Could Utd be sold soon?

MuFc_1992

Reopening the thread now.

No more personal attacks and accusing other people of racism just because they don't agree with your views.
Just a quick question, How are we supposed to discuss this topic without discussing current events involving Saudi Arabia? One of the mods cited that as a reason for locking this thread.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Just a quick question, How are we supposed to discuss this topic without discussing current events involving Saudi Arabia? One of the mods cited that as a reason for locking this thread.
Do it without insulting each other or calling each other racists without a reason.

Morpheus 7

I get the concerns of people in here. They are all a bunch of bstards in my opinion, I just want the one who will put more in to the club. That ain't the Glazer family. No point in every one getting in a heated argument anyway, it's not happening. As I said when the thread was just put up, we can't sell Darmian to a team that wants to buy him, he wants to go and we want to sell. Good luck waiting for this to happen.

Kapardin

Exactly. Whatever one's views on Brexit, that sort of whataboutery is amazing.
I honestly don't know why every Brexiter needs to be caricatured as a Barry Stanton type of figure. It is possible to vote for Brexit, or even oppose unchecked, illegal immigration while not being inherently racist. But I suppose that isn't relevant to football, so I won't go further on that.

Condemning child marriage, slavery, public stoning and beheading, murdering homosexuals, treating women as inferior property and dictatorship isn’t racist.
Yep, this really is the point. What is unavoidable is the fact that unlike the Glazers, whose purpose of buying United was to make money for themselves. They didn't buy United to make themselves look good to the world, Salman wants to buy United to improve his own image. So, he will undoubtedly use United as a vehicle to promote himself.

Also, there is no guarantee that every Sheikh will have generous pockets and be better owners than the Glazers.

No one is saying no Saudi's full stop.. that would be racism or more accurately xenophobic. They're just saying no to the actual Royal Family especially in its current form.
That's true. A couple of my friends are Saudis, and they are cool. They even take jokes about their culture easily and laugh with us. The objections only pertain to the Royal Family and the clergy in Saudi Arabia.

MuFc_1992

Condemning child marriage, slavery, public stoning and beheading, murdering homosexuals, treating women as inferior property and dictatorship isn’t racist.

To dismiss everybody who voted to detach from an exclusively white European Union dictatorship that presides over a predominantly white continent, to open the door to new trading and mutual migration with a diverse range of nations and races around the world, as racist, is incredibly stupid.
I agree with Bill Maher's view that Liberals in western world should champion the cause of oppressed minorities in these societies but instead they simply brand anyone who raise these issues as racist. No, wonder people like to hate on these snowflakes (This coming from a guy who bought a t shirt saying proud snowflake) .

The Last Jedaiiii

Exactly. Whatever one's views on Brexit, that sort of whataboutery is amazing.
You think that the EU isn't democratic ? Compared to Westminster?
You do know that there are credible rumours about paedophilia in Westminster among the Tories in particular. You think that this Tory government with their misogyny, human rights abuses and deployment of the term "final solution" are better than an institution that gives us rights?
Better than one which is cracking down hard on White Collar Crime? My word are you dense

Donk3y

The day this happens is the day I stop supporting this club.

The Last Jedaiiii

That could be true, but doesnt every owner of a business take money out of it otherwise why have the business in the first place if you are not gaining from it? I dont like the Glazers but them or anyone else who bought the club wouldnt just plough any profits back in to the business 100%
Unlike most owners, the Glazers bought the club through the bank and saddled it with debt. Football Clubs aren't like most businesses, although they should follow the lead to Unilever in rejecting leveraged buyouts

Kostov

It's not about a comfort zone is it? There are good reasons people are not able to just up sticks and move to another country.

For example, in my case, I don't have the wealth to do so. I own nothing. I don't work in a particularly sought-after field. I have no special qualifications.

Which of these magical, completely-innocent-throughout-their-entire-history, totally-liberal-paradise countries are going to want me? Oh, and offer the rest of my family a home and jobs too?

You're talking simplistically naive nonsense, mate.
This is why people from outside like me laugh at this kind of talks. You don't own nothing? Well welcome to the club. At least 400,000 of my people left for their homes in search for better life. They barely own anything either, but there's no other option. And a guy with a passport like yours, I'm sure he can move to a few places, but reality is, you won't get even near to the good life provided by a country like yours. And I'm not condemning you, I wish every country provides for it's own like Britain and US do, just not at an expense of other countries being left for ruins. Again I'm not condemning you maybe you have kids I'm not a parent yet and it's another thinking, it's easier said than done, but If you want something like that, you can make it happen I guess.

My own country is trying to get into NATO also, and the same people that want it, are the same ones mourning for kids dying in the middle east from NATO bombs. What I want to say is, it's a fecked up world we are living, and msot of us are part of the mess.

Kostov

Also, the current UK Tory government were voted into power on the strength of the votes from 13m people - just under 1/5 of the population. In your idealistic little world, in order for us not to be hypocrites in your eyes, the other 80% of us can simply move to Iceland, right?
You can't just count only the ones that voted for them, but total. And the total is almost 70%, that government is for all the people. Democracy and all remember, and not like the current actions are any different to previous governments also. The highest voting number in my own country has been something like 60% for example. No you don't need to move to Iceland, but you don't have to act so shocked about the Saudis. It's the same regime US and UK have been arming and supporting for the latest how many 60-70 years?

