Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Tel074

The hell we are. Leeds? West Brom? Sheff Utd?

How is that nonsense? Trying to get the league finished is the correct way to go. Being innovative in the process is smart. Should they just cancel it and void it because it can't be played at home venues?

Why not try to get it done, by having every player tested and at neutral stadiums if thats the safest way?

Atleast the league is trying and coming up with options and solutions. Thats far better than just voiding it.

Neutral venues and anything apart from finishing the season as it started is non event . Clubs start a season in good faith and to give anyone a certain advantage now just to go finish a season is insane . No one wants a void season but it's better to void than to change the rules during the season

Dve

Neutral venues and anything apart from finishing the season as it started is non event . Clubs start a season in good faith and to give anyone a certain advantage now just to go finish a season is insane . No one wants a void season but it's better to void than to change the rules during the season
The rules also implied there would be a winner, and 3 teams relegated.

stevoc

The hell we are. Leeds? West Brom? Sheff Utd?

How is that nonsense? Trying to get the league finished is the correct way to go. Being innovative in the process is smart. Should they just cancel it and void it because it can't be played at home venues?

Why not try to get it done, by having every player tested and at neutral stadiums if thats the safest way?

Atleast the league is trying and coming up with options and solutions. Thats far better than just voiding it.
You say that like it's some noble deed. What the feck else are they going to do, it's their job.

Though they don't seem too good at it. It's took them 8 weeks to decide that the project to restart the league will be called ''Project Restart''. And thats before even mentioning the stupid ideas like 5 subs and shorter halves that have been thrown around.

They needed to make a solid plan right after the suspension and one that all the teams could agree on and get it in motion. Instead of what they did which was first kicking the can down the road for 5-6 weeks hoping that the virus would disappear. And now scrambling around and throwing around any crazy idea they can think of just to get the league finished in any old fashion.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
This would still involve a lot of teams and a lot of games. There are only 9 games left of the season, so you just as well finish it then.
Finish off the season bcd at neautral venues loses legitimacy and integrity.

It’s a * all over. Plus quite boring as full of dead rubbers.

Solution i provided is exciting and will capture imagination of every football fan on the planet.

A super whizz actuary will be able to come up with a format that works. Every team has the chance to rewrite their destiny this season. I think players and fans would love it. It would be epic. And that would compensate for lack of fans and atmosphere in stadiums.

Last edited:

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
The FA should just void the season.
Start anew in August, behind closed doors if necessary. No promotion or relegation.

But if they void it what happens to the CL spots for next season - will they be awarded based on the table when the league was stopped, or last season’s finish?

Slysi17

Again neutral venues is not an advantage for any team due to having no crowd. I don't get why people think this. It's a bit pathetic that people are complaining this will ruin the leagues integrity

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The FA should just void the season.
Start anew in August, behind closed doors if necessary. No promotion or relegation.

But if they void it what happens to the CL spots for next season - will they be awarded based on the table when the league was stopped, or last season’s finish?
Stop worrying too much about CL

1st There won't be CL next season
2nd There won't be the same money in CL as it was pre-corona
3rd There is no travelling for the foreseeable future, so the likelihood of away matches in CL are slim to none. Europe football is a logistical and safety nightmare for everyone involved.

Besides the CL are governed by UEFA, they too can decide arbitrarily who's invited to their party (if they still have a party). It's just football, not deciding who lives or who dies. So what if you miss one season of CL, you won't miss much anyway.

There are 101 ways you can determine who goes in to CL without having to play a second of football:
1. PPG and finalise the season
2. Void the season like Dutch
3. Table as it is
4. Coefficient

It's not fair, no integrity? Tough luck. It's corona time.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Again neutral venues is not an advantage for any team due to having no crowd. I don't get why people think this. It's a bit pathetic that people are complaining this will ruin the leagues integrity
How is that not an advantage?

When your team is due to a visit to Old Trafford in your remaining game, and now playing at BCD? So yes, the integrity of the league is already ruined, there's nothing anyone can do to make it as real as pre corona

Slysi17

How is that not an advantage?

When your team is due to a visit to Old Trafford in your remaining game, and now playing at BCD? So yes, the integrity of the league is already ruined, there's nothing anyone can do to make it as real as pre corona
There won't be any crowds allowed for any sporting event in 2020 at least so what are they meant to do. Every sport will carry on and adjust. How can football clubs survive with no football till next year. It's a pandemic for God sake and an adjustment like neutral venues has to be made. With no fans being able to attend games, what is the difference in playing at a neutral venue compared to an empty Old Trafford. I see hardly any difference. I am a Manchester United fan and accept neutral venues will have to be used.

