Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Has been obvious for months that league 1&2 are done.

It seemed that ppg would be the way to go. But it seems like they're trying to split home and away games separately.

If they did that in our league would it change anything? One for the stats guys.

cyberman

How the hell is it better to risk thousands of lives just so that you can decide who finished 4th? Isnt that the very definitions of selfish?

If we continue BCD nothing much will change. Liverpool will win, leicester chelsea city top 4. Norwich relegated.

Other than the weird craving for football there's literally nothing to play. Ppg still has us finishing 5th and our cl spot will depends on city ban decision.

So remind me what are we playing for again? Novelty things such as who finished 6th and 7th?
The more I think about it, the more I dont see the players at risk factor.
They will be constantly tested, theres no reason to isolate teammates of the affected since theyre all tested at the same, incredible rate. You only really isolate families etc due to not being able to get tested in a timely manner so you side with caution.
Constant testing, tracing. Its the perfect embodiment has to how to fight the virus contained in one industry. Its what the economy aspires to be.

Also Leicester were in freefall and Chelseas upcoming fixtire list is a nughtmare. In what planet will nothing much change?

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Fortunately integrity is high on the agenda but stupidity isn't.
Hence no team in the PL will enter into a World Cup style tournament that could relegate them from the league ;)

And you're having a laugh if you think integrity is high on the agenda. Money is high on the agenda. Integrity is not even close.

Tel074

Again neutral venues is not an advantage for any team due to having no crowd. I don't get why people think this. It's a bit pathetic that people are complaining this will ruin the leagues integrity

It's does give teams an advantage. What if 2 teams are in a relegation battle and one team has 6 home games left while the other only has 4 home games . That's an advantage to the team who only has 4 home games left which in turn discredits the season that started .

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The more I think about it, the more I dont see the players at risk factor.
They will be constantly tested, theres no reason to isolate teammates of the affected since theyre all tested at the same, incredible rate. You only really isolate families etc due to not being able to get tested in a timely manner so you side with caution.
Constant testing, tracing. Its the perfect embodiment has to how to fight the virus contained in one industry. Its what the economy aspires to be.

Also Leicester were in freefall and Chelseas upcoming fixtire list is a nughtmare. In what planet will nothing much change?
Where does the player staying? Is where they're staying air tight from Corona? What about their meal? What about the staff surrounding their accomodation? What if the staffer gets corona and transmitted them to the player? Are we talking about coach to be quarantined along with them? what about physio? what about team doctor? what about manager?

Who test them? If they literally go there and test the player, and go back to their family at night, wouldn't that risk spreading infections on their travel? Unless the tester are quarantined together?

What if player A tested positives? How far back are we tracking back? Player A shares a dinner table with player B, player A tested positives the next day. Shouldn't B also be suspect?

Remember Prince Cruise? LIterally several people infected sailed together and you end up with the whole ship infected.

All in the name of what? Who finished 5th? Chelsea freefall? They're 3rd, we're 5th, yet we're the one asking for BCD because somehow our form is on the pick up? Seriously? Liverpool are about to lose their 28 years wait on a title, and we're feeling agrieved because our "form"?

This is not football, this is gladiator show

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
“Lucky win and a draw”?
Since they’ve been in the PL, Brighton have picked up 10 points out of a possible 12 at home against United and Arsenal.
As much as I like what Potter is trying as their manager, they aren't going to get results like that vs bigger sides.

Dick Dastardly

Supports
Wrexham
As much as I like what Potter is trying as their manager, they aren't going to get results like that vs bigger sides.
I think trying to predict results after the break, after the lockdown, without fans and with varying intensity will be very difficult.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Has been obvious for months that league 1&2 are done.

It seemed that ppg would be the way to go. But it seems like they're trying to split home and away games separately.

If they did that in our league would it change anything? One for the stats guys.
Seen a table on Twitter and it doesn't seem to change much.
Top four stays the same. United 5th Sheff United 6th
Bottom 3 is West Ham, Villa Norwich.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Neutral venues and anything apart from finishing the season as it started is non event . Clubs start a season in good faith and to give anyone a certain advantage now just to go finish a season is insane . No one wants a void season but it's better to void than to change the rules during the season
If next season is started in August or September, would that be played at neutral venues or BCD at the home grounds of all 20 clubs? Not sure I've seen that mentioned anywhere.

