Cricket: ICC World Twenty20 tournament Sept 2007 in South Africa

Spoony

The People's President
Thought I'd mention that but for being unsure about the near-generalisation
It's awful here, when we have an international tourno. All these part time spastics join in. . .as if we're going to war or something. I blame Euro 96. Generally, fans of lesser clubs follow the national side, which is what you'd expect, really.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
It will. Now that you lot have won it, it'll take India by storm. That said, I must admit the 50 over WC feels like the real thing. This was a bit mickey mousy, but better than I expected. I was expected something a kin to the Hong Kong sixes.
Yes and the admins taking it up has not helped things. Eventually given ODIs won't extinguish after 32 years invested in them, T20 will just proved too much to sustain. Hooplah period will die down and once it is getting same crowds and TV money as ODIs, it will be gone.

crappycraperson

Scout
Nonsense, the tension was evident.India Pakistan always creates that....but its not the same thing as Tests or even ODI's.I remember how charged I was as a 9 year old in 96 when Prasad got that wanker Sohail out.
Yes, a bigger encounter means more tensions. But still as I said why would any Indian fan support Pak over his own team? No matter how much you hate that sport or format I would rather Bangla win it than Pak.

Salvation

Damnation
Completely different situation with international cricket. How did you feel about United fans supporting Liverpool in CL final? Even that was better, consider that thought if it was United-Liverpool final.
As I said PC crowd can pretend all they want, there is a rivalry between the two nations and supporting your arch rival over your own team in a final, be it a kabaddi match, is idiotic.
PC is being for the sake of it which I'm not

If you knew your history well (which I'm pretty sure you do), you'd know more about the existing situation

Salvation

Damnation
It's awful here, when we have an international tourno. All these part time spastics join in. . .as if we're going to war or something. I blame Euro 96. Generally, fans of lesser clubs follow the national side, which is what you'd expect, really.
It's the same in here...where people who don't care much about cricket (women...bless 'em) also try to get into the spirit of things trying to give two fecks

All that springs up from the general manipulation of patriotism and rivalry

crappycraperson

Scout
PC is being for the sake of it which I'm not

If you knew your history well (which I'm pretty sure you do), you'd know more about the existing situation
I sure know the history and despite what leaders of both nations may try to portray,I know the current situation as well. In fact, even if we reslove the K issue, Pak and India will remain long term rivals, Indo-Pak working together for the better of sub-continent is a pipe dream for those who have no clue of the current scenario in world politics.

Spoony

The People's President
Completely different situation with international cricket. How did you feel about United fans supporting Liverpool in CL final? Even that was better, consider that thought if it was United-Liverpool final.
As I said PC crowd can pretend all they want, there is a rivalry between the two nations and supporting your arch rival over your own team in a final, be it a kabaddi match, is idiotic.
well, for me, it's the biggest rivalry in football, perhaps even sport. You've obviously got a major rivalry with Pakistan, but I've seen pictures of Pakistanis welcoming Indian players and generally bending over backwards for their guests, and visa versa, when Indians have hosted Pakistan. I suspect both sets of fans have given their rivals a standing ovation, sometime in the past and all. But that would never happen between United and Liverpool. Although, Salv's position is a bit strange, perhaps he just doesn't hate Pakistan. I HATE Liverpool, and I can't help it. . .sometimes I wished that I didn't.

Perhaps people from both nations need to get some perspective. It's only a game.

mehro

Ass face
It's the same in here...where people who don't care much about cricket (women...bless 'em) also try to get into the spirit of things trying to give two fecks

I still don't see what's wrong with supporting your country. You're a mad bastard.

crappycraperson

Scout

That still doesn;t mean you should start supporting the opposition.
United got a lot of glory hunters, imagine someone at OT thinking atmosphere is shit and disillusioned with prawn-sandwich brigade, starts cheering for the opposition because they are the underdogs.
Are you having a laugh?

mehro

Ass face
well, for me, it's the biggest rivalry in football, perhaps even sport. You've obviously got a major rivalry with Pakistan, but I've seen pictures of Pakistanis welcoming Indian players and generally bending over backwards for their guests, and visa versa, when Indians have hosted Pakistan. I suspect both sets of fans have given their rivals a standing ovation, sometime in the past and all. But that would never happen between United and Liverpool. Although, Salv's position is a bit strange, perhaps he just doesn't hate Pakistan. I HATE Liverpool, and I can't help it. . .sometimes I wished that I didn't.