Coops73

Conspiracy bullshit time:

Perhaps this is why Woody didn’t release further funds for transfers, Fred, Dalot and Grant already being done before the Saudis showed their hand....odd isn’t it?

Beppe Marottas surprise decision to leave Juve....weird huh?

The Glazers supposed recent trips to Saudi...ooooh spooky right?

And Brexit...obvs

Kostov

Pozdrav brate

I honestly believe that most people do care but you can only know what you are told or shown. How can anyone know what it was really like unless they were here. Their governments don't care just like ours but I do believe that most people care but are lied to, just like us serbs by the Milosevic regime.

I saw the NATO bombs hit bridges full of civilians, even schools (they were empty, thankfully) with my own eyes so I didn't need the media to tell me what was going on but CNN reported that they had warned the civilians about the airstrikes ( I never heard a warning, neither did any of my close friends).

Someone watching CNN would have thought the people that died had it coming since we were "warned", which was completely untrue.

Maybe a bad example but that's just a thing I remember from the NATO bombings. All those bombs did nothing to remove Milosevic, we had to remove him ourselves in the end anyways.

As much as we want to believe that some media is free and unbiased it's far from it and unfortunatelly many base their opinions on watching or reading news.

I even do it myself knowing how full of lies they are.
People are definitely being misinformed and fall to propaganda so often. But imo very often, ordinary folk don't really give a heck until it hits their own backyard. They just go on with their lives.

I was like 6-7 when the bombings happened, I remember the planes, it was terrifying even for us watching from so far away. Nobody answered for those crimes and you won't hear about that on CNN or BBC.

And yes you are right media propaganda is one of the biggest evils out there, and people get mislead. I guess it's not their fault most often than not, I'm not sure. Even our own politicians use it which is the worst part.

Stay well my friend, all the best.

JohnnyKills

Sad thing is, it's probably going to be a shitty regime that buys us out. The club is so expensive that only a ludicrously rich regime would buy it.

Not sure which of these regimes, if any, I'd be happy with. China, Qatar and Dubai might not be quite as objectionable as the Saudis but they're not great.

The best hope is if a media megacorp comes in for us, similar to the Disney takeover by 21st Century Fox a few years ago. But given that such a deal would almost certainly be blocked by the regulators (indeed it was blocked last time Fox tried) they probably wouldn't waste their time.

Last edited:

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Conspiracy bullshit time:

Perhaps this is why Woody didn’t release further funds for transfers, Fred, Dalot and Grant already being done before the Saudis showed their hand....odd isn’t it?

Beppe Marottas surprise decision to leave Juve....weird huh?

The Glazers supposed recent trips to Saudi...ooooh spooky right?

And Brexit...obvs
I believe

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If we put morale aside( human rights in Saudi Arabia etc....), it would be great for the club. Money buys you success. It is simple. Why is City today that good? Because they spent money. They can spend 200 mil on 4 central defenders in last 4 years. They can spend 150 mil on 3 full backs in one transfer window. Same goes for Chelsea and PSG. They all owe everything to their sugar daddy. You just can't compete with that.
At the same time we have owners who put that "transfer money" in their pocket.

Last edited:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
No discussion of Brexit or EU in here. People will be thread banned from now. Discuss about Saudi regime as that's relevant but the Tory govt. in UK isn't.

Anduin

This has the feeling of 'no smoke without fire' ... it would kind of fit the conspiracy theory with us not spending much during the summer and the Saudis trying to improve their image in the Western world. I would not stop supporting the club, but being owned by a regime like that would be a hard one to take.

wolvored

Unlike most owners, the Glazers bought the club through the bank and saddled it with debt. Football Clubs aren't like most businesses, although they should follow the lead to Unilever in rejecting leveraged buyouts
That doesnt matter to the owners if you are looking at it from a money making business. This has probably happened to a load of businesses. Looking at it from the Glazers point of view and the shareholders, you can see where the priorities lie when the big question asked at the latest shareholders meeting was whether the sleeve sponsorship would affect the main shirt sponsorship. Nothing about how poor the results have been or whether Mou should be sacked or not.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
People are definitely being misinformed and fall to propaganda so often. But imo very often, ordinary folk don't really give a heck until it hits their own backyard. They just go on with their lives.

I was like 6-7 when the bombings happened, I remember the planes, it was terrifying even for us watching from so far away. Nobody answered for those crimes and you won't hear about that on CNN or BBC.

And yes you are right media propaganda is one of the biggest evils out there, and people get mislead. I guess it's not their fault most often than not, I'm not sure. Even our own politicians use it which is the worst part.

Stay well my friend, all the best.
It was a horrendous time and yes NATO carried out some terrible atrocities, I do not know about CNN but I do remember the BBC reporting extensively on civilian deaths and NATO 'mistakes'

a quick google search http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/340966.stm

It is very easy to call bias against media companies and they are not always correct but credit where credit is due.

