Cricket

ChrisNelson

Fantastic win for India.

Imagine being the guy that said "I can't wait to get you back to the Gabba".... then being the losing captain.

This leaves the door wide open for Paine to be removed as captain and I wouldn't be surprised if Cricket Australia walk straight through it.

Nothing surprises me about Australia and this just stinks of Smith being reinstated as captain.

His leadership ban has long expired and they won't pick themselves up from this loss with Paine at the helm.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Who will become Australia captain if Paine is removed? I don't think they have any option unless they want to go back to Warner or Smith.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Shubman... wow. I hope this guy turns out as good as hes threatening to be. He looks far better than Virat when he broke into the test scene in the West Indies. I'm excited to see how his career pans out.

The series against England is going to be a cracker. Can't see us easing past them. This is maybe the most competitive test cricket has been ever.

AshRK

Thank you Paine for your efforts in making this series so special for India.

sport2793

Wow looking at Ponting's quote, I would think his job security at Delhi Capitals has to come into question (regardless of their recent success) considering his best player won the match today. If I was one of them (i.e. Pant, Shaw) I would tell him to f*ck off.

jungledrums

Who will become Australia captain if Paine is removed? I don't think they have any option unless they want to go back to Warner or Smith.
Cummins has been touted as a potential successor. Would be unusual to have a paceman at the helm though.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind seeing Smith back in the role. Easily our best player and probably our best tactician too.

Mindhunter

Fantastic win. More that anything its a testament to how far the Indian team has come mentally. We were known chokers and always got bullied by the big boys tactics the Australians employed. Some players would have lost the test match even before a ball was bowled.

That started changing under Sourav Ganguly but this breed of young players are fearless and almost dismissive of prior reputation. They believe in themselves and took everything that was thrown at them as a challenge and never stopped believing. Incredible to see debutants doing this for the first time in Australian soil.

Imagine who would have featured if Ponting, Vaughn, and the so called experts were asked to name a team capable of ending Australia's unbeaten run at the Gabba. Surely not blokes like Siraj, Washington Sundar, and Pant?

sport2793

Cummins has been touted as a potential successor. Would be unusual to have a paceman at the helm though.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind seeing Smith back in the role. Easily our best player and probably our best tactician too.
Whew you sure about that? Would be a bad look for Aussie cricket putting him back in that role imo. Will always remember the first press conference he gave after Newlands when he showed zero contrition for his actions, was borderline psychopathic really. Well now that I think about it, the second press conference he gave right after that was fairly memorable too.

jungledrums

Whew you sure about that? Would be a bad look for Aussie cricket putting him back in that role imo. Will always remember the first press conference he gave after Newlands when he showed zero contrition for his actions, was borderline psychopathic really. Well now that I think about it, the press conference he gave right after that was fairly memorable too.
Nah, can’t say I’m sure. You’re probably right, but Smith (unlike Warner) doesn’t seem like a bad bloke.

I guess Cummins becomes the obvious choice then. @Cooksen?

JohnnyKills

Imagine Pant being in and out of this team since his heroics in 2018 (Eng and Aus). The fact that he wasn't even in the first test shows how stupid our management can be.

Unbelievable. People here seem to be hesitating in calling this our greatest performance. I think we've eclipsed Kolkata 01/02. This is our greatest ever test performance. Gill and Pant are fecking special. Rahane is a magnificent captain.
I guess old-timers would say the first-ever win in England (1971 I think?) would be up there, just for the symbolism of beating the old colonial master. But yeah, it's a hugely impressive win.

I'd stick with Rahane now - have been saying for a while that Kohli should be allowed to focus purely on his batting - but I doubt the Indian selectors will.

JohnnyKills

Leeds 2019, Sydney and Brisbane 2021 will go down as very bad results for him

Hell if it was not for Smith going god mode in the ashes 2019 Australia was easily going to lose that series.
Looking back, the Ashes draw in England was a massive disappointment from Australia. Playing against a team which was still coming down from the World Cup win, without a settled opening partnership or number 3...

As you say, England would have won without Smith.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I have watched my fair share of Indian cricketing feats, this is probably right up there with the World Cup. What a fecking comeback. What a performance. Still can't believe what I've seen.

