Could this be the beginning of something?

b20times

As much as i love your positive outlook on things i just can't see this turning around. Even if we beat Spurs and Man City it will be papering over cracks.
Sadly Ole is hanging on by his fingernails and not much else.

LJJT

I hope Ole comes out swinging, wins the next few then sees out the season and we end it in a respectable manner (top 4 and ideally a trophy) Then if I was him I would tell everyone to shove it and resign given the majority of players and fans all seem pretty quick to Chuck him under the bus.

Red_Aaron

When you're rock bottom the only way is up I suppose

I expect a better performance against spurs but couldn't say it'll definitely be good enough to win.

I think he gets the next 3 games regardless
Should be win them all in a good fashion then who knows

Flytan

I hope Ole comes out swinging, wins the next few then sees out the season and we end it in a respectable manner (top 4 and ideally a trophy) Then if I was him I would tell everyone to shove it and resign given the majority of players and fans all seem pretty quick to Chuck him under the bus.
Yeah and then everybody claps.

spiriticon

You never know. He could go on one of his Ole runs of 10 wins in a row that will save his job and spark that title talk again, but at some point you know the bad form is coming again. Probably with a loss to Norwich or something like that.

He simply can't sort the consistency over a season out.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Spend hundreds of millions and fail to win anything is hardly something to be proud of. Losing 5-0 to your biggest rivals however, nobody will ever forget that.

LoneStar

Liverpool result won't be the worst. We have City to play soon.

And unlike Liverpool, Pep and City will not stop after 5 goals. It could honestly get much much worse. Also the fact that our fiercest rivals played in 2nd gear because they didn't want to injure their players and conserve energy is as humiliating as it gets.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
You never know. He could go on one of his Ole runs of 10 wins in a row that will save his job and spark that title talk again, but at some point you know the bad form is coming again. Probably with a loss to Norwich or something like that.

He simply can't sort the consistency over a season out.
Ten wins in a row? Have we ever done that? I’m sure after he was appointed permanently the most wins we’ve managed in a row is 5.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Is there no reason for the players and fans to chuck him under the bus? Do you think he's up to the job?

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Being positive around Ole today is mostly dillusional and only rival fans and pro Glazers has a reason for it.

spiriticon

Ten wins in a row? Have we ever done that? I’m sure after he was appointed permanently the most wins we’ve managed in a row is 5.
We managed 8 in the interim period. It might happen again. Unlikely but never say never.

Even 5 in a row now will save him from the sack. Probably. With Ole, there's always one part of the season where we look really good.

hatchetmac

Maybe Ole and his coaches will turn up with Jason halloween masks on scare the opposition to death.

redshaw

October 2020 saw the 6-1 debacle at home to Spurs. I wonder why we would struggle like this 2 months into the season?
Season started late, the 6-1 was just the third game due to covid. We also had no preparation. Harry had that court case ongoing and started very poorly. He played in that game just like the unfit not ready Maguire vs Pool and Leicester recently. You'd think Ole might learn?

We got beat by Palace 1-3 at OT first game. We were pinned in our own half for 10-15 mins. We started so poorly last season. The Brighton was second which we won after fulltime. Brighton deserved to draw at least on play. They took AWB to the cleaners and rinsed our right hand side. We could've easily lost that 4-2. First 3 games we got battered.

Last edited:

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I mean it seems you've hit rock bottom so it can only get better, right? Actually I think the crap football is going to stay as very little has changed in 3 years so no, the shit performances and poor results will continue unless something significant changes.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Wow, I think you need to log off and step away from the internet….. :nervous:
Come on now. This is a steaming dog turd of a thread. The opening post is like killing your brain cells through oxygen depravation.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
@Plant0x84

Good to remain positive because ultimately All we can really do is watch the match.

If we knew the Glazers or Woodward or Fletcher or even Ole - sure we could cry and try to influence the outcome but ultimately we cannot, we are just mostly random fans.

Think about the positives we have just gone through and If you are not happy with the manager currently like i wasn't when i couldn't stand Mourinho from the start to the finish - look forward and be positive about the next.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
That’s a really interesting (and quite disturbing!) viewpoint. I wonder how that scenario would be handled by the owners, especially given the change of CEO next year.
They would maximise the share value then start selling stock. They would do things like buying Ronaldo then flog a huge swathe of shares in the resulting stock market bump. Oh wait....

Revan

Assumptionman
Yes, we just need to give him 6 years and then he'll turn good. It is known that you can randomly choose any coach, give him 6 years, and he'll then be GOAT. SAF was nothing special to be fair, he was just given 6 years. It is a threshold that makes bad managers great ones.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
How did you expect the thread to go? Start of something? We're 3 years in. What's going to start now?
Obviously I knew a certain few would pile on, but I hoped it would spark a different discussion to the tidal wave of negativity we’ve seen if late.

Think about it, the boys have been humiliated and so has the manager. That’s got to hurt. Olé looked livid on Sunday. Not only was it a bad loss, but an abject awful performance. At home. Against our biggest rivals traditionally. Surely that’s got to light a fire under them all? Spark a change of ways? I mean if they cave in and our season ends with a whimper before it’s half way through then we certainly are in a dire state… doesn’t there have to be more than that when we generally agree our squad is as good as it’s ever been?