Perhaps people from both nations need to get some perspective. It's only a game.
Exactly. Forget the opposition for the moment, hell we just want to see our team win.

Champions.

Salvation

Damnation
I still don't see what's wrong with supporting your country. You're a mad bastard.
I'm not sure why I should be, again, this is edging towards an area which I couldn't be arsed to touch on now

That still doesn;t mean you should start supporting the opposition.
United got a lot of glory hunters, imagine someone at OT thinking atmosphere is shit and disillusioned with prawn-sandwich brigade, starts cheering for the opposition because they are the underdogs.
Are you having a laugh?
That's not the same. If you're at OT supporting United, you would, despite

crappycraperson

Scout

It's got nothing to do with hating Pakistan.

I lived last year in Torino. In our groups we were 3-4 Indians with one Pakistani and another Bangladeshi. In the end, the Pakistani was probably my second closest friend there. I won't call my self patriotic as well, hate many things Indian and toying with idea of living abroad. But we have a fresh history of acrimony with Pakistan and a lot of issues are still unresolved. As an Indian, makes no sense to me why you would support Pak over yourself. I can understand if it was Aus-Pak final and someone supporting Pak but against yourselves?

Salvation

Damnation
I sure know the history and despite what leaders of both nations may try to portray,I know the current situation as well. In fact, even if we reslove the K issue, Pak and India will remain long term rivals, Indo-Pak working together for the better of sub-continent is a pipe dream for those who have no clue of the current scenario in world politics.
Doubt the educated and well-opinionated youth of either countries give two fecks

Salvation

Damnation

As with any rivalry, the mind's is influenced at an early stage often enough not to have an unattached perspective, IMHO

crappycraperson

Scout
I'm not sure why I should be, again, this is edging towards an area which I couldn't be arsed to touch on now

That's not the same. If you're at OT supporting United, you would, despite
You don't have to support your country, though for a young democracy like India with a plethora of problems concerning the diversity of people, we need patriotism even if it is OTT.
It;s funny how you asked me about the history when you yourself seem completely out of touch with it.

So you can cheer on the opposition against United if you are watching on TV? Hey almost every team against United is an underdog, natural tendencies and all that.

Spoony

The People's President
It's got nothing to do with hating Pakistan.

I lived last year in Torino. In our groups we were 3-4 Indians with one Pakistani and another Bangladeshi. In the end, the Pakistani was probably my second closest friend there. I won't call my self patriotic as well, hate many things Indian and toying with idea of living abroad. But we have a fresh history of acrimony with Pakistan and a lot of issues are still unresolved. As an Indian, makes no sense to me why you would support Pak over yourself. I can understand if it was Aus-Pak final and someone supporting Pak but against yourselves?
Yeah, I appreciate it's a strange stance. Would you find it absurd if Salv were to support. . .say Aus over India, too?

crappycraperson

Scout
Doubt the educated and well-opinionated youth of either countries give two fecks
I hope they do. Otherwise country would be in big trouble if people can't be bothered to solve one of the biggest problem we face.

As I though, you are a a typical PC wannabe intellect from south.

Salvation

Damnation
You don't have to support your country, though for a young democracy like India with a plethora of problems concerning the diversity of people, we need patriotism even if it is OTT.
It;s funny how you asked me about the history when you yourself seem completely out of touch with it.