But the BBC has not reported on a possible Saudi take over of United! So at the moment I would take the whole story with a pinch of salt!

Marcelinho87

The fit and proper test isn't some morality test. It is to test if the potential owner is actually able to financially run the club without running it into the ground.

Why would the PL care about what MBS does in his spare time, as long as the dough is there?

Needham

The fit and proper test isn't some morality test. It is to test if the potential owner is actually able to financially run the club without running it into the ground.
Why would the PL care about what MBS does in his spare time, as long as the dough is there?
So they'd let KJU buy a club?

decorativeed

You can't just count only the ones that voted for them, but total. And the total is almost 70%, that government is for all the people. Democracy and all remember, and not like the current actions are any different to previous governments also. The highest voting number in my own country has been something like 60% for example.
What are you on about? The percentage of the turnout that voted for the Tories was about 42%. In other words, more than half of the electorate voted for someone else. Unfortunately for us, the centre-left/left vote is split in the UK, which means years of Tory government on the backs of mainly rural areas voting for them.

Where you've plucked this 70% thing from, I don't know.

No you don't need to move to Iceland, but you don't have to act so shocked about the Saudis. It's the same regime US and UK have been arming and supporting for the latest how many 60-70 years?
I suppose I don't have to, but I have every right to, do I not. Except if I actually lived in SA.

And given my posts in here, you already know I disagree with the UK's support of the state. We've been through this already.

decorativeed

No discussion of Brexit or EU in here. People will be thread banned from now. Discuss about Saudi regime as that's relevant but the Tory govt. in UK isn't.
Oops, sorry. Read this after posting my previous reply to Kostov.

superdry

touched by a genius
We could build a massive sports complex for young players who won't ever get a chance of playing for us and have a team of foreign millionaires, who have no association or interest in the place they play.... it's friggin bad enough as it is.

Giggsyking

Well, for one, the current "regime" are purely businessmen and women. I'm sure plenty of United fans have a whole host of issues with them, most of which, are purely based on the way they operate the club as a business. The debt, the taking out of money, the takeover itself, few of us are fans.

What they haven't done, is bomb people into oblivion, beheaded a few dozen people recently, disappeared a journalist or a whole host of actions that should lead anyone to be at least concerned over such people taking over United.
Malcolm Glazers was one of the oil overlords who supported the war on Iraq in 2003 in attempts to have a piece of the iraqi oil cake, he was a friend of the war criminal G Bush and and his sons make fundraising for every republican candidate (lately Trump) to bully the world, they are not totally different from the Saudis and if they were living in the middles east I am sure they will act the same, in fact Afram Glazer is a good friend of MBS.

stepic

The success belongs exclusively to the Arabs - nobody with reasonable cognitive capacity regards it as a victory for Manchester; most City fans are just hypocritical sheep who soon gave up on the pride they took in being a ‘proper club’ once tyrannical charity came their way.

Clubs like Liverpool and Spurs show that you can be competitive with clever recruitment, faith in youth and recycling the funds you generate properly - their fans can take more pride in their relative success than blues can in whatever they win via £1b+ in handouts from an Amnesty-condemned Sharia state.

Ferguson’s dynasty was primarily built upon identity and principles; to abandon them in return for something as vulgar as joining the camel race with the other Arabian propaganda projects is shameful, and any fans who endorse such immorality might as well go and fill some empty seats at the Etihad.
The same Liverpool and Spurs fans most of the caf give **** to for not winning anything?

Yes City have bought their way to the league but come on, it doesn’t nullify a City fan’s joy of winning. That argument means no Barca or Madrid fan enjoy their own success either. Or Bayern fan, or PSG. I guess when we were the richest club in England buying all the best players off other English teams, we can’t enjoy those years either.

Fergie’s dynasty also relied on being one of the richest clubs in the world, too.

I imagine most fans of ‘proper clubs’ (lol) who have won feck all wouldn’t say no to foreign investment if they can get a bit more success. And there’s nothing wrong with that, short of bringing in a salary or transfer cap to help even out the competition.

Red4Ever

Cork; home of Cantwell, Irwin, Keane and Vidic-wel
The same Liverpool and Spurs fans most of the caf give **** to for not winning anything?

Yes City have bought their way to the league but come on, it doesn’t nullify a City fan’s joy of winning. That argument means no Barca or Madrid fan enjoy their own success either. Or Bayern fan, or PSG. I guess when we were the richest club in England buying all the best players off other English teams, we can’t enjoy those years either.

Fergie’s dynasty also relied on being one of the richest clubs in the world, too.

I imagine most fans of ‘proper clubs’ (lol) who have won feck all wouldn’t say no to foreign investment if they can get a bit more success. And there’s nothing wrong with that, short of bringing in a salary or transfer cap to help even out the competition.
Christ. We are not your average city fan

Fergie generated his own success as did clubs like Barca

And there’s plenty wrong with having this dodgy regime in charge

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's worth mentioning that United isn't and wasn't like most football clubs. The only comparable example would be Milan's purchase by Li Yonghong who also partially used a loan.

Denis' cuff

Didnt

Otherwise, spot on

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Football has turned to shit, hasn't it? I only watch United now because it's in my blood.