There really needs to be some serious planning put into next season I think even with this season still up in the air as that too is likely to be massively disrupted by covid and there won't be fans in the stadium for at least half a season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Have the Bundesliga made any modifications to their rules once they start again?

Neutral Stadiums or the like? or is it just the same only BCD?
Pretty sure they're playing the games at the home teams stadium.

That's the ideal way really in these circumstances. At least home team get the feeling of their dressing room and pitch as others have mentioned but of course I understand it's too risky to have Liverpool playing at Anfield and winning the title there particularly if it's during a time when lockdown restrictions have reduced significantly.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
So remind me what are we playing for again? Novelty things such as who finished 6th and 7th?
Following this story since the start, reading the better informed journalists, getting to grips with the financial reality of the football ecosystem, I’d say the huge motivation sits around money and broadcasters intent on contracts being fulfilled.

Not simply ‘greed’ in relation to money, but more the sustainability of clubs who will suffer if prize money and tv money is ‘voided’.

Every club in the league want to finish because of this. The morality of the issue is a distant second - although there’s maybe a moral argument around ensuring lower paid workers keep their jobs, which mightn’t happen if the league is cancelled.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Following this story since the start, reading the better informed journalists, getting to grips with the financial reality of the football ecosystem, I’d say the huge motivation sits around money and broadcasters intent on contracts being fulfilled.

Not simply ‘greed’ in relation to money, but more the sustainability of clubs who will suffer if prize money and tv money is ‘voided’.

Every club in the league want to finish because of this. The morality of the issue is a distant second - although there’s maybe a moral argument around ensuring lower paid workers keep their jobs, which mightn’t happen if the league is cancelled.
Football (or it's indirect employee) aren't the immediate worry

I don't think anyone involved with Manchester United (or any other PL club) would work on less than a very reasonable salary and a better than most furlough plan.

We're not talking about uber driver who needs to drive to survive, we're talking about full time staff (inc. off course coaches/players/executive/security/TV) who got paid fixed salary.

I'm not saying they don't need the income, but they're not the top of my list that needs to work asap.

arnie_ni

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Football (or it's indirect employee) aren't the immediate worry

I don't think anyone involved with Manchester United (or any other PL club) would work on less than a very reasonable salary and a better than most furlough plan.

We're not talking about uber driver who needs to drive to survive, we're talking about full time staff (inc. off course coaches/players/executive/security/TV) who got paid fixed salary.

I'm not saying they don't need the income, but they're not the top of my list that needs to work asap.
In financial terms, football clubs are tiny entities, including the very richest clubs. They’re minuscule operations when compared to your high street big boys, which will generate way more profit than the average PL club. This image is massively distorted because of the two dozen or so men who get paid huge sums. They’re not rich in any grand sense of the word. They operate hand-to-mouth with every penny earned and spent carefully. I read that if Gregs just sold sausage rolls alone they’d generate more income than the richest club in the country.

My point is that revenue streams are vital for these clubs which is heightened further when considering hardly any club turns a profit. Voiding a season is devastating for the industry. Clubs need to start earning again or some bigger hitters will be in trouble very soon.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
In financial terms, football clubs are tiny entities, including the very richest clubs. They’re minuscule operations when compared to your high street big boys, which will generate way more profit than the average PL club. This image is massively distorted because of the two dozen or so men who get paid huge sums. They’re not rich in any grand sense of the word. They operate hand-to-mouth with every penny earned and spent carefully. I read that if Gregs just sold sausage rolls alone they’d generate more income than the richest club in the country.

My point is that revenue streams are vital for these clubs which is heightened further when considering hardly any club turns a profit. Voiding a season is devastating for the industry. Clubs need to start earning again or some bigger hitters will be in trouble very soon.
Revenue is important for everyone, you can make a case in normal circumstances, but this is a very not normal circumstances.

Airlines could go bust, and they actually employ folds and folds more than football club ever will, school across the world (how many teachers would that be?), hairdressers, restaurants, uber driver, garment factory, and another 1001 industry that needs it more than football, even your local kebab shop needs business back more than Manchester United.