So you can cheer on the opposition against United if you are watching on TV? Hey almost every team against United is an underdog, natural tendencies and all that.
Difference being I support United, unlike India and cricket

Thought I've mentioned this, the F1 comparison, etc

mehro

Ass face
Anyway, ignoring Salv's mental problems, Sharma and Uttapa looked really good this tournament. And Gambhir, Pathan, Bhajji made decent comebacks. It'll be interesting to see who gets picked against the Aussies.

Salvation

Damnation
I hope they do. Otherwise country would be in big trouble if people can't be bothered to solve one of the biggest problem we face.

As I though, you are a a typical PC wannabe intellect from south.
I ain't from south, the rest is a e-judgment...said to be the most accurate of them all

I've already admitted to wanting to bum Sreesanth, what more do you ask of me?

zing

Zingle balls
I could respond to some of the inane bullshit spouted in this thread but I just got home and I'm still on a high.

Unbelievable.

crappycraperson

Scout
Yeah, I appreciate it's a strange stance. Would you find it absurd if Salv were to support. . .say Aus over India, too?
I would. I can understand when you don't like a sport and you don't care your country wins but you don;t support the other team.

It is completely different with Mancunians hating England football team. For starters it was not like that always. Events in last decade or two like Beckham after 98 getting the worst abuse I have seen from oppo fans. Then more importantly they have United as a team to identify with. Also don;t think if you had a major problem with say French over some issue right now, even United fans would cheer the French team over England.

crappycraperson

Scout
I can't believe I have wasted another hour of my life on an inane debate on this forum. fecking Internet.

Spoony

The People's President
I would. I can understand when you don't like a sport and you don't care your country wins but you don;t support the other team.

It is completely different with Mancunians hating England football team. For starters it was not like that always. Events in last decade or two like Beckham after 98 getting the worst abuse I have seen from oppo fans. Then more importantly they have United as a team to identify with. Also don;t think if you had a major problem with say French over some issue right now, even United fans would cheer the French team over England.
Well, yes. The game is all about clubs, local rivalries etc International football just doesn't feel the same. And I wouldn't say it was hatred, probably apathy if anything.

zing

Zingle balls
Well, yes. The game is all about clubs, local rivalries etc International football just doesn't feel the same. And I wouldn't say it was hatred, probably apathy if anything.
Mate, it's two different countries. That might be seen as the normal thing in England but most people here would think the English are right bastards for not getting behind your team. We don't see things the same way you do when it comes to supporting your team.

Spoony

The People's President
Mate, it's two different countries. That might be seen as the normal thing in England but most people here would think the English are right bastards for not getting behind your team. We don't see things the same way you do when it comes to supporting your team.
I support my team, United. I don't have proper passion for any other club/team, in any sport. Got a soft spot for Lancs, but it's hardly the same thing. Follow the national team too(cricket), but again it's not the same thing.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
I only posted an hour ago, come back and there's a few pages of 'crap' in this thread...

It's only a little crappy cup competition that nobody cares about! :smirk:

I'm still fecking gutted though. You don't know what it was like seeing him hit such a shot thinking it will go for a 6 only to come down in some Indians hand! :lol:

zing

Zingle balls
I support my team, United. I don't have proper passion for any other club/team, in any sport. Got a soft spot for Lancs, but it's hardly the same thing. Follow the national team too(cricket), but again it's not the same thing.
er
"We don't see things the same way you do when it comes to supporting your country."

that's what I meant to say

Salvation

Damnation
As per the metaphors, if you substitute 'Beckham' and 'Ronaldo' to hockey and football then you have a similar scenario to United and England with respect to Other sports in India and cricket in here

zing

Zingle balls
I only posted an hour ago, come back and there's a few pages of 'crap' in this thread...

It's only a little crappy cup competition that nobody cares about! :smirk:

I'm still fecking gutted though. You don't know what it was like seeing him hit such a shot thinking it will go for a 6 only to come down in some Indians hand! :lol:

trust me, i know how it feels like but i was supporting India

but well done to pakistan.. they're becoming a fantastic team.. amazing bowling