I'm actually expecting it to be worse in the UK, because we are more lax than Italy.
So, I'd say another 4-5 months of this is likely.

Last edited:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
"It's all about Spurs. No one caring about the pandemic at large and the dying", etc, etc.
Ultimately there are only 2 solutions that are fair on the majority.

Carry on the season when possible, or cancel it when it cannot be salvaged.

caid

Assuming football doesn't come back before August, how do you restart the league.
Does anyone think we could get through a full season? Even limiting it to just a domestic season, is trying to get a 40 games season without fairly regular disruptions realistic?
Would some kind of more limited season with teams broken into groups of 4 that at the end of the regular season would result in everyone playing eachother twice be a good way forward?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Assuming football doesn't come back before August, how do you restart the league.
Does anyone think we could get through a full season? Even limiting it to just a domestic season, is trying to get a 40 games season without fairly regular disruptions realistic?
Would some kind of more limited season with teams broken into groups of 4 that at the end of the regular season would result in everyone playing eachother twice be a good way forward?
I would hope it is doable if you were to start in September and discuss scrapping useless international friendlies & the Carling Cup (useless pile of wank of a cup can abandoned for a season I'm sure).

"It's all about Spurs. No one caring about the pandemic at large and the dying", etc, etc.
unfortunately for you, whilst spurs can be mildly annoying, they don’t have a documented history of being a self absorbed and inward looking fanbase like Liverpool.

Kane is saying out loud what any rational person is thinking - that is, we all want the league to finish, but ultimately there’s a cut off point, and logically that’s 30 June.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Seen the latest "plan" is hoping widespread testing becomes available in next two months to the population.

One of the articles was quoting a medic at a premier league club who said they were hoping for that and to start again in June. That is still wildly optmistic timescale considering U.K will likely be in lockdown until middle of May.

I've changed my opinion last few days. Would be very surprised if we see any football before August (even that isn't a big possibility) but still five months away so perhaps some good news with treatments will pop up in the meantime.

Seems Man. City are refusing to play until there's a generall all clear so that's another issue with starting football again even in five months time.

stevoc

It's never about Spurs.

Harry is speaking sense though. If it can't be finished before the end of June then draw a line under it and move on.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Hope they don't show the Netherlands vs Scotland game. Got free tickets, schlepped all the way up to Villa Park for the most boring 0-0 you'll ever see!
It's the England games plus the final on ITV 4 and all the other games tucked away on ITV hub.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The way the deputy government health adviser was talking it might be up to six months or more before the country returns to normal. If this is true football would be not restarting until October. I expect UEFA would have made a null & void decision long before then, whatever the greed merchants of PL think.
I don’t think the ‘country returning back to normal’ and football being able to be played behind closed doors, for instance, are to be judged by the same standard.

I suspect PL will try and go the closed doors route at some stage before we decide to scrap altogether.