TheReligion

Abusive
Surely Liverpool get to start every game they play with a few goals head start just to acknowledge the gigantic lead they have in the league? You know, since sporting integrity is so high on the agenda.
Fortunately integrity is high on the agenda but stupidity isn't.

Member 101269

BBC are saying sanctions on clubs going against BCD. Are the FA saying this in public?

Geelong Devil

I'd be shocked if the season doesn't end with a few lawsuits. There is absolutely no way the team that goes down will accept the relegation, and in a way its fair as well.

Look at BHA's games. They have Arsenal, United, Pool and City left but all of them are at home. They can easily argue that at a home venue, they might have picked up a lucky win and a draw or something like that. But playing at a neutral venue removes all that advantage.

And if you remove relegation from the season, a lot of their players might just refuse to play as they'd regard safety of their families, themselves to be of utmost importance. This would mean that Utd's run-in would basically be a game vs Leicester, Spurs and 7 odd dead rubbers. Should we qualify for CL because of this, Chelsea would surely raise this.

In a way, one can argue that they should follow Eredivisie's model and be done with it
“Lucky win and a draw”?
Since they’ve been in the PL, Brighton have picked up 10 points out of a possible 12 at home against United and Arsenal.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
It’s weird how you don’t understand it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
BBC are saying sanctions on clubs going against BCD. Are the FA saying this in public?
You can‘t sanction clubs exercising their democratic rights. That’s mental. Either they have a vote or they don’t.

Slysi17

It’s weird how you don’t understand it.
What is the advantage though. Playing at home is literally having the crowd behind you. That's literally the advantage. However home team's won't have that due to no fans being allowed at the stadiums. So really what is it.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
There won't be any crowds allowed for any sporting event in 2020 at least so what are they meant to do. Every sport will carry on and adjust. How can football clubs survive with no football till next year. It's a pandemic for God sake and an adjustment like neutral venues has to be made. With no fans being able to attend games, what is the difference in playing at a neutral venue compared to an empty Old Trafford. I see hardly any difference. I am a Manchester United fan and accept neutral venues will have to be used.
Still it's an advantage and disadvantage for this season which has played 3/4.

My argument was you cant maintain 100 percent integrity this season, might as well use ppg to conclude it

Slysi17

Still it's an advantage and disadvantage for this season which has played 3/4.

My argument was you cant maintain 100 percent integrity this season, might as well use ppg to conclude it
That is true but it is a pandemic. It's better to finish the season if you can than to cancel it. I mean what about my team Manchester United. Have a great chance of getting top four but can't due to teams refusing to play at neutral venues. It's kind of infuriating as a Manchester United fan if the season can't be completed because of that. Also the PPG will just be the table as it is now. I mean I would accept the season being canceled if it isn't safe to play football

vidic blood & sand

Season should be cancelled.We should start again in Aug / Sep with City still as PL holders. Crazy to try and wrap it up now.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
That is true but it is a pandemic. It's better to finish the season if you can than to cancel it. I mean what about my team Manchester United. Have a great chance of getting top four but can't due to teams refusing to play at neutral venues. It's kind of infuriating as a Manchester United fan if the season can't be completed because of that. Also the PPG will just be the table as it is now. I mean I would accept the season being canceled if it isn't safe to play football
How the hell is it better to risk thousands of lives just so that you can decide who finished 4th? Isnt that the very definitions of selfish?

If we continue BCD nothing much will change. Liverpool will win, leicester chelsea city top 4. Norwich relegated.

Other than the weird craving for football there's literally nothing to play. Ppg still has us finishing 5th and our cl spot will depends on city ban decision.

So remind me what are we playing for again? Novelty things such as who finished 6th and 7th?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I have seen a few people on here now say there won't be a CL next season. Its possible I suppose given the circumstances.

Surely if we find that out soon then there will be even less appetite to finish off this season. Can only think that Liverpool in the PL will care about it being completed.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So what ? It still doesn't change anything on the legal side of things. What was it that was being said by the footballing authorities a few weeks ago ? 'We'll start football again only when it's safe & appropriate to do so'. Well it's most certainly not safe to do so with this virus still very much around. & it's hardly appropriate either with hundreds still dying in this country. So whatever course of action they take - other than restarting only when it actually is safe & appropriate - is going to be the wrong one. So dates, plans for next season, etc, mean f**k all in the grand scheme of things. Too many people on here are getting bogged down with trivial little things & semantics. But if you look at the much bigger picture you'll see that we, the FA & PL, & the government, are all being held as hostages to fate by way of an insidious little twat called Covid-19.
Well obviously my forum friend.
They're clearly banking on getting it played out, hence me asking what happens when it's clear Noone is going to be back training let alone playing any time soon.
Bringing us back to the messy ppg, awarding type scenarios.

