Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Member 101269

It has to be mutually exclusive because of the magnanimity of this crisis. There are only a finite number of things that can be done simultaneously in the current scenario.
profoundly cataclysmic if we do not resume the games very soon ! Football is one of the last things that needs to begin in this country. It is an entertainment industry, and should be treated as such.

Football is important, but surely there are other sectors that are much more important. The entertainment sector should come near the bottom of this country's list of priorities.
It makes my mind boggle that some want bcd with nhs staff, yet they’re not calling for live tv programs or filming of East Enders, Corrie or other entertainment. There is a level of empathy I cannot comprehend.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It has to be mutually exclusive because of the magnanimity of this crisis. There are only a finite number of things that can be done simultaneously in the current scenario.

My problem is with the European Leagues trying to push the narrative that football is so important in day to day life that it would be profoundly cataclysmic if we do not resume the games very soon ! Football is one of the last things that needs to begin in this country. It is an entertainment industry, and should be treated as such. Football should not be prioritised over any other entertainment business, and absolutely not over any other "essential service."

The social restrictions that are in place now need to be de-escalated in a gradual manner. You cannot afford to be too hasty, else there is every chance of setting off another big wave of infection, creating more virus hotspots, overwhelming the NHS and causing more deaths. Food, agriculture, water, waste, communications, information technology, manufacturing, critical services, retail, wholesale, fishery, transportation, accommodation, environmental activities, justice sector, research institutions, schools, colleges, universities, restaurants, energy, government institutions, and dozens of other essential services and service-chains have been disrupted. Each sector is feeling the heat, just like sports.

Football is important, but surely there are other sectors that are much more important. The entertainment sector should come near the bottom of this country's list of priorities.
What I mean by mutually exclusive is that there's this stigma that keeps growing that anyone who cares about football doesn't care about life. Which honestly begs the question why the hell did those people get into football in the first place if that's their thought process? Because no football match in history has started and finished without people dying in their thousands world wide.

I'm under no delusion we should be rushing football back, nor do I want that to happen, but do I want it back as soon as it's logistically possible? Absolutely.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It makes my mind boggle that some want bcd with nhs staff, yet they’re not calling for live tv programs or filming of East Enders, Corrie or other entertainment. There is a level of empathy I cannot comprehend.
Probably because at this point there's still a few months worth of soap episodes still to air so they aren't in the same boat as football fans yet.

If they run out before the cast return to filming then you will suddenly see more soap fans on social media with similar discussion threads to this one.

Member 101269

Probably because at this point there's still a few months worth of soap episodes still to air so they aren't in the same boat as football fans yet.

If they run out before the cast return to filming then you will suddenly see more soap fans on social media with similar discussion threads to this one.
How can you live event record? We’ve discussed your flawed view before; you keep peddling return of football while leaving out other events... rolls eyes

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
How can you live event record?
Live shows like This Morning and One Show are still on air. Ant and Dec polished off the most recent Saturday Night Takeaway series behind closed doors.

But please, do carry on.

Cloud7

What I mean by mutually exclusive is that there's this stigma that keeps growing that anyone who cares about football doesn't care about life. Which honestly begs the question why the hell did those people get into football in the first place if that's their thought process? Because no football match in history has started and finished without people dying in their thousands world wide.

I'm under no delusion we should be rushing football back, nor do I want that to happen, but do I want it back as soon as it's logistically possible? Absolutely.
If you're referring to me, by no means have I tried to draw any stigma that states anyone who cares about football doesn't care about life. On an individual level you can care about both, but on a governance level, the level that matters the most at this point, it simply cannot be viewed with equal importance as other facets of society, as @TheLord so eloquently explained up there.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Yeah but they are set in advance, so it will have been written in a contract last season that the top 4 qualify for the next seasons champions league, you can't just take that away and give it to whoever you like without their being a lawsuit put against you immediately
Act of god.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool

Yeah I don't understand why some people suggest that anybody who is thinking about how, when and if the season can restart, or when next season will start is being disrespectful. We are on a football forum discussing that exact topic?

We are obviously well aware of whats happening in the world and will happily wait until it's safe to do so, it's interesting hearing people's ideas and theory as to how it will play out though, is that not the whole point of this thread?

TheReligion

Abusive
I see this thread is still going around in circles with @redman5 posting Daily Mail articles telling everyone the season must finish at all costs whilst others go on about TV money and other irrelevant nonsense.

