Cricket

AshRK

I see, ya that makes more sense and is a valid point. Pretty crazy that this Aussie attack was so inept, apart from the always great Cummins.
Lyon and starc were a major disappointment. Shane warne in his commentary tried his best to defend lyon and act as if he is the best spinner to play this game but he was poor. Starc had a shocker. He has to regroup and come back stronger. Funny how it was starc who decided to skip IPL to focus on test and aussie media praised him but Cummins amd Hazelwood outperformed him.

mav_9me

I suspect Starc has an injury. Who knows, he just might be terribly out of form.

Mindhunter

Lyon and starc were a major disappointment. Shane warne in his commentary tried his best to defend lyon and act as if he is the best spinner to play this game but he was poor. Starc had a shocker. He has to regroup and come back stronger. Funny how it was starc who decided to skip IPL to focus on test and aussie media praised him but Cummins amd Hazelwood outperformed him.
Not really Warne heavily criticised him for not balling in the outside the off stump channel and for not having a silly point which allowed Pujara and Gill to be that bit relaxed while defending. In fact he wouldn’t shut up about it.

Mindhunter

How good was Gill? I'm blown away. He looks as good as any batsman I've seen. He looks destined to be our best batsmen (not talking ever) while he is playing.
He was brilliant. He is such a lanky fellow who looks like he bunked college to come and play. Love how confident strokeplay and the nonchalance with which he dismissed Starc. The IPL has really done wonders for the mentality of the players. They are fearless.

sport2793

I chuckled at the number of leg side deliveries Starc bowled. Reminded me of Varun Aaron (although not as bad of course). Really was a shambolic performance.

mav_9me

Not really Warne heavily criticised him for not balling in the outside the off stump channel and for not having a silly point which allowed Pujara and Gill to be that bit relaxed while defending. In fact he wouldn’t shut up about it.
Tbh it was baffling to me too. Agreed he was annoying abt it but you can imagine his frustration.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
OMG Dodda Ganesh :lol: They players we had back then, Mohanty was another gem. .... I remember stanning Abey Kuruvilla hard when he first came on the scene. He also set up what should have been an easy run chase of 120 in Windies. How I was convinced that Vijay Bhardwaj would be the great Indian all rounder.
There was some charm to watching Indian team then, watching absolute garbage players like Salil Ankola in the same team as Sachin. Or "Fast" bowlers like Paras Mambhrey,
Completely agree on Abey Kuruvilla. Used to follow his progress while he was still playing Ranji for Mumnbai and was sure he would be better than Prasad for India simply because he was faster than him. I remember the match you are talking about. Chasing 120 odd we got bowled out for 70 something :lol:

Vishal Bhardwaj - Man of the series in his first tournament and then :lol:

And stop shitting on Mumbai players :mad:

Jokes aside both Kuruvilla and Mahambrey were Captain's players. Think in those days, the captain could pick 1 or 2 players that he wanted to be part of the 14/16 player squad for a series. Both Kuruvilla and Mahambrey got in because Sachin was the captain and he chose them. Not sure if its still the case when it comes to selection of players for a series.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
If there is one thing out side of Steve Waugh and John Buchannan to make Warne angry it would be crap bowling and crap field placements.

He can go over the top but Warne knows his shit when it comes to bowling tactics.

JohnnyKills

I suspect Starc has an injury. Who knows, he just might be terribly out of form.
Maybe he's just getting on a bit? Been around for a while now. All it needs is for his pace to drop slightly and his effectiveness will decline considerably.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Maybe he's just getting on a bit? Been around for a while now. All it needs is for his pace to drop slightly and his effectiveness will decline considerably.
Starc is only 31 though, I think it is a combo of Aussie pitches not suiting him, he is out of form and also against better batting nations his red ball bowling goes crap.

I think he might be reaching the end of his test career though (apart from day night tests).

mav_9me

His pace hasn't dropped though, it was easy 145. Unless that's lower than before.

He's probably just out of form.

mav_9me

If there is one thing out side of Steve Waugh and John Buchannan to make Warne angry it would be crap bowling and crap field placements.

He can go over the top but Warne knows his shit when it comes to bowling tactics.
Steve Waugh making Warne angry? What's that about?

Yeah it can be a bit grating but I guess he is passionate.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Steve Waugh making Warne angry? What's that about?

