Cricket: ICC World Twenty20 tournament Sept 2007 in South Africa

zing

Zingle balls
You're hardly going to war. It's a game. Some are more passionate than others.
yes, but showing apathy when your country is playing is viewed with mild disbelief in India.. in England no one cares if you don't support your national team. That's probably why you don't understand where we are coming from.

Spoony

The People's President
yes, but showing apathy when your country is playing is viewed with mild disbelief in India.. in England no one cares if you don't support your national team. That's probably why you don't understand where we are coming from.
Well, actually I can. Perhaps those people need to get some perspective. That's my point.

Salvation

Damnation
Basic human emotions don't differ from country to country

It is a situation which Spoony, I feel, can very much relate to

VP

I'm happy India won but not as joyous as some of the guys on here, probably because I'm not that into cricket. But still Salv supporting Pakistan is bizarre. I don't understand how anyone can want another country to win. Obviously in football, it's a bit different where people have local clubs, so they don't really care about the national team. Still don't get how many non brazilians support Brazil in the WC though.

Anyway, I find this whole Indo-Pak rivalry a bit over hyped. I'd rather lose to Australia. The only problem with this victory is the media will seriously go overboard and jump on the 20/20 bandwagon. There'll be less test cricket. We'll have to endure countless highlights of this WC for the next 20 years. India Glorious, Dhoni's Greatest Innings, Yuvraj's greatest fifties.... And other sports will suffer.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
As per the metaphors, if you substitute 'Beckham' and 'Ronaldo' to hockey and football then you have a similar scenario to United and England with respect to Other sports in India and cricket in here
:lol:

You are soon going to find out that Ronaldo is going to take up a lot of media space soon. That boy loves the spotlight, no Scholes.

And your analogy doesn't really make that sense. Did you stop supporting Beckham during his last days at United?

crappycraperson

Scout
I'm happy India one but not as joyous as some of the guys on here, probably because I'm not that into cricket. But still Salv supporting Pakistan is bizarre. I don't understand how anyone can want another country to win. Obviously in football, it's a bit different where people have local clubs, so they don't really care about the national team. Still don't get how many non brazilians support Brazil in the WC though.

Anyway, I find this whole Indo-Pak rivalry a bit over hyped. I'd rather lose to Australia. The only problem with this victory is the media will seriously go overboard and jump on the 20/20 bandwagon. There'll be less test cricket. We'll have to endure countless highlights of this WC for the next 20 years. India Glorious, Dhoni's Greatest Innings, Yuvraj's greatest fifties.... And other sports will suffer.
Indo-Pak cricket rivalry is being ruined by over playing. Media generates a lot of hype over United-Liverpool as well but difference is they don;t play each other 20 times an year.

VP

Indo-Pak cricket rivalry is being ruined by over playing. Media generates a lot of hype over United-Liverpool as well but difference is they don;t play each other 20 times an year.
That's true. It's partly why I'm not into cricket that much. India play so many matches, it really doesn't matter. I'd prefer it if it were more like football. Domestic leagues and occasional international tournaments. But that'll require a huge revolution in the sport.

While on the topic of loyalties and all, a bit of a silly question, would you'll rather United win the CL or India win the cricket WC?

It's United for me.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I support my team, United. I don't have proper passion for any other club/team, in any sport. Got a soft spot for Lancs, but it's hardly the same thing. Follow the national team too(cricket), but again it's not the same thing.
My exact feelings...

I'd even root for any team against Englang at football, if I could be bothered watching international football. I blame the FA for my stance.

crappycraperson

Scout
That's true. It's partly why I'm not into cricket that much. India play so many matches, it really doesn't matter. I'd prefer it if it were more like football. Domestic leagues and occasional international tournaments. But that'll require a huge revolution in the sport.

While on the topic of loyalties and all, a bit of a silly question, would you'll rather United win the CL or India win the cricket WC?