Rooney24

Have the Bundesliga made any modifications to their rules once they start again?

Neutral Stadiums or the like? or is it just the same only BCD?

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I have seen a few people on here now say there won't be a CL next season. Its possible I suppose given the circumstances.

Surely if we find that out soon then there will be even less appetite to finish off this season. Can only think that Liverpool in the PL will care about it being completed.
Around 90 games are played from late June to late August for the qualifiers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/201...ase_and_play-off_round#First_qualifying_round

Thats not happening this summer.

I cant see how they can fit in a CL in the current format from Sep 2020 to May 2021.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What is the advantage though. Playing at home is literally having the crowd behind you. That's literally the advantage. However home team's won't have that due to no fans being allowed at the stadiums. So really what is it.
It's not just a home crowd.
It's familiarity with the surroundings, being used to the pitch- size etc. Living closer, being used to the changing rooms etc. Routine.

All that adds up.

fps

There is an obvious and colossal difference between playing home and away due to many factors including supporter atmosphere as demonstrated by teams’ comparative home and away records. For clubs at the bottom it can be even more important and that atmosphere can absolutely be a deciding factor in any game. There are many other factors around playing home or away both mental and physical. Changing to neutral venues is a change of rules and it is unfair simply for being a change from how all the other games have been set out. You then pivot and say things just must be finished, but you haven’t proved/finished the first point.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
The fact the return fixture has already been played with one team previously having the advantage you stated.

Member 101269

You can‘t sanction clubs exercising their democratic rights. That’s mental. Either they have a vote or they don’t.
It a strange one; didn't some question authorities in Scotland?

stevoc

If all of next season or a significant part of it has be played behind closed doors will those games also have to be at neutral venues?

If not then whats the point of neutral venues to finish out this season?

Fluctuation0161

The logical and safe decision would be to call off the season. Unfortunately, money talks so all the organisations running the game will push for it to go ahead. Wasting 40,000 tests for football when NHS staff and carers are not getting enough tests is ridiculous.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It is selfish. There is stuff all difference in playing at a neutral venue due to no spectators at the stadium. Premier league are doing it for safety reasons. Otherwise people would just congregate outside stadiums.
That's just not true, there's a massive difference in playing Liverpool with a full Kop to an empty one.
The players have said it themselves.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Football concerns should take a back seat British Police have said.

Mark Roberts, the national lead for football policing told Sky he was concerned about some of the comments:

we might get relegated;
we don't want to play at neutral venues;
when we played them away there were fans in the stadium;
we play at home without fans and that's a disadvantage;
we want to get the trophy.

''I get this in a football context that these are all a big deal.
But in the context where 30,000 people have died (in the UK) and the total is still going up, then it's not such a big deal.''

''We want to work with football....get the season back going for the commercial reasons, for the morale reasons...but we have to remind ourselves that cannot be at the risk of putting a single further life in jeopardy,'' Roberts said.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Surely this can't be true?
Doubt it, I'm assuming there would be good grounds to peruse it legally, you cant cast a vote but informing voters if you vote wrong you'll be punished!

Imagine the Tories put a rule in place next election saying you can vote, but if you dont vote Tory you'll spend 10 years in prison.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Get off the stage. If they had 38 points as opposed to 29 their stance would be completely different.
Doubt it.
But the fact remains that the teams at the bottom have more to lose and so will be more firm in their stance.

Josh 76

If all of next season or a significant part of it has be played behind closed doors will those games also have to be at neutral venues?

If not then whats the point of neutral venues to finish out this season?
The only example that has been given is when Liverpool 'officially' win the PL, they don't want fans gathering outside Anfield.

But that is going to happen wherever they play. BCD has advantages and also disadvantages, like every proposition to finish off the season.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Fortunately integrity is high on the agenda but stupidity isn't.
Stupidity is in the eye of the beholder. You are in this forum looking out, and we (posters, FA, PL, UEFA, FIFA, countries that have announced champions already) are looking in at the levels of stupidity. :wenger:

stevoc

The only example that has been given is when Liverpool 'officially' win the PL, they don't want fans gathering outside Anfield.

But that is going to happen wherever they play. BCD has advantages and also disadvantages, like every proposition to finish off the season.
Thats my point the whole neutral venue thing is pointless. Its just another token measure to try to push through a quicker return to football.

Liverpool and United especially have fans all over England. And besides if/when Liverpool win the league whether thats at Anfield or the moon loads of their fans are still going to make their way down to Anfield to celebrate.