I doubt I'll see a better Test performance in my lifetime. Gill, Siraj, Pujara, Pant and Rahane should go down as legends even if their career nosedives from here.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Whew you sure about that? Would be a bad look for Aussie cricket putting him back in that role imo. Will always remember the first press conference he gave after Newlands when he showed zero contrition for his actions, was borderline psychopathic really. Well now that I think about it, the second press conference he gave right after that was fairly memorable too.
Its not even the looks that will stop Smith getting captaincy back, Even before the ban he was considered to be a good tactician and captained off emotion.

But he will be the only guy who is 100% nailed on for selection and is now older and more relaxed.

With him being a fast bowler it could be too much of a work load.

JohnnyKills

England must take massive heart from this too.

Still think Australia are a marginally better team, but they're nowhere near as strong as people have been making out over the last few months. Only 3 of this side (Smith, Labuschagne and Cummins) would have got into that amazing team they had at the start of the Millennium. They've got a good bowling unit and an average batting lineup, held together by two excellent players.

Will be interesting to see how Lyon comes back from this now. First time he's really been taken down in test cricket. I'm sure many England fans will be enjoying it.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Test series victories in Australia don’t come around often. Back to back and this time with a squad being increasingly decimated with every match deeper into the series. This goes down as one of the greatest comeback victories ever, up there with a WC for me.

More positives is Gill showed he belongs, Siraj has been a massive find, Sundar looks like he can be a handy option and hopefully this now puts beyond doubt in the mind of management that Pant is the man, persevere with him and allow his talent to blossom.

Aussies kind of embarrassed themselves all round here, being lead by the most pathetic captain in their history. Only thing he leads the way in.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Would have been great to see the 5th day of both these matches.

Greatest match win for India? I still think 2001 Eden. This one featured a B team away in a decider, but that was against a GOAT team on a massive winning streak, from a really dead lost position. I think this one goes with 2008 Perth and maybe a few other away wins (Durban 2010, the win in Australia in 2003 which were against better teams).

Greatest series win? Clearly.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Nah, can’t say I’m sure. You’re probably right, but Smith (unlike Warner) doesn’t seem like a bad bloke.

Is there a reason not to go with Labuschagne? I guess players might not respect a captain that inexperienced but they seem to respect Paine despite him never having done anything.

To be honest, if both Labuschagne and Cummins completely lost their ability to play cricket overnight, I bet Cummins would be the one to miss out first.

NinjaFletch

Is there a reason not to go with Labuschagne? I guess players might not respect a captain that inexperienced but they seem to respect Paine despite him never having done anything.

To be honest, if both Labuschagne and Cummins completely lost their ability to play cricket overnight, I bet Cummins would be the one to miss out first.
Obviously it's hard to judge based on what we see, but the evidence of Labuschange from The Test doesn't scream leader. He looked more like a competition winner who was excited to be hanging around with his heroes. Good batsmen though he is, I'm not sure he's got the character to captain that side.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao

I dont think Labuschagne has much experience captaining and Cummins has said that he does not want to be captain.

The IPL version of Warner would have been a good captain but the Australian version of Warner means zero chance of being captain.

MDFC Manager

The IPL version of Warner would have been a good captain but the Australian version of Warner means zero chance of being captain.
Haha that's interesting, I agree that the IPL version of Warner would be a very suitable captain indeed.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Obviously it's hard to judge based on what we see, but the evidence of Labuschange from The Test doesn't scream leader. He looked more like a competition winner who was excited to be hanging around with his heroes. Good batsmen though he is, I'm not sure he's got the character to captain that side.
You do get all sorts of different personalities as captains though. You'd be waiting a long time before your next Steve Waugh came along.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
18 match England squad announced for first two matches. Pandya included. Nattu dropped. Ashwin, Bumrah and Kohli included.
I guess we'll see

Rohit
Gill
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Pant
Pandya
Ashwin
Kuldeep
Ishant
Bumrah

We play with four bowlers at home. Guess if they want five bowlers then play Axar or Sundar instead of Kuldeep and play Siraj instead of Pandya but I'd go with the above team.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Would have been great to see the 5th day of both these matches.

