Could Utd be sold soon?

SirAF

Ageist
Can’t believe we have ten pages on the basis of a Mirror article!

Kostov

So being against (for example) women being stoned to death for adultery or kids being beheaded for attending a protest is just us being 'politically correct', now is it?

The absolute state of some of the posts on here today.
Were you this appaled or shocked when the US and Britain bombed and killed civilians around the globe? If you were, what did you do?

Kostov

Who's completely ignoring it though? How do we, as a people, bring about serious change government policy other than voting at election time for a more moral leadership? I voted for a party who said they would stop selling arms to Saudi Arabia, so did millions of other people.
Oh come on, it’s the way of things in the last fecking century. I’m sure every political party has got its chance. Go and count the number of countries US and UK have killed civilians in, in the name of democracy or whatever the latest pretext is.

The most brutal and hypocritical countries in the years gone by have been US and UK, it didn’t stop you supporting the club.

Kostov

No person can be aware of or make a stand against every evil in the world that their government is involved in mate thats obvious. Especially if they aren't political or didn't even vote for that government. But to have the attitude of ''oh well i can't change all the shady stuff the government is doing, so i just won't bother having a moral stance on anything else.'' makes no sense to me personally.

What sort of world would we live in today if everyone in the past had the attitude that if they can't change everything then then won't bother to try to change anything?

Everyone has their own moral compass, the world is many shades of grey, and it's up to every individual to decide where they draw the line. It's perfectly reasonable that for some that line will be the idea of something they love thats a huge part of their lives like a football club potentially getting bought out by a brutal regime behind some of the worst human rights atrocities in recent times.
I didn’t say everyone didn’t have a moral compass, that’s absolutely true. And that’s part of this shitty world we are living.

As you said what can you actually do? Stop supporting my greatest passion since I know of me? Because of the latest crook? Who can actually buy the club and is clean? Someone like Abramovic? Maybe some Chinese with a shady corporation behind him? Feck that, they are all the same. People are just being worked up. I just hope they are good for the club, everything else is out of our hands.

Eric's Seagull

Not sure if people would want Chinese owners but there are 7 people in China worth at least 10 billion, which is is enough to buy the club at 4-5billion and add significant investment if they chose to and saw us as some form of pleasure not just a cash cow.

MuFc_1992

Were you this appaled or shocked when the US and Britain bombed and killed civilians around the globe? If you were, what did you do?
So, unless you do something you have no right to be appalled? The reality is there's nothing most people can do except being appalled and horrified.

MuFc_1992

Not sure if people would want Chinese owners but there are 7 people in China worth at least 10 billion, which is is enough to buy the club at 4-5billion and add significant investment if they chose to and saw us as some form of pleasure not just a cash cow.
Do you think people are willing to put their entire net worth on a football club? when Roman did that it was only around >10% of his net worth.

Eric's Seagull

Although I'm not saying the Saudi's would be the best owners (not going to get into it) I think it would annoy both PSG and City, (I'm going off a conversation I had a few months ago with a friend who supports City). I am basing that on us already having won the Champions League and it seems that they are both obsessed with being the first nation from the part of the world to win it, to show that they are the "big man" as a form of prestiege. Does anybody think that their interest may wane when someone from a fellow state owns a club that has won the Champions League twice?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Out of curiosity, if the Glazer's are interested in transferring ownership (partial or full) to the fans at the right price, how many of you would buy in and what % of your savings will you comitt?

Assume that we'll move to a model similar to RM or Barca where fans get voting rights.
So the fans will get divident? Yes?

Eric's Seagull

Do you think people are willing to put their entire net worth on a football club? when Roman did that it was only around >10% of his net worth.
That is a hard question. I would think someone would want to keep some of their worth, although we might be lucky enough to find a football fanatic who is willing pump large sums into us or I think an option which could happen is that a family of extremely rich rich people might decide to buy us, with each of them contributing 'x' amount of money so that their personal wealth doesn't decrease by as much of a percentage as it would.

Bestietom

I hope they do sell for 4 and I hope it to a football fan, who enough wealth to get us challenging again and someone who sees it as a sense of pride to picking up the biggest trophies and not just as a way of lining thier pockets.
Whoever buys this club will make money in the long term. So the main outlook should be to win trophies, which would make the club even more richer for a resale in years to come. They really can't lose out.

Eric's Seagull

Whoever buys this club will make money in the long term. So the main outlook should be to win trophies, which would make the club even more richer for a resale in years to come. They really can't lose out.
I totally agree with this point.
It hurts when my two mates who suppport City and Liverpool constantly wind me up about how bad our season is going and it there is not a lot I can say back. I just hope the next person/people (who hopefully come soon) will have more ambition that than aiming for the top 4, which is not a position a club like ours should be in.

C3Pique

Truth is very few groups in the world capable of spending £4bn on a football club are likely to be great philanthropists. At that level of wealth you're going to be dealing with some very shady people. Murder, oppression, shady business practises, take your pick.

The idea that a group of wealthy united fans with the resources to buy the club from the Glazers exists is beyond fanciful. Unfortunately whoever buys the club next is likely to bring a new level of baggage with them.

frookydinho

I can see it now, Saudi offer an end to the boycott of Qatar only if they send Mbappe and Neymar to United. I'm all in

C3Pique

If that is the case, which it quite clearly could be. I think that we are going to have just accept who the next owner is and hoipe the interests of our club at heart.
We just have to hope that they buy the club with the intention of making it the most successful football club in the world. I'd prefer that to another set of Glazers who simply own it as a revenue generator and put profit above success on the pitch.

Eric's Seagull

We just have to hope that they buy the club with the intention of making it the most successful football club in the world. I'd prefer that to another set of Glazers who simply own it as a revenue generator and put profit above success on the pitch.
Totally agree with all of the above post.