Artimities

I admire the positivity!!!!
I think the difference is that we still had an identity then. It seems that now, we are lost. Our offense is not fluid and look unorganized and somewhat in shambles. We are a step slower than the other team every time we take the pitch and often dont get up to speed until the 2nd half. We play out of the back with predictable passes and have essentially taught other teams how to beat us. Until we can change as a unit, I am afraid the L's will keep piling up. We can't score.. If not for Ronaldo, then who this year? We dont defend. Our captain shouldnt be our captain. I think that is the main difference.
A decent manager could fix a lot of our shortcomings.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
An attempt at positivity, I’d appreciate this thread being taken in the spirit it is intended.

In October 1996 Utd travelled to Southampton as reigning champions on the back of a 5-0 drubbing at Newcastle and ran out 6-3 losers on the day. Days later we lost to Fenerbache in the CL which cost us a 40yr unbeaten home record in Europe.
We went on to claim our 4th title in 5 years.

October seems to be a tricky month for us traditionally. A lot of our heaviest defeats are in October.

In 1999 we conceded 5 against Chelsea on 3 October and went on the win the league.

23 October 2011 we lost to City 6-1 and only finished 2nd on goal difference.

October 2020 saw the 6-1 debacle at home to Spurs. I wonder why we would struggle like this 2 months into the season?

Sunday was about as ugly as it gets, and there clearly isn’t a great feeling around the club right now, but sometimes you need a challenge or a little adversity to rally you and focus the collective. Could this humiliation be a springboard to brighter days as it has been in the past? ( and just so the thread doesn’t descend, let’s assume Ole stays shall we?)
I appreciate the fact you're trying to be positive, kudos and all that, but there is one glaring issue with your entire plan; OGS is not Alex Ferguson.

Sorry man, not happening.

Artimities

SAF had 6 years to show what he can do.
Ole has only had 3.
Hell, I have been a newbie in the CAF for 6 years.
Fire Ole and promote me....

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well, let's just say, I'd always keep an open mind in this.

But deep down we all know, whatever happens in the future, we are now just so fecking shite.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Obviously I knew a certain few would pile on, but I hoped it would spark a different discussion to the tidal wave of negativity we’ve seen if late.

Think about it, the boys have been humiliated and so has the manager. That’s got to hurt. Olé looked livid on Sunday. Not only was it a bad loss, but an abject awful performance. At home. Against our biggest rivals traditionally. Surely that’s got to light a fire under them all? Spark a change of ways? I mean if they cave in and our season ends with a whimper before it’s half way through then we certainly are in a dire state… doesn’t there have to be more than that when we generally agree our squad is as good as it’s ever been?
Fans can scream and shout all they want because, what do we know? But when players are coming out of the woodwork criticising the manager then that's the end game. There's no way back from that. What really can Ole do? Drop Ronaldo? Drop Greenwood for Lingard? Drop Bruno? Ole is in way over his head and everyone knows it and a few wins isn't going to change that.

IncyWincySpider

It's a good effort to find something positive, and it's interesting that so many poor results in the past have come in this month. I really felt that after the Europa shambles we would turn a corner, that it would be a boot up the bum for Ole and we would see a different approach this season. Maybe I just wanted to believe that. I don't believe any more, and to be honest I'm not particularly optimistic about the next guy either, assuming there is one any time soon. It really feels as though the club is doomed.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
SAF had 6 years to show what he can do.
Ole has only had 3.
Hell, I have been a newbie in the CAF for 6 years.
Fire Ole and promote me....
if Ole fails after 6 years, I am glad to take the job and show what I can do for another 6 years too.....

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Sometimes I wonder if people forget that SAF was one of (if not the) the greatest manager ever.
SAF was brilliant in Terms of the game as it was played in these islands - at his peak here, then, he had no peers. By the end of his tenure, his limitations as regards Europe were already apparent. Half the issue with OGS is the notion that if we play with the SAF philosophy we succeed.

Withnail

An attempt at positivity, I’d appreciate this thread being taken in the spirit it is intended.

In October 1996 Utd travelled to Southampton as reigning champions on the back of a 5-0 drubbing at Newcastle and ran out 6-3 losers on the day. Days later we lost to Fenerbache in the CL which cost us a 40yr unbeaten home record in Europe.
We went on to claim our 4th title in 5 years.

October seems to be a tricky month for us traditionally. A lot of our heaviest defeats are in October.

In 1999 we conceded 5 against Chelsea on 3 October and went on the win the league.

23 October 2011 we lost to City 6-1 and only finished 2nd on goal difference.

Sunday was about as ugly as it gets, and there clearly isn’t a great feeling around the club right now, but sometimes you need a challenge or a little adversity to rally you and focus the collective. Could this humiliation be a springboard to brighter days as it has been in the past? ( and just so the thread doesn’t descend, let’s assume Ole stays shall we?)
I admire your optimism but I can see no chance at all this gets turned around with the current set up.

Handsome Devil

No no no. Ole is the Norwegian Blue of parrots. Ed may have nailed him to the perch but he is not stunned, he is not pining for the fjords, he is not shagged out after a long squawk, he has ceased to be, he is an ex-parrot. Our team at the moment couldn't go voom if you put 4 million volts through them...
Apologies to Monty Python, Dead Parrot Sketch.