So stop playing the "we need the money" card, it doesn't work with football clubs, let alone Premier league Football clubs.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Revenue is important for everyone, you can make a case in normal circumstances, but this is a very not normal circumstances.

Airlines could go bust, and they actually employ folds and folds more than football club ever will, school across the world (how many teachers would that be?), hairdressers, restaurants, uber driver, garment factory, and another 1001 industry that needs it more than football, even your local kebab shop needs business back more than Manchester United.

So stop playing the "we need the money" card, it doesn't work with football clubs, let alone Premier league Football clubs.
Eh?

I’m pointing out why the restart is being planned. I’m also unsure why other industries are allowed to plan their return yet football are called out for doing the same thing.

Tel074

If next season is started in August or September, would that be played at neutral venues or BCD at the home grounds of all 20 clubs? Not sure I've seen that mentioned anywhere.

There really needs to be some serious planning put into next season I think even with this season still up in the air as that too is likely to be massively disrupted by covid and there won't be fans in the stadium for at least half a season.

Yeah I agree at this present time I can't see fans being in stadiums well into 2021 . I personally can't see how neutral stadiums will work but then again I can't see how football can work under these constraints

C'est Moi Cantona

Eh?

I’m pointing out why the restart is being planned. I’m also unsure why other industries are allowed to plan their return yet football are called out for doing the same thing.
All sports are planning their return atm, but some people seem to have a massive chip on their shoulders that football is doing the same.

It's odd that some think football will take some sort of moral standing here, they were called out for even thinking about using the furlough scheme, and now they're been called out for daring to think about getting the season finished, and also been sure of getting the money in that they had budgeted on receiving.

They will no doubt be clobbered next season if it's all behind closed doors anyway, so for alot of clubs sake I hope we can restart, the scrutiny will be massive so they will have to get it right if it does make it back.

Tibs

The suggestions are laughable.

Literally moving the goal posts for the last 1/4 of the season. Yes it's unprecedented times, but you can't just make random shit up to get the game going so the money men are happy.

Cancel and void this season - get next season planned, and get that going 2-3 early so we leave enough time for it to be completed, so the same rules apply for everyone through the season.

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
Eh?

Well for me, and lots of other folk it's purely the fact that it's a contact sport, where 22 men are sweating and spitting and having lots of skin to skin contact, and sweat and no doubt some saliva can also transfer, with obvious transfer of heavy out of breath breathing very close to each other at times too. You cannot avoid breathing in other peoples breath that they are panting out. Especially at corners and free kicks..

Most industries and peoples workplaces or jobs that will re start will not have the same close contact for 90 mins with other humans with all the close contact risks listed.

Then add in having to use paramedics and ambulances, medical resources, and possible police and security staff, along with all the other people involved to put it all on.

Not the same as most industries at all. The whole thing is a joke and should be put off for a lot longer until there is very low evidence of the virus in society.

Money and all the other reasons talked about for why they are pushing hard to re start will take priority though. Sad state.

Judas

Open to offers
One thing I'm totally against is binning VAR, if footballs being brought back, that has to be involved for the rest of the season seeing as so many other variables are looking like they'll be changed.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Does anyone else feel that if they brought the Prem and CL back behind closed doors they would have minimal enthusiasm to watch the games anyway? The thought of it hardly fills me with excitement and I’d watch every single City game and nearly all “big” games as a neutral without fail before the lockdown.

It's got to be obvious by now that the season is over. The UK is so far behind the rest of Europe in the progression of the virus, they cannot have football matches going on when the public is shut indoors and 5000+ cases are still being reported every day. The government just needs to come out and say it.

The PL need to change focus on how to finalise the table. I don't believe they can relegate anybody, the lawsuits that would come out of that far outweigh any lawsuits that might come their way from just ending the league and restarting next season. CL qualification is another big can of worms.

The only question that really remains is do they gift Liverpool the title, despite them not actually being champions. I suspect they might because 'it's Liverpool' but they're still not champions.

Eredivisie got it right imo and the UK should be following that.

TheReligion

Abusive
It's got to be obvious by now that the season is over. The UK is so far behind the rest of Europe in the progression of the virus, they cannot have football matches going on when the public is shut indoors and 5000+ cases are still being reported every day. The government just needs to come out and say it.