Yeah it can be a bit grating but I guess he is passionate.
Warne has never forgiven S.Waugh for dropping him during the Aussie tour of the West Indies in 1999 and being Test captain over him.

I love Warnie (as any good Melbournian Should) but he holds his grudges and is an egotistical wanker.

Still would kill to have a 25 year old Warne in Aussie colours right now

mav_9me

Warne has never forgiven S.Waugh for dropping him during the Aussie tour of the West Indies in 1999 and being Test captain over him.

I love Warnie (as any good Melbournian Should) but he holds his grudges and is an egotistical wanker.

Interesting. Did not know that. Hard to be captain over Waugh but then I can imagine he thinks he knows a few things.

He was amazing though. I could watch Warne bowl for days and days in a test match. Basically my fav thing to do in cricket.

JohnnyKills

I also love Warne. He comes across as a decent guy most of the time and the people who've worked with him as a commentator say good things about him. But he also seems like a bit of a man-child.

JohnnyKills

Interesting. Did not know that. Hard to be captain over Waugh but then I can imagine he thinks he knows a few things.

He was amazing though. I could watch Warne bowl for days and days in a test match. Basically my fav thing to do in cricket.
Think the argument is that anyone could have captained that Aussie team from 99 to 03 and Warne would have made them even easier. His success with RR and Hampshire certainly puts a strong case.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
I also love Warne. He comes across as a decent guy most of the time and the people who've worked with him as a commentator say good things about him. But he also seems like a bit of a man-child.
Warne wh-en talking about cricket is a genius of man, and is a decent bloke all round ( Have met up at my local cricket club and it was a pleasure) But his ego and his non cricket mind can take over very fast.

On Aussie TV he cant rant about pizza toppings, Gin or any random crap but on Sky he is far better

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Astonishing win against all odds. Even in Pakistan, who are generally great rivals praise of India is top trending subject.

AshRK

Astonishing win against all odds. Even in Pakistan, who are generally great rivals praise of India is top trending subject.
Yes, was listening to some news outlet from Pakistan and they were full of praise. It is sad cricket between these two great cricketing nation is not happening frequently.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Think the argument is that anyone could have captained that Aussie team from 99 to 03 and Warne would have made them even easier. His success with RR and Hampshire certainly puts a strong case.
Warne would have won less games but games would have been far more entertaining, And also I reckon Australia would have been less sledgy.

Warne loved and respected players having a go at him (and deep down only really hated white South Africans like any good Aussie)

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Yes, was listening to some news outlet from Pakistan and they were full of praise. It is sad cricket between these two great cricketing nation is not happening frequently.
I do miss seeing matches in Pakistan, especially with India in Pakistan and Australia in Pakistan.

mav_9me

Good to know cuz this is an amazing feat.

I was telling my son (doesn't fully get cricket) this is like United under 21 with Maguire (Rahane), Martial (Sharma) and Fred (Pujara) beating Liverpool in Anfield.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Good stuff by Pakistan to get SA all out for 220. Back in home conditions, the batsmen should put up more of a fight than in NZ.

ha_rooney

Rabada getting good bounce & both openers are gone. Never change Pakistan.

ha_rooney

Decent day for Pakistan. Fawad with a vital 100. Faheem’s recent batting form has continued which is important as he gives us the pace all-rounder option in Tests we’ve needed for a while.

A lead of 100+ would put us in a good position.

freeurmind

weak willed
Bowl the inaccurate seamer 27 overs and the 2nd spinner 12 overs on a turning pitch. Proteas logic. Half of this batting lineup should go if we lose this series.

ha_rooney

Really patient batting from SA. Pitch has died quite a bit since day 1. Anything above 180 will be tricky for Pakistan given our habitual batting collapses.

freeurmind

weak willed
Really patient batting from SA. Pitch has died quite a bit since day 1. Anything above 180 will be tricky for Pakistan given our habitual batting collapses.
I will eat my hat if SA set Pakistan anything above 100

ha_rooney

I will eat my hat if SA set Pakistan anything above 100
:lol: - well they only need 80 more runs to get there! It’s been patient batting so far, with 2 full days left there’s no need to bat silly. Pitch isn’t really doing much, more a battle of concentration at the moment.

edit - just as I say that, Yasir gets one to spin! Tough chance but got to catch them.

ha_rooney

Got him! Excellent bowling from Yasir setting him up for the LBW.