Cricket

zing

Zingle balls
Looking like a hammering. On to the next one..

Shame we keep picking up injuries.

AshRK

As I said playing slowly is all fine only if you score big. But the approach that Pujara adopts and to have a strike rate of 28 after playing 177 bowls just adds pressure and gives incentive to the bowlers. Look at smith and labushange this inning and how they are not allowing Ashwin to settle down. You need to punish bad balls and pujara was just leaving the bad balls too. Also his average in last 2 years is less than 30. That is unacceptable for a top order batsmen.

Vihari should be thrown out. A nothing player who for some reason kohli and shastri love. 4 runs off 36 balls and then getting run out. Poor stuff by Indian batsmen and we have literally thrown away the gamw thanks to our defensive approach and defending even the old ball.

freeurmind

weak willed
Paine needs to be banned for verbal abuse of the umpire. This is not football.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Pujara is a hard one tbh . Considering how bad some of the other batting is ,you can't really question Pujara but number 3 in test cricket needs to be scoring big runs . Pujara was always solid but I am not sure he was this defensive in the past . In his current style he needs the team to bat 120 overs + for him to get a hundred, but the rest of the batting & Aussie bowling don't allow that . It's good to put a price on your wicket but it's a team game & so you need to bat the situation too.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
This Aussie bowling Unit does hunt as a pack, Still not a fan of Starc in red ball cricket (would rather Pattinson in)

Pujara batted to slowly this innings imo

JohnnyKills

It is about to end in a few months, the final is supposed to be June 21.

Add Kohli to India, and add Warner to Aus (who is very good in non-swinging conditions).
Read online that it's a four-year tournament, but happy to concede that I'm wrong!

Kohli wouldn't solve India's problems at the top of the order and they'd still be lacking a number 6. And Warner wouldn't fill Australia's hole from 5 to 7.

freeurmind

weak willed
What did he do?
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...-land-paine-in-hot-water-20210109-p56suv.html

When Wilson was asked to keep his original decision, Paine protested to the umpire that the off-side angle of Hot Spot needed to be more closely examined.
Wilson said to an upset Paine: “[Oxenford is] making the decision, not me, I’m not the third umpire,” before the Australian captain let rip.

“F---ing consistency, Blocker,” Paine was heard saying over the microphone. “There's a thing that goes past [the bat].”
Wilson stood his ground as Paine went back behind the stumps to finish the over. He was clearly still fuming at the decision and continued to mutter grievances.

“There was definitely a thing on Hot Spot,” Paine said behind the wicket. “What’s the f---ing difference? Or Snicko.”
Paine's comments could lead to him being fined under the International Cricket Council's code of conduct - or even suspended from the fourth Test if it is judged serious enough.
Sections 2.3 and 2.8 of the code relate, respectively, to the "use of an audible obscenity during an international match" and "showing dissent at an umpire's decision during an international match".
A level one offence would result in anything from a warning to being fined 50 per cent of his match fee but, if match referee David Boon found Paine guilty of a level two indiscretion, he could receive up to two suspension points, which would rub him out for the fourth Test.
Section 2.3 of the code of conduct covers "the use of words commonly known and understood to be offensive, obscene and/or profane (in any language) and which can be heard by the spectators and/or the viewing public whether by way of the stump-microphone or otherwise".

Section 2.8 relates to "excessive, obvious disappointment with an umpire's decision" and says when determining the seriousness of the breach, match officials should consider "whether the conduct contains an element of anger or abuse which is directed at the umpire or the umpire’s decision" and "whether there is persistent re-reference to the incident over time".

zing

Zingle balls
Pujara is a hard one tbh . Considering how bad some of the other batting is ,you can't really question Pujara but number 3 in test cricket needs to be scoring big runs . Pujara was always solid but I am not sure he was this defensive in the past . In his current style he needs the team to bat 120 overs + for him to get a hundred, but the rest of the batting & Aussie bowling don't allow that . It's good to put a price on your wicket but it's a team game & so you need to bat the situation too.
I think like all other batsmen, he should be judged on averages. The strike rate becomes irrelevant when he scores well. He's not doing that now - and for that reason, I would ask questions of him.

Today, no one would be questioning his strike rate if he'd made 100. It becomes a lightning rod for criticism only when he scores poorly - it's been a shadow all his career.

zing

Zingle balls
Thanks - that should be a ban.. very rare to see a captain speak like that.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
I reckon India would be better with Rohit at 5 and Agarwal opening. Ashwin's batting form is a problem too. Averages 8 since 2019 and makes it a very long tail at the moment. Ishant's stubbornness in the tail is also missed.

Still tough to criticise a team missing their gun batsman and 2 most senior quicks, every other side in the world would have completely folded after Adelaide.

Last edited:

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I reckon India would be better with Rohit at 5 and Agarwal opening. Ashwin's batting form is a problem too. Averages 8 since 2019 and makes it a very long tail at the moment. Ishant's stubbornness in the tail is also missed.

Still tough to criticise a team missing their gun batsman and 2 most senior quicks, every other side in the world would have completely folded after Adelaide.
We need to get rid of Vihari. Don't rate him at all.