Truth is no one knows what will happen but it's quite feasible we don't finish the season and anyone who refuses to accept this as a possible outcome is a blinkered moron.

Geelong Devil

A good analogy is rain-affected cricket matches.

Say, a one-day international cricket match (50-overs each) is interrupted after the first 60 (50+10) overs due to sudden rain and the rain does not stop. In some instances, teams may continue to play the game the following day, but by in large, such one-day matches are abandoned. And no winner is declared if the Duckworth Lewis system cannot kick in.

Do the spectators ever get refunded in such a situation? No. (A complete or a sizable washout is different.)
Do cricket boards ever refund TV money for that match ? No.
Are the records from such abandoned matches, like wickets taken and runs scored, erased from history books? No.

This happens all the time in cricket, in every single country. I have never heard anyone say something like “loss of integrity of cricket because of abandonment”.
As much as I agree totally with the analogy, what it doesn’t take into account are the ways in which the results of one season affect the next season (promotion and relegation, qualifying for Europe etc). That’s where most of the problems for next season are going to come.

Judas

Open to offers

The major obvious differences is those deaths weren't happening on the literal doorstep of every football club in the country, bit of a big factor isn't it? Or the simple fact restarting football puts even more people in this country in danger of DYING. It's not selfish to think "People are dying of starvation of Africa, but I still think Arsenal/Burnley should happen on Sunday". The world does keep turning rightly or wrongly with all the death in the world, but if you're miffed at people wanting things to grind to halt when British citizens are dying in nearly their thousands every day, you're not on this planet. There's no stigma that anyone who cares about football doesn't care about life, there is a stigma about posts like yours that are crap.

We all want football back, every single one of us on this message board, but some of us have a thing called perspective.

brian017

Live shows like This Morning and One Show are still on air. Ant and Dec polished off the most recent Saturday Night Takeaway series behind closed doors.

But please, do carry on.
The last 2 episodes of Takeaway were essentially clip shows

Member 101269

But please, do carry on.
I am happy to carry on; your choices are balanced, if they were balanced you have picked up on BGT, I can only conclude your arguments are based on convenience.

Live entertainment events isn't a priority; @TheLord listed a host of examples that are well ahead of condomised self pleasuring BCD football

noodlehair

"It's like..."
The TV revenue isn't guaranteed at all, at least for the specified amounts. Sky and BT will be losing a lot of customers and money over this, in the short and long term.

Go look at how ITV Digital's guaranteed money worked out for the football league.
The football league is a different scenario though as there's nowhere near the same amount oof money involved or the same level of interest. TV money isn't make or break for the football league because most cubs can't afford to pay their staff without the gate receipts anyway. Alot of them will be in big trouble.

Sky and BT will be losing customers at the moment but as soon as there's a start date they'll get a surge of new or returninng ones. Especially as it's unlikely pubs will be back open at that point. Again unlike the football league. Even if the TV money isn't paid in fulll it's still going to be a massive amount for each club as long as the games get played.

They also, unlike football league clubs, spend literally milllions a week paying their players. They have the option of asking players to take pay cuts. They have the option of leveraging a player's value to borrow. They have the option of selling players. Again the value drops but you are still talking huge amounts of money.

Furlough was broought so people's jobs wouldn't disappear. i.e. so smaller businesses or businesses that rely on continuous cash flow wouldn't have to lay off all their staff...because otherwise we'd have a problem 500x as big as the virus when we tried to come oout of lockdown. It wasn't designed so businesses can choose not to pay their staff because they'd rather keep their money for other things or just in case of what might happen in 6 months time.

I think the likes of Tottenahm and Liverpool got off quite lightly if anything as their decisions were based on pure greed and showed a pretty disgusting lack of consideration for what's actually going on...and the fact they changed theiir minds doesn't really tell you much other than how deluded they were in the first place. How much money would Tottenhan have saved for the whole time we're in llockdown by furloughing staff? About a tenth what they'd get if they sold Harry Kane? About one week's worth of their player's wages?

Blueman

Supports
Man City

Wow, thats a twist on reality...

People who bang on about how important it is to finish the season are people who dont care abut life, you twisted that into something else wtf.

