Could this be the beginning of something?

LJJT

Spend hundreds of millions and fail to win anything is hardly something to be proud of. Losing 5-0 to your biggest rivals however, nobody will ever forget that.
We will get over it, like we got over the city thrashing. Everyone is way too emotional and dramatic. It’s 3 points, it stings more given the manner and who it was. Do we not all want a more stable club with less jerking from one thing to another? Rebuild after rebuild etc? Agree we are poor lately but we were decent last year and I can’t see why we can’t get back to at least how we were last year then go from there. I am not wanting a big ole in/out debate but if he can change this round it will be the right decision, if he doesn’t ok it’s wrong but I just think given the options- let’s see what happens keeping him for now.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
No no no. Ole is the Norwegian Blue of parrots. Ed may have nailed him to the perch but he is not stunned, he is not pining for the fjords, he is not shagged out after a long squawk, he has ceased to be, he is an ex-parrot. Our team at the moment couldn't go voom if you put 4 million volts through them...
Apologies to Monty Python, Dead Parrot Sketch.
:lol::D:lol:

MoskvaRed

I feel like Father Ted explaining perspective to Dougal: Fergie and Ole are different.

Last edited:

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
We will get over it, like we got over the city thrashing. Everyone is way too emotional and dramatic. It’s 3 points, it stings more given the manner and who it was. Do we not all want a more stable club with less jerking from one thing to another? Rebuild after rebuild etc? Agree we are poor lately but we were decent last year and I can’t see why we can’t get back to at least how we were last year then go from there. I am not wanting a big ole in/out debate but if he can change this round it will be the right decision, if he doesn’t ok it’s wrong but I just think given the options- let’s see what happens keeping him for now.
Less jerking? Just continue down the corridor and take the first left….
Security!

Son

How many lives does this cat have? Too many in my estimation. Get it gone.

Flytan

It's not 3 points. This game was the culmination of 3 years with no plan, no style of play, bad man-management, and lazy coaching.

Artimities

Just wait till we draw 1-1 against Tottenham.

I said this in jest, but honestly... I am worried. Tottenham when prompted can put goals on the board. If they come to play and we come to put our heads up our arses, then 1-1 might be wishful thinking.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
They are now in a position where they cannot hire a decent manager because that manager won't get the authority to make Ronaldo press off the ball by dropping him if he doesn't. It's the ultimate football versus marketing dilemma.

led_scholes

In all these circumstances, were we outplayed by everyone before the spanking? If yes, then you make have a point. But, I m afraid we (almost) all know the answer is not yes.

tomaldinho1

Depends what you mean. More positive than a whooping at home to Pool, it would be hard not to improve on that.

The issue is even if we fully recover, then go on a great run, beat Spurs, win in the CL, even beat City, you just know it will not last under Ole and the plunges in form will return. We have a great squad right now, we need to be challenging.

OT1214

It is the beginning of the end (of Ole's reign). Nothing more.

Bestielob

Losing 5-0 to Newcastle at St James Park is not comparable to losing 5-0 to our bitterest rivals on our own patch.
So a no here.

Kamau77

If the board is 'protecting ' ole, do they realise we're competing in a league that includes Pep guardiola, Jurgen klopp, Thomas tuchel, Marcelo bielsa, Brendan Rodgers......?

NK86

Thing is, the board doesn’t seem minded to change at this point, and Ole is sure as hell going to fight it out as best he can. If he can muster some resolve we’ve seen him put a decent run together before, more than once. I tend to believe if he survives to the international break, he’ll see out the season.
Issue this time is he seems to have lost some of the players too. That won't help him one bit, especially at this stage. The players were digging deep to pull us out of poor places time and again last season. It was never going to last forever. You know how bad we are when Shaw says he could see this coming. Imagine a player saying he could see a drubbing coming.
So no, no way in hell is Ole lasting the season.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
An attempt at positivity, I’d appreciate this thread being taken in the spirit it is intended.

In October 1996 Utd travelled to Southampton as reigning champions on the back of a 5-0 drubbing at Newcastle and ran out 6-3 losers on the day. Days later we lost to Fenerbache in the CL which cost us a 40yr unbeaten home record in Europe.
We went on to claim our 4th title in 5 years.

October seems to be a tricky month for us traditionally. A lot of our heaviest defeats are in October.

In 1999 we conceded 5 against Chelsea on 3 October and went on the win the league.

23 October 2011 we lost to City 6-1 and only finished 2nd on goal difference.

October 2020 saw the 6-1 debacle at home to Spurs. I wonder why we would struggle like this 2 months into the season?

Sunday was about as ugly as it gets, and there clearly isn’t a great feeling around the club right now, but sometimes you need a challenge or a little adversity to rally you and focus the collective. Could this humiliation be a springboard to brighter days as it has been in the past? ( and just so the thread doesn’t descend, let’s assume Ole stays shall we?)
While I get that fans are tired and want the next manager yesterday, no one can say with a straight face that they wouldn't be happy if there was some type of magical turnaround from this point.

If Bruno doesn't miss alone with Allison at minute '4 on Sunday, we're having a wildly different conversation. We lost and the result happened, but its fine to take into consideration how thin the line is between wonder and hysteria.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
I wish you luck with this thread.

Hoping for all our sakes it doesn’t bite you in the ass in a few weeks like my threads do.

May god have peace with you sir

Roboc7

The club are so incompetent that he could end up staying longer than three games, can never rule it out because they are so clueless.

Even before this season it was clear Ole had used up all his limited abilities, there was nothing more to come just more of the same with different players which was never going to be enough. Now he’s just a lame duck waiting for more bad results or club to find a successor.

Twisted Nerve

No. The difference is those were just blips during seasons of generally playing well. The recent blip was more than expected among several seasons of mediocrity.

PoTMS

There's a difference between positivity and delusional. Please don't get the two mixed up.

ToToMarshall

Positivity is often an important trait in moving forward, but negativity is too often given a bad rap. A serially battered wife needs to move on from her abusive husband -- the club needs to move on from Ole.
I don’t think drawing comparisons between domestic abuse and a man doing his his job as a football manager is particularly tasteful or appropriate. Maybe that’s just me.

Polar

If the manager, coaching team and player manage to hit back right now and perform as hell until Christmas, I think the OP is into something.

To be realistic…. I think it’s to late and it’s only matter of time before Ole leave his post. The match against Liverpool was a critical point. If the result was opposite, the boost would’ve been the other way and PL trophy next.

cabbs1989

It’s clear the ole is still in a job because the board do not trust the Available alternatives ie conte, they obviously know ole isn’t the answer but are prepared to stick with him until they have an appointment lined up, now this called be during the next international break or longer, we are in some sort of managerial purgatory.

YouknowNani

I have to waste one of my 3 newbie posts, just to say...No. That's some wishful thinking and mighty faith you have in fate repeating itself.

Rista

And how many times in recent years we've been in these shitty situations and it never amount to anything and we never bounced back? Optimism based on literally nothing. At least it's funny I guess.