I think we as fans deserve better after the dross we've been served up since Sir Alex retirement.

LoneStar

All these people who say the they could pump money into United, won't FFP stop this? I can see the football authorities taking this seriously when a club like United would be taken over by some billionaire.

It would allow us to spend all the money we earn though.

Eric's Seagull

All these people who say the they could pump money into United, won't FFP stop this? I can see the football authorities taking this seriously when a club like United would be taken over by some billionaire.

It would allow us to spend all the money we earn though.
Agree with this as I would rather us spending the money we earn in areas where it is seriously need rather than lining the Glazer's pockets.

Rory 7

Out of curiosity, if the Glazer's are interested in transferring ownership (partial or full) to the fans at the right price, how many of you would buy in and what % of your savings will you comitt?

Assume that we'll move to a model similar to RM or Barca where fans get voting rights.
If that was a genuine option I’d put my savings in, most of my savings. If other fans were to get behind it...

nainaisson

The Glazer parasites have drained £1bn out of the club's coffers that should have been used to create a squad comparable in quality to the squads of Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Juventus. I'd sell the club to Darth Vader if it meant we could get rid of them.

Andy_Cole

Yup as much as the hate we give City that’s what their owners do. Their number one goal is improving the club, be it with players, facilities. Whereas I don’t see that with our owners. Our number one goal is making money.

stevoc

I didn’t say everyone didn’t have a moral compass, that’s absolutely true. And that’s part of this shitty world we are living.

As you said what can you actually do? Stop supporting my greatest passion since I know of me? Because of the latest crook? Who can actually buy the club and is clean? Someone like Abramovic? Maybe some Chinese with a shady corporation behind him? Feck that, they are all the same. People are just being worked up. I just hope they are good for the club, everything else is out of our hands.
That’s a nice neat and convenient way of looking at things mate that would allow someone to rationalise not giving a feck. Unfortunately lots of people can’t and don’t think like that.

As I said the world is many shades of grey. And people like the Saudi royals shade of grey will be much, much darker than people like the Glazers. Everyone will draw their own moral line in the sand. And most people’s lines will be somewhere between those two groups.

Fortunately this story is nonsense but if it did happen i would have to have a serious think about whether or not i would be ok with people like that owning the club i’ve supported for going on 30 years.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Totally agree with all of the above post.

I think we as fans deserve better after the dross we've been served up since Sir Alex retirement.
How does changing owners to some rich Suadis help? Its not like spending money has been our issue since Fergie left.

Eric's Seagull

decorativeed

Oh come on, it’s the way of things in the last fecking century. I’m sure every political party has got its chance. Go and count the number of countries US and UK have killed civilians in, in the name of democracy or whatever the latest pretext is.

The most brutal and hypocritical countries in the years gone by have been US and UK, it didn’t stop you supporting the club.
I'm from Manchester. I live around the corner from Old Trafford. I was born in England. I have no choice in that, and I started supporting United - a club who have never been state owned or used as a political tool by any nation or party - before I had any concept of politics. I would imagine the latter part applies to most of us on here.

So the fact that the country I live in has - in the centuries before my birth and the first 18 years of my life - been involved in countless wars and atrocities is nothing I can do anything to change.

I can, however, voice my opinion at election time, in petitions and protests, and I can sure as feck express my opinion on a possible buy-out of my local club by anyone I please, just as I did with the Glazers and just as I am doing now with one of the most despicable regimes that currently exist in the present day.

Your arguments are completely disingenuous and you know it.

Last edited:

Eric's Seagull

How does changing owners to some rich Suadis help? Its not like spending money has been our issue since Fergie left.
Since Sir Alex has left you are right in saying we have spent money, although in my opinion not as wisely as we could. I think the problem is that we have had spent the bare minimum for us to somewhat compete eg hoping for Champions League qualification and collecting a minor trophy along the way as a bonus. When I personally think we should have spent whatever was needed to get bus fighting for the major trophies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Since Sir Alex has left you are right in saying we have spent money, although in my opinion not as wisely as we could. I think the problem is that we have had spent the bare minimum for us to somewhat compete eg hoping for Champions League qualification and collecting a minor trophy along the way as a bonus. When I personally think we should have spent whatever was needed to get bus fighting for the major trophies.
Poor spending and poor managers. Nothing to do with the amount really.

decorativeed

What a cunning line of questioning, that's guaranteed to bring out my utter hypocrisy when I say, yes, I was more than happy for my country to bomb and kill thousands of innocent people in the middle east and I was glad my income tax was helping to fund that. Because that's obviously the hidden gist of my previous posts... Well done Columbo!

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Lol at people saying fans would make a good owner.

Not always, some of us are to skint to pay for proper licensed match and choose to stream illegally. But here's a wishful thinking they'd somehow foregoing their rights for divident and invest them all back to the club out of love.

If i have a 400 million asset, invested 200m into united as a shareholder I too will be banging the table every year asking for my divident. If the ceo says no divident because we want to give de gea 500k per week I'd tell him to feck off (the ceo). Given the options of 1 premier league trophy or a hefty 5m divident I'd sure as hell choose the later.

Sometimes the fans arent the greatest owner. Imagine if there's somehow a lottery for the redcafe.net poster, one of them will be given manchester united. If it falls to me I'd straight sell the club and go on pension.

Now throw me some egg for being a money grabbing leech guys.

Andy_Cole

Genuine question. Couldn’t anyone get a loan and buy United? Obviously I know not anyone, but someone capable of getting that sort of loan.

If that someone was a huge fan and didn’t want any money from united, and so we spent all our profits on improvement. Also to service the debt.

Could that work?