Then you declare anyone who puts life about football as not even proper supporters

And finally you give the fact that people die during a 90 minute football match (How that compares to a globl pandemic I dont know) - But that is a reason to continue? Why do you even mention that?

Then you finish off with "Dont rush back, but it is important enough we rush back as much as we can"

It's exactly that sort of desparate argument and tosh that gives away the thought processes of some, whilst people are dying and the country is under the pressure, It's that sort of stuff that is insulting.

Then imagine someone hearing that having just lost a relative who they cant go visit or cant bury their loved ones - Insulting isnt even the word tbh.

Snafu17

Arguing that football should return as soon as it is possible, viable and safe to do so is not in any way insulting to the families of the deceased, what kind of a ridiculous notion is this, for feck sake.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

People who bang on about how important it is to finish the season are people who dont care abut life, you twisted that into something else wtf.

Then you declare anyone who puts life about football as not even proper supporters

And finally you give the fact that people die during a 90 minute football match (How that compares to a globl pandemic I dont know) - But that is a reason to continue? Why do you even mention that?

Then you finish off with "Dont rush back, but it is important enough we rush back as much as we can"

It's exactly that sort of desparate argument and tosh that gives away the thought processes of some, whilst people are dying and the country is under the pressure, It's that sort of stuff that is insulting.

Then imagine someone hearing that having just lost a relative who they cant go visit or cant bury their loved ones - Insulting isnt even the word tbh.
The irony of accusing me of twisting things and then you go on and do exactly that.

I never said people who put life first (which I am one off) aren't football fans.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I am happy to carry on; your choices are balanced, if they were balanced you have picked up on BGT, I can only conclude your arguments are based on convenience.
Why would I pick up on something that isn't on life until late May FFS?

And more to the point, I don't even fecking like it where I love the game. If someone said on social media that they can't wait for EastEnders to return would you call them up because they ain't equally looking forward to the return of Home and Away?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
The major obvious differences is those deaths weren't happening on the literal doorstep of every football club in the country, bit of a big factor isn't it? Or the simple fact restarting football puts even more people in this country in danger of DYING. It's not selfish to think "People are dying of starvation of Africa, but I still think Arsenal/Burnley should happen on Sunday". The world does keep turning rightly or wrongly with all the death in the world, but if you're miffed at people wanting things to grind to halt when British citizens are dying in nearly their thousands every day, you're not on this planet. There's no stigma that anyone who cares about football doesn't care about life, there is a stigma about posts like yours that are crap.

We all want football back, every single one of us on this message board, but some of us have a thing called perspective.
If there was no stigma around it I wouldn't get these replies as I have repeatedly stated it shouldn't be considered until logistically possible. Infact weren't you one of the people that went on a massive rant about talking about any form of football a few weeks ago?

Member 101269

Why would I pick up on something that isn't on life until late May FFS?

And more to the point, I don't even fecking like it where I love the game. If someone said on social media that they can't wait for EastEnders to return would you call them up because they ain't equally looking forward to the return of Home and Away?

You do know people are dying in a pandemic, they can't even say goodbye... just wow

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
You do know people are dying in a pandemic, they can't even say goodbye... just wow
Again I repeat (I can't believe I keep having to do this to allegedly fully functioning adults) but I don't under any circumstances want football back until it's logistically possible.

But If we're going down this high horse route one thing is very clear and you're using a global pandemic to score cheap points.

Alabaster Codify7

Just to play devil's advocate here. My parents friends just lost their mother to covid19, sadly. They can't wait for lockdown to end because if it continues for a few more months, they will likely end up living on the streets because they are both self employed in an industry that relies upon social gatherings. So I wouldn't go assuming that EVERYONE who has lost is happy to remain in lockdown. I'm actually very worried for them, because he once attempted suicide due to financial worries.

Andersonson

To be honest, one more year in Europa is fine for me. If everything is well by September, then I don't want curtailed PL next season.

League is getting voided if it doesn't improve by May end. They are just buying time and are pretending that they did everything to make it happen.
It might be canceled, but it wont be voided. No chance

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
Aaand around and around it goes again...

I'm confused as to why this thread is still open or not paused until further announcements. When was the last official news from the Premier League?

This is just going to keep going around and around because for some strange reason, many Liverpool fans are active on a Man Utd forum. Why the hell they want to be on here so often is anyone's guess.. so weird.