Greatest match win for India? I still think 2001 Eden. This one featured a B team away in a decider, but that was against a GOAT team on a massive winning streak, from a really dead lost position. I think this one goes with 2008 Perth and maybe a few other away wins (Durban 2010, the win in Australia in 2003 which were against better teams).

Greatest series win? Clearly.
Just see the bowling lineup of Australia 2003. I don't think they were necessarily better at all.

NinjaFletch

You do get all sorts of different personalities as captains though. You'd be waiting a long time before your next Steve Waugh came along.
Sure, but let's be honest. There's still a lot of macho bravado in that Aussie team and the impression they give off throughout that docu is they think Marnus is a weird bloke they don't understand. Obviously Smith is similarly weird and it worked fine, but the impression is very much that Marnus is seen as his sidekick.

Last edited:

bleedred

Wow looking at Ponting's quote, I would think his job security at Delhi Capitals has to come into question (regardless of their recent success) considering his best player won the match today. If I was one of them (i.e. Pant, Shaw) I would tell him to f*ck off.

TBF to all those comments, at that point nobody could have denied such statements. Just look even here where almost everyone including me predicted a whitewash

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
The Indian batsmen will be rightly lauded for this win against odds. But let's not forget Siraj, who managed extract more from this pitch than most of the Aussie bowlers. Took the key wickets of Smith and Labuschagne and cleaned up the tail along with Shardul, which prevented Aus from taking a 380+ lead.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Fantastic stuff by India. Against all odds as well, although you also have to take into account the match situation also allowed India to win the series.
Australia have issues, even Starc and Lyon were ineffective. England definitely have a chance next winter.
India should comfortably beat England (although England are much better than lots of India supporters on here realize) and for the test World championships face New Zeeland in the summer at Lords. Conditions will favour the Kiwi seamers there so the batsman are going to be tested... I’m putting a few bob on NZ!

zing

Zingle balls
Fantastic stuff by India. Against all odds as well, although you also have to take into account the match situation also allowed India to win the series.
Australia have issues, even Starc and Lyon were ineffective. England definitely have a chance next winter.
India should comfortably beat England (although England are much better than lots of India supporters on here realize) and for the test World championships face New Zeeland in the summer at Lords. Conditions will favour the Kiwi seamers there so the batsman are going to be tested... I’m putting a few bob on NZ!

India v Australia will be a better contest but I wish we face NZ. I think NZ are overrated now in test cricket

zing

Zingle balls
It's a shame test cricket doesnt have good teams other than 3-4. Competitive test cricket is brilliant to watch.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I think we realise, to be honest. I really don't see us rolling them over. It'll be a great series, for sure.

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
18 match England squad announced for first two matches. Pandya included. Nattu dropped. Ashwin, Bumrah and Kohli included.
I guess we'll see

Rohit
Gill
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Pant
Pandya
Ashwin
Kuldeep
Ishant
Bumrah

We play with four bowlers at home. Guess if they want five bowlers then play Axar or Sundar instead of Kuldeep and play Siraj instead of Pandya but I'd go with the above team.
As good as it is. Shami if he was available.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I think we realise, to be honest. I really don't see us rolling them over. It'll be a great series, for sure.
The Indian fans on here will as usual panic at times, but India will beat England comfortably. Lack of decent spin and an inexperienced batting line up are England's major issues.

Anyway I just wanted that was an absolutely brilliant win by India, considering the 36 all out and the fact that India lost all of the last 3 tosses away from home with that amount of injuries. I can't think of a greater away Test series performance all things considered.

JohnnyKills

Sure, but let's be honest. There's still a lot of macho bravado in that Aussie team and the impression they give off throughout that docu is they think Marnus is a weird bloke they don't understand. Obviously Smith is similarly weird and it worked fine, but the impression is very much that Marnus is seen as his sidekick.
Yeah, plus he's really only a year into test cricket isn't he.

kiristao

I guess we'll see

Rohit
Gill
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Pant
Pandya
Ashwin
Kuldeep
Ishant
Bumrah

Might go for Jadeja over Pandya. Jadejas bowling might be a better option in Indian conditions and he is as handy a batsman as Pandya is.