It's United for me.
India for me, even though I prefer football way over cricket now. Simply because I know I will see United tasting a lot of success during my lifetime, not the same with India. On the other hand I have gotten used to India tasting defeat in cricket. I mean I would be more gutted if United won nothing this season that I would be if India got hammered down under.

crappycraperson

Scout
Well I find it strange when locals support clubs outside of the Manchester area. You'd be surprised at how parochial people are over here.
I really want to spend atleast one year of my life in or near Manchester so that I can experience a full year of following United with one year season ticket or something. As it is, I am going to target more Euro aways. Though I plan to make my first OT trip this season.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything

It's United for me.
United for me...

I'd even prefer Lancashire to win over England or India

Spoony

The People's President
I really want to spend atleast one year of my life in or near Manchester so that I can experience a full year of following United with one year season ticket or something. As it is, I am going to target more Euro aways. Though I plan to make my first OT trip this season.
Do it. You'll love it.

As for supporting teams/clubs passionately, does anyone sometimes wished they didn't? It's not like you can help feeling passionate. United losing really hurts, in fact spoils my week. . .you keep telling yourself that it's just a game, but you just know you're lying to make yourself feel better. I touched on the Liverpool rivalry, and yeah I really hate them, as I said earlier, sometimes I wished that I didn't, so I could just sit back and enjoy the game more. I know I'll die of an heart attack whilst watching United one day.

Shah786

Pain in the arse
fecking hell what a match.

Well played India, you cnuts ;)

Nice to see 2 young captains doing well for both sides, heres to a new era.

Lets hope Pakistan are applaued rather than have eggs thrown at them when they get back....most south asian cricket fans are tossers in this respect.

zing

Zingle balls
Do it. You'll love it.

As for supporting teams/clubs passionately, does anyone sometimes wished they didn't? It's not like you can help feeling passionate. United losing really hurts, in fact spoils my week. . .you keep telling yourself that it's just a game, but you just know you're lying to make yourself feel better. I touched on the Liverpool rivalry, and yeah I really hate them, as I said early, sometimes I wished that I didn't, so I could just sit back and enjoy the game more. I know I'll die of an heart attack whilst watching United one day.
All I can say is that you're better off with it than without it. I don't watch cricket often, but you probably feel the same exact way as I do when your team(Manchester United in your case, India in mine) is playing. This sort of passion is just exhilarating and out of this world. The feeling after you win something is just about unmatchable. I also know what the other end of the spectrum feels like because I watch football mostly in a detached manner. I'm as passionate about the game as you are, but I have no team to support. I feel a mild partiality towards Arsenal but it's NOTHING compared to what I feel like when India is playing. Watching a sport without a team is not unenjoyable -- I enjoy football as much as anyone, but nothing compares to having a team to support. I'm sort of contradicting myself but I don't know how exactly to put it. Consider yourself lucky.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
trust me, i know how it feels like but i was supporting India

but well done to pakistan.. they're becoming a fantastic team.. amazing bowling
Definitely we not only had four good bowlers but they all had a variation in them, in the main it was Gul - bias aside, I think he has been the best bowler of the tournament.

Either of the two sides deserved to win the tournaments more than any other for the way India have come on so strongly and the way PAK has played convincingly beating most teams. The two countries have really got their cricket back on track with this one and with a few more of the newer faces replacing the old it could bode well for both teams.

Congrats to India though, special mentions have to go to Yuvraj with the 6-sixes and Brett Lee with his hatrick...

I think that's about it for the entertainment cricket for a while... Next one is in 2009 in England...

crappycraperson

Scout
Do it. You'll love it.