Alas, with the injuries we've picked up, its incredible that we've made it this far and its only 1-1. We lost Ishant before the series and Shami and Yadav during - I didn't think we could overcome those losses. No doubt that the three of them are already up there with our best fast bowlers ever. Our batsmen are OK but the faith lied with our bowlers to get us through this series.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
India picking up injuries hampers, but that should not distract from their batting deficiencies. Australia on their turn much improved thanks to Smith and Labuschagne picking up some form. I suspect the Ozzies will take the series fairly comfortably now.

Dudu

Unusual number of injuries this tour. Half of bowling line-up.
Obviously fitness/misfortunate play a part, but quarantine and being in a bubble are a factor in this. Can't condition bowlers like usual, particularly to handle the stress of a 5 day game.

I mean SL basically lost half their playing 11 in their tour of SA, and had to play multiple debutants in the 2nd Test.

JohnnyKills

We need to get rid of Vihari. Don't rate him at all.

Alas, with the injuries we've picked up, its incredible that we've made it this far and its only 1-1. We lost Ishant before the series and Shami and Yadav during - I didn't think we could overcome those losses. No doubt that the three of them are already up there with our best fast bowlers ever. Our batsmen are OK but the faith lied with our bowlers to get us through this series.
Trouble is, who do you play instead of Vahari though?

Seems like India have got their strongest Test bowling roster of all time and their weakest batting roster!

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
Obviously fitness/misfortunate play a part, but quarantine and being in a bubble are a factor in this. Can't condition bowlers like usual, particularly to handle the stress of a 5 day game.

I mean SL basically lost half their playing 11 in their tour of SA, and had to play multiple debutants in the 2nd Test.
Not sure if fitness can be attributed in these cases with IPL acting as buffer. Just the freakishness of some key players being affected. Sami was big loss.

But in general, can imagine quarantine environment being a factor.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Trouble is, who do you play instead of Vahari though?

Seems like India have got their strongest Test bowling roster of all time and their weakest batting roster!
Johnny, we don't agree on a lot of things but I reckon you're spot on there. Our batting lineup is going though a massive transition and losing Kohli doesn't help.

My strongest possible XI would be:

Gill Rohit Pujara Rahane Pant Pandya Jadeja Ashwin Bumrah Saini Siraj.

Shocking we don't have Pandya in the test team.

JohnnyKills

Johnny, we don't agree on a lot of things but I reckon you're spot on there. Our batting lineup is going though a massive transition and losing Kohli doesn't help.

My strongest possible XI would be:

Gill Rohit Pujara Rahane Pant Pandya Jadeja Ashwin Bumrah Saini Siraj.

Shocking we don't have Pandya in the test team.
There's no problem with friendly disagreement! :)

Yeah i like Pandya too. His bowling is a bit weak though.

What happened to Nair, the guy who scored about 300 against England a few years ago? He looked like he was going to be in the team for years.

AshRK

If there was ever a flop of the match award, Vihari will get that in this match hands down. Not scoring and now dropping sitters.

JohnnyKills

If there was ever a flop of the match award, Vihari will get that in this match hands down. Not scoring and now dropping sitters.
Out of a billion people, you've got to think there's someone better than him.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I just love to watch Steve Smith bat.... I know people say he's ugly or unconventional but I always find his technique/style of play interesting to watch.

MDFC Manager

Considering vihari is not even bowling, pandya would have been much better.
Exactly.

Bumrah not having a great series isn't helping at all. And as far as this match is concerned, we're already but chasing these runs on the board.

paulscholes18

Not saying England will win the Ashes, but Australia only seem to have an outstanding top 4, 5 downwards they look weak with Wade, Green (ok he’s new to test match cricket) and Paine (who’s a pure WK captain). If you get 3 early wickets you could well be in business.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Not saying England will win the Ashes, but Australia only seem to have an outstanding top 4, 5 downwards they look weak with Wade, Green (ok he’s new to test match cricket) and Paine (who’s a pure WK captain). If you get 3 early wickets you could well be in business.
I think Pucovski will be a good player for the Aussies, I know its his first test but he's been knocking on the door for a while with some big scores in domestic cricket.

jungledrums

I think Pucovski will be a good player for the Aussies, I know its his first test but he's been knocking on the door for a while with some big scores in domestic cricket.
Yeah, he’s got huge potential.

Agree in part, but I’d say that’s not dissimilar to any other batting lineup in world cricket. Middle order needs sorting but the Australian top order and bowling attack is, in my (biased) opinion, the best in the world.

Sanche7

No team can win with so many injuries, especially away against a quality side. No Bhuvi, Ishant, Shami, Umesh, Kohli and now Jadeja and probably Pant are injured too. If Jadeja and Pant are out injured for the final test, i don't think India will have much of a chance to level the series.

paulscholes18

Yeah, he’s got huge potential.

Agree in part, but I’d say that’s not dissimilar to any other batting lineup in world cricket. Middle order needs sorting but the Australian top order and bowling attack is, in my (biased) opinion, the best in the world.
Yes, agree with what you say about the Aussie top order and bowling, even just between Smith and Labuschagne they will out score most opposition’s top 4.

SinNombre

Exactly.

Bumrah not having a great series isn't helping at all. And as far as this match is concerned, we're already but chasing these runs on the board.
It is hard for a quick to bowl well without control from the other end. He is missing India’s 2nd, 3rd and 4th choice quicks.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Why are you always so aggressive when it comes to England? Still can't get over the world cup choke?
Haha what?

You keep on coming with your deluded nonsense about England are strong and then you suddenly decided that WTC is a four year competition. It's hilarious how wrong you are.