Could a mod please explain why this repeating, aimless and infuriating thread that just encourages arguing, isn't paused until further announcements? Please spare us the arguing and unpleasant undertones.

Then again, there's a few threads on the forum that have some unpleasant or biased feelings coming out of people due to the obvious anxiety and stress we are all under.

Oh sorry, back on topic..

One way of finishing this season to get the fair result that is deserved, as it's so important to do it as quickly as possible too, is to arrange for the remaining games to be played underwater.

We could easily use the multiple swimming pools this country has, and any finals etc or trophy winning games could be played at the Olympic waterpark. The water, chlorine and lack of oxygen would stiffle and upset the covid 19 germ creatures, and they wouldn't be able to swim up the noses of the footballers and underwater officials, as the nose clips and goggles would protect the eyes and lining of airways from the covid creatures entering our passages. (Not sure about bumbum entryway infection possibilities? As I'm obviously not a full scientist).

Job done. Get it finished. Get the fair and deserved result the whole country wants deep down in their hearts. Plus we can arrange pay per view matches, as we can all watch our beloved game again as soon as possible on the underwater cameras in the pools that they use for the water polo and the synchronised swimming, that we all watch to see the bodie.. skills of the competitors. *Damn you strong sexy eggbeater legs!*

I think my idea wins on all levels and we could have this started by at least Tuesday.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
You really think theres more chance they just finish the season as it stands ?
They might find a way to finish it as stands by the following:

Title - the PL will be thanking their lucky stars that a team is so far ahead. Imagine if it was even 10 points in it. I doubt many clubs will argue if PL is awarded to LFC (lots of fans will grumble of course but some will like it because of the inevitable asterisk*).

European Places - UEFA could help all the leagues by either of the following a) no European comps 20/21 (highly unlikely as too much money at stake) or b) one European comp with all teams who are in with a realistic chance of qualifying for Europe. A straight knock-out tournament.

Relegation - no relegation Leeds, WBA promoted and 5 go down next season.

TV money - allow more games next season to be shown, or if Sky/BT don't agree because next season is likely BCD then the first season that crowds are back.

None of the above is perfect, in fact its far from it - not least because it would be very hard on the teams in play-off places in the Championship. I just can't see them voiding it - the fallout would be huge and in my opinion much bigger than a fudged way of making the current standings final.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It should be an instant thread ban for the below

1. Trying to shame someone by using the "football doesn't matter right now" line. We all know this in the scheme of life. But it is a football site. Don't come on the site if you don't want to.
  2. Talking about clubs re funding already played games. Stupid.

And on we go..

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
They might find a way to finish it as stands by the following:

Title - the PL will be thanking their lucky stars that a team is so far ahead. Imagine if it was even 10 points in it. I doubt many clubs will argue if PL is awarded to LFC (lots of fans will grumble of course but some will like it because of the inevitable asterisk*).

European Places - UEFA could help all the leagues by either of the following a) no European comps 20/21 (highly unlikely as too much money at stake) or b) one European comp with all teams who are in with a realistic chance of qualifying for Europe. A straight knock-out tournament.

Relegation - no relegation Leeds, WBA promoted and 5 go down next season.

TV money - allow more games next season to be shown, or if Sky/BT don't agree because next season is likely BCD then the first season that crowds are back.

None of the above is perfect, in fact its far from it - not least because it would be very hard on the teams in play-off places in the Championship. I just can't see them voiding it - the fallout would be huge and in my opinion much bigger than a fudged way of making the current standings final.
I've seen this promotion but not relegation stuff before. It's absolute nonsense.

Why would Leeds and Wbrom get to come up when they are only two wins ahead of the pack? Especially with Leeds recent bottling behaviour?

Why then not apply any "take it as now" approach to relegation?
And no third team come up either? Bizarre.

As if having a bigger league meaning more games in what would already be a shrunken league?!
No chance.

stevoc

Aaand around and around it goes again...

I'm confused as to why this thread is still open or not paused until further announcements. When was the last official news from the Premier League?

This is just going to keep going around and around because for some strange reason, many Liverpool fans are active on a Man Utd forum. Why the hell they want to be on here so often is anyone's guess.. so weird.

Could a mod please explain why this repeating, aimless and infuriating thread that just encourages arguing, isn't paused until further announcements? Please spare us the arguing and unpleasant undertones.

