Could this be the beginning of something?

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
An attempt at positivity, I’d appreciate this thread being taken in the spirit it is intended.

In October 1996 Utd travelled to Southampton as reigning champions on the back of a 5-0 drubbing at Newcastle and ran out 6-3 losers on the day. Days later we lost to Fenerbache in the CL which cost us a 40yr unbeaten home record in Europe.
We went on to claim our 4th title in 5 years.

October seems to be a tricky month for us traditionally. A lot of our heaviest defeats are in October.

In 1999 we conceded 5 against Chelsea on 3 October and went on the win the league.

23 October 2011 we lost to City 6-1 and only finished 2nd on goal difference.

October 2020 saw the 6-1 debacle at home to Spurs. I wonder why we would struggle like this 2 months into the season?

Sunday was about as ugly as it gets, and there clearly isn’t a great feeling around the club right now, but sometimes you need a challenge or a little adversity to rally you and focus the collective. Could this humiliation be a springboard to brighter days as it has been in the past? ( and just so the thread doesn’t descend, let’s assume Ole stays shall we?)

laughtersassassin

An attempt at positivity, I’d appreciate this thread being taken in the spirit it is intended.

In October 1996 Utd travelled to Southampton as reigning champions on the back of a 5-0 drubbing at Newcastle and ran out 6-3 losers on the day. Days later we lost to Fenerbache in the CL which cost us a 40yr unbeaten home record in Europe.

October seems to be a tricky month for us traditionally. A lot of our heaviest defeats are in October.

In 1999 we conceded 5 against Chelsea on 3 October and went on the win the league.

October 2020 saw the 6-1 debacle at home to Spurs. I wonder why we would struggle like this 2 months into the season?

Sunday was about as ugly as it gets, and there clearly isn’t a great feeling around the club right now, but sometimes you need a challenge or a little adversity to rally you and focus the collective. Could this humiliation be a springboard to brighter days as it has been in the past? ( and just so the thread doesn’t descend, let’s assume Ole stays shall we?)
With Ole? No it can't

We will eventually go on a run with good results as we have a team better than 95% of teams.

But other than that it's all just a bit of a waste of time

Kaos

You’re talking about a period where Sir Alex was the manager, and partly during an era that pre-dated the Glazers and Woodward.

So no.

ToToMarshall

I’ve totally lost capacity for optimism with this group of coaches and players moving forward. I can’t see anything changing and certainly can’t see us achieving anything good without change.

Flytan

No.

If he wins the next three games, hooray, the owners keep him and we'll be in the same exact situation 3 months down the road.

This is something that happens multiple times every season. This situation isn't new. The scorelines are getting worse, but the play is the same.

Ixion

I don't like making comparisons to Sir Alex, he's a different breed, and in 1996 had already won the League (England & Scotland), FA Cup, League Cup and Cup Winners Cup (twice) etc so he was proven and had plenty of credit in the bank.

El Zoido

It wasn’t a bad day at the office, it’s an issue with our entire setup and the way the team are coached to approach games. Everyone in the world could see it coming a mile off, yet the coaching staff still allowed it to happen. It’s because they don’t know how to organise a team any better, they’ve hit the limit of their abilities and that limit is FAR below the level required to actually win anything. So in what world will it ever get better?

Blood Mage

This is what the board are hoping too, but it ain't gonna happen this time. Ole still had the dressing room after the 6-1 last season, he doesn't anymore.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Sometimes I wonder if people forget that SAF was one of (if not the) the greatest manager ever.

Ralaks

Difference from this season to the others is that we have shown absolutely no reason to suggest the result is a deviation of the norm, rather than the new normal this season.

RedTiger

Half mast

I like your thinking and positivity.

MUFC OK

No. Why do some try to spin a positive out of the sh*ttest situation we’ve been in for years?

this ain’t a fairytale and we aren’t going to compete for/win a single thing with this pitiful coaching set up.

SAF’s influence needs to end once and for all and then we can truly hand over the reins to a top manager and join our rivals in the present day.

lex talionis

I really don't think so. In 1996 we had a manager who had already won trophies...even before he came to Old Trafford. Today United have a manager who struggles with the demands of the job, which to be fair all but maybe 10 of the estimated 7,577,130,400 (as of this morning, according to www.worldpopulationreview.com) are utterly incapable of handling as well.

Positivity is often an important trait in moving forward, but negativity is too often given a bad rap. A serially battered wife needs to move on from her abusive husband -- the club needs to move on from Ole.

Yes, we might get a dead cat bounce this weekend but this is too strong of a collection of footballer players to be wasted on a manager who cannot make it a squad that can challenge for the PL trophy.

Jackal981

Delusional. Maybe we can reverse it if a new manager is in helm starting today

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
It might be the beginning of the end of the Glazer business model. If they can't get a top four finish no matter how good the players are then there is something wrong in the heart of the club.

Plant0x84

Thing is, the board doesn’t seem minded to change at this point, and Ole is sure as hell going to fight it out as best he can. If he can muster some resolve we’ve seen him put a decent run together before, more than once. I tend to believe if he survives to the international break, he’ll see out the season.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
No. He's as done as an egg on the surface of the sun.

Deery

Dreary
It’ll be the beginning of something, a new managerial appointment is that something.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
Most serious title challenges come off the back of a 5-0 battering by your biggest rivals at home to be fair.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This thread actually made me angry, so if that's the spirit I was supposed to take it in then I'm 100% there.

Swedish_Plumber

We were defeated convincingly by rivals a few times under fergie but it was often out of the blue. The defeat on Sunday could be seen a mile off, even Scholes predicted it.

Oles not turning this one around. He’s gotten himself out of tricky situations against ‘harder’ sides to beat previously in his tenure, but that result on Sunday should’ve happened at Brighton last season. It’s been a long time coming. We rode our luck back then but it’s well and truly ran out.

Plant0x84

It might be the beginning of the end of the Glazer business model. If they can't get a top four finish no matter how good the players are then there is something wrong in the heart of the club.
That’s a really interesting (and quite disturbing!) viewpoint. I wonder how that scenario would be handled by the owners, especially given the change of CEO next year.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
The admins should seriously consider replacing the Redcafe logo on the top banner with large text that says "Ole isn't Sir Alex".

Insane how this has to be repeated in every thread.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
When the final whistle blew I smiled to myself and realized it was finally the beginning of the good times again.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Oh for goodness sake. No, it’s something that’s been coming for ages. Us getting battered is a common occurrence, luckily for the management team we somehow scraped through the majority of these games. It’s the beginning of the end of Oles managerial career. That’s what it is. He’ll never get another job in England after this anyway. Just wish the club would act faster and put him out of his misery for his and our sake.