The PL need to change focus on how to finalise the table. I don't believe they can relegate anybody, the lawsuits that would come out of that far outweigh any lawsuits that might come their way from just ending the league and restarting next season. CL qualification is another big can of worms.

The only question that really remains is do they gift Liverpool the title, despite them not actually being champions. I suspect they might because 'it's Liverpool' but they're still not champions.

Eredivisie got it right imo and the UK should be following that.
Good post. It's simply got to finish surely.

clarkydaz

Does anyone else feel that if they brought the Prem and CL back behind closed doors they would have minimal enthusiasm to watch the games anyway? The thought of it hardly fills me with excitement and I’d watch every single City game and nearly all “big” games as a neutral without fail before the lockdown.
people and the media are starved of footy, they will take anything

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah I know what you mean. The integrity of the season is already gone in my opinion and I'd have to agree I've little interest in dragging a dead duck on.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
The suggestions are laughable.

Literally moving the goal posts for the last 1/4 of the season. Yes it's unprecedented times, but you can't just make random shit up to get the game going so the money men are happy.

Cancel and void this season - get next season planned, and get that going 2-3 early so we leave enough time for it to be completed, so the same rules apply for everyone through the season.
Indeed. The suggestions aren't finishing the season, instead they are establishing a new competition and tacking it on.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
A bit. It would feel like they were doing it just to get it done, less the end of a competition and more the fulfillment of a contractual obligation . Plus there would be the constant threat of further disruption if a number of players on a team get sick, so it would be difficult to invest in it.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Well for me, and lots of other folk it's purely the fact that it's a contact sport, where 22 men are sweating and spitting and having lots of skin to skin contact, and sweat and no doubt some saliva can also transfer, with obvious transfer of heavy out of breath breathing very close to each other at times too.
Strewth. I need a cold shower after that.

imonkmc

If the season resumes and a player test is positive, now that player has trained in group with his team so everyone would go into isolation, in that scenario what happens to their scheduled fixtures.

Ludens the Red

Well for me, and lots of other folk it's purely the fact that it's a contact sport, where 22 men are sweating and spitting and having lots of skin to skin contact, and sweat and no doubt some saliva can also transfer, with obvious transfer of heavy out of breath breathing very close to each other at times too. You cannot avoid breathing in other peoples breath that they are panting out. Especially at corners and free kicks..
:lol:

I’ve seen pornos less graphic than this. You kinky bastard.

Sylar

This made me laugh...

You can vote
But if you don't vote how we want you will suffer

Heinzesight

Imagine they restart the league (don’t think they will) and Liverpool’s neutral venue for their second match is at OT. The perverts at PL HQ would love that.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Football concerns should take a back seat British Police have said.

Mark Roberts, the national lead for football policing told Sky he was concerned about some of the comments:

we might get relegated;
we don't want to play at neutral venues;
when we played them away there were fans in the stadium;
we play at home without fans and that's a disadvantage;
we want to get the trophy.

''I get this in a football context that these are all a big deal.
But in the context where 30,000 people have died (in the UK) and the total is still going up, then it's not such a big deal.''

''We want to work with football....get the season back going for the commercial reasons, for the morale reasons...but we have to remind ourselves that cannot be at the risk of putting a single further life in jeopardy,'' Roberts said.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Football concerns should take a back seat British Police have said.

Mark Roberts, the national lead for football policing told Sky he was concerned about some of the comments:

we might get relegated;
we don't want to play at neutral venues;
when we played them away there were fans in the stadium;
we play at home without fans and that's a disadvantage;
we want to get the trophy.

''I get this in a football context that these are all a big deal.
But in the context where 30,000 people have died (in the UK) and the total is still going up, then it's not such a big deal.''

''We want to work with football....get the season back going for the commercial reasons, for the morale reasons...but we have to remind ourselves that cannot be at the risk of putting a single further life in jeopardy,'' Roberts said.
This is absolutely correct. It’s crazy that people suggest otherwise.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Any idea as to the feelings of clubs that are outside the bottom 6?

And why isn't player sentiment being taken into account? Laporte/Augero seemed against it. I'm sure many other players will be too. What happens in that instance?

This seems ridiculously far fetched, I think Mondays vote is a shit show.