Then again, there's a few threads on the forum that have some unpleasant or biased feelings coming out of people due to the obvious anxiety and stress we are all under.
To be fair its a thread on a discussion forum, its not a news outlet. The purpose of it isn't to report news but to discuss a topic which people are doing, even if it is a circular discussion.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
I've seen this promotion but not relegation stuff before. It's absolute nonsense.

Why would Leeds and Wbrom get to come up when they are only two wins ahead of the pack? Especially with Leeds recent bottling behaviour?

Why then not apply any "take it as now" approach to relegation?
And no third team come up either? Bizarre.

As if having a bigger league meaning more games in what would already be a shrunken league?!
No chance.
I can't disagree with what you say. I just think that if they can't finish it they will look for anything to avoid voiding it.

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
Well I think that my idea above to finish the season underwater is pretty faultless.

I will be reposting it whenever I see certain ideas or 'liverpool ways' in here that may cause frustration.

A bit like (nothing like) when Marukomu drops the "I don't believe it" scousers GIF in the rawk thread.

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
To be fair its a thread on a discussion forum, its not a news outlet. The purpose of it isn't to report news but to discuss a topic which people are doing, even if it is a circular discussion.
You're right, and I understand that, but it has not just been circular discussion. It's caused arguing and had an unpleasant undertone to it quite a lot. With Liverpool against United rivalry being a bit unpalateable at times. I just find it a bit negative at times, especially with the current climate and how it's been incorporated into some of the discussion and arguing here.

I think I've said it before already, but I'll just keep out of here if I'm feeling grumpy or fed up :)

Also, what do you think of my idea to finish the season underwater? Genius solution I think.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I can't disagree with what you say. I just think that if they can't finish it they will look for anything to avoid voiding it.
Yep. I would be surprised at a voiding now.
But I wouldn't be surprised at declaring it's over - it'll just be a mad sh!tshow to sort out, which I think threatens the "Integrity" way more than just not awarding a title.

I wondered on the BCD thing. In some ways it'd be a good moral boost to have it available while we're living in this strange wfh/furlough/lockdown period, but the logistics behind it just seem to be an absolute nightmare.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
But I wouldn't be surprised at declaring it's over - it'll just be a mad sh!tshow to sort out, which I think threatens the "Integrity" way more than just not awarding a title.

I wondered on the BCD thing. In some ways it'd be a good moral boost to have it available while we're living in this strange wfh/furlough/lockdown period, but the logistics behind it just seem to be an absolute nightmare.
I watched the Utd game at Lask and even tough it was a decent game it seemed so strange. The only other games I can remember being BCD are internationals where it's been as a punishment. But right now I would happily take BCD for a number of reasons. It would signal that this wretched pandemic is slowing down to such a degree that sport can begin to start up. As you say it could be a morale booster and it would also mean this thread could be closed.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

I watch reserve and youth football so i would get use to it pretty quickly. Packed stadiums is probably no more until a vaccine but i do think at some point when the BCD wears thin AND (for the benefit of the faux high horse brigade) it's logistically safe enough they may start bringing back crowds to a certain extent with people sitting at a distance from eachother. Wouldn't be exactly the same but will have a similar vibe to a latter stage youth cup final game which is ok for a sticky plaster season.

90 + 5min

Looking att numbers coming out from hospitals I can’t imagine that this season is going to be played and end in a near time. I really don’t see it happening with lots of games in leagues and domestic and euro cups. With or without crowd. And if we are going to have a ”normal” 2020/2021. If this ”normal” will ever happen that is considering we have no clue what happens when lockdown goes away.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Looking att numbers coming out from hospitals I can’t imagine that this season is going to be played and end in a near time. I really don’t see it happening with lots of games in leagues and domestic and euro cups. With or without crowd. And if we are going to have a ”normal” 2020/2021. If this ”normal” will ever happen that is considering we have no clue what happens when lockdown goes away.
Hospital admissions are decreasing and the Nightingale hospital in London has scaresly been used.

It could be interesting, or it could be a complete damp squib. I missed the Utd game where we played behind closed doors - but watched the highlights, and without a crowd it looses so much.

given the title would be over very quickly, if the league restarted, the loss of momentum we’ve had, and the fact that we have all been reevaluating what important in life, I’m really not sure that it would be a moral boost even if (logistically) possible?

we might just see a month of pre-season standard football.