As for supporting teams/clubs passionately, does anyone sometimes wished they didn't? It's not like you can help feeling passionate. United losing really hurts, in fact spoils my week. . .you keep telling yourself that it's just a game, but you just know you're lying to make yourself feel better. I touched on the Liverpool rivalry, and yeah I really hate them, as I said earlier, sometimes I wished that I didn't, so I could just sit back and enjoy the game more. I know I'll die of an heart attack whilst watching United one day.
I remember when we drew that game at home to Boro last season which meant Chelsea would close the gap to one point if they win at Newcastle. I was absolutely distraught untill I finally saw Newcastle hold them for a draw. It's still great though, the range of emotions you go through following a team.

crappycraperson

Scout
It does perfectly to me

A bit of dislike towards Beckham, yes
Looking back at the debate, I was a bit OTT at times and was too harsh on you, Salvatore. Reckon lot of it stemmed from debate of similar ilk regarding India with the southern community I encountered during my stay in Italy. Sad to say that experience left me with some genuine dislike of typical south Indians. Strange as my best two mates from College have tamil and mallu origins though they were brought up in Delhi.
No harsh feelings I hope.
Anyway I am not sure how old you are. My feelings on lot of things in India have changed a lot constantly from when I was 16 to now when I am 22. With my friends going to work in different places, one going to army, myself having an experience abroad. You will find it yourself soon enough I reckon.

crappycraperson

Scout
Crappy, what's your major? I'm trying to find someone who's doing international relations, need some advice for my sister.
hehe....I am an engineer, doing my masters in same field. If it relates to higher education, still pm me. I know of a lot of people doing different courses around the world so may be able to help.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Great stuff. Really could've gone either way.

Now where's the Dumpster?
I'm here thanks for keeping me in your thoughts (after India lost that is). :)

What a frucking game. This is why world cups are sh*t if Pakistan and India don't make the semis of every version. Easily eclipsed the 50-over version last year, or whenever it was (can't even remember it now).

Congratulations Mehro, Crappy, Punjabi, Sultan and all you other Indians.

Commisserations to myself, Zidane and of course Hapi :p.

I'm really excited by the future of Pakistani cricket at the moment. Haven't been this excited since 1999. Misbah Ul Haq is the next Michael Bevan, what a finisher. :D Tanvir's sixes weren't bad either. :D

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
You have to feel for Pakistan. I would have been gutted and down for days if we had lost this in this manner.
When Misbah got caught I could have sworn it was going for a four at least. Stupid cameraman! My dad and I were totally gutted. But we've not been down since. There's just too much promise to let this get us down.

I can't wait to play South Africa and I can't wait for next Saturday when Australia come round for some revenge in the what will seem like the test match version of 20/20. :)

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
I'm here thanks for keeping me in your thoughts (after India lost that is). :)

What a frucking game. This is why world cups are sh*t if Pakistan and India don't make the semis of every version. Easily eclipsed the 50-over version last year, or whenever it was (can't even remember it now).

Congratulations Mehro, Crappy, Punjabi, Sultan and all you other Indians.

Commisserations to myself, Zidane and of course Hapi :p.

I'm really excited by the future of Pakistani cricket at the moment. Haven't been this excited since 1999. Misbah Ul Haq is the next Michael Bevan, what a finisher. :D Tanvir's sixes weren't bad either. :D
It's funny you say that I actually feel the same.

I can't say it's one thing more than the other but more of a combination of things... A lot of my mates for the first time aren't even the slightest bit pissed off at the result either - hopefully PAK really have turned a stone here...

Sohaily baby's amazing sixes... I was buzzing off him.. he's bowled well through the tournament as well. feck knows where they found him from!

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Apparently Tanvir is an allrounder and we've yet to discover this fact (the 2 sixes was a good introduction :D). He was doing well against Australia A (who we wiped the floor with in ODIs) before being called up as replacement for Shoaib Akhtar (who? ;)).

I'm usually extremely p*ssed by Pakistan when we lose. Why doesn't Inzi bat higher up? Why have we not changed our openers? Why is Naved Ul Hasan constantly picked to play just because he has a beard? were some of the questions that had me ripping my hair out.

But now Salman Butt, our vice captain, has two bad games and he's dropped. Amazing, that's never happened before. And the team visibly saw they had to play well for their places. Look how that worked out for Imran Nazir. :D It could just be a new beginning....watch this space though :nervous:

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Apparently Tanvir is an allrounder and we've yet to discover this fact (the 2 sixes was a good introduction :D). He was doing well against Australia A (who we wiped the floor with in ODIs) before being called up as replacement for Shoaib Akhtar (who? ;)).

I'm usually extremely p*ssed by Pakistan when we lose. Why doesn't Inzi bat higher up? Why have we not changed our openers? Why is Naved Ul Hasan constantly picked to play just because he has a beard? were some of the questions that had me ripping my hair out.

But now Salman Butt, our vice captain, has two bad games and he's dropped. Amazing, that's never happened before. And the team visibly saw they had to play well for their places. Look how that worked out for Imran Nazir. :D It could just be a new beginning....watch this space though :nervous:
Yeah pretty much what I was thinking... I heard they got that Sohail guy from the domestic 20/20 scene because he did well there but surely we will see him more often now.. I'm beginning to think Shoaib can just feck off for the good of the team now even though he is still a good bowler...

Now with all this 'bigging up' no doubt PAK will feck up somewhere along the line somewhere :D

Still the tests will be hard without the experience of Inzy & Yousuf - they won't play because they've joined that rebel Indian league...

Salvation

Damnation
Looking back at the debate, I was a bit OTT at times and was too harsh on you, Salvatore. Reckon lot of it stemmed from debate of similar ilk regarding India with the southern community I encountered during my stay in Italy. Sad to say that experience left me with some genuine dislike of typical south Indians. Strange as my best two mates from College have tamil and mallu origins though they were brought up in Delhi.
No harsh feelings I hope.
Anyway I am not sure how old you are. My feelings on lot of things in India have changed a lot constantly from when I was 16 to now when I am 22. With my friends going to work in different places, one going to army, myself having an experience abroad. You will find it yourself soon enough I reckon.
I have southern roots, but that was two generations ago. My grandparents are/were the closest thing southern. I hate the typical southern mentality of going abroad at all costs and settling there and all that bollocks and generally having a narrow perspective on things

I have never felt the urge to leave the country forever. Maybe for studies as I am currently looking for, but that's true for anyone cos the quality of education, especially for the economic capital of the country, is piss poor. But you can't help it cos the state education has to cater everyone from remote villages to city slickers and the central board, wasn't as prominent as it is in the capital

I've always felt anyways that you're born already with thousands of divisions bestowed upon you. Humans are humans, they are born such. Other titles like your nationality, religion, caste, etc, etc, is all stemmed. Often these are the issues that divide people. I probably think this way cos one of the earliest childhood memories of mine is the tension in the house when me mum was wandering in the market when curfew was imposed. Hence the earliest lesson I learnt was about how much divide there is in society

I'm going waaay of from a feckin' 20-20 game of cricket, but this is the top most of the things that I was not meaning to talk of but have done so now

Cold_Boy

Why the feck do you find the need to hate all things Pakistan?

The fact that 800,000 other sports including the national sport is ruined 'cos of a game that the nation still isn't the best at speaks volumes of how obtuse people can get

I was happier when we won the Nehru Cup
Agreed.But..............

Though yesterday was fun.And how you can not support your own country in whatever sport it is is beyond me.:confused:

VP

I have southern roots, but that was two generations ago. My grandparents are/were the closest thing southern. I hate the typical southern mentality of going abroad at all costs and settling there and all that bollocks and generally having a narrow perspective on things
:rolleyes: You think North Indians are very broad minded and don't want to live abroad?

bigredmachine

Running smooth
That's a load of crap. There are more Punjabis settled outside india..

fecking Malayalees in the gulf don't count as they can't really settle there.

Don't hate on the sauf...:)

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Right, circus over, back to real cricket.The Aussies are over soon.